Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Run For The Hills # 18---September 20-22, 2013 (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Run For The Hills # 18---September 20-22, 2013 by fierofool
Started on: 07-03-2013 08:49 PM
Replies: 128 (2478 views)
Last post by: Newbfiero on 09-24-2013 12:21 AM
animal

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2013 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for animalSend a Private Message to animalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It would be really helpful to see an agenda for RFTH so we could decide when to arrive and when to reserve a room. Are things going on starting the morning of the 20th and also the day of the 22nd??
IP: Logged
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2013 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Deadline for reserving a room at the discounted rate at the host hotel is August 20. This area is very popular throughout September and October, so it would be near impossible to find a room within 10-15 miles. At least at a reasonable rate. Likely the rate for one night will be more than our rate for 2 nights and the Holiday Inn Express next door is already booked up.

The agenda:
September 20---Arrival and meet and greet. Socializing and doing final checks and tweaks on the cars.
September 21---The actual day of Run For The Hills. The evening festivities include a group sit down dinner at a local restaurant and drawing for the limited edition event coffee mugs.
September 22---Return home.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2013 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierofool

12811 posts
Member since Jan 2002
I paid a visit to the Elliott Racing compound and spoke with Earnie Elliott about a guided tour through their facilities. I'm still waiting for his daughter to check out the insurance liabilities and have heard nothing from her, yet. I don't know if the tour will be in the schedule, or not. I also visited the Georgia Racing Museum for a tour, but they're having a fashion show that weekend. The museum is owned by the City of Dawsonville and they rent out the museum for other events. All the cars will be removed for the fashion show.
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2013 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it worth it to stay Friday night?
Fierfly and I are about 3-4 hours from RFTH each year, and we wouldn't consider trying to drive in early Saturday instead. It's worth every penny to hang out with everyone Friday night and start the run completely refreshed.

Should I stay Saturday night?
First couple years, we waited until after the run to decide whether to drive home or stay. Each time we wanted to stay simply because we were worn out. It was hit and miss on whether or not a room was available (like Fierofool said, this area is busy this time of year). Now, we just reserve both nights early because we know we will regret it if we don't.

So...if you decide not to stay either of these nights, I reserve the right to say "I told you so." If you DO stay...I will bring extra cigars, you are welcome to join me.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2013 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
....and if you don't stay the 2 nights, you your bill will be corrected so that you pay the non-discounted rate, even if you've reserved a room.
animal

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for animalSend a Private Message to animalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the agenda! See you there.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For anyone planning to show up on Saturday morning, we will be pulling out by or before 9AM. If you're late, you're left. Driver's meetings usually start about 8:30.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2013 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
August 24 Afternoon Update for Tshirts

I have remaining:

(4) small,
(4) med,
( 8 ) lge,
( 4 ) xl,
(1) 2xl,
and (6) 3xl
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2013 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierofool

12811 posts
Member since Jan 2002
If you failed to secure a room at our host hotel in Dahlonega, as an alternate, I would suggest the Comfort Inn in Dawsonville, Ga. at 127 Beartooth Pkwy, Dawsonville, GA - (800) 992-2694. We have made no arrangements with them, so you are at their mercy. They are located 15 miles away from the host hotel.
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yesterday I drove the entire route as a test run. I must say, this is a very nice run -- plenty of curves, and very little straight driving. Those of you who come, I think you're going to like it. Y'all cone on now, y'heah?

Dragon

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DragonSend a Private Message to DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking forward to seeing everyone again

Might not have a Fiero - but we are rolling up in something.

------------------

Frank Martin
87 GT
3800 s/c - lowered with Held Motorsports suspension - Suicide Doors by Archie
Custom Paint
Fun To Drive Daily Driver

87 Convertible
Sunshine Car

PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It will be good to see you again, too. Hook a tow strap onto Ron and some others and bring them along, too.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierofool

12811 posts
Member since Jan 2002
Tshirts Remaining
August 26 Afternoon Update:

I have remaining:

(4) small,
(4) med,
( 8 ) lge,
( 3 ) xl,
(1) 2xl,
and (6) 3xl
Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DragonSend a Private Message to DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

It will be good to see you again, too. Hook a tow strap onto Ron and some others and bring them along, too.

Ron is hanging out in Calif

Rather a bummer

Frank
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2013 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Tshirts Remaining
August 31 Afternoon Update:

I have remaining:

(3) small,
(3) med,
( 8 ) lge,
( 3 ) xl,
(1) 2xl,
and (6) 3xl
TopNotch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a friendly bump.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2013 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tshirts Remaining
September 7 Morning Update:

I have remaining:

(3) small,
(3) med,
( 8 ) lge,
( 2 ) xl,
(1) 2xl,
and (6) 3xl

If you haven't made reservations already and still plan to come, you might try Comfort Inn on Beartooth Pkwy in Dawsonville, Ga. They have hosted us 4 or 5 times in the past and may have rooms available. They're about 15 miles away from our host hotel in Dahlonega. We have made no arrangements with Comfort Inn.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2013 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just made my reservation on the Days Inn website. Looks like they have at least a few rooms left.

Tshirts Remaining

Are these the 50-50 shirts? Or the new 100% cotton ones you mentioned?
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2013 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Days Inn probably does have rooms still available, but I don't think they are giving our group rates. Are they? If they are, that's good but as they told Pat, after August 20 they would go back up to the standard rates, or if a room was reserved for only 1 night, it would be the standard rate.

The shirts are 100% cotton inner surface and polyester outer surface. Cotton inside for wicking and polyester outside to accept the sublimation printing. Just 5 more days to place your order for shirts.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2013 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't get the discounted rate, but then I didn't call.
I just made my reservations online, since I happened to think about it. (I tend to get sidetracked, and didn't want to forget until it was too late.)
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2013 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess it's a good thing I didn't already get a room booked. I found out this week that work has other plans for me that weekend. I'm not particularly pleased at that but whatever.

Have fun, everybody.
PFF
System Bot
Fierfly

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2013 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierflySend a Private Message to FierflyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skuzzbomer:

I guess it's a good thing I didn't already get a room booked. I found out this week that work has other plans for me that weekend. I'm not particularly pleased at that but whatever.

Have fun, everybody.

Well darn. We will miss having you there. Maybe you can catch the Booze Cruise in October (plans pending).
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just 1 more day to be able to order your event tshirt.

On a different note, after a number of calls to Earnie Elliott, Inc., the contact I have for arranging a guided tour through their facilities has not been available at any time I've called, nor has she replied to any requests to call me. At this time I will have to say there's no likelyhood that we will be able to get a tour through their facilities.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The run is this weekend. Weather forecast is for low to mid 80's but being in the mountains, it could get a little cool at night. You may want to bring a light jacket along for hanging out at the curb at night.
Dave E Bouy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One day I'm coming down for this. Maybe the next time you guys do the Tail of the Dragon. It's 10 hours for me just to Knoxville but I'd start at the north end and meet up somewhere in the middle........Sigh. Well a guy can dream I guess
Dave E Bouy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dave E Bouy

1465 posts
Member since Sep 2004
Oops double post

[This message has been edited by Dave E Bouy (edited 09-17-2013).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dave E Bouy:

One day I'm coming down for this. Maybe the next time you guys do the Tail of the Dragon. It's 10 hours for me just to Knoxville but I'd start at the north end and meet up somewhere in the middle........Sigh. Well a guy can dream I guess

The Dragon is on the schedule for year after next, 2015, the 20th Anniversary of Run For The Hills
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump to the top.

For anyone undecided...here are a few things to consider.

1. There are always empty seats. So, if you want to join in the fun but don't have a car to bring...come anyway and hitch a ride.

2. This is a great opportunity to see some engine swaps in action. This year, I know we will have some V8s, some 3800s, some 3.4s, as well as some very nice stock dukes and 2.8s. You never know what else might show up.

3. This is a cruise, not a race...but some of us do get a little wild. The further forward you are in the line, the faster the pace will be...but there are enough stops to keep everyone together. These will be tight, technical curves...and we actually have to work to maintain the legal speed limits. It is pretty rare for any of us to hit "arrest me" speeds.

4. This is a cruise, not a show...you WILL see multi-colored Fieros on this run, so feel free to bring yours. You will also see some trophy winners.

5. Safety is the number one priority...and we have a great record. We occasionally have someone kick the back end out...but my understanding is that in the 17 previous runs we have no tickets (on the actual run...not going to discuss the scouting runs), and the worst accident was someone backing into an embankment and damaging a rear fascia. Fierofool can confirm this...I just know we have been flawless in the last 4 that I have been involved in.

6. Most of us can do the entire run comfortably on one tank of gas, but pitstops are planned so that you can make the run regardless of how bad of mileage your car gets.

7. In case anyone thinks they don't have enough car for this run: I will be driving a stock 84 duke with an auto and original 260k mile suspension...and I plan to keep up with the best of them.

This is the one Fiero event that I absolutely will NOT miss...it is truly that much fun.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 06:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are some pics...

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
CowsPatoot has described Run For The Hills very well. You can drive the route as you desire. We usually advise that those who want to be most agressive to take the front, followed by the less agressive then the sightseers.

Greg not only tries to keep up in that little 84 4-cylinder, he often sets the pace. Raydar's pictures depict the stretches where you get to catch a breath. The reason he doesn't show the rest is because he had his hands full of steering wheel. This year there are few stretches to catch a breath. You'll have to do that when we make a rest stop. Here is some video of other parts of that same run. http://www.gafiero.org/rfth13.shtml

I became active with RFTH at Number 7. Ramon Otero had said there was never an accident in the previous years. The one incident CowsPatoot mentions actually occurred on a section of this year's run. As I recall, she said she was reaching over into the passenger floor to retrieve her FRS radio, in the midst of 3 hard downhill curves. After cleaning the grass and dirt from her right exhaust pipe, she continued to finish the run.

Tickets? Someone who will go nameless got a speeding ticket in his convertible while on his way to a scouting run. He hadn't even gotten there, yet! Another got one for 72 in a 45 on another portion of this year's run. He was lagging way back, being the last car, and was trying to catch up with the group when he encountered a Georgia State Patrol officer. But it wasn't during RFTH. It was just a weekend cruise.

We think you might want to re-run some portions of this year's run and we believe you'll have the time to do it. Especially the last section of roadway.

I'm also told that one of the originators of the Run For The Hills events will be attending and he has to drive about 7 hours to get here. So, what's your excuse for not attending?
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm also told that one of the originators of the Run For The Hills events will be attending and he has to drive about 7 hours to get here. So, what's your excuse for not attending?

Erm, OSHA over here. Was hoping to make it on the bike but that went out the window when work scheduled the trainer and CPR refresher course. Oh, well.

I'm mildly frustrated. Weather is showing as a great weekend for a run.
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skuzzbomer:

Erm, OSHA over here. Was hoping to make it on the bike but that went out the window when work scheduled the trainer and CPR refresher course. Oh, well.

I'm mildly frustrated. Weather is showing as a great weekend for a run.

I suppose it would be really bad form to call out sick.

Wait... OSHA?
Just tell them that you can't be there because the voices told you that you have to clean all the guns.
TopNotch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2013 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CowsPatoot:
1. There are always empty seats. So, if you want to join in the fun but don't have a car to bring...come anyway and hitch a ride.

I'll have an empty seat -- the grandkids won't be available this weekend. Sometimes I take one along. It's amazing how they can keep playing their Nintendo DS's while being slung around curves!
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2013 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an empty seat, too. Would love to have someone ride along.
spirit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2013 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spiritSend a Private Message to spiritEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Guys, remember the guy (no names) that was lagging behind and was out of walkie-talkie range when we saw a GHP. And of course he was trying to catch up. He now has a new best friend who he will remember for a long time. YES he did get a ticket. I am thinking it was on this run. The GHP was hiding in an orchard beside a fairly straight section along a river.
TopNotch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2013 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This was one of the more interesting runs I have been on. According to Fierofool (unofficial RFTH historian), this was only the 2nd run done in rain. And because it was raining, I didn't shoot any video. (There would have been a windshield wiper swiping across the video.)
But we had fun on the curves any way. And who knows -- maybe we'll do a re-run on a clear day. (We've been known to do that.)

We had one car break down in front of a country church...

It kind of looks like we're going to a prayer meeting.

We hope Elder Mooney didn't mind us parking on the church lawn.

After the run, we had excellent food in the Smith House in Dahlonega...

There's an abandoned gold mine in the Smith House...

A mirror lets you peek down the mine shaft.

The day was topped off by a gorgeous sunset.

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2013 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spirit, you are correct. We did use that same section of highway as part of the run, except they sneaked up on him this time and came in from the opposite direction,. It was raining pretty hard at the time the crew probably passed by there, so I don't know what their speed was and I didn't hear any reports of seeing him.

The rain started about an hour before our run and ended shortly after our run, just opposite of a run we did out of Franklin a few years back where the rains stopped just before and started again after we returned. Things balance out, I guess.

I and Aereodonamic had gone back to the Church with the owner of the breakdown to meet the wrecker and give them directions back to the hotel so I missed that part. I did, however make that run on Friday when it was clear and about 82, as I placed turn markers along the course. My rule was that when the curves were marked with /////// on the signs, I slowed down to 65 and when they were marked with > > > I dropped it down to 60.

Missed you. It would have been nice to have had you among the group.

Following TopNotch's breautiful sunset, there was a nice sunrise this morning. This is the view from my window.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 09-22-2013).]

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2013 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks to Pat and Charlie for handling all of the logistics. This was actually one of the better routes that we have run. Dry roads would have made it spectacular.

The breakdown was a puzzler. (No. It wasn't mine.)
I'm betting that it will turn out to be one of those things that make you say "DOH!".
But it's a beeech to try to troubleshoot anything in the rain. (Be sure to dry out your tools, Charlie.) At least we weren't that far from civilization.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 09-22-2013).]

Newbfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2013 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NewbfieroSend a Private Message to NewbfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Real Nice
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2013 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Newbfiero:

Real Nice

Hope you can make it down, sometime.

Jack, Sorry you couldn't be here. The dampness didn't detract too much from the festivities.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock