Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Exploring the exhaust system.... CUSTOM, Stainless Steel, Powdercoat CERAMIC, & BORLA (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Exploring the exhaust system.... CUSTOM, Stainless Steel, Powdercoat CERAMIC, & BORLA by unboundmo
Started on: 11-23-2016 02:38 AM
Replies: 103 (3106 views)
Last post by: unboundmo on 11-27-2017 09:18 PM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2016 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by unboundmo:

Question---------- SLANT angle cut (this picture above). ----- or ------ STRAIGHT cut (like the drawing that I did in perspective)

I think slant like the pic above fits the car lines better.
IP: Logged
Fiero 88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2016 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero 88Send a Private Message to Fiero 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I think slant like the pic above fits the car lines better.

Agreed. Since the tips are angled up, I think the slant cut makes the ends more or less parallel with the rear of the car.

------------------
Past:
1988 base coupe sold
1984 base coupe rust
Present:
1986 SE 2m6

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2016 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Question---------- SLANT angle cut (this picture above). ----- or ------ STRAIGHT cut (like the drawing that I did in perspective)

I'm leaning toward straight cut myself.. More race than show

What would you all do?

IMO, the slant cut looks better. Makes for a larger, oval opening.
LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2016 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Slant
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2016 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That picture's angle looks good huh?....

Yeah, I think if I were to angle cut the new tips I'll be making, it'll be the angle of these old ones shown in the picture above.....

-------- I don't know though.... That in-your-face raw look, straight cut still looks good to me.

Question-- and definitely debatable..

Is there a sound difference?

Theoretically, a sound wave travels through the opening perpendicular to the pipe..? Right?.. ( I'm just thinking the shape is like a gas bubble the diameter of the pipe--- blub-blub-blob-blab-bllub.. Like water bubbles merging to the surface?) The wave exiting will distort on a slant cut?.. Does this change the sound? Versus the sound wave exiting symmetrically perfect.

A soft lappy rumble versus a sharp lappy tone...?

----- one thing I think is cool is that my tone will be a little less hollow megaphoneish using the 3" versus the 3 1/2" pipe.. A TIGHTER hollow sound!--

Even though I haven't driven the car yet, I was figuring that I might have a constant droning low sound all the time. But My Fiero is a manual transmission so it won't be a fart can (making the sound effects when an automatic shifts and the car has a loud exhaust)-gutless sound.. Don't you hate that?..

[This message has been edited by unboundmo (edited 12-10-2016).]

unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2016 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

unboundmo

2242 posts
Member since Sep 2006
I just found a website and built an exhaust setup.. Trying to be equal, of course, to what I did...

--in material (stainless)
--length of the manifolds (short headers)
--Y section
--V-band clamp style
--with a spintech muffler.. No Borla offered
--they will have everything ceramic coated for you..

I'm not sure if they use the stock hangers or have another mounting setup....Or any other information on them... Except a 2inch "Y"section.

No "tips" from the website offered either.. Which would add a budget of $100 for the pair if they did to buy some.

I visited my shopping cart for checkout....

I was already at $3100.00 ---WOW! +$100 for tips = for $3200

I guess I did make out pretty well

[This message has been edited by unboundmo (edited 12-10-2016).]

unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2017 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome Back! -----

..... A chance to get back at it, was all I needed... Therapy ---

-------edit to say that these tips didn't take 11 months to make... Just been super busy with other things

I have some updates... for those who remember the plans. The exhaust TIPS are now finished!... so let us continue with the thread

For starters, I made a template plate to stand the pipes in... (2) 3" circles spread 1/2" from each other on an aluminum plate.. I wanted to be sure that I always would come back to exactly where I was throughout the cutting / re-fitting phases.. You'll notice the plate in this first picture. Honestly, several fitting phases and 1 start over was not really in the plans.. but it's okay..

A WISE MAN ONCE SAID ------ ALWAYS! -- Polish your pipes before you tack.... so glad I listened

The ride home from The TIG welder... Sadly, I still don't have one..... yet 😏...

BLUbUBlUBlUBbLUB....

The NEW look

I'll post a couple videos soon... I went with the straight cut as you can see instead of slant (if you've been following from the start of the build)...There's just something about that raw cut pipe look.... sticking out at your face!

Cheers!

[This message has been edited by unboundmo (edited 11-27-2017).]

unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2017 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

unboundmo

2242 posts
Member since Sep 2006
... I don't know how to embed a video on Pennocks.. Sorry ---- please do so if you want.. know how to

These are the links to the videos.. I have 2 for you..

HEADPHONES A MUST!

https://www.flickr.com/phot...566@N04/36588316813/

https://www.flickr.com/phot...566@N04/37349236144/
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2017 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

unboundmo

2242 posts
Member since Sep 2006
I'd figure to do a closure now... A recap!.. of once was... It's amazing, the side by side; the difference.. I also decided to wrap the pipes on top of the powder ceramic.. I can't see it getting ruined. Maybe dull on the finish -- but o'well.. it's all race baby!

a little bulimic... :0

Major FLOW difference here!

and....... YES.. there is a MAJOR difference in high rpm hp. A pull of _almost a V8 with my config -- engine and all.. very pleased.

PROJECT DONE!

EDIT TO SAY --- the flanges are cut.. I did them prior to installing.. A hack saw blade split only and another section with little more where the dip stick runs through. I wouldn't think the flange will twist more than that with expansion and contraction but We'll see how it goes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2017 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Purdy.
What model muffler is that too?
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2017 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi 2.5.... here's the info. below

[QUOTE]Originally posted by unboundmo:

I chose a universal -- https://www.borla.com/produ...er_part__40842s.html

It measures 10" x 5" and 2.5" in/out dia

[This message has been edited by unboundmo (edited 11-21-2017).]

PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2017 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool, have a sound vid?
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2017 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2.5..... Yes!... 😐 Just a couple of posts ago?...I have new exhaust tips too, in case you missed it..? Start from almost the top of page 3.. I added a bunch of pictures prior to the closure post..and if you would let me know if the links work.. That'd be cool. I don't know the [] [] bracket codes to embed them --- edit ---- (I re-read this thread again and saw to post the vids on YouTube in order to embed)

... I don't know how to embed a video on Pennocks.. Sorry ---- please do so if you want.. know how to

These are the links to the videos.. I have 2 for you..

HEADPHONES A MUST!

https://www.flickr.com/phot...566@N04/36588316813/

https://www.flickr.com/phot...566@N04/37349236144/

[This message has been edited by unboundmo (edited 11-22-2017).]

unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2017 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A happy Thanksgiving to everyone!.....

---It's funny -- I just noticed another post on page 2 of this thread right now that says the same thing - from 2016 .. Time Flyies

.... I had the chance to upload the videos to YouTube for all to see.. everything is running tip/top verses the last video that I posted in this thread.. these are mostly just idling but at the end of this first video, is a little throttle pull.. I want to add that I think the 3" dual tip config sounds slightly different than the dual 3-1/2" tips that I had on before..but obviously it would.. slightly tighter in the hollow tones... I'm still getting a feel of position though.. I think that I'll tuck them in about an inch more than what you've been seeing in the last couple post.. I love the straight pipe look!... chime in if you'd like... let me know what you think?

Edited to say that the videos are there, embedded, but I can't see them on my phone.. in preview, however, they are there but not sure if you are having an issue as well.. maybe Cliff needs to review them before it gets posted? I used [youtube]....[/youtube].. please help.. thanks.

..... maybe it's just my phone.. need to update. I see it embedded on my computer..

Anyway..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XWtD0Zh2o0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTKTgSuknQg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2017 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool, vids work, sounds good, biger tubes always sound better to me, lower, curious how loud when you get on it.
Also what are your ground effects?
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2017 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cool, vids work, sounds good, biger tubes always sound better to me, lower, curious how loud when you get on it.
Also what are your ground effects?

It's definitely louder at full throttle.. crisp low tones but you know my foot is in it!

The ground effects are my creation from fiero junkyard part cars.. old exsisting GT skirts / and front bumper-- cut, reshaped and mounted upside down to the original... I felt that this will give me the look that I want but with the look of the factory lines.. What I think Pontiac would have done-- if they did.. I definitely didn't want to take away from the Pontiac styling.

With my drop and all, I sit roughly 3-3/4" off the ground with no bags and no rubbing.. and no added camber for clearances... I'll find a couple pictures and post them a little later.. easier to do on the computer verses the phone

------------------

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2017 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've seen the nose done on quite a few cars now, I've not seen the rockers flipped as well, looks nice.
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2017 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not to jack my own thread.....

My secrets.....

Sprayed and finished by me!.... In my homemade 2/fan with filter 6'x12' garage spray booth... Worked great!

[This message has been edited by unboundmo (edited 11-24-2017).]

unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2017 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

unboundmo

2242 posts
Member since Sep 2006

I've seen the nose done on quite a few cars now, I've not seen the rockers flipped as well, looks nice.

Thanks..... With the rockers... Just gives that complete look..

With Just the nose... Made it look like an add on and bothered me.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2017 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool stuff Ingenuity.

If you get a chance to record a revving/driving vid Id be interested. Picking Mufflers is hard! Does it drone at all in the car?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 11-24-2017).]

unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2017 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cool stuff Ingenuity.

If you get a chance to record a revving/driving vid Id be interested. Picking Mufflers is hard! Does it drone at all in the car?

Thanks... and I'll try to get a video for you sometime soon... All I can say is.... that if you don't like the engine exhaust sounds, don't get this one.. it's present. Mostly always but the sound has different levels of volume per how much you step on it and also cruising... just cruising is nice... you still hear it, of course, but people that I've giving a ride, they don't mind at all and they say it fits my car..same when on the freeway.. not droning..and it's not obnoxious like the kids and their new mustangs running no CATs or four banger imports with fart cans... let's just say it's the radio 😜. it's a little race car with more of a muffler. I noticed that At 4000 rpm, it has a very subtle certain difference....then changes back at 4500 continuing up to 6k with my setup.. but more when I rev slower and in shifting than if I was WOT.. just sound waves traveling at different speeds.. it's definitely not due to tuning..the car runs superb ! I like it!... it's the fun car 🚗

[This message has been edited by unboundmo (edited 11-25-2017).]

PFF
System Bot
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2017 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Headphones a must please.. and for the full sound... see if this works!.. this is not full out throttle... just a nice feel for you all.. and sorry, no camera mount

For those who are on their phone and don't see the embedded video... here's the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFt1o1c_gQg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2017 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2017 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SWEET!......

-----------------------------------

Hope you all have enjoyed my thread... open discussion is definitely welcome.. and so far, it's been real fun!.... thanks for all the input from all.. Pennock's forum and the helpful people RULE!...😜

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock