Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Exploring the exhaust system.... CUSTOM, Stainless Steel, Powdercoat CERAMIC, & BORLA (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Exploring the exhaust system.... CUSTOM, Stainless Steel, Powdercoat CERAMIC, & BORLA by unboundmo
Started on: 11-23-2016 02:38 AM
Replies: 103 (3106 views)
Last post by: unboundmo on 11-27-2017 09:18 PM
unboundmo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2016 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi all...!

Just a heads up.. I feel this should be in the construction zone but because I'm new at this ( posting a "New Topic" and all ) so bare with me... I'm not authorized to post in that section?--

Regardless--- I'd like to share my new exhaust system that I just recently finished. I took the liberty of taking a lot of photos while the build was happening.. as I do all my projects so beware if you have Sloow dial up.. Anyway -- shall we start?

I began finding all the stainless mandrel bends I could find but at a good deal, of course... Just to show you some.--- and boy do I have left overs.. Thinking a turbo setup is in the future.. bolt in swap, sort of thing.. Alright.. enough... back to the basics

and now the cutting and NEVER ENDING filing started

To help mock up the pipe, I used my engine... and!.... since it was out at the time anyway. But to let you in on my thoughts for the design, I wanted it to look stock (I live in California) and yes, I included the CAT with this new system. I also wanted to use all the existing heat shields because you know why.. we won't say here though.

So here we go....

Here is evident that I'm following the original log design -- but with better flow from the start, I think. I'm also using 1 5/8" OD stainless steel pipe in 16GA thickness for the primaries... The ID measured roughly 1 1/2".... Oh!-- the flanges are 3/8" thick but in mild steel, unfortunately... They are laser cut, though.

I think this starting shape might also help with the scavenging effect?

NOW PLEASE NOTE!!-- I'm not the best welder.. and I don't even have a 220 unit. What I did use, though, for the tack is a 140HD mig turned up + MAP gas for pre-heating. It was crazy how hard it was to penetrate without the pre-heat.. At the time I planned on taking it to a place out here that'll professionally tig it up for me so don't worry... no messin it all up on my part!

So next in the design... I felt that I wanted the exhaust to flow a little more free so I added an adapter from 1 5/8" to 2" OD. This transition will end in a V-band style clamp system

here's a picture from the internet showing what they look like if your not familiar..

----- So I think that a good start so far.. More details to come! sorry.. it's late already.. I know it was a bad teaser..

------------------

[This message has been edited by unboundmo (edited 11-24-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2016 03:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
okay..okay.. I can't take it anymore.. I need to post MORE

here's.....The lovely.....! -- EGR

NOW!-- what I think is the best part.... The Y section! and into the CAT.... I want to also add that I'm using the original mounting exhaust tabs and springs.. NO cutting! The 2to1 collector is a 2" to a 2 1/2"... also V-band clamp style

Here is one of the mounting tabs (exhaust side) that the spring hooks to

the little turtles (what I call them) worked excellent!

So after the catalytic converter comes that sweeping turn into the oil pan's area.. The 2 1/2 is just MASSiVe looking,, that I LOVE it SOO much.. oh.. optical illusion.. that bolt in the picture is not close at all.. It just looks as if from this angle

Okay.. more to come tomorrow.. The muffler is next!

[This message has been edited by unboundmo (edited 11-21-2017).]

Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2016 05:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is some beautiful work man... Keep it up!

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

jjd2296

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2016 07:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow looks great ! Would you be making any sets for sale?? I'm very interested?
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2016 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is just dead sexy!

Do you do custom work? I might need some manifolds for a 3500/3900 swap. (They have specific heads. Not sure if the ports are the same as the 3400 heads, or not. I'd have to get you a template or gasket for the port configuration, I guess.)

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2016 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice stuff! And congrats on the 1st new topic post

Fiero 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2016 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero 88Send a Private Message to Fiero 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice. I would love to have such a nice, clean setup.

------------------
Past:
1988 base coupe sold
1984 base coupe rust
Present:
1986 SE 2m6

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2016 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like what you are doing, but would strongly suggest you cut the header flange between the exhaust ports.

You are building the logs very similar to the old KFG headers and those were prone to cracking. The issue is the log portion of the tube runs parallel to the header flange, and is attached at both ends with a very short primary tube (no room for deflection). The log tube will heat up faster and be significantly hotter than the flange, which will make it expand more, but the head flange won't allow for that expansion, so eventually the thinner metal will crack after X number of heat cycles.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...050119-2-051056.html

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 11-23-2016).]

lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2016 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guru beat me to it, but I was going to mention that your manifolds look very much like the ones that used to be sold by KFG:
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2016 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Very nice work.

Originally posted by unboundmo:

I feel this should be in the construction zone but because I'm new at this ( posting a "New Topic" and all ) so bare with me... I'm not authorized to post in that section?

Admission to the The Construction Zone is all explained by Cliff... HERE
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2016 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

I like what you are doing, but would strongly suggest you cut the header flange between the exhaust ports.

You are building the logs very similar to the old KFG headers and those were prone to cracking. The issue is the log portion of the tube runs parallel to the header flange, and is attached at both ends with a very short primary tube (no room for deflection). The log tube will heat up faster and be significantly hotter than the flange, which will make it expand more, but the head flange won't allow for that expansion, so eventually the thinner metal will crack after X number of heat cycles.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...050119-2-051056.html

Thanks fieroguru !!!! Damn- I definitely don't want to have that happen. I'll cut the flange before I install them.. I read in that link the 1/8" cut through between all ports.. Great idea! I know I would have an issue with the dip stick clearing too.. Maybe this is the sign... I've seen these other logs by kfg before and were sort of an inspiration for me.. But with changes to suit my needs, of course.. Not one to copy. I, too, talked to the tig man on the types of stainless rods he was using. I wanted to make sure he knew what I had to give him.

Right now, and for smog purposes.. I'm only set up with catalytic back with the new system.. After smog check, they'll go in for the first time.. Running, that is.

Thanks again fieroguru... And thanks everyone for the great comments.. But sorry, my wife would divorce me if a had a production run of these...

More pictures to come tonight after work!

[This message has been edited by unboundmo (edited 11-28-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2016 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well Alright!!... shall we continue?

So the next part of the exhaust was kind of tricky.. We've all been through the -- which muffler can I choose from? -- I think there is Spintech, Flowmaster (but I think it has to be modified to fit), Ocelot.... Are there any more?... that'll be a more of a direct replacement. In all, I wasn't fond of the choices when I was searching, especially now that there is no Borla available.. Not even their muffler that they used for us when they made our CAT back kits.. and I don't know how many videos I tried to watch with my engine combo muffler....but let's face it - sound counts for a lot! at least for me.. slow as heck.. but it sounds bad A$$ --- Just a figure of speech though; my Fiero is definitely not slow.

So here I am, torn, wanting a Borla muffler and I started looking into the possibilities. I chose a universal -- https://www.borla.com/produ...er_part__40842s.html

It measures 10" x 5" and 2.5" in/out dia... In comparison to the original Fiero muffler, I felt that this may work... IT'LL BE TIGHT!.. but it may work.

....and the mock up begins... I knew that I wanted to keep the dual out exhaust but with the straight tube style muffler, I had to come up with a design that would allow me to.. oh, as you can see, tape is definitely my friend.

Here, I felt that if I went straight out from the muffler and just added the 180 bent pipe to it, I wouldn't have any flow to the opposite side..?.. So I decided to start the bend up first (to help the flow up) then cut it in half with a Y section, per-say... and ended up with this

Here's my solution

and wala!!..... but to let you in on a little secret, I had to cut the tips off and re-position them up...Though, I could of sworn I had the right angle when I measured plus keeping in mind of the inside trunk angle... but unfortunately, I didn't find out until after the powdercoating -- but in my favor, the engine was still out at the time also.

Okay!--- that was a good segment.. Stay tuned for the next posting!

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2016 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...and wala

Your french sucks... it's voilà
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2016 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Aww man...! ---- I forgot another cool picture!

It'll let you see the system in full and how the bends are for wrapping...

unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2016 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

unboundmo

2242 posts
Member since Sep 2006

Originally posted by Patrick:

lol... thanks!

1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2016 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This goes beyond beauty. It is almost like Fiero erotica!

------------------

jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2016 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll ask again. Any chance your going to make this for sale??
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post11-24-2016 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

It's et voilà.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post11-24-2016 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001
Nice build. How does it sound?
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2016 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Nice build. How does it sound?

I've got a taste for you all... I don't want to spoil

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!

More to come soon!
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2016 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

unboundmo

2242 posts
Member since Sep 2006

Originally posted by jjd2296:

I'll ask again. Any chance your going to make this for sale??

Sorry jj... Mine to keep
PFF
System Bot
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2016 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A real piece of Fine Art in Metal. Can't wait to hear the set-up
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2016 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

my wife would divorce me if a had a production run of these...

What if we threw a lot of money at you? Wait wait wait... we're Fiero owners. Ain't going to happen.
jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2016 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Speak for your self I would pay a 1000 for this set up!!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2016 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

One thousand dollars, eh? In US funds?

Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful looking exhaust system... but I don't think it would increase the value of my Formula by $1000, nor would it make my Formula $1000 faster at autocross.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2016 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

With all the stainless parts, paying someone to weld it, and then getting it coated, my guess is he has more than $1000 in the setup.
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2016 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

With all the stainless parts, paying someone to weld it, and then getting it coated, my guess is he has more than $1000 in the setup.

not to spoil the beans... But I'd bet you would have to pay MORE than $1000 to have someone to just "labor it ALL" as well as the parts (+) some

So let's just say.. And to get me out of denial..to have a parts list..

I will say, though, that YES, 10-15 horsepower is worth it to me ! -- I will go faster especially to allow my built engine to breathe.. That would be another build thread though.. Not no stock here, just sayin... But I do this all for fun though.. It's not about the money... Tinkering on cars is my passion.. And who wants to watch housewives on TV anyway?

Okay.. Parts list---

*Roughly $300-$350 in pipe plus ship but have some extra.. Stainless is expensive! -- you might get away cheaper with a set mind
*$50 or so in the collector and V-bands but it was a little more than fifty, say $100 due to ordering for a equal length setup 3to1 but changed my mind -- plus a daydream of turbo in the air.. but then I think S/C in the A/C area.. In all, GOODIES!!
*I think the flanges were around $50 with the shipping?..
*$50 (each) for exhaust tips plus ship - polished Vibrant stainless
*$250 for professional tig --- 43 joints .. Then back after I had to reset the tips to match the car after I installed the engine.. So say $280
*$280 for ceramic powdercoat with a copper lining in the logs
*$200 muffler with ship
*$60-70 or so in map gas, tip and misc like cleaners, hacksaw blades, a good file set, stainless brushes... DUST MASKS..a must
*$30+/- in welding wire plus ship --- I have a welder that could tack so I was good there
Money for new exhaust bolts.. Fierostore.. I forgot how much

So what is that?.... Damn.. Almost 15oo?... Yeaaaaah.. It was worth it!

[This message has been edited by unboundmo (edited 12-10-2016).]

unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2016 02:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

unboundmo

2242 posts
Member since Sep 2006
Okay... so on a positive note---

The tig segment! --- done by Performance Tube Bending @ ptbtubebending.com in Irwindale, CA,,, not bad of work I might say!.. great quality on pipe bends and accessories.. in person with cash is cheaper than the online price.. just to mention and not talking about the save on shipping cost.

okay.. here we go with the pictures.. The way I designed the logs.. Basically swaging the pipe into the flange and to meet the diameter of my head's exhaust ports, I had the weld on the inside flange meeting the mount surface.. No welds on the outside of the flange area.. I felt it looked cleaner so why not? Plus I've seen other companies do the same.. like Gibson for instance..

okay.. enough talk

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Here shown without the heatsheild.. obviously

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

alright... that's all I got for tonight.. stay tuned for more

[This message has been edited by unboundmo (edited 11-21-2017).]

Slammed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2016 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good

Everywhere you tacked with mild wire will rust. The deposits go beyond the tack point and you'll never get rid of it all without cutting out way past it, especially with c25 or straight co2. Just something to think about. Your best bet with stainless would be to get some er308l and trimix if you're going to stay with MIG for tacking up.
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2016 02:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Slammed:

Looks good

Everywhere you tacked with mild wire will rust. The deposits go beyond the tack point and you'll never get rid of it all without cutting out way past it, especially with c25 or straight co2. Just something to think about. Your best bet with stainless would be to get some er308l and trimix if you're going to stay with MIG for tacking up.

sorry.. no mild steel mig wire used.. that would be STUPID on my part.. Research is key to all - (edit to say-- that after reading the thread again I missed some key points; like the type of welding wire used.. Or what the stock dia of the Fiero manifold is - 1 3/8" vs mine new, etc -- sorry) .....

thanks for the heads up though.. but you're a little late on that

but with the mild steel flange I found some 309 fluxcore for the various metals

[This message has been edited by unboundmo (edited 11-26-2016).]

Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2016 03:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sorry.. no mild steel mig wire used.. that would be STUPID on my part.. Research is key to all -- thanks for the heads up though.. but you're a little late on that

but with the mild steel flange I found some 309 fluxcore for the various metals

Hey! Good job then lol Turned out great
PFF
System Bot
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2016 03:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Slammed:

Hey! Good job then lol Turned out great

right on! thanks

[This message has been edited by unboundmo (edited 11-25-2016).]

unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2016 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

unboundmo

2242 posts
Member since Sep 2006
Happy FriYAY... Sorry to those who have to work today.. I promise I'll enjoy my day off ..

So let's move along...

It's time for Ceramic Powdercoating -- Done by Embee Performance Powdercoating in Santa Ana, CA - @ embeeperformance.com

I wanted to be subtle with the visual.. not all blingly to stand out at you -- if that's a word.. but looking BUSINESS and race.. It's called Black Satin Velvet and they cleared the muffler. In this first picture, you'll notice the lining color.. They told me it was a ceramic with copper to help with heat to spread and dissipate? It falls in the same concept of coating the dome of the pistons..? I also heard that with the coatings, it'll retain the heat IN the pipe and keep the gas molecules together and tight to speed up the velocity? If anyone would like to elaborate in more technical to any of this, please chime in..

Okay.. here we go...

I had him do the CAT as well...

This next picture.. the exhaust is installed but from the Catalytic, back only.. California smog check!.. I wish we were still on the 25 year cut off list.. CLASSIC! -- also.. The stock exhaust logs and Y section are wrapped with the new titanium fiber wrap.. so far so good.. hint:-- when you end the wrap, curl under the first inch or so to keep from unraveling and then clamp with the stainless ties.. nice and tight!.. That was a learner for me

If I can help it.. I don't drive this in the rain... I know there are controversies also about the use of the spark plug metal Jackets.. I want to see for myself if they spark/ground to the block.. They look clean though with my 8mm...

I found them at the junk yard!! --

That's all for the day.. Next are the install pics and a video!

lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2016 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looks like you forgot to cut the flanges before you had them coated.
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2016 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lateFormula:

Looks like you forgot to cut the flanges before you had them coated.

Yeah... It was discussed earlier in this thread about the prone to cracking with the flange in one piece... Live and learn, I guess

When I posted this thread, the work was already completed. I will cut them prior to the install

[This message has been edited by unboundmo (edited 11-22-2017).]

Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2016 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wouldn't worry about it. You can tell the welds are cold, or passed once and gone over on the example manifold above that cracked. And they were obviously stopping and starting, not actual pulse. Notice the dimples in the center of each weld and the very little overlap. The welding on yours aren't crazily better, but they do seem to have a lot fewer start and stops.

I've built dozens upon dozens of headers and split flanges aren't necessary with good technique and clamping.

[This message has been edited by Slammed (edited 11-25-2016).]

unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2016 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I see.... But I think mine are a better penetration too than the cracked example... Their shop (the place that tig welded for me) has candy lying all around when I go there. I felt confident that they knew what they were doing. Only time will tell..

Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2016 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's what I mean by cold. The beads are really raised up on the face of the tube and if you go to the link posted you can see the inside of the tubes and the penetration was minimal, but have a ton of heat input which is evidence of a second pass to "pretty up" the welds. Great way to do it if you want cracks lol
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2016 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So here it is.. The Final Fit!

The tips I chose were the Vibrant dual out.. The inlet is 2 1/2" to (2) 3 1/2" out polished stainless.. Good quality, I think for the price

That exhaust fit tight... but I'll bang on it -- to see for any rattles or hit anything.. It doesn't

I know..looks like I still need to have an alignment..Camber is way out... Still in progress.. I haven't even driven the car yet.. I'm getting antsy

How do you guys like the outcome?

[This message has been edited by unboundmo (edited 11-27-2016).]

unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2016 02:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

unboundmo

2242 posts
Member since Sep 2006
And finally.. a little video teaser....

A nice sound system is in order for this!... not no phone or crap speaker -- a good pair of headphones work too.. ** There's throat to be had! **

Please keep in mind also... I haven't had a chance to time/fine tune the car in closed loop yet since the headgasket rebuild. hint the slight stall.. I wanted to hear it!.. I HAD NO PATIENCE... Can you blame me? Yes... my air intake seems loud.. echo in the garage plus when in the closed loop stage, it quiets some... and the car is not quite at correct idle.. Work in progress.. What can I say?...

I wish I could get the video to actually embed into this post.. Anyone want to give it a shot?

https://www.flickr.com/phot...27521/in/dateposted/

------ SO That's IT!... My new exhaust system.

I hope you all enjoyed the thread. Any input you may have is definitely welcome... and I promise to update, after I get the car in the driveway from sitting in the garage, I'll take a final video of it running properly and at idle. I'm still in the process of a couple more things prior.. Though, I'm almost done... I'll keep you all posted

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock