Hot Rod article on using a Prius electric power steering unit by Quad Raider
Started on: 02-25-2019 05:58 PM
Replies: 33 (4719 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 08-02-2019 03:48 AM
Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2019 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone see this article on using the 2nd generation (2004-2009) Prius electric power steering unit?

https://www.hotrod.com/arti...yard-prius-delivers/

According to the article, the advantage is that the Prius unit has a fail safe mode that causes the unit to act as though the car is doing 43 mph, which eliminates the need for a vehicle speed sensor signal and makes it a stand-alone adaptation (once it's hooked to power sources).
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JMTUT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2019 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JMTUTSend a Private Message to JMTUTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've seen that article. I'm considering using an entire Toyota steering column for mine. Just have to source one at the yard first.

Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2019 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man, I would love to see that detailed and written up in the How To section!
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2019 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have thought about this a lot lately. I just helped a friend replace his EPS in his Taurus. These things are pretty simple in design, its just finding the best one to work with.
darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2019 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did some research on this a couple of years ago when I did my EPS conversion. The Prius unit is a little smaller than the Vue unit I used, so it has that going for it ( especially for a manual car). The Saturn Vue conversion is well documented, and that swayed my choice. Using the threads here on PFF, I was able to install with no issues. Cost is moderate, compared to doing F-body hydraulic swap. I installed one of Bruno's variable controllers, with a three position toggle switch. Allows on the fly Low, Med, or High assist. The stock one, where you set once, would probably work OK, as I tended to leave mine on the Mid point all the time.

------------------
'87 GT , '00 3800 Series II SC, 4t65e, Vue Power Steering. (SOLD)

Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2019 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
darbysan, did you post a thread about your installation? If not, would you share some photos of what you did?
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2019 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This guy put a Nissan electric power steering unit in his '64 Falcon. He has a whole series of videos showing different EPS setups that operate in fail safe mode. Fail safe mode allows the unit to operate without having to communicate with the car's computer.

He converted his Falcon to rack and pinion and then added the EPS. In the video he demonstrates turning the steering wheel with one finger.

https://www.youtube.com/wat...nue=76&v=lDGjRSHUj1g

Here's the link to the forum for more information.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/...es.html#post19425307

[This message has been edited by Quad Raider (edited 03-27-2019).]

darbysan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2019 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Quad Raider:

darbysan, did you post a thread about your installation? If not, would you share some photos of what you did?

Sorry for the late reply- didn't see the question.

Here are the threads I used for my install:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/095326.html
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/138106.html

Here's my thread on the small changes I made doing mine
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/139446.html
------------------

[This message has been edited by darbysan (edited 03-27-2019).]

Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2019 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, darbysan. Great job on the installation and write-up.

Would you recommend adding EPS to other Fiero owners? I've never driven a Fiero so I have no frame of reference.
darbysan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2019 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks, darbysan. Great job on the installation and write-up.

Would you recommend adding EPS to other Fiero owners? I've never driven a Fiero so I have no frame of reference.

Would I recommend it - yes! Is it a hotly debated topic- Yes! I found the turning forces necessary to drive around town, coupled with trying to shift, etc, was too much for me. If you have larger tires, that also adds to the problem. If you have a spouse that also drives the Fiero, I think they will also appreciate the improvement.

With the adjustments available to modulate the amount of Power Steering effort available, you can adjust it to your liking. Doing the Electric PS conversion was much cheaper than the Hydraulic style of PS conversion, and does not require a re-alignment after install. It is a hassle working up under the dash, and does require some welding, but still easily doable in a weekend.

------------------

Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2019 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fantastic. Thank you. I don't have any interest in the hydraulic version, for various reasons, mostly because I don't want to clutter up my Quad 4 any more than absolutely necessary. When I saw that Hot Rod article about EPS I thought, dang, that looks like a great solution.

I like the idea of using the setup that doesn't require the unit to speak to the car's computer, plus finding Priuses/Corollas/Nissans with the right unit at my favorite salvage will be easy. And I'm always looking for an excuse to MIG weld something.
PFF
System Bot
darbysan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2019 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Prius running in Limp Home mode will not have as much power assist as it would normally provide. It is still some assist, but not normal. The Vue unit does not talk to the computer, but uses an inexpensive module available on ebay that simulates normal operation. Those controllers are available in several different formats, to give adjust-ability to the power levels. One other thing to consider is the quality of the excellent write-ups on the PFF site, specific to the Fiero. It sure made it easy for me, not to have to do a lot of engineering work.

On the positive side, if you have a manual car, the Prius unit is slightly smaller, and may fit better. And if you choose to go the Prius route, please take lots of pictures and write up your experience for the other folks here on the site.

Here are some of the other links I used in my research of non-Vue types. This may help.
https://www.ffcars.com/foru...o-caster-issues.html
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_111532/article.html

------------------

Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2019 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darbysan:

Here are some of the other links I used in my research of non-Vue types. This may help.
https://www.ffcars.com/foru...o-caster-issues.html
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_111532/article.html

Oh, one of those links features content from the same guy I linked to.

A while back I promised myself to make getting my car on the road a priority, which means paint, interior and Quad 4 swap, and not diving into any major projects for it until it's been on the road for a while. EPS qualifies as that kind of project, but it's still fascinating to me.

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2019 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IMO the original power steering design that was to be used on the Fiero (and dropped) ended up on the Saturn's. That unit uses a separate electric pump probably making an install easier.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2019 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

IMO the original power steering design that was to be used on the Fiero (and dropped) ended up on the Saturn's. That unit uses a separate electric pump probably making an install easier.

Hey Dennis, not to take this off tracks, but which Saturn(s) had an electric pump?

Bob
Fiero Vampire

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2019 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero VampireSend a Private Message to Fiero VampireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bob I believe Dennis is talking about the Saturn EV1
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2019 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been giving this a lot of thought and it occurred to me that I was already planning to use an aftermarket VSS to make my Fiero's speedometer work with my Quad 4/Getrag swap. I imagine I could use that signal to communicate with an EPS from a GM car.

My brother drives an '08 HHR and had to replace the EPS motor once, which he later found out was under recall. HHRs are probably the single most common vehicle at my favorite salvage yard, too.
darbysan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2019 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've been giving this a lot of thought and it occurred to me that I was already planning to use an aftermarket VSS to make my Fiero's speedometer work with my Quad 4/Getrag swap. I imagine I could use that signal to communicate with an EPS from a GM car.

My brother drives an '08 HHR and had to replace the EPS motor once, which he later found out was under recall. HHRs are probably the single most common vehicle at my favorite salvage yard, too.

You can save yourself a lot of hassle by using the $20 controller off Ebay for the Saturn Vue EPS, and using the excellent write-up on modifying the Fiero and Saturn EPS to work together. Otherwise, you will have to do a considerable amount of engineering. For example, most modern cars use a CAN-BUS network to transfer info, so the VSS signal may be encoded, and will likely be different than a stock VSS signal we are used to working with. I don't know that this is the case, but just an example of one of the things you will have to work out.

------------------

Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2019 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ah, I see. Yet another reason to set this project aside for after I get my swap/resto/mod finished and reliably on the road.
darbysan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2019 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ah, I see. Yet another reason to set this project aside for after I get my swap/resto/mod finished and reliably on the road.

If you are going to have the dash , pedals or steering column out for any reason, you'll get a lot of access that will make this easier.
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2019 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just came across this thread. Seems installing a power rack would be preferable to adding a motor to the steering shaft on the column.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/097770.html
PFF
System Bot
darbysan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2019 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just came across this thread. Seems installing a power rack would be preferable to adding a motor to the steering shaft on the column.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/097770.html

EPS motor to the shaft has already been successfully done. Engineering to make it work successful. Electric Power rack not done, mostly because there has not been identified a rack that turns in the same direction as the Fiero, that would fit, that has been successfully installed. Installing new rack requires re-alignment of the front end, an additional expense. That being said, if someone had done this, and it was easy ( minimal welding, machining, etc) I would agree that it's easier than working under the dash.

------------------

Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2019 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So far the only GM vehicle I can find with the motor on the rack and the tie rod ends in front of the knuckles is the late-model GM Colorado/Canyon pickup.

https://picclick.com/NEW-OE...ng-142731194658.html

Looks like the pickup’s track width is slightly bigger, 59.7” for the Fiero and 62.4” for the pickup, if the numbers I found are accurate.

[This message has been edited by Quad Raider (edited 07-28-2019).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2019 02:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darbysan:

Would I recommend it - yes! Is it a hotly debated topic- Yes! I found the turning forces necessary to drive around town, coupled with trying to shift, etc, was too much for me. If you have larger tires, that also adds to the problem. If you have a spouse that also drives the Fiero, I think they will also appreciate the improvement.

Another situation where power steering would really be appreciated on a Fiero is while autocrossing, especially on a tight twisty course!
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2019 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Quad Raider: I've never driven a Fiero so I have no frame of reference.

That's interesting coming from a member since Dec 2010 with 861 posts that's doing a Quad 4 swap...
No one near Oologah to let you try one out?
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2019 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Another situation where power steering would really be appreciated on a Fiero is while autocrossing, especially on a tight twisty course!

Power steering with a faster ratio.

I have never had any issue with the steering effort (even with 245 front tires), but the steering ratio is a little lazy for the tight 90 degree turns on the street as well as autocrossing.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2019 02:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Power steering with a faster ratio.

Good point. It was not so much a problem with resistance/effort required as it was with moving the steering wheel fast and far enough while navigating a series of quick, hard, back and forth turns. On some courses, it was a quite a workout!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-29-2019).]

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2019 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It was not so much a problem with resistance/effort required

it was with moving the steering wheel fast and far enough

Those are two sides of the same coin; a driver with insufficient muscular POWER for the maneuvers he wishes to perform.

You could have manual steering with the same ratio as the fast "power steering" setup (such as a de-powered power steering rack), and it would address your reported issue with turning fast and far enough.

However, with that sort of setup, the resistance/effort would rise, above that of the slow manual setup. That's why manufacturers slow down the ratio with manual steering setups.

It boils down to the limitation on driver arm power.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2019 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never felt the need for power steering as I seldom parallel park with mine and like the road hugging feel of manual steering on the highway. Might change one day if I am still driving my Fieros in my 80's!
IIRC the Saturn Vue system that darbysan used was a column mounted assembly. No doubt it works well but its an involved modification. My daily driver cars all use a motor assisted rack and this looks like the simplest solution. There is probably one that might be a direct fit but it hasn't been discovered yet. A system using an electric powered hydraulic pump with a PS rack probably makes most sense right now.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2019 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

Those are two sides of the same coin; a driver with insufficient muscular POWER for the maneuvers he wishes to perform.

It boils down to the limitation on driver arm power.

I'll never be mistaken for Arnie, but I'm not exactly a wimp. lol

Perhaps I should also mention that I have an undersized aftermarket Momo steering wheel installed which adversely affects the available leverage.

It was not so much a problem with resistance/effort required as it was with moving the steering wheel fast and far enough while navigating a series of quick, hard, back and forth turns. On some courses, it was a quite a workout!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-29-2019).]

Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2019 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

That's interesting coming from a member since Dec 2010 with 861 posts that's doing a Quad 4 swap...
No one near Oologah to let you try one out?

I’ve never asked. I did ride in a Fiero once. My brother owned a couple GTs 15 or 20 years ago. He went through a period in his life when he was trying out a lot of different types of cars. That’s how he became a fan of the Beretta GTZ, especially the Quad powered version, and that’s how I arrived at the decision to swap a Quad into a Fiero. He thought a Quad in a Fiero would be perfect.

The only thing that stood out to me when I rode in his Fiero is that the auto transmission badly needed a fourth gear.
PFF
System Bot
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2019 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Quad Raider

865 posts
Member since Dec 2010
Seems likely that there’s a vehicle out there with a power rack that moves the correct way and will fit on a Fiero.

On the Colorado/Canyon rack, the motor is mounted on the bottom, which would work well on a Fiero.
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2019 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Funny how after you do some google searches, ads similar to what you were looking for pop up on your FB feed. This one popped up today:

I believe it won't work on a Fiero because it moves the wrong way, but it's the first one I've seen that has the motor inline with the tie rod end. If we could find this design that attaches to the vehicle in front of the knuckles, seems like it would be an ideal setup for the Fiero.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2019 03:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the time being the easiest solution appears to be using a rack that uses an electric pump. WCF makes a conversion kit that allows such a rack to be installed.forum member Spoon has such a rack and electric pump on his Fiero

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock