Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  REVIEW--Slammed GT taillight Lenses (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
REVIEW--Slammed GT taillight Lenses by fireboss
Started on: 04-23-2016 04:13 AM
Replies: 83 (3928 views)
Last post by: JohnWPB on 06-17-2016 03:52 PM
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2016 04:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First this is a review of Slammed GT lenses and NOT to get into any of the other associated problems ,just about the lenses.

OK....

The lenses came while I was at work..

they look really Good..

Just looking at them real quick(haven't put them over another set yet)
They seem to be very sturdy.
The lettering as well as the painted lines are very crisp, they are painted on the inside of the lenses,and look Very OEM.
The paint is very dark and when I held it up to the light ,no apparent light bleed through.
The edges are beveled and smooth.
Also came with a large tube of clear sealant to adhere to modded old lenses.well packed also.

I see just a few "flaws".

Nothing that are product killers at all.

The lenses have very fine swirl marks.
The lenses don't have that wet look to them.
Both of those problems can be fixed by laying a coat of clear over them,that would also double as extra protection from minor scuffs and scratches.

Also some thin paint spots around the perimeter of the edges.--that shouldn't matter since that is where you apply the sealant to the old lenses

Again let me state I have just got home from work and HAVENT done a side by side with originals.

I took picts but they are for crap,so will take new ones in the morning in the sunlight .

Sorry but just cant get good picts right now .
I will post more in the morning,just needed to to give a fast first look at them.

So far they look like a very viable product.

[This message has been edited by fireboss (edited 04-23-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jessesmith121

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2016 04:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2016 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for sharing!
My area of concern is the integrity of the inner coating, when the adhesive (or double-sided tape) is applied to it. That may end up being a long term thing, however. (Or perhaps not "a thing" at all.)
Can these be "cleared"? I wonder about adhesion.

Of course, I'll get my answers soon enough, when mine get here.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 04-23-2016).]

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post04-23-2016 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe then you'd like to go back to all those places you spammed calling Slammed a crook in bright red letters and linking to the mall thread where you went (and incited others to follow) ballistic, and apologize for your statements and recant such claims, given that you have in fact received the items which you were claiming were not going to be delivered despite having paid for them?

Here's a few links to make it easier for you:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...ML/096474-2.html#p67
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../095376-15.html#p570
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...ML/096450-2.html#p55
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2016 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Maybe then you'd like to go back to all those places you spammed calling Slammed a crook in bright red letters and linking to the mall thread where you went (and incited others to follow) ballistic, and apologize for your statements and recant such claims, given that you have in fact received the items which you were claiming were not going to be delivered despite having paid for them?

]

You must admit that there were many inconsistencies in the posts of how these tail light lens covers were presented and introduced. Deadlines were blown, shipping info was not verifiable and the story changed from week to week. Slammed stayed with it and finally delivered a product. OK thats great. IMO, that product has the potential to be a big seller for Slammed but why all the secrecy? We still don't know anything about this person, her full name exact location, phone number etc. If she is a vendor this should be required. My name and all of my info is public. My address and phone number can be found in minutes. Until this person has transparency here like Rodney, Fiero Store, RussTTop and other sellers, the comfort level buying a product from an unknown is not very good. I am not calling Slammed dishonest but why all the mystery? No contact info and no phone number?????
ARFiero

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2016 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ARFieroSend a Private Message to ARFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Folks this is JUST about the lenses and the quality there-of. Please keep your comments about the other threads IN the other threads. No need for this to go south as well.

Shelby

[This message has been edited by ARFiero (edited 04-23-2016).]

davylong86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2016 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
^^^ What he said
fireboss

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2016 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Here's a few links to make it easier for you:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...ML/096474-2.html#p67
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../095376-15.html#p570
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...ML/096450-2.html#p55

Nope,
No apologies from me..
fireboss

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2016 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fireboss

2248 posts
Member since Apr 2011

Originally posted by Raydar:

Thank you for sharing!
My area of concern is the integrity of the inner coating, when the adhesive (or double-sided tape) is applied to it. That may end up being a long term thing, however. (Or perhaps not "a thing" at all.)

I just woke up and gonna wipe the lenses down and get a better look at them in the sunlight,the swirl marks are not deep at all ..and Im not a paint expert ..
But when Slammed was discussing about how they were gonna be painted a lot of people were agreeing with how it would be done and the type of paint that would be used.

seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2016 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Swirl marks can be removed with a foam pad and some Novus #2 plastic polish. I used a 3m headlight restoration kit and the Novus to remove any imperfections from my GT lens covers I made.

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2016 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ARFiero:

Folks this is JUST about the lenses and the quality there-of. Please keep your comments about the other threads IN the other threads. No need for this to go south as well.

Shelby

Not trying to make this thread go South as there is positive news here. Now that Slammed has been delivering I recommend that she just follow proper business protocol and post contact information like all of the other vendors in the vendors section do. I don't see this as a negative comment but as a win for her. More business results when people have a level of comfort and can develop a business relationship with their supplier. She told some her name was Michaela so maybe that's a start or she could name her company Fiero Products with some contact info. I am not being unreasonable or disrespectful in any way by saying this.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
ARFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2016 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ARFieroSend a Private Message to ARFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dennis, I wasn't commenting on your part, just the part about someone trying to make the comment that the other person should go back and say they were sorry in every post and link them to this thread yada yada yada!

Now back on topic...sorry for the short hijack.

Shelby
Slammed

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2016 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Thank you for sharing!

The paint is a 2K, it needed an adhesion promoter(just a small amount of MEKP mixed in) and I opted to use a flex agent. I didn't have to but figured it was a safe bet. Clear coat on the other hand is not a problem. Lacquer. It is one of the only paints that naturally bonds well to PETG but is not flexible so it would be best to do it after they have been "glued" in place. And if you apply it too heavy it will distort the PETG. It will even turn thinner material brittle. Don't worry it will not have that effect on 1/8"

I made a comment in my other thread that you will likely break your lens if you try to remove it without cutting the silicone. To give you an idea of adhesion, this is what happened when I attempted to brute force the cover off of a lens. You have to really yank to break and not bend PETG. I spent hours upon hours of trying different paints and silicones to get this result

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:
Until this person has transparency here like Rodney, Fiero Store, RussTTop and other sellers, the comfort level buying a product from an unknown is not very good. I am not calling Slammed dishonest but why all the mystery? No contact info and no phone number?????

You must have missed how my home address and full name were posted multiple times in my for sale thread. Any person who sent me a payment or PMd me got that information, and if they wanted my phone number I gave it to them. I only have a cell phone. I don't have a landline yet so I'd rather not just post it.

[This message has been edited by Slammed (edited 04-24-2016).]

Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2016 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Slammed:

The paint is a 2K, it needed an adhesion promoter(just a small amount of MEKP mixed in) and I opted to use a flex agent. I didn't have to but figured it was a safe bet. Clear coat on the other hand is not a problem. Lacquer. It is one of the only paints that naturally bonds well to PETG but is not flexible so it would be best to do it after they have been "glued" in place. And if you apply it too heavy it will distort the PETG. It will even turn thinner material brittle. Don't worry it will not have that effect on 1/8"

Okay. Cool!
Thanks for the clarification.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 04-24-2016).]

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2016 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fireboss:
Sorry but just cant get good picts right now .
I will post more in the morning,just needed to to give a fast first look at them.

I have to wonder if you even received the lenses or not, you promised pictures yesterday and nothing.... Now another day has gone by, and still nothing..... does that mean you are a liar and a fraud?

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 04-24-2016).]

busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2016 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

I have to wonder if you even received the lenses or not, you promised pictures yesterday and nothing.... Now another day has gone by, and still nothing..... does that mean you are a liar and a fraud?

LOL LOVE IT!
Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2016 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2016 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You must have missed how my home address and full name were posted multiple times in my for sale thread. Any person who sent me a payment or PMd me got that information, and if they wanted my phone number I gave it to them. I only have a cell phone. I don't have a landline yet so I'd rather not just post it.

If I missed it then my bad! From all of the scams that we've seen on this forum since I joined in 2000 many of us are unfortunately skeptical, If I got the wrong idea, I did apologize to you both publicly and on the forum a for my harshness. If you have established vendor transparancy then this is all that can be asked of you. Going about business this way will help you sell more products and be successful. Once you have the taillight cover process working many of us could use quarter windows that fit and have the right contour. Best of luck on this venture and your continued success.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

RossT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2016 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RossTClick Here to visit RossT's HomePageSend a Private Message to RossTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just letting you know that there are many of us waiting for the kinks to be worked out in the manufacture and sale of these and the GT quarter windows.
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2016 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RossT:

Just letting you know that there are many of us waiting for the kinks to be worked out in the manufacture and sale of these and the GT quarter windows.

Aside from my laser which should be fixed this week there isn't anything else to work out. But if I don't get many orders in the coming weeks when I have a big batch ready to ship, I won't be able to keep making them

[This message has been edited by Slammed (edited 04-24-2016).]

David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2016 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lots of pics & 2 videos from Shho13 on page 12 here: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/073560-12.html

[This message has been edited by David Hambleton (edited 04-24-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2016 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

Lots of pics & 2 videos from Shho13 on page 12 here: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/073560-12.html

He is poking at all the negative stuff he said about me. Not a serious comment
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2016 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Slammed:He is poking at all the negative stuff he said about me. Not a serious comment

Yeah, I realized that. Lol! I've been watching the mayhem unfold.
I just wanted to provide a handy link for anyone wandering through.

Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2016 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I added some installed pictures in my OP https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/073560.html#p0
IIKool

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2016 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IIKoolSend a Private Message to IIKoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I added some installed pictures in my OP https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/073560.html#p0

You have a P M
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2016 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Aside from my laser which should be fixed this week there isn't anything else to work out. But if I don't get many orders in the coming weeks when I have a big batch ready to ship, I won't be able to keep making them

Wait, so you won't be able to produce them on a per order basis if sales aren't high? For example, I'm most worried about if someone slams into me at a stop light in a year or two, I'll still be able to order another set to replace them, right?

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2016 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Someone suggested selling them through a known vendor. If you have a bunch ready, you should try that, which should yield income. Then move on to the next product. Meanwhile, don't turn down any direct requests for covers. You want to keep product moving, with minimal inventory.
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2016 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shho13:

Wait, so you won't be able to produce them on a per order basis if sales aren't high? For example, I'm most worried about if someone slams into me at a stop light in a year or two, I'll still be able to order another set to replace them, right?

That isn't what I meant. It just won't be my primary focus like it has been. My molds aren't going any where so if someone wants them they will be able to get a set. =
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2016 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That isn't what I meant. It just won't be my primary focus like it has been. My molds aren't going any where so if someone wants them they will be able to get a set. =

Good... You really are the best for getting these lenses done Slammed!

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

zmcdonal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2016 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So what's the deal? It appears these lenses have been in the hands of customers for over a month now and I have not seen any installed pictures. Everyone was all over Slammed's case for slow shipping times and lack of communication, I don't see what everyone's hurry was if this is all we are going to get as a review for a product.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2016 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zmcdonal:

So what's the deal? It appears these lenses have been in the hands of customers for over a month now and I have not seen any installed pictures. Everyone was all over Slammed's case for slow shipping times and lack of communication, I don't see what everyone's hurry was if this is all we are going to get as a review for a product.

Like this?
PFF
System Bot
fireboss

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2016 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

Like this?

He did an excellent install and awesome step by step...
DS1980

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2016 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DS1980Send a Private Message to DS1980Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is this the same vendor?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fie...3D3%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3 D272273892533
Jonathan Tate

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2016 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jonathan TateSend a Private Message to Jonathan TateEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Heees back. And with yet another eBay id. How many of his customers will be Slammed this time?
DS1980

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2016 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DS1980Send a Private Message to DS1980Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
8 units in stock. Might be worth it to advise the folks that didn't get their lenses the first time to contact the seller. I'm not sure who was all involved the first time around. I ran out of popcorn on page 5.

steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2016 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There's a Sucker Born Every Minute.

Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2016 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Every person either got their money back or their tail lights, and I'll add were very happy with them.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2016 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Every person either got their money back or their tail lights...

We'd love to know how many people actually received tail light lenses/covers... compared to how many people were dicked around before they finally got their money back.

We've seen this pattern before. Different excuses, same old game.
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2016 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

We'd love to know how many people actually received tail light lenses/covers...

I'd guesstimate that it is a similar number compared to the number of times as slammed said she'd never post here again.

[This message has been edited by no2pencil (edited 06-14-2016).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2016 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by no2pencil:

...slammed said she'd never post here again.

"she" ?

Until this vendor turns up at Jet City Fieros for a meet and greet to prove otherwise... it's a dude, Dallas Jolley.

But yeah, how many times has this person said they're done here! Promises, promises...

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-14-2016).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock