L.A Machine Convertible Fiero ... what do you think by freedom0226
Started on: 06-25-2016 01:58 AM
Replies: 28 (1398 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 05-30-2017 10:55 AM
freedom0226

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2016 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for freedom0226Send a Private Message to freedom0226Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so some may have seen when i purchased this non running convertible fiero.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/096323.html help me identify this convertible.. HELPP
there's the link and title just in case you want to check it out. I started a couple of threads trying to work things out and after a fuel pump , fuel tank cleaning , replace clogged injectors, repair wiring shorts finally it started up only to find out i had a bad rod knock. Paid someone to swap a used 2.8L in, then still had to replace a worn harmonic balancer , repair more shorts in wiring , and that dreaded whining noise from the oil pump ( yup oil pump ) . So i got the car registered and today i passed California smog on the first attempt with no issues AT ALL. I cant believe it.

The car now needs body work and paint to be complete. But i wanted to know what you guys think of her thus far. Any comments are welcome..

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2016 02:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by freedom0226:

...and that dreaded whining noise from the oil pump ( yup oil pump ).

So this is the car that had the kazoo in the crankcase, eh? Cool!
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2016 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good luck with your new ragtop Fiero. That kit was first made by Brisa then California Convertible company . It is not that common. I have one in the near stages of completion and I really like it.
The good is that its the only kit that uses a one piece fold down top. They work great but you end up with a high stack when the top is down . Some owners have said that the rear view mirror view is sometimes limited because of it. The other thing that worries me is that you lose both engine vent grills and end up with a smaller one. You should also have a subframe underneath to aid in keeping the chassis rigid.
The improvements that I made include a mirror with the interior lights on it and an grill that I made from a shortened A/C air vent grill made of aluminum . I did not use the air vents that came with the kit but still have them for a possible later use. Due to the small engine vent grills, I would recommend adding a small radiator blower fan in the engine compartment.
freedom0226

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2016 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for freedom0226Send a Private Message to freedom0226Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

So this is the car that had the kazoo in the crankcase, eh? Cool!

lmao yes patrick this is the crazy kazoo car... i should nickname it kazoo. but since replacing the pump its never done it again. i appreciate your input on those threads...
My fav. top is the automoda but hey beggars cant be ..........

Yes you have basically no rear view when the top is done but man its so cool to have a convertible fiero.

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2016 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Holland Pontiac convertibles had full top and targas. The full top in mine would fold up behind the seats and drop vertically. It did not cover rear comapartment. Targas were similar in storage when down but center section was removed first.

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Good luck with your new ragtop Fiero. That kit was first made by Brisa then California Convertible company . It is not that common. I have one in the near stages of completion and I really like it.
The good is that its the only kit that uses a one piece fold down top. They work great but you end up with a high stack when the top is down . Some owners have said that the rear view mirror view is sometimes limited because of it. The other thing that worries me is that you lose both engine vent grills and end up with a smaller one. You should also have a subframe underneath to aid in keeping the chassis rigid.
The improvements that I made include a mirror with the interior lights on it and an grill that I made from a shortened A/C air vent grill made of aluminum . I did not use the air vents that came with the kit but still have them for a possible later use. Due to the small engine vent grills, I would recommend adding a small radiator blower fan in the engine compartment.

Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2016 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello

Do you have a pic of your convertible without the cover that is over the fold down mechanism ... also a pic with the top closed

regards
Danyel

------------------

Black Widow Build Thread 2007 - 2014 Tylers Toy
My Low Profile Buckets for sale My LED Sidemarkers for sale

freedom0226

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2016 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for freedom0226Send a Private Message to freedom0226Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Danyel:

Hello

Do you have a pic of your convertible without the cover that is over the fold down mechanism ... also a pic with the top closed

regards
Danyel

I will take some tomorrow and post it here so you can see the top.. the plastic portion for the rear view is ripped but I don't mind since its always in the down position anyway.
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2016 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just install those rear view cameras that go over the mirror...

http://www.kotulas.com/deal...es&utm_content=44161
freedom0226

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2016 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for freedom0226Send a Private Message to freedom0226Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

images upload

upload pics

Here are picd of the top in the closed position. All the top shops around her e want to charge me for replacing the entire top. I cant get a quote on just the plastic portion. The top is perfect with no rips or cuts.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2016 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you take off the top, I bet you will find a shop. If not, try a boat top shop as they would handle custom jobs.
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2016 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by freedom0226:.........All the top shops around her e want to charge me for replacing the entire top. I cant get a quote on just the plastic portion. The top is perfect with no rips or cuts.

Considering that the rear window is SOWN to the top they need to remove it .... removing it will cause damage ... that is why they prefer swapping in a new one .... mine will be going in soon for a new top and geting the seals redone too ...
She is lookin good !!!

regards
Danyel

------------------

Black Widow Build Thread 2007 - 2014 Tylers Toy
My Low Profile Buckets for sale My LED Sidemarkers for sale

PFF
System Bot
Tweeder

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2016 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Danyel:

Considering that the rear window is SOWN to the top they need to remove it .... removing it will cause damage ... that is why they prefer swapping in a new one .... mine will be going in soon for a new top and geting the seals redone too ...
She is lookin good !!!

regards
Danyel

What are you doing for seals?

------------------
86 SE Convertible 3800sc 4t65e HD(2002), Gen V, 3.3 pulley, SD headers

[This message has been edited by Tweeder (edited 07-01-2016).]

foxgapfiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2016 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for foxgapfieroSend a Private Message to foxgapfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is in much better condition than mine. Dennis has seen mine. I also got a roadster kit just in case I don't want to put the top back on.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2016 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is what they look like as a work in progress. Lots of fitting and a bit bulky when down but it uses a one piece top that's easy to put up in a hurry. We have the top ready to go, just looking for a good installer. IMO, with the two and three piece tops your interior could be ruined by the time that you assemble everything and get it in place,.

Engine will be a 4.9L for smooth quiet cruising. Low tech but better than the 2.8L and good hwy mileage.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 09-24-2016).]

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2016 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never had a problem with putting up the top on my Holland Pontiac conversion. Really, not much different than t-tops. Personally, not a fan of a bulky top, but it is still a conv. Fiero. Btw, I had a complete leather interior.

Here is what they look like as a work in progress. Lots of fitting and a bit bulky when down but it uses a one piece top that's easy to put up in a hurry. We have the top ready to go, just looking for a good installer. IMO, with the two and three piece tops your interior could be ruined by the time that you assemble everything and get it in place,.

Engine will be a 4.9L for smooth quiet cruising. Low tech but better than the 2.8L and good hwy mileage.

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 09-24-2016).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2016 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Never had a problem with putting up the top on my Holland Pontiac conversion. Really, not much different than t-tops. Personally, not a fan of a bulky top, but it is still a conv. Fiero. Btw, I had a complete leather interior.

Not that the three piece tops are a problem, it just takes a bit longer to put them up and you lose trunk space. In a sudden downpour that might be a test of time. I will agree that the two and three piece tops look better when they are down . IMO the one piece retractable top looks far better when its up and goes up and down in seconds. The L.A. Machine Convertible Fiero looks like a standard convertible without the "wings" on each end where they go around the air grill. I guess the stacked look when its down is the trade off, but some Mustangs that I have seen have a similar look. Can't wait to get this finished and I will be watching the weather report when going out.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

Carl Calderone

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2017 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carl CalderoneSend a Private Message to Carl CalderoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Dennis
How far along are you on the top? Got any updated pics you can post? I have the same kit and all that you said about the mirrors and the loss of sight when the top is down is all true. Ive got some issues with the top's frame work its self, I don't think it ever installed correctly from the get go. And true to form...all the local top makers around here want nothing to do with it. Ive taken it to them all
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2017 06:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ohhh, get rid of that vent. That does not look like something which belongs on any car, that looks Home Depot.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2017 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lateFormula:

Ohhh, get rid of that vent. That does not look like something which belongs on any car, that looks Home Depot.

You need to vent the heat in the engine compartment. That vent is a vital necessity. This one was built from an A/C vent. How would you vent the engine comprartment a that top that goes over the OEM engine vents?

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2017 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dennis LaGrua

15144 posts
Member since May 2000
[QUOTE]Originally posted by lateFormula:

duplicate post deleted
------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 02-20-2017).]

freedom0226

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2017 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for freedom0226Send a Private Message to freedom0226Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
here is the latest on the 85 fiero. i still need to paint the rear end of the car ( doing it in sections ) . can i get some input on the wheels ive been questioning the rims.

PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2017 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IMHO, red paint just begs for gold wheels. (It's looking good.)

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 05-27-2017).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2017 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

here is the latest on the 85 fiero. i still need to paint the rear end of the car ( doing it in sections ) . can i get some input on the wheels ive been questioning the rims.

The design of the wheels looks very nice. Good news is that wheels can be painted. I would just paint them a bright argent silver, gold or any color that you wish. I don't think that black wheels look great on this color car, but to each his own. .

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2017 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The tires appear to be very low profile- It would be better to have a somewhat taller profile tire on there...Fill the wheel wells better and have more sidewall for impact absorption...What size are wheels/tires?
freedom0226

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2017 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for freedom0226Send a Private Message to freedom0226Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rims are bronze not black. I cld see how they appear black. Rims are 17 inch ns wheels.

[This message has been edited by freedom0226 (edited 05-27-2017).]

DeLorean00

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2017 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rims are bronze not black. I cld see how they appear black. Rims are 17 inch ns wheels.

Bronze is a great color, rims and tires look awesome! Lower the car a bit to make them fill the wheel openings up a little more.
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2017 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The design of the wheels looks very nice. Good news is that wheels can be painted. I would just paint them a bright argent silver, gold or any color that you wish. I don't think that black wheels look great on this color car, but to each his own. .

Are those black or are they more an antique brass or a bronze color? I don't care for black either but those don't look quite black. I think the color looks nice and if you can find some way to carry it through to other parts of the car, I think it would be even better. Piping on the seats, carpet, vinyl coated interior parts, just something to carry it through.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 05-28-2017).]

freedom0226

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2017 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for freedom0226Send a Private Message to freedom0226Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes its a dark bronze. Thanks for the interior ideas.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2017 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the pics, I haven't seen this type of convert before. Missed this thread 1st time around.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock