Saturn Vue Electric Power Steering in Manual GT by Fiervette
Started on: 06-02-2016 12:42 AM
Replies: 7 (2621 views)
Last post by: anaverin on 11-12-2020 01:02 PM
Fiervette

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2016 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FiervetteSend a Private Message to FiervetteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I decided to install a Vue Electric Power Steering in my LS1 Swapped 1986 GT. I ran across this thread and used some of his ideas and methods:

EPS Swap into Auto

Here is how I installed this in a 1986 GT Manual. I did several things quite differently.
For one thing, I did a lot less cutting and modifying. I did not cut or grind anything on the actual Vue EPS unit outside of the wires. I was able to retain the collapsing feature at both ends. I also did not do any machining or buy any expensive aftermarket parts. I just used a cut off wheel, a grinder, and welded. I used a 1/8" x 1" steel bar to fabricate a bracket. I also did not grind out the inside of the tilt mechanism. Nor did I cut, remove, or modify pedal assembly. I was able to retain all clutch and brake switches.
Here is what I did for the lower shaft. I just cut the lower universal off of both lower shafts, and welded the Fiero one on to the Vue shaft. This made it collapsible and easy to install. I just put it in the rubber boot, bolted to the rack, and left hanging until after the column was completed and installed.

As far as the pedals and switches: I did not remove or modify the pedal assembly. For the clutch start switch, I just spaced it away with a stack of 5 washers. Sorry, but I was unable to get a good picture. It should be straightforward, just remove the screw and place washers and tighten back down. I did modify the inner brake and clutch switches. I cut the unneeded set of contacts from each, and re-installed.

I did the upper column differently. I cut the top off the Vue shaft and ground the hole just large enough to fit the Fiero shaft in. I just stuck this through the tilt upper part, with the black locking part and welded the shaft. I did not worry about being able to push it through. I was able to assemble the column like this. I was a bit of a pain, but a lot less trouble than grinding all of that out.

Instead of grinding the original Vue mounts off and fabricating a new type mount, I just made a bracket to use the Vue mounts. It attaches to the Fiero lower column mount studs.

I cut off the bottom of the column removing the lower mount. I just took the Vue lower column and inserted in the Fiero column. I did a test fit in the car and tacked it in place. I remove it and welded it up. I think I did the rest of it the same as AL68 did. Here is what it looked like just prior to installing.

Here is the setup installed. It is tilted down more, but hasn’t bothered me.

I have driven it quite a bit like this. Made one highway trip and did an autocross. There is not a lot of room above my foot when on the clutch, but just took some getting used to. Does not interfere with operation at all.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2016 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiervette:

I have driven it quite a bit like this... did an autocross

I autocross my '88 Formula, and I've often thought how nice it would be to have power steering in the tight corners when there doesn't seem to be enough time to quickly crank the steering wheel around. Did you notice that the addition of power steering made life easier for you at autocross?
mender

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2016 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for menderSend a Private Message to menderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put a 2001 TA rack on my chump Fiero, made the car much nicer to drive and a lot easier to catch those rear end twitches.
Fiervette

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2016 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FiervetteSend a Private Message to FiervetteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, autocrossing is the main reason I did this. I started doing that this year, and with the tires being almost twice as wide as stock, the low speed corners were tough. I would come home with my neck and shoulders aching. Being a novice, I still suck at autocrossing but it is a lot more enjoyable now.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2016 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mender:

I put a 2001 TA rack on my chump Fiero, made the car much nicer to drive and a lot easier to catch those rear end twitches.

Yes, autocrossing is the main reason I did this. I started doing that this year, and with the tires being almost twice as wide as stock, the low speed corners were tough. I would come home with my neck and shoulders aching. Being a novice, I still suck at autocrossing but it is a lot more enjoyable now.

It seems over the years that most people who've posted about wanting power steering in their Fieros did so because they found parking to be an issue. More than once I've good-naturedly teased them about being "wimps". I still feel that power steering for strictly street-driven Fieros is rather unnecessary.

However, I've got to admit that power steering would sure come in handy for autocross. With wide, relatively sticky tires on the front (and a Momo steering wheel smaller in diameter than stock), I occasionally struggle in tight turns. I'm glad to see that other people who track their Fieros find power steering to be helpful.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-06-2016).]

lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2016 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In the 80's Firebirds had a 3 spoke wheel that looked just like the GT steering wheel but slightly thinner and had a larger diameter. You can even swap the center horn cap with the Fiero GT horn cap directly. Definitely made steering easier in that car ... which I've since sold.

Can be seen here: http://www.facebook.com/pho...82870&type=3&theater

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 06-06-2016).]

darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2017 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

James, a question on your install. Can't tell if the motor or controller box is interfering with the stock fuse panel. Can you drop / raise the fuse panel as the motor is currently situated? If not, could the "ears" where the long stock Vue mounting bolt attaches be rotated up/down around the axis of your new mounting plate to allow the motor to swing up out of the way some more?

Nice work.
------------------
'87 GT , '00 3800 Series II SC, 4t65e.

[This message has been edited by darbysan (edited 01-09-2017).]

anaverin

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2020 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for anaverinSend a Private Message to anaverinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/099542.html

We are doing a power steering system with a RX-8 rack, but still use the vue controller and torque sensors. i figured out a good way to modify the column without disassembling down to the tilt which i didnt really want to do. Instead we cut the column at the collar and will reweld it later. check out our thread, i believe you could use this thread and ours to make the vue system work, as ours is the same , minus the motor and trimming the case for extra foot clearance.

------------------
86 SE FASTBACK T-TOPS
88 FORMULA 4.9
87 GT MEDIUM RED METALLIC stockish

EMAIL : Anaverin@gmail.com

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave