Replies: 62 (4779 views)
Last post by: Cliff Pennock on 08-28-2019 09:47 AM
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2009 06:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
About
The Construction Zone (or TCZ in short) is a section where I will move the many great build threads to, as well as HowTos and other write-ups. Once in here, they get special treatment. The threads never get archived, and they will be kept as "clean" as possible, meaning the thread starter can request "noise" to be removed (like flames or other non-related posts).

Threads can only be moved here by popular request, meaning if people deem your thread worthy enough. For now, this means you'll have to email or PM me your suggestions. In time, I will put something else in place to make this an automated process.

When are threads considered?

Until I have implemented some automated voting process (which, if you know me, could be in a week or a few years), this is how I decide if a thread should be moved to TCZ:

• Everything must be documented with plenty of pictures. The more the better. But don't overdo it. We really don't need every single bolt bolted in documented.
  • The project must be well on its way already. Don't ask me to move a thread you just started and only contains a single "I'm going to start my own build thread" post. Even if it contains a ton of pictures of you standing next to that great junk yard find (your new Fiero).
  • No abandoned projects. The archives are filled with build threads that abruptly end after a few pages because either the build itself was ended just as abruptly, or the OP (original poster) simply lost interest updating his thread. I will not consider such threads. Even if they are a great read up until that point. Seriously. I could come up with a great metaphore here as to why, but this is a family forum (at least this section is).
  • High signal-to-noise ratio. This means I will not move a thread here if it also contains a lot of off-topic posts. I've seen many build threads that start of great, then all of a sudden it's page after page of "Dude, did I see you at Joe's Bar yesterday?", "Yes, I had a drink with my ex there.", "Your ex? I thought you were still together", etc.

The subsections

Right now, there are only 3 subsections:
  • Builds (General)
  • Write-ups & HowTos (General)
  • Other

Of course, this is just my suggestion and a bad one at that too. So I'm open to suggestions. Keep in mind though that nobody wants a ton of subsections! I do offer one suggestion of my own:
  • Reviews

I think reviews of OEM/aftermarket products specifically made for our Fieros belong in this section too.

Anyway, let me know what your thoughts are.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 07:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sound good to me.

As for product review, I would think that would be better as a sub-catagory of the General or the Mall rather than the TCZ area.

Another suggestion would be to have the "Topic" subsections like when posting in other areas, But have them seperated by engines.
An example could be:
4-cyl......V6......V8.......Turbo.....Supercharged
That way someone looking to do a specific swap can pull up only the build threads for them.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Might consider other subsections such as suspension, body, brakes, cupholders, engines, transmissions, ect................... I like this idea.

Ron

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 02-17-2009).]

whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice job Cliff I love that you have decided to do this!
$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nice job cliff, now for the off topic mall section
Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

HAGO!
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like a plan Gives people some incentive to do good how-to writeups

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

e30tech

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for e30techSend a Private Message to e30techEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This will help a ton of people!! They have a how to section on my BMW forum and it’s just a wealth of knowledge. Great idea cliff, keep up the good work!!

PFF WOOT!!
MickeyAsh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MickeyAshSend a Private Message to MickeyAshEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not to draw away, but Cliff you should probably (if possible) do something like what I've done at FieroWiki.com and allow people to upload their photos directly to your server. One of the big problems with storing this information here on PFF is losing the images later on when people's photobucket/imageshack accounts (and personal webservers) go down and their photos disappear. Also, as on FW, there definitely need to be subcategories (for different swaps/upgrades, etc). I still don't think a forum (even a seperate one) can organize this information properly but it's good that there's something in place for it here. Will archiving be disabled on this category so the threads never go away?

[This message has been edited by MickeyAsh (edited 02-17-2009).]

motoracer838

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Way to go Cliff.

Joe
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome! I only have one bit of constructive critism to add.

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:
...Threads can only be moved here by popular request, meaning if people deem your thread worthy enough. For now, this means you'll have to email or PM me your suggestions. In time, I will put something else in place to make this an automated process...

It definitely needs some solid criteria to determine what makes it in the section and what doesn't or it will turn into a popularity contest, which will breed animosity between the members. If you add threads based on what "people deem"... "worthy enough", there are going to be arguments later about why so-and-so's thread made it and whatchmacallit's didn't when whatchmacallit's had much more useable information...

Hope that makes sense. Just trying to help prevent a problem.
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MickeyAsh:

Not to draw away, but Cliff you should probably (if possible) do something like what I've done at FieroWiki.com and allow people to upload their photos directly to your server. ...

In case you hadn't noticed for 10 years Cliff has already been allowing upload of images to his server. (edited for spelling - composed on cellphone)

He also stated there would be no archiving.

Cliff, the is a great idea. great improvement.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 02-17-2009).]

BabyVet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BabyVetSend a Private Message to BabyVetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This sounds like a really good thing thanks Cliff. I will be looking forward to seening this in progress
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff,

Would some of the build threads that are already archived be able to be dusted off and placed here like:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...060206-1-046290.html

Would something like building a wiring harness for the 90mm headlights be acceptable as well?
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/095436.html

Finally, How many people have to agree for a proper request?

86fierofun

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To start, I'll nominate all of buddycraigg's how too's. He has so many that I don't even know there there until someone else bumps them...
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmm a section based on a popularity contest where you can remove flames. Sounds like archie's wet dream.

But in all seriousness,
I don't think you will need the "other" section, just turn that into the "reviews"

Its a good idea (on paper) this forum needed a sticky section, lets hope this works

I would say have some kinda button in threads "did this thread help you?" and once it gets enough it can be looked over to see if it should be moved.
But like the rating system, it may not work well as not many use it much.
And make sure to have some kinda link redirect to the moved threads

oh another forum sugestion, it would be cool if we all had a "car profile page" hooked to our accounts.
Just an idea (sounds good on paper)

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
Las Vegas Fiero Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 02-17-2009).]

MickeyAsh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MickeyAshSend a Private Message to MickeyAshEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

In case you hadn't noticed for 10 yeaars Cliff has already been aloowing upload of images to his server.

It should be pretty obvious that I hadn't noticed, considering I said what I said. Are you referring to the gallery?
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No not the gallery... if you use PIP (Pennock Image Poster) it uploads the image directly to Cliff's server. As you state, the older threads are much more useful that way as the images don't disappear because they are hosted from a defunct server.
MickeyAsh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MickeyAshSend a Private Message to MickeyAshEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No not the gallery... if you use PIP (Pennock Image Poster) it uploads the image directly to Cliff's server. As you state, the older threads are much more useful that way as the images don't disappear because they are hosted from a defunct server.

Oh hey, awesome. I had no idea that existed. Cool stuff.

[This message has been edited by MickeyAsh (edited 02-17-2009).]

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think a great place to start moving threads from is this list here.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

good idea Cliff,

Make it so.
PFF
System Bot
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

WOW!!!

Aw, gee, I don't have a build thread.

Oh, that's right... I don't build.
taintedlove

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for taintedloveSend a Private Message to taintedloveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a really great idea Cliff. As a new member I have been searching through archives trying to find some hints, tips and such. This will make it alot easier to reasearch ideas and information. Great Job on the site BTW.
Brian
85 GT 4sp
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff, thanks for putting up that list, that will make it a bunch easier to , aw nevermind, just move the whole list over.

Joe
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

if you use PIP (Pennock Image Poster) it uploads the image directly to Cliff's server.

That is if it works for you. I had no problem for about the first two or three years, but since then I cannot post on PIP, and I have reloaded, and followed every instruction given, to a "T", and no luck. I had to switch to Photobucket.

Kevin
1986Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986FieroSend a Private Message to 1986FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is another build thread of my car. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/098395.html
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by motoracer838:

Cliff, thanks for putting up that list, that will make it a bunch easier to , aw nevermind, just move the whole list over.

Joe

Hey, don't thank me. It's a list being maintained by "IMSA GT".
ALLTRBO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool, I've been recently preparing my first tech write-up/how to. It'll be ready before long.
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome! Will make the good build threads easier to find.
smartaxel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think this is a great addition. I would definitely like to see a permanant "How To" section.. On www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com, they have a tech section (basically a frozen forum page) called "techinfo" and it's got direct links for "how-to" items. I have used that numerous times for my Wife's Boneville. Think this would be great to house things people will always ask.. eg.. recall info, egr tube/solenoid repairs, bleeding the Getrag slave, clutch pedal woes, spark plug replacement tips, adding the delco cd players, fuel pump replacement, gas gauge fixes, ignition module replacement etc. Personally, I'd like to see it on a separate link, so you'd have a build section,"Construction Zone" then a completely separate area "Quick Fix" that would have write-ups and How to's section. Either way, I think this will be a wonderful addition!

[This message has been edited by smartaxel (edited 02-17-2009).]

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I actually do some review threads on here about the dew wipes and other items. For your construction area, I would remove the "reply" button to keep all the comments and requests limited to the "PM" button. If you can highlight it in green just so new members will be able to figure it out. When you look at my build thread, there are tons of requests. I think that being able to have just the build thread and comments edited out would be a good thing. There is nothing worst than 1 page of build thread and 4 more of bickering before the next set of photos appears.

I would be happy to be the moderator of this area since I know you are a busy guy

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 02-17-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
Fiero2m8

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Agreed!
Thanks IMSA GT as I refer to that list and it was the first thread I thought of for this section.
A construction zone would be a great place to refer new members to that haven't figured out the search feature.

------------------

Indy Northstar-Stretch ~ LT1-NOS Roadster

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2009 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lambo nut:
That is if it works for you.

Kevin

You can go to www.myfiero.com

It's a web based back door into Cliff's server. It should work for just about anybody.

Electrathon

Feedback score:    (39)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 254
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2009 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's a web based back door into Cliff's server. It should work for just about anybody.

More help here would be great. PIP has not worked for me (not just me, many people regularly post it does not work) in a long time. I used to use it often, then it stopped working and I have no idea how to make it work. I finally gave up out of frustration. I realize that computer tech people may be able to figure it out, but I am with the masses here and have no idea how to tweak it. I can post to othher forums and other sites, just not able to on Pennocks.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2009 05:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will start moving threads soon. I will need to change the moving process first. As it is now, if I move a thread, I add a message telling people where to find the moved thread. The problem with this is that it moves the original, now closed thread to the top of the topics list.

If I move a few hundred threads, that will put a few hundred closed threads to the top of the list, hogging up the first few pages. So I'll need to take care of that first.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2009 06:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Awesome place to start
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2009 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

+
Thanks for the heads up! I will give it a try later, when I have got some more time.

Kevin

Kevin
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2009 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nomination Process?

I nominate Fierosound's Indy Superduty rebuild.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2009 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have started moving threads from this list.

Since I'm not going to read each of the threads I'm about to move, please let me know if you see threads you feel don't belong here.
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2009 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Geez, Cliff, have you gotten ANY sleep in the last 48 hours? Take care of yourself, man.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock