Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Preparing my Fiero for an engine swap (Page 6)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Preparing my Fiero for an engine swap by longjonsilver
Started on: 05-07-2018 06:59 PM
Replies: 222 (7473 views)
Last post by: longjonsilver on 02-27-2024 01:43 PM
longjonsilver

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2020 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bracket for accessory belt tensioner complete but rough, grinding and painting to come. Still the belt lines up very well.

That means that the belts are done, now on to wiring.

Rant: i now have 5 electrical things on Freya that need to be fixed. The headlight motors, the windshield wipers, the radiator fan, the tachometer, and the remote trunk lid release.

Cant seem to find fixes for these bugs. Very frustrating

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

IP: Logged
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2020 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

Wait until you have a laundry list of items that need verification by putting the engine + cradle into the chassis. You'll minimize the total number of "in and out" times.

Been a long time since i posted. My motor is now out of the car. Built a beam in the attic with a hook down thru the ceiling. Once the motor was unhooked from the rest of the car, it took a max of 15 minutes to slide the motor out the side. i expect i will have to put in in several times to check the measurements. My motor mounts are going to work just fine, i think. Gonna have to angle my angle to the cradle too. i spect that i will be able to measure and build a dogbone, and tack it in place to the alternator tensioner bracket.

jon

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2020 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i'm trying to mount my engine on the cradle for a test fit and my motor mounts are too far forward on the cradle.

When i braced the forward tranny mount, as often discussed, i put the bolts on the drivers side holes. Maybe i should have put the bolts on the passenger side holes as this would have shifted my motor rearward. Any thots?

Would moving the tranny bolts to the passenger side holes cause a problem?

jon

------------------

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2020 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by longjonsilver:

i'm trying to mount my engine on the cradle for a test fit and my motor mounts are too far forward on the cradle.

No they are not too far forward, they are in the correct spot. i need to modify my motor mounts to fit.

When i braced the forward tranny mount, as often discussed, i put the bolts on the drivers side holes. Maybe i should have put the bolts on the passenger side holes as this would have shifted my motor rearward. Any thots?

Yep, now the engine is too far back in the compartment and i will have trouble with the exhaust. Plenty of room in front to clear the hinges. Gonna move the engine 3cm forward and mount the forward motor mount on top of the cradle.

Would moving the tranny bolts to the passenger side holes cause a problem?Yep, see above.

jon

------------------

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2020 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

longjonsilver

1064 posts
Member since Nov 2001
Getting my motor painted.

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2020 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

longjonsilver

1064 posts
Member since Nov 2001
On the cradle. Gonna put it in for a test run to see if stuff fits...

jon

------------------

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2020 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

longjonsilver

1064 posts
Member since Nov 2001
And its in...(sortof)

Engine is nice and low - bottom of oil pan is flush with bottom of cradle, but engine sits crooked in compartment.

------------------

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2020 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

longjonsilver

1064 posts
Member since Nov 2001
And some detail pics:

The SC roller with the ICM cut off.

The tensioner for the accessory belt, with the dogbone mount, tacked up till final fitting....

N the dogbone bracket in place - looks low, i could raise it up 1cm.

The coolant fill from a duke - this is the second iteration - the first one was too tall. i might have to modify this one as well.....

------------------

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2020 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

longjonsilver

1064 posts
Member since Nov 2001
Well, that "catches me up" to today.

Fuel lines hooked up to filter and fuel rail. The fuel injectors have been cleaned, new filters and o rings installed, but one washer on bottom broke....

Throttle adaption. The pink are slotted holes to allow bracket to slide to the right 5mm. The yellow arrow is where i widened the slot to allow the lead of the cable to fit inside. The green is where i slid a bolt thru to hook the ring from the cable. The white is where i modified the 84 cable to fit in the 3800 slot.

While some of you might do this job in no time, for me this was a good day's work. i also found the other bolts and nuts from the fuel rail, they were lost in my parts bin...

jon

------------------

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2020 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

While I have seen this done a lot, it is a really bad idea to have a hose barb fuel connection(s) located a few inches above an exhaust manifold, especially when the fuel pressure is going to be 50+ psi. You might want to rethink the placement of the fuel system components.
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2020 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:
While I have seen this done a lot, it is a really bad idea to have a hose barb fuel connection(s) located a few inches above an exhaust manifold, especially when the fuel pressure is going to be 50+ psi. You might want to rethink the placement of the fuel system components.

Any ideas how?

jon

------------------

PFF
System Bot
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2021 06:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Engine is in, all wired up, vacuum lines run, won't run on gasoline. Quick start causes her to run. Gonna test the wiring to the injectors to see if they are firing. Still, i am happy that Freya looks like a car again, not a pile of parts in the garage.

Thanks to all that have assisted me in this endeavor.

jon

------------------

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2021 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Freya is back on the road with her 3800SC. Still some hiccups but she starts fast, shifts easy, sounds good, not too loud. Maybe i will post some pics of her build.....

jon

------------------

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 3800SC, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2021 07:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anybody know the redline and orange line of a 3800SC series 2?

------------------

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 3800SC, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

ignorant prodigy

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2021 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ignorant prodigySend a Private Message to ignorant prodigyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
from an RPM perspective?
5500 - 6000 is yellow and 6000-7000 and beyond is "danger to the manifold"
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2021 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ignorant prodigy:from an RPM perspective? 5500 - 6000 is yellow and 6000-7000 and beyond is "danger to the manifold"

Thanks Prodigy. i got on it last nite merging onto the freeway, and was listening to the whine of the supercharger and the motor cut out. i backed off on the throttle and she fired right up. Then i noticed i was in the orange of my GT speedo. Thats why i am asking today.

jon

------------------

ignorant prodigy

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2021 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ignorant prodigySend a Private Message to ignorant prodigyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hmm, there is a rev limiter, I think set to 6000? been along time since I've checked..
but I dont think that would shut you down...maybe a speed governor? how fast were you going?
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2021 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ignorant prodigy:hmm, there is a rev limiter, I think set to 6000? been along time since I've checked..
but I dont think that would shut you down...maybe a speed governor? how fast were you going?

My speedo doesn't work so i don't know how fast i was going. i was thinking about a speed limiter in the computer.

------------------

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2022 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i just posted this on our WhatsApp group for Nova Scotia Fieros"

When i heard his car that first (modern) run, i wanted one. And i have to report that Freya feels like i have a whole different car - i now call her "My new car". i was sooooo tired of working on my car last year and worried about her breaking down that i never really enjoyed her. But now she feels like a whole new car. Yes she still has her quirks - most of which are electrical - but like wow! Today i was merging north on the 102 from Kearney Lake Rd around 1300 and as usual traffic was heavy, and you have to accelerate UPHILL, but with my new car, NO PROBLEM - just give her some gas and accelerate ahead of the traffic to an opening and then merge into the right lane and then accelerate into the fast lane. What a perfect engine for a Fiero - lotsa tork down low, but she just keeps pulling as you rev higher, a wide power band. i am learning to hear her engine sounds - pitch mostly - and know when to shift, but it really doesn't matter as she pulls down low and she pulls up high. Its been a lotta years since i drove that 911 Carrera for a week, but Freya seems to perform just as good. i was afraid that if i put in a 3800SC that the handling would be negatively affected, but i don't notice ANY negative effects. My new car is just so sweet to drive. Thanks to everyone who has made this possible.

------------------

[This message has been edited by longjonsilver (edited 06-12-2022).]

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2024 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well my swap is in and i have been driving around off an on for two years now, but i am afraid to leave the driveway because i might be stranded on the road somewhere. i have two drive ability issues, but that is not wjhat this post is about. i am wondering if all the cheerleading about engine swaps is misleading people? Do we only read about those that are skillfull enuf to succeed? An never hear about the failures? i read about Villian in FL buying 4.9 swapped Fieros for $500 and wonder about hte history of that car. Did the former owner swap in a 4.9, never get it running and after 10 years of frustration decide to sell it cheap? Are we doing a disservice to people (like me) who have average skills by encouraging them to start a swap? i probably am doing better than most in that i finished the swap, it started and i drove it, but now i am afraid to leave the driveway for fear of getting stranded. If i were to sell i surely wud get more than $500 cuz 100% rust free cars are rare here in Canada, but still. ones that wont start (again) and stop suddenly in traffic if they do start are not worth much on the market.

What is easy for you does not mean it is easy for others, So go on ahead and cheerlead others to attempt a swap cuz 10 years from now you just might be able to buy their project cheap.

------------------

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2024 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Three ideas I have:

1. When someone does something, they assume that anyone else can do it to. People don't want to feel like the bad guy, thinking that another person is less capable.

2. It's easy to cheer for and promote wild ideas when one doesn't have to deal with the fallout from problems later.

3. If you look for failures, you can find them. In many build threads, you can find people writing about the issues they face with their cars.

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 02-26-2024).]

PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2024 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well my swap is in and i have been driving around off an on for two years now, but i am afraid to leave the driveway because i might be stranded on the road somewhere. i have two drive ability issues, but that is not wjhat this post is about. i am wondering if all the cheerleading about engine swaps is misleading people? Do we only read about those that are skillfull enuf to succeed? An never hear about the failures? i read about Villian in FL buying 4.9 swapped Fieros for $500 and wonder about hte history of that car. Did the former owner swap in a 4.9, never get it running and after 10 years of frustration decide to sell it cheap? Are we doing a disservice to people (like me) who have average skills by encouraging them to start a swap? i probably am doing better than most in that i finished the swap, it started and i drove it, but now i am afraid to leave the driveway for fear of getting stranded. If i were to sell i surely wud get more than $500 cuz 100% rust free cars are rare here in Canada, but still. ones that wont start (again) and stop suddenly in traffic if they do start are not worth much on the market.

What is easy for you does not mean it is easy for others, So go on ahead and cheerlead others to attempt a swap cuz 10 years from now you just might be able to buy their project cheap.

I got to see Villain's farm... it's pretty fantastic, a lot of Fieros, and he has a lot of cool projects going on.

As for swaps... I've seen a lot of swaps over the years that went up on eBay. More than anything, it seems time and time again, the individual sells an engine-swapped Fiero on eBay because of several reasons:

- They get in over their head, run out of time, and the sunk-cost fallacy
- They were unaware of everything that was involved and ran out of money.
- Life change... different priorities, etc.

Your swap doesn't sound so bad. If you were able to get in and drive it, then what could possibly be the problem? You've already done the hardest part. The part you're dealing with to me seems like the stuff that most people just assume will keep working.

For me personally, if I was going to do an engine swap, I'd probably completely swap out the ECM with an aftermarket one... like a Mega/MicroSquirt, or even some newer FAST system or something like that. The mechanical is really the hard part... what you've already done. Getting it in there, because there's a lot of custom work. The actual computer / ECM... if you're still using all the old technology from the early 90s... then I'd recommend getting rid of all of that and going with a newer aftermarket ECM.

https://www.diyautotune.com...uirt-with-8-harness/
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2024 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

Your swap doesn't sound so bad. If you were able to get in and drive it, then what could possibly be the problem? You've already done the hardest part.

The mechanical is really the hard part...

Maybe for you, but custom metal work is very enjoyable for me and i find it comes easy. Electrical is another thing. Shud i recite all the electrical issues that i have on my car (that i know of at this point in time)? Radio, headlight doors, temperature gage, radiator fan, windshield wipers and whatever is causing the driveability issues that i am dealing with. Probably more if i think long enuf.

And yes, i cud take it to Jelly2M8 to have the electrical issues fixed, BUT i wud still think of myself as a failure cuz the problems beat me. If i cud only fix the driveability issues then i cud put up with the rest of the problems - after all i have been driving with some of them for at least10 years now.

But. just in case someone wants to help me with the driveablility issues: 1 Starts reliably if driven daily, but when sitting for a week or more, wont start. 2 Runs great, but then suddenly stalls (no warning at all) at random times. Might take a few tries to get it to start then. Whaz up?

------------------

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock