Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Preparing my Fiero for an engine swap (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Preparing my Fiero for an engine swap by longjonsilver
Started on: 05-07-2018 06:59 PM
Replies: 222 (7485 views)
Last post by: longjonsilver on 02-27-2024 01:43 PM
longjonsilver

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2018 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BadNewsBrendan:
cause I am cheap

that's a good thing. It means you can use your money for something better.

------------------
I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun! 3800 SC swap to come!

IP: Logged
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2018 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My right headlight motor took a dump. Fortunately, i have 4 (four) gen 2 motors. My original gen 1 motors have never worked manually, (i know it takes a long time to turn them, is 1/2 an hour long enuf for you?) . THEY HAVE NEVER WORKED MANUALLY So i installed a gen 2 motor on the right so i can crank it manually and drive at nite with two headlights (i hate padiddles). i am working on getting a gen 2 harness, and i pulled the headlight module out of the wreck that i got some GT stuff from. Meanwhile my car winks.

jon

------------------
I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun! 3800 SC swap to come!

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2018 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i modified my gages today by taking the circuit board off my 84 4 cylinder tach and installing it behind the GT tach faceplate. Only the circuit board was replaced, not the guts of the GT tach. Works perfectly. i marked the V6 tach circuit board so i would know that it came from a V6.

jon

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2018 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i set about installing the S10 (actually a 95 GMC Sonoma) brake booster on Freya. It was really a ***** getting off the booster from the inside of the truck. Hours later i left with my booster, and $25 Canuck Bucks liter. However, i found this when i got home and set about to cleaning it up. Didn't notice it in the scrapyard, cuz it was covered with a plastic housing and wires. Bottom was fine, this was the top.

i decided upon investigating on how boosters work that this side of the booster was either in a vacuum or atmospheric pressure, so i just used a little JB weld and some fibreglass mesh to strengthen the JB weld and then another layer of JB weld on top.

i then cut the Sonoma booster rod as long as i could and then cut the Feral rod to the recommended 4 5/16", and long nut and i was good to go, or so i thot.
But my rod was too short, the brake lite was on all the time! So i set about modifying it. i removed Freya's rod and cut off the threaded end and welded on a longer piece to make the total length of Freya's rod 5 1/4". Not pretty but very strong. The rod then was too long to go into place in the car, so i ground off 1/8" and found that it was exactly the right length. Final length of the Freya's rod from the center of the hole to the end is 5 1/8".

With the brake pedal as high as the clutch it took a little getting used to the new hite, but i find that the braking force is MUCH greater

jon

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

[This message has been edited by longjonsilver (edited 03-24-2019).]

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2018 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is my Sonoma booster in place. The lower passenger side bolt to the firewall is a pain to get in. i left it out, as i still have to do the headlight conversion gen1 to gen2, and want to be able to access the wiring behind the booster easier.

i still havent decided if i will modify the gen 1 harness to work with gen 2 headlight module and motors or whether i will try to install my frankenharness. It seems it would be a lot less work to modify my gen 1 harness and leave it in place. i will have to make the trip to the electrical distributor to get clamps to extend the length of my battery cable for my battery relocation under the passenger headlight.

jon

------------------

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2018 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

longjonsilver

1064 posts
Member since Nov 2001
Speaking of the brake booster, lets have some fun with math and physics
Force=Pressure * Area
lbs force = lbs/in^2 * in^2

the ratio of lbs force new booster/lbs force old booster = Pressure of Vacuum * Area of new booster / Pressure of Vacuum * Area old booster

Since the pressure of the vacuum for both booster is equal, the pressure terms drop out (anything divided by itself is 1)

so we are left with

the ratio of lbs force new booster/lbs force old booster = Area of new booster / area of old booster

Area = Pi * radius ^2 . so Pi divided by Pi drops out ( anything divided by itself is 1) . So we have

the ratio of lbs force new booster/lbs force old booster = Area new booster/ Area of old booster = r^2 new booster/r^2 old booster

Old booster is 9" and new booster is 10 3/4" so R of old booster is 4.5" and R of new booster is 5 3/8"

R^2 of old booster is 20.25 and R^2 of new booster is 28.89

So the ratio of lbs force new booster/lbs force old booster = 28.89/20.25 = 1.427 . But i can't measure that accurately with my equipment so rounding off we get a ratio of 1.4

In other terms the S10 booster is 40% more powerful than the old booster. But you knew that didn't you?

jon

------------------

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2018 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, this estimation tells you the difference in maximum assist force available.

However, we cannot determine the linear-region gain of each booster by simple external measurements.

On a stock Fiero with good tires, does the brake booster saturate under emergency braking? I doubt it, because if the booster saturated, an inordinate amount of pedal force would be needed to stop the car.

I suspect that the S-10 booster has more gain, and that is what causes the different feeling in a Fiero.

The S-10 booster has more area, and thus more maximum assist force, but if the maximum assist force was not attained with the Fiero booster, then I don't think this parameter has any effect in a Fiero.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2018 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
About 6 1/2 years ago, I made an air cylinder rig and measured caliper line pressures (front & rear) at various pedal forces with both the stock booster as well as the S10.

Here are a couple of the tables. There are more here: https://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin...1747&style=printable

code:

Caliper Pressure Comparison Stock 88 Booster vs. Rodney S10 Prototype:

Stock Booster S10 Booster Caliper Caliper
Input Air Pedal Force Engine On Engine On Pressure Pressure
(psi) (lbs) Caliper (psi) Caliper (psi) Gain(psi) Gain(%)
5 8.9 135 <200 n/a n/a
10 17.7 320 450 130 41%
15 26.6 550 700 150 27%
20 35.4 675 950 275 41%
25 44.3 975 1275 300 31%
30 53.1 1150 1475 325 28%
35 62.0 1200 1500 300 25%
40 70.8 1200 1550 350 29%
45 79.7 1275 1575 300 24%
50 88.5 1325 1600 275 21%
55 97.4 1475 1675 200 14%
60 106.2 1475 1700 225 15%

Average of
10psi to 50psi input pressures: 963 1230 267 28%

Here is another one that shows the gains front and rear as well. Notice the non-linear response where the front starts strong and tapers off with additional pedal force, while the rears start lower and gain increases with pedal force.

code:

Caliper Pressure Comparison Stock 88 Booster vs. Rodney S10 Prototype:
All Tests with Engine On, but there is data from two 88 Fieros - 3.4TDC and 2.5L

3.4TDC 2.5L Stock 3.4TDC 3.4TDC 2.5L 3.4TDC
Front Front 3.4TDC Front Rear Rear
Stock Stock vs. S10 Front Stock S10 Rear
Input Air Booster Booster 2.5L Booster Gain Booster Booster Gain
(psi) (psi) (psi) (psi) (%) (psi) (psi) (%)
5 135 n/a n/a <200 n/a n/a n/a n/a
10 320 400 -80 450 41% 300 300 0%
15 550 600 -50 700 27% 400 400 0%
20 675 800 -125 950 41% 500 550 10%
25 975 925 +50 1275 31% 600 675 13%
30 1150 1200 -50 1475 28% 675 775 15%
35 1200 1225 -25 1500 25% 700 775 11%
40 1200 1250 -50 1550 29% 700 775 11%
45 1275 1300 -25 1575 24% 725 850 17%
50 1325 1325 0 1600 21% 725 850 17%
55 1475 1375 +100 1675 14% 775 900 16%
60 1475 1400 +75 1700 15% 775 900 16%

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2018 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, i have a list of winter projects for Freya. First up is the battery relocation. Not from the rear of the car to the front but from the front to under the passenger headlight.

For the last to years i have set the battery on top of the spare tire using some tire chains (for front weight) a piece of plywood and some foam. The spare tire hold down rod was rebent to hold down the battery. The tire chains gotta go.

So i got the idea for relocating the battery from Lunatic on this forum. His thread is located here: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...3/HTML/000148-3.html Battery box section starts March 2015

First off i got out the sawzall.

And here is the result:

Here is a mockup of the battery box made in plastic cardboard to see if it fit correctly:

And in place without battery:

Bottom of battery box is right on the facia, so the facia will be bolted right to the battery box.

Speaking of facia, a long time before i started this blog, i determined to convert my bumperpad front end (which i have always hated, especially when i saw the GT front end on the Indy ) to the GT front end. i never had a wind dam for that facia so i adapted my bumperpad facia to fit. Notice the different curvatures. Gonna have to deal with this as the GT facia was wider than stock as installed and rubs the curb, meaning always having to repaint the lower part of the facia.

More later.

jon

------------------

[This message has been edited by longjonsilver (edited 03-11-2019).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2018 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by longjonsilver:

First up is the battery relocation. Not from the rear of the car to the front but from the front to under the passenger headlight.

For the last to years i have set the battery on top of the spare tire using some tire chains (for front weight) a piece of plywood and some foam. The spare tire hold down rod was rebent to hold down the battery.

Just curious... why do you prefer that new location as opposed to under the spare tire?
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2018 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

About 6 1/2 years ago, I made an air cylinder rig and measured caliper line pressures (front & rear) at various pedal forces with both the stock booster as well as the S10.

Here are a couple of the tables. There are more here: https://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin...1747&style=printable

[

Thank you for providing specific information for us on braking force. Your setup looks real nice. Lots of thot went into your test. Thanks again

Originally posted by Patrick:

Just curious... why do you prefer that new location as opposed to under the spare tire?

The right front is the lightest wheel on a Fiero, especially driving solo. Also the weight of the battery is 2 ft farther forward, and altho it makes for a more polar moment of inertia, it also puts more downforce on the front of the car. My car as originally built was not safe at any speed over 55mph due to the parachute effect of the radiator housing, the lifting force under the bumperpad facia and the weight in the front of the car. i added tire chains to help it way back in 1985 and left them there till last week. That helped. Moving the battery on top of the tire helped a lot more. i don't know what has the greater change the GT facia from the bumperpad or the cutting of the radiator vent, cause i did them the same winter, but that really gave me some downthrust at high speed. i suspect that the weight of the battery, 33.6 lbs moved 2 feet will offset the loss of 9.6 lbs of chain minus the weight of the battery box 3.8 lbs. So lets see

33.6 lbs + 3.8 lbs * 10 ft compared to 33.6 lbs + 9.6 lbs * 8 ft
37.4 lbs * 10 ft compared to 43.2 lbs * 8 ft
374 ft lbs compared to 345.6 ft lbs. sooooooooooooo

374/345 = 1.08

or the new battery postition gives me 8% more tork on the front wheels, than the previous arrangement and 6 total lbs less.

jon

------------------

PFF
System Bot
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2018 06:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i considered a lot of options to build my battery box, but finally settled on using easily welded material. Because this material is too thick to use on all four sides, i chose to make a lattice to keep the weight down. Here it is:

The back was left in two sections to allow the box to be squeezed to fit thru the bolts that hold the bottom of the headlight mechanism, as i didn't want to cut these bolts, so the drivers side bolt was missed by cutting the flange back and the passenger side bolt is missed by squeezing the box. i decided to use this portion to attach my horn using the two holes in the "handle" of the horn, like this:

It will not be easy to reattach these two bolts for the horn in the car, but i must be done. honk honk . Note the bolts in the bottom of the box. The little ones will attach to the facia to support it, and the large one will have the manditory rubber washer to fix the battery. There is piece of metal welded on the backside of the battery to attach it. Here is a shot of the battery in the box:

Well, actually two

jon

------------------

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2018 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My car as originally built was not safe at any speed over 55mph...

Adding vents (either in the hood or in the front wheel wells) to allow trapped air out from behind the radiator, is probably the best thing to do to help keep the front end down at high speed.

Moving the battery up front from the engine bay is also definitely worthwhile doing, although a more central location (ie under the spare tire) I still believe is preferable for overall handling, as opposed to being relocated to a front corner of the car. However, I admire your ingenuity.

By the way, what's all that white stuff in a couple of your photos?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-14-2018).]

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2018 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Does my vent look fake?

jon

------------------

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2018 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Does my vent look fake?

No more so than the other one.

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2018 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

and

The proof is in the pudding. (And you are "privileged" to see the dirty inside of my engine compartment. This is because my engine uses oil and a fair amount goes out the EGR tube into the engine compartment. That is why i call this thread "Preparing Freya for an engine swap" or something like that. My engine is on its last laps

------------------

[This message has been edited by longjonsilver (edited 04-05-2020).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2018 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The proof is in the pudding...

I hope you don't think I required proof. I never doubted the vents were functional.

This rear vent is a front scoop from an 80's (?) Mustang. i hate how Mustang makes all these fake scoops. This one looked like it was functional but there was no hole in the hood other than the ones for the bolts, which i used to mount it to the 84. It is functional now heh heh.

The front vent that i made really helps keep the front down at speed... allows me to drive 80mph before the front gets squirrly.

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2018 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I hope you don't think I required proof. I never doubted the vents were functional.

i would like to think that i am a handling connoisseur. i realize that the battery under the headlight makes for greater polar moment, but i think that i still neeeeeeeeeed more downforce at speed. i have toyed over the years of making a front scoop, a splitter and the usual chin spoiler. dunno. Other projects take precedence.

jon

------------------

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2018 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

i think that i still neeeeeeeeeed more downforce at speed.

IMO, lowering your '84 would negate most/all of that need.

I haven't gone crazy speeds... but at 100+ MPH, both my '88 Formula and my '84 duke (takes a little longer to get there) feel quite planted. Both cars are lowered and have aftermarket struts/shocks, and both use a vented hood. The Formula has its battery up front in the spare tire tub, while the '84 still has its battery in the engine bay.

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2018 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IMO, lowering your '84 would negate most/all of that need.

I haven't gone crazy speeds... but at 100+ MPH, both my '88 Formula and my '84 duke (takes a little longer to get there) feel quite planted.

i have considered lowering my car. i was close to doing it when i did all my ball joints, tie rod ends and bushings in both the front and rear of the car, but i guess i am too cheap to pay for springs and altho i can cut my springs with my chop saw, they are already the stiffest springs that Pontiac put in a Fiero, and i don't want my suspension to bounce. Real roads are not tracks, real roads, especially here in Montreal, have bumps. Bumps are not friendly to low pro tires or stiff springs, altho my springs seem to be OK, but notice i don't have low pro tires by todays standards. Speaking of lowering, look how high the rear end of Freya sits.

jon
------------------

[This message has been edited by longjonsilver (edited 04-05-2020).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2018 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...altho i can cut my springs with my chop saw, they are already the stiffest springs that Pontiac put in a Fiero, and i don't want my suspension to bounce.

In both my '88 and '84, I have installed the stiffest (and longest/highest) '84 front springs with two complete coils cut off. No regrets, and no bounce. That's the job of the front shocks!

The biggest drawback to lowering an '84-'87 Fiero is that the metal cones (which hold the rubber bump stops) will need to be shortened by .75" (which will allow an extra 1.5" of travel at the front wheels.) It's not an easy job, but it's absolutely essential in order to greatly lessen the chances of the front suspension bottoming out with lowering/shorter springs. The front suspension will still occasionally bottom out though, which is why the rubber bump stops should not be eliminated.

But yes, the ride certainly is stiffer... and if potholes are a serious concern, then perhaps lowering wouldn't be the wisest modification to pursue.

PFF
System Bot
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2018 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i installed my battery box tonite.

i was worried that the top terminals would interfere with the operation of the headlights so i installed them to text their operation above the battery

No interference at all. Lots of room. Dunno how much, but i need a new battery and i will buy one with only side terminals.

jon

------------------

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2018 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On the drivers side of the battery box cutout, there is light gage vertical metal that prevents the hands from tightening the sidemount battery cables, and in the case of the front - hot - red - side of the battery facilitated shorting out the battery. i neither want to short out the hot when i use a wrench to tighten the battery cable nor cut my hands on the metal there, sooooooo

The ol trusty sawzall, grinder and hammer n chizel came out and made another cut in the light gage metal and removed the vertical on the drivers side.

and the result

upload pictures

lots more room to work, lots less opportunity to cut yourself or short out the battery, lots more room around the hot terminal.

------------------

[This message has been edited by longjonsilver (edited 11-22-2018).]

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2018 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i've been doing my annual maintenance on my brakes and suspension - i gravity drain out all the old fluid in the brakes and let new flow in. One corner at a time. i grease the ball joints and the tie rod ends while i have the wheels off. This time i noticed that the r rear ball joint wasnt accepting grease but rather oozing out the side. So i decided to replace the grease fitting. But NOOOOOO! the threads are stripped and the fitting won't come out.

So i guess i have two options: Somehow repair the threads of the ball joint OR wait till the ball joint fails, and then replace the ball joint. i would rather do the former than the latter. Any ideas?
thanks

------------------

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2019 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Off topic from working on Freya. Working on my 92 S10 drum brakes after a line rusted thru and got air in the system. i can't get the bleeder screw loose, and while it is soaking in penetrating fluid i am trying to find the correct socket. 7mm is too small, 8mm is too large. 9/32 is too small, 5/16 is too large. What size do i use?
thanks
jon

------------------

shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2019 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Use vice grips and get a new bleeder

shem
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2019 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by shemdogg:

Use vice grips and get a new bleeder

shem

Throw some heat on it as well.
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2019 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, ive tried using heat as well, and some love taps with a hammer as i saw on utube. Seems as if its a square not hex fiting as i now find that my 7mm end wrench fits but the hex end won't. i don't have a 12 point 7mm socket.
jon

------------------

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2019 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i find that the brake fluid squirts out of the reservoir if the lid is not on it. This is both my S10 pickup whose brakes i am working on, as well as with Freya. Is this normal or is it bad master cylinders?
jon

------------------

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2019 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got some new wheels. i've always liked the look of the Fiero GT wheels, and they look spectac on Freya. Whaddya think? i guess this is the end of the GT look conversion. Next a motor swap and some repairs.

Longjonsilver's Website

Its a little tight between the (still unfinished) wheel tub and the "new" (wornout) tires. 205 60R15 tires are bigger than 195 60R14, so theres less clearance. i probably will go with 195 50R15 tires when i buy some new ones. That should lower the front and give me greater clearance to the wheel tub.

jon

------------------

shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2019 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Diggin the wheels, they look good! You could use a plastic battery box out of a jetski or atv that would drop in the hole you made, fit the batteyr, and you woudlnt short or cut yourself.

shem
PFF
System Bot
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2019 05:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by shemdogg:

Diggin the wheels, they look good! You could use a plastic battery box out of a jetski or atv that would drop in the hole you made, fit the batteyr, and you woudlnt short or cut yourself.

Thanks, yeah, now Freya looks like she should. i bot Freya the day i first saw her at Pontiac, and had her ever since. i thot that Pontiac did a good job with all the cosmetics EXCEPT the front. When i saw the Indy, i wished i had waited. That Indy bodystyle is still my favorite Fiero bodystyle. i got a line on a 3800 supercharged with all the wiring and computer. Gonna pick it up if it i still there when i move nearby. Then Freya will be a REAL GT.

Great idea about the battery box. i wish i had thot of that. How do you know i cut myself?
jon

------------------

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2019 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anybody know how to identify an L67 motor from any other 3800?
thanks
jon
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2019 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unfortunately, the battery box protruded into the wheel well. i didn't want a bump on my wheel well so, i shortened the front of my battery box 1/2" so that by raising the front it would rock the rear forward. Seems to have worked. i made the special filler pieces for the wheel well our of some unknown cars air dam and now it is all buttoned up nice and tite. In addition, the new tires clear really well. Lotsa room. However, Freya's battery would no longer start her, so i transfered the battery from my S10 to Freya, but now i have no battery for my S10. What to do? i thot that maybe the Freya's old battery might start my S10 with its shorter battery cables. Sho nuf started rite up. Now both start This tells me that i need to rethink my cables leading from my starter to my battery. Seems good enuf for now, but when i get involved in my swap i'll want to do something else. Something better. Maybe welding cables like others have used.

------------------

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2019 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Took my car on the highway for the first time since installing the battery under the right headlight. Seems to make a difference at speed. Installation looks a lot cleaner in the front compartment as well. And if i ever need my spare tire.....

------------------

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2019 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see that you are in Mascouche... well guess what, some of us Fiero enthusiasts are planning to meet at a restaurant in Mascouche to talk Fieros and other things.
I invite you to come meet us and chit-chat.
https://www.fieromontreal.c...18.msg35643#msg35643

Patrick

If you're interested, let me know.
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2019 07:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Things getting a lot more interesting here in the university with Freya. i got a line on a 3800 SC (so the guy says) and the price is right. i've got a 4 speed tranny with the 3.35 gear, with only 60k klicks on it. (Thanks BubbaJoeXXX) . So that could come together after i move. But i've been reading about the ecotec and i like the idea of the LE5 installed just as it is on the F23 tranny. Lightweight in the rear. Makes a lot of sense to me. Decisions decisions decisions. Fortunately Freya is running good with her duke and i am not in any immediate need of a new engine. Burning oil, but hey, oils cheap at $3C/liter. Zlongas the cops don't pull Freya over for smoking.
jon

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:
If you're interested, let me know.

i'd love to be there PM sent

------------------

[This message has been edited by longjonsilver (edited 04-03-2019).]

wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2019 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keep in mind that early cobalt SS had the LE5 motor as well as the supercharged motor. You can pick up a cobalt ss with the LE5 pretty cheap now. They are total rust buckets but you get everything you need to do the swap.
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2019 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wftb:

Keep in mind that early cobalt SS had the LE5 motor as well as the supercharged motor. You can pick up a cobalt ss with the LE5 pretty cheap now. They are total rust buckets but you get everything you need to do the swap.

Thanks. i didn't know that they came with two different engines. Thats something to keep in mind. After i move i'll consider a swap. My new house has a larger garage than the one i have now. More room, more fun. :-)

------------------

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2019 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

longjonsilver

1064 posts
Member since Nov 2001
Dunno about Wikipedia but it says this about the GM transverse drive transmissions:

The F23 is a five-speed manual transmission manufactured by Getrag in Italy. It is designed for transverse engine applications, primarily by General Motors. It can handle torque inputs of over 230 newton metres (170 lbf⋅ft). It also has a following in the ecotec racing community for being able to handle 700hp with an LSD insert and only costing about $200. It does not have the problems that plague the F-35 found in the SS, so it makes for a good transmission swap candidate.

and

The F35 features a higher torque carrying capacity than most manual transmission currently in use by competing North American small cars. It weighs approximately 99 lb/45 kg. The gearbox is rated for 260 ft-lb (353 Nm) of engine torque.

The GM transmissions are usually numerically designated in newton metres that means F35 is rated at 350 Nm, the weaker rod shifted SAAB version of the F35, the F25, at 250 Nm, F40 at 400 Nm, M32 at 320 Nm, and so on.

Dunno how you can reconcile these divergent ideas about the two transmissions.

------------------

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock