LS4 / F40 Swap #2 - fieroguru by fieroguru
Started on: 08-03-2014 08:55 AM
Replies: 128 (5923 views)
Last post by: qwikgta on 09-11-2017 11:44 AM
Bob2112

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2017 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bob2112Send a Private Message to Bob2112Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't have a lot of experience (none really) with prototype building of tangible items, so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but is there a reason you are making this out of metal from the start and not something easier to work with to determine the size, look & feel, etc? I would think it would be easier to build a template out of wood or some other composite material.

IP: Logged

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2017 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That is a good question...

Nearly all my R&D projects start with 16ga steel as it is quick to cut/drill/bend/form into the needed shape. Once the template is done, it is easy to take precise (+/-0.005") measurements from the part and draw the part in AutoCAD. Before I send the drawing to the machine shop for reproduction, I make a prototype from the drawing dimensions to validate their accuracy. Once I verify those, I send the drawing to the machine shop to reproduce. Once I am done with the 16ga template, I toss them on a shelf in case I need them later.

Wood isn't dimensionally stable over time, especially with changing humidity levels in a non-climate controlled garage, so getting the same level of precision would be very difficult if not impossible. There is also reduced ability to tap holes within wood as well. Plastic or composite could be an option, but metal fab and machining is my hobby, and I enjoy working with metal.

I didn't show them, but I made about 5 iterations of the 16ga templates to fine tune the 2D placement of the components. I switched to aluminum to dial in the precise 3D dimensions and create the 3D template/prototype for test fitting as well as to validate the ability to machine the part.

So in short, there normally is a method to my madness... I wouldn't say it is the best, but it works for me.

madbrad01

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2017 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madbrad01Click Here to Email madbrad01Send a Private Message to madbrad01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I guess life got in the way , i was so looking forward to see what got done on your project this weekend .

KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2017 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroClick Here to Email KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

anything new progress happening?

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2017 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Been busy with customer orders and other stuff. Probably won't get back to this for a few weeks.

KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2017 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroClick Here to Email KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Anything new to report?

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2017 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nothing new... my free time is being diverted to another project at the moment. Don't see myself doing anything with this until after the HRPT.

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2017 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Took a little longer to get back to this...

I continue to refine the oil pressure sending housing. I flipped the location of the stock LS4 oil sender and the spare 1/4 NPT (the new one is on the left). I have one more tweak to make to the drawing and I will send it off to be quoted.

Since I am still bogged down with a few details on the custom CNC water pump and accessory bracket, I decided to work on a more simplified (relatively speaking) water manifold/thermostat housing to be used with an electric water pump. This should be speed up progress, create some other potential applications, and let me get a feel for CNC costs for this setup and the potential costs for the mechanical pump setup.

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2017 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaClick Here to Email qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

** LIKE **

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock