86 T-Top Fiero - Considering buying it by Rugger
Started on: 05-05-2014 10:08 PM
Replies: 28 (1379 views)
Last post by: Jason88Notchie on 05-15-2014 04:24 PM
Rugger

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2014 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RuggerClick Here to visit Rugger's HomePageSend a Private Message to RuggerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[PICTURES ADDED BELOW]
I have an opportunity to purchase a 1986 Fiero GT from the original owner. She claims she bought it new off the lot with T-Tops installed.
The car only has 77,366 miles but I can say it hasn't been cared for very well. It has been sitting next to her house for the past 6 or 7 years and it shows.
Here are some photos. Just looking for input and opinions:
1) What do you think it is worth as it sits
2) Would you think it to be a good candidate for restoration?

I know there are no photos of the engine or trunk....someone tried to punch the lock unsuccessfully and the deck lid won;t open...the battery is dead.
3) How would you suggest we get it open to look inside?
4) Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks!
------------------

[This message has been edited by Rugger (edited 05-05-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2014 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rugger:

I have an opportunity to purchase a 1986 Fiero GT from the original owner. She claims she bought it new off the lot with T-Tops installed.
The car only has 77,366 miles but I can say it hasn't been cared for very well. It has been sitting next to her house for the past 6 or 7 years and it shows.
Here are some photos. Just looking for input and opinions:
1) What do you think it is worth as it sits
2) Would you think it to be a good candidate for restoration?

I know there are no photos of the engine or trunk....someone tried to punch the lock unsuccessfully and the deck lid won;t open...the battery is dead.
3) How would you suggest we get it open to look inside?
4) Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks!

I've drilled out locks in the junkyard, once you get to the core its usually just a flat head screwdriver to turn it. Goodluck, worst case is you destroy the decklid... but still have a nice T-Top Fiero once you replace the decklid
Rugger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2014 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RuggerClick Here to visit Rugger's HomePageSend a Private Message to RuggerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2014 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A big concern for me would be the T-top weather stripping. Sitting outside that long its degraded and as you can see its hanging from the roof. As I understand it replacements are completely unavailable. I looked into it a couple of months ago and discovered that all NOS is completely depleted and no one makes an aftermarket item because on the low quantity of T-tops made, and therefore a very small potential market exists. I would also be very wary of rust issues in the floor pan and elsewhere since it's likely the roof has been leaking for some time.

------------------
My rides...
1988 GT with a 3.4L V6 automatic
2006 Harley Sportster
'cause I love the twisties on two wheels or four.

bjc 350

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2014 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You may be able to open the trunk by putting a 12 volt source to the cigarette lighter and then trying the trunk popper switch. To me,that car would be worth scrap value of around $300.00. There is not much on it that does not need work, and we haven't seen the engine yet!
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2014 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have to agree with some of the comments above. As much as I would love to say, wow, that is a nice T-Top, jump on it..... not this time.

If the T-Top's leak, honestly, as said above, there is really nothing that can be done. I don't think that is the T-Top molding hanging down, but the trim for the headliner. I would still bet by looking at the rest of the car that the T-top molding is pretty shot. If you can get access to a hose, run it on the top of the car and see if it is leaking inside. Next, the quarter windows and tail lights look like they need replaced. The interior has some of the worst heat warping of the console I have seen on a Fiero. The body panels are really sun burnt / oxidized. That will take a lot of additional sanding and prepping to paint the car.

Personally, if you are looking for a nice restoration car, I would keep looking. It would cost you thousands more to bring it up to a fair condition Fiero, where you could take that money and buy one in fair condition already, and pay FAR less money, and do far less work to restore it.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2014 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you mention the price?

I would look for rust.
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2014 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have purchased a set of the 1986 Mustang weather seals for my car. $44.00 each. Others are using the 88 Camaro seals. These run around $89.00 each. Don't turn down a good deal because you don't want to pay $800.00 for an original Fiero set.
turbo86se

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2014 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turbo86seSend a Private Message to turbo86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's nearly identical to the Fiero I bought this past fall. What it comes down to is it what you want, and what will you do with it. If you are looking for a driver that'll be ready to hit the road next week, forget it. If you're willing to take your time and turn it into what you want. Go for it! That's what I'm doing.

In the interior, that's the headliner trim hanging down. Save it, you might be able to get away with heating it up and putting in back into place when you get that far.

RUST! Since mine is identical, you will have rust, and on mine, the floor pans are crusty around the large plug. I haven't addressed it yet, waiting for summer and the gas tank to come out. Check out the cradle and the rear frame rails. I got lucky and my frame rails are squeaky clean, as well as in the trunk corners. My cradle has some rust on the drivers side mount, but no worries b/c I'm not going to use the 2.8. I'm hoping to find a plug and play 3.4 PR on the cradle for sale here. It's only a matter of time. I was really surprised to see that the battery area has minimal rust as well.

Cost, don't spend too much. I spent a tad less than $500 on mine. Yes I probably should have paid less, but it's what I wanted. Several years ago I bought a running driving '88 T-Top coupe that just needed a control arm and tie rod due to being sideswiped for $350. I truly miss the T-Tops and the Fiero in general.

Personally I say go for it!!!
Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2014 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:

I have purchased a set of the 1986 Mustang weather seals for my car. $44.00 each. Others are using the 88 Camaro seals. These run around $89.00 each. Don't turn down a good deal because you don't want to pay $800.00 for an original Fiero set.

I had a short window of opportunity on an '88 GT T-top a couple of months ago. My research on the weather stripping mentioned that other brands/models have been tried without good result. So my questions are how well do those alternatives fit and work? How much modification is required? can you describe the process a bit?

I would love to have a T-top someday and this information might make that more realistic should the opportunity arise again in the future.

Thanks!
Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2014 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would not buy it unless I could work on it myself and I would not pay more than $500. I would not buy it unless I had inside storage to work on the car.
PFF
System Bot
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2014 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If the owner claims she bought a 1986 Fiero GT "new off the lot with T-Tops installed", I congratulate her on mastering the art of time travel: According to the Enthusiasts Guide to the Pontiac Fiero, T-Tops were first offered in 1988 as a factory authorized option (option code, CJB) --- not in 1986.

Caveat emptor.

In short, the potential seller's story seems improbable at best, and I recommend you regard your potential purchase of that particular Fiero in a corresponding manner, namely, improbable at best.
litespd

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2014 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by project34:

If the owner claims she bought a 1986 Fiero GT "new off the lot with T-Tops installed", I congratulate her on mastering the art of time travel: According to the Enthusiasts Guide to the Pontiac Fiero, T-Tops were first offered in 1988 as a factory authorized option (option code, CJB) --- not in 1986.

Caveat emptor.

In short, the potential seller's story seems improbable at best, and I recommend you regard your potential purchase of that particular Fiero in a corresponding manner, namely, improbable at best.

It IS possible that the dealership had the t-tops installed by a local C&C authorized shop, so the owner's statement that she bought it new off the lot with the t-tops is within the realm of possibility. I believe they were selling them as an aftermarket installation in '86. Had she said it was equipped from the factory with the t-tops, then you'd be correct in warning the OP about the car.

msrservices

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2014 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for msrservicesClick Here to visit msrservices's HomePageSend a Private Message to msrservicesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How about pouring a bucket of water over the T-Tops to see if they leak?

When I bought a car that had been sitting for a long time like that, the engine compartment because the home of a possum.... That was a surprise when I popped the lid.

I have to agree that $300 would be a reasonable offer.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2014 02:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How would you suggest we get it open to look inside?

Try these ideas.
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2014 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rsvl-Rider:

I had a short window of opportunity on an '88 GT T-top a couple of months ago. My research on the weather stripping mentioned that other brands/models have been tried without good result. So my questions are how well do those alternatives fit and work? How much modification is required? can you describe the process a bit?

I would love to have a T-top someday and this information might make that more realistic should the opportunity arise again in the future.

Thanks!

Here ya go, two threads on the Mustang and Camaro installs.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/104028.html

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...070315-1-062154.html

My research says otherwise.

On the picture above looking at the headliner, the black plastic stuff hanging down is an easy fix with some trim adhesive. The headliner looks in great condition. If there is a bad leak it would not look that good. I would not have fears from looking at that shot.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 05-07-2014).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2014 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by msrservices:

How about pouring a bucket of water over the T-Tops to see if they leak?

Towel on the seat says they probably do.
Rugger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2014 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RuggerClick Here to visit Rugger's HomePageSend a Private Message to RuggerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great feedback from all of you and it is all very much appreciated! I am going to consider it all before making a decision....I am also going to insure I get a look into the engine compartment and under the trunk carpet!
I would think that if there was a leak that after sitting for at least 7 years there would be mold growing like a garden inside the vehicle....but there isn't. Will do the old bucket of water over the top routine as suggested!

Will let you all know the result!

She was asking $1100, but I told her at the outset that I wouldn't go over $500....

Dave
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2014 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Offer $300 and go up to $400 then walk away.

You are going to have to drop the fuel tank if there was any fuel left in it. The pump is probably shot by now and will need replaced.
6 years every piece of rubber on the car will need looked and and 90% of it will need replaced
Breaks will need rebuilt, ever drop of fluid in the car is bad and will need flushed
If you do all that you still have to deal with the issue that caused them to park it 6 years ago.

I would pass if you do not have a couple of years to put into the project.
If it was a Yellow 87 Coupe with a V6 4 speed then yes, this one I don't know I wouldn't want to put that much time into another car.
MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2014 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:
If it was a Yellow 87 Coupe with a V6 4 speed then yes, this one I don't know I wouldn't want to put that much time into another car.

Or a purple unicorn...
Yellow = 88 only
V6 in 85 and early 86 = 4 speed manual
V6 in late 86, 87, 88 = 5 speed manual

http://www.gafiero.org/docs/fierospecs.pdf

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel
My HUD install thread
Modified stock air canister and base to 3.5 inch for 3800na

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2014 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MulletproofMonk:

Or a purple unicorn...

Exactly
PFF
System Bot
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2014 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Junk yard value and that's it. That is a FULL restoration project. Trust me. You will spend a lot more $$ than starting with a better Fiero. Now I have seen people paying $400 for the cut roof of a T-top with the glass. Maybe better and installing in a nicer Fiero.
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2014 06:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Offer $300 and go up to $400 then walk away.

Wife would be a bit pissed, but I would probably come home with it for $300.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2014 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by no2pencil:

Wife would be a bit pissed, but I would probably come home with it for $300.

The only reason I would go that high is the TTops, there are more than $400 worth of parts in the car but its going to take a while to get them.

I would buy it cut the top off and pull some commonly sold parts and junk the rest.
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2014 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The only reason I would go that high is the TTops, there are more than $400 worth of parts in the car but its going to take a while to get them.

I would buy it cut the top off and pull some commonly sold parts and junk the rest.

All that mess, grease, & time. That is why she'd be pissed.

You buy it, & I'll just come over & help
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2014 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
for what its worth, I have a TTOP and while its great to cruze with on a Saturday night, that's about the only time its cool. They leak, which means if you drive in the rain, you get wet, and the water leaks into the roof, which will cause the headliner to rot. The seats will get wet, and then it will smell inside. The car creaks a lot when driving, and makes a lot of noise, and when the tops are off, windows down, its so loud when driving you can't even talk to the passenger/listen to music.

And like others have said, you will have to spend a crap ton of money to fix it up. I'd buy it for parts, TTOP owners are always looking for parts.

Rob
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2014 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bet that interior has been through a lot of heat and cold cycles while staying damp inside and when it finally dries out will be rotten. Its a shame they parked it uncovered like that.
Rugger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RuggerClick Here to visit Rugger's HomePageSend a Private Message to RuggerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have to express my sincere appreciation to all of you who took the time to answer and save me from what would have probably been an extremely expensive project and quite possibly could have resulted in the end of my marriage !

I took a pass on the car...it's still sitting there in Saginaw.....Whew!
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good call Rugger.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock