Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  GT Tail Light Repair Covers: Tons Of Pictures And Installation (Lots-o-Pictures)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
GT Tail Light Repair Covers: Tons Of Pictures And Installation (Lots-o-Pictures) by Shho13
Started on: 04-27-2016 11:43 PM
Replies: 14 (2352 views)
Last post by: Slammed on 06-17-2016 12:05 PM
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2016 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ladies and Gentleman, here are pictures of my install of Slammed's GT tail light repair covers. I also installed my "Embrace Racing LED kit" at the same time, so that will explain the different style lighting. They obviously do not affect the instructions, but keep it in mind when you are looking at my pictures.

Basic instructions:

1. Remove tail lights
  2. Disassemble tail lights (be careful not to break tabs)
  3. Use dremel tool with small metal saw blade attachment to cut out clear sections of lenses WEAR SAFETY GLASSES and be ready for a big mess of plastic to get everywhere
  4. WHEN CUTTING OUT "PONTIAC", CUT ABOUT A QUARTER INCH LOWER THAN LETTERS OR YOU WILL SEE THE CUT IN THE OLD LENS THROUGH NEW LENS!!!
  5. Use dremel tool and sanding attachment to make the edges pretty if you want to make it look like you actually put some care into your work
  6. Clean lenses and housings really well so that silicone will stick to them; let them completely dry
  7. (Optional) Spray paint the reflective surfaces in the tail light housings with "chrome paint"
  8. Silicone surface of the modified tail light assembly; pay close attention to the edges, especially the bottom and by the letters. Too much and you will be able to see the silicone through the lens in the final product
  9. Place Slammed's lens on top of the modified lens. Play around with where it seats so it sits right. Don't worry if you get silicone on the lenses, wipe it up so it's not a big glob of silicone... After it dries, you can remove it with some good old fashioned elbow grease
  10. Place a bead of silicone around the perimeter of the new/old lens to seal water out. Pretend it's like you are grouting in bathroom tile, press it in with your finger. Make it look good and neat, you can clearly see how nice it looks when you open the decklid at the top most edge (I did a terrible job of this)
  11. Let the lens dry for 24 hours
  12. Now that lens is dry, you can remove the excess silicone now. Use a few fresh towels or old T shirts
  13. Trim lens if needed
  14. Re assemble lens assembly

That's it guys. I know it's not that in depth, but that's the nitty gritty of it.

A NOTE: If your black paint under the lens chips, as per Slammed's recommendation, you can TOUCH IT UP with BLACK LACQUER. BLACK LACQUER PAINT. Only touch up the part that chipped; DON'T RE-PAINT WHOLE LENS! Use a Qtip. Cover chip with a few coats until light doesn't come through.

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Shho13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2016 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

------------------
"Discord"

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

[This message has been edited by Shho13 (edited 04-28-2016).]

Shho13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2016 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Shho13

916 posts
Member since Feb 2014

(This is with flash on, the letters look dark because of terrible lighting)

(SLOPPY SILICONE I NEED TO CLEAN UP ONE DAY)

(The white spots are my sneakers)

------------------
"Discord"

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

[This message has been edited by Shho13 (edited 04-28-2016).]

Shho13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2016 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Shho13

916 posts
Member since Feb 2014
I am beyond impressed with these lenses. The lenses themselves are extremely durable; they resist scratches really well, and seem to be able to take the abuse of every day just by the feel and how the install went.. on that note; the installation, while it took awhile, the end result is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. I would recommend these to anyone!!! The fit and finish is perfect. If you are a little sloppy with the silicone you can clean up after yourself no problem. (I need to clean up mine, as you can see!)

Slammed, us GT guys are in debt to you for putting out this product that we have been DYING for... It's been years since tail lights were on the market, and this kit is a GODSEND!

Hope you guys enjoyed the pictures!

------------------
"Discord"

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2016 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice post and thanks for sharing.the install pictures and video. The lens covers look great. Hope that you can make it to Carlisle on June 18th. I am certain that many people would love to see the finished tail lights in person. Should be many many Fieros and 100's of GM cars there.
As for the status of the lens covers; last info that was posted indicated that they have been put on indefinite hold.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2016 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That was awesome! Thanks for the pics & instructions.
Shho13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2016 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Nice post and thanks for sharing.the install pictures and video. The lens covers look great. Hope that you can make it to Carlisle on June 18th. I am certain that many people would love to see the finished tail lights in person. Should be many many Fieros and 100's of GM cars there.
As for the status of the lens covers; last info that was posted indicated that they have been put on indefinite hold.

Oh I'll definitely be at Carlisle, only thing that will keep me away is if I'm dead haha!

Thank you guys, the lenses look amazing in person! You will for sure be able to see them in person at Carlisle.

------------------
"Discord"

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2016 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
looks great now i don't know if i should go with fast back or notch back as i have both rear sections

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2016 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like Slammed did a great job on this product.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2016 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those do look nice! It certainly is a viable option for people with crappy GT tail lights. Sure delamination can be painted and polished by methods posted here on the forum. For those with cracks and holes in them, these covers are a great way to restore them to almost new, and stock looking condition.
luvfierosforever

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2016 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for luvfierosforeverSend a Private Message to luvfierosforeverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for all of the pics, video and commentary! The lens covers look amazing! Great job, Slammed. I have been following all along and happy to see this come to fruition despite all of the struggle and turmoil. I hope everything gets worked out soon so you can resume your production and foray into the other parts you were interested in producing.

Paula
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2016 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very cool. Thanks for taking the time and going to the trouble to share.

I do hope that these remain in production.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2016 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A question...
When Slammed installed the covers, it looks like the tail lights were left assembled, and the old lenses cut out.
Did you see complete disassembly as being necessary? Or did you just disassemble yours in order to recondition the reflectors?
Shho13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2016 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Raydar,

I disassembled my lenses completely to install the LED kit... I sprayed the reflectors for the PONTIAC and the reverse lights, as the LED kit does not include them. Big difference in the light output just by spraying it with the rattle can "chrome effect" paint.

At the very least, you should remove the lenses from the tail light assembly, they make a big mess of plastic bits when you start cutting into them!

------------------
"Discord"

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Slammed

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2016 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you again for posting this

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock