Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Chop top widebody mera project. (Page 5)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Chop top widebody mera project. by Custom2M4
Started on: 01-25-2013 03:44 PM
Replies: 264 (17345 views)
Last post by: 355Fiero on 09-26-2020 04:19 PM
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2013 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think it looks great! But for what it's worth, I've got a couple comments that are intended only as friendly observations:

- From a visual balance perspective, to me it looks like there's a lot of rear bulk, thickness (whatever) from the combination of the super wide hips, to the hatch, to the tall Corvette-like rear fascia. Perhaps it's unfair to say until we get to see a front quarter view though.

- I'd worry a bit how that hatch will look in real life... to me it looks like an after-thought rather than being an integral part of the design. I "get" that it's reminiscent of the F40 hatch with the louvers and all, but a big ol' flat pane looks out of place when the rest of the car is all gorgeous compound curves. Unfortunately there aren't too many alternatives for a hatch (if you really want one) given the design of the sail panels.

- Then there's the way that the glass section get truncated with a vertical wall halfway back between the roof and the trailing edge of the deck lid. I can see how it probably morphed from the trailing edge of the original deck lid grill but since you'd be working this area from scratch, wouldn't it make more sense to redesign this area?

If it were me, I think I'd ditch the hatch and solve all of the above. There's just something really sexy about having that turtle deck out back if for no other reason than to fly in the face of all the jellybean hatches out there. Just my 2 cents.
IP: Logged
Christine

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2013 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChristineSend a Private Message to ChristineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Joe aka (motoracer838), I like the red one and the changes you would make do make it better but I like the gray one better I just like the side body panels more, I would like to see the front of this Gray one, I am not sure I am loving any of the front ends so I would likely modify the front if I was to do either of these kits.

I think this looks like a great project for you I have seen your work and it would be an awesome finished ride. Please do make a build thread for everyone to see, I can just come over and see your progress in person, so as soon as you get the makings to do this project let me know so I can check it out.

Originally posted by RCR:

Thanx Nelson...

Updated picture...

Bob

355Fiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2013 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Joe. I do but there aren't any more extended screens around from the original buy.

I would suggest a mid 90's Sebring coupe screen. Closest you get with the least amount of rework required.

Bob;

You should think about the extended screen as well.....

Keep the update coming Bob.

Joe, thinking you need to start up a thread. I have a 3" stretched Fiero frame with the widened suspension already done that you might be interested in......

Cheers
Don
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2013 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 355Fiero:
Bob;

Cheers
Don

Hi Don, It will have an extended windshield, one way or another...
Bob

PS: Merry Christmas everyone.
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2014 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Joe. I do but there aren't any more extended screens around from the original buy.

I would suggest a mid 90's Sebring coupe screen. Closest you get with the least amount of rework required.

Bob;

Joe, thinking you need to start up a thread. I have a 3" stretched Fiero frame with the widened suspension already done that you might be interested in......

Cheers
Don

Don, I was planning on the Sebring windshield. I already have an '88 I'm planning to cut up for the project, thanks but yours would probably cost too much to get here.

The plexi rear hatch won't happen, too much cost for a "one of", without someone else paying for the project, I can guarantee no molds will be made off the parts. Spent wayyy too much time and money on my Countach "holy grail".

Joe
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2014 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Inspiration:

Bob
Bozzie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2014 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bob...... That is HOT !!!!!

------------------
http://i252.photobucket.com...ec/2007_12240001.jpg

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 07:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When are you gonna stop dreamin' and start buildin' there Bob? That DOES look amazing, though if it were my car I think I'd leave the deck lid scoops and wing in the spare parts bin. IMHO they ruin the simple, gorgeous, flowing lines of the car.
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

When are you gonna stop dreamin' and start buildin' there Bob? That DOES look amazing, though if it were my car I think I'd leave the deck lid scoops and wing in the spare parts bin. IMHO they ruin the simple, gorgeous, flowing lines of the car.

I completely agree Blooz, the 288 GTO is my all time favorite Ferrari and the added "adornments" really mess with perfection. Years ago I got to photograph and drive (for all of 2 miles but anything is better than nothing) a genuine 288 GTO owned by a pro football player that play here in KC. It was the thrill of a lifetime and I have never seen another real one in person since.

Dr. W.

------------------
Is your Fastback GT's trunk seal shot? My Gen IV replacement GT trunk seals with miter double bonded corners are now in production. $95 shipped to the US (contact me for international shipping rates) More info can be found here GT Trunk Seal Project

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 01-20-2014).]

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh... You guys kill me .... Seriously, it is coming close to fruition. Just waiting on the bonus check to arrive. I've already made contact with someone that can do the 430 side vents for me and I'm looking for a donor body

As for the above pics, I'm not all that sure it's a 288. The wheelbase looks too short. I thought it was a modified 308/328. Either way, it's a really cool looking car.

Bob

How about more inspiration?

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 01-20-2014).]

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's... er... interesting. Is that a periscope?
PFF
System Bot
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That's... er... interesting. Is that a periscope?

I don't think so, but it might be happy to see you...

Bob
355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bob;

Got your reply to my email. Thanks

Also, Rob (Amida) had two AD extended screens for sale recently. $1000 for both. only selling together. Not sure if he still has them. I would hazard a guess that those may be the only unused extended screens left from the original purchase back in 2004. I didn't think these even existed until I saw Rob's post. I have the tray mold as well.

Good luck with getting the body to start with and then get at it. Don't forget to do the front end change up to make it closer to oem front hood........

Cheers
Don

Edit: BTW, that black car above is a 288 GTO. Just not very nice looking (in my opinion) scoops and the rear end is jacked up a bit for whatever reason.... The rear end is setup like the 288 GTO so a 308/328 was rearranged to go with the longitudinal engine trans setup. The rear fenders also look proportionally correct. Might just be an optical illusion for looking a bit short in the rear quarters.

[This message has been edited by 355Fiero (edited 01-22-2014).]

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bob;

Got your reply to my email. Thanks

Also, Rob (Amida) had two AD extended screens for sale recently. $1000 for both. only selling together. Not sure if he still has them. I would hazard a guess that those may be the only unused extended screens left from the original purchase back in 2004. I didn't think these even existed until I saw Rob's post. I have the tray mold as well.

Good luck with getting the body to start with and then get at it. Don't forget to do the front end change up to make it closer to oem front hood........

Cheers
Don

Edit: BTW, that black car above is a 288 GTO. Just not very nice looking (in my opinion) scoops and the rear end is jacked up a bit for whatever reason.... The rear end is setup like the 288 GTO so a 308/328 was rearranged to go with the longitudinal engine trans setup. The rear fenders also look proportionally correct. Might just be an optical illusion for looking a bit short in the rear quarters.

Hey Don,
I saw the windshields, but didn't realize that Mr355 was Rob. I wouldn't mind having them, but I don't think I want to drop 1k$ plus shipping to hope one gets here in proper shape from the other side of the country. Besides, as far as this car has gone, I really haven't followed the beaten path. I wouldn't mind trying something different or old-school.

Don't forget to do the front end change up to make it closer to oem front hood........

I was thinking more of a clam shell, like the 512BB.

More to come...

Bob

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 01-22-2014).]

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really like the open front on this one...

Thoughts?

Bob
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Worked on the virtual car today. How about a front view?

Bob
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2014 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I really like the open front on this one...

Thoughts?

Bob

Really liking that front end, I can see this front on the last photoshop you did on the red one, might still need the pop up headlights to keep from getting hassled about the height of the headlights. That black scoop on the hood has to go!!!

Joe

[This message has been edited by motoracer838 (edited 01-30-2014).]

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2014 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tweaked the front...

Bob
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2014 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I have a body located, I'll know more in a couple of days.

Joe
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2014 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the front view but I think you've underestimated how bowed the line at the base of the windshield really should be. I have a few of my Stinger 308 from dead on but don't like them very much because the Fiero curves upwards in the middle... it's just the way the frame is made. Here's a photo of one of my frames giving you a better idea how rounded it is:

85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2014 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the front of the Fiero Mera but I have no experience with the real thing but do think the nose or bumper needs to be different then the original here is Rodney's euro front I like it better too

http://rodneydickman.com/ca...e5603db3dee9664f6918

LOL just realized this is the picture RCR already used

------------------

Love The Excitement! //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/068738.html

[This message has been edited by 85SEnochie (edited 02-07-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2014 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I like the front view but I think you've underestimated how bowed the line at the base of the windshield really should be. I have a few of my Stinger 308 from dead on but don't like them very much because the Fiero curves upwards in the middle... it's just the way the frame is made. Here's a photo of one of my frames giving you a better idea how rounded it is:

I used a Mera for the image, and didn't change anything. My version will have extended glass of some kind (not Trevor's), but I didn't take that into account for the re-touch.

Originally posted by motoracer838:

I think I have a body located, I'll know more in a couple of days.

Joe

Joe... Anything you can speak of?? Promise I won't try to grab it

Bob

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 02-07-2014).]

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2014 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RCR

4397 posts
Member since Sep 2002

Originally posted by 85SEnochie:

I like the front of the Fiero Mera but I have no experience with the real thing but do think the nose or bumper needs to be different then the original here is Rodney's euro front I like it better too

http://rodneydickman.com/ca...e5603db3dee9664f6918

LOL just realized this is the picture RCR already used

Just noticed...that's the image I used.

Bob

85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2014 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had to brighten it up a little I wanted to see more of what you did nice work using Gimp2

------------------

Love The Excitement! //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/068738.html

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2014 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85SEnochie:

Had to brighten it up a little I wanted to see more of what you did nice work using Gimp2

Ah.. you noticed the logo... Thanx for the compliment.

Bob
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2014 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is not the best picture but here is a front on view of a black 87 Mera. I can get the same angle as Rodney's vehicle on either car if you need/want that. The black car has a Euro style bumper and the grey one has a stock Mera bumper.

Here is a similar colored 87 Mera from the front.

Nelson

I wonder what happened to the images? I did use PIP and this is my first documented problem with it.

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 02-10-2014).]

motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2014 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Joe... Anything you can speak of?? Promise I won't try to grab it

Bob

Bob, it's a car down in Az, my guess is it's a Fejer. I've already got wheels and tire sizes worked out, but wont be able to start on it until I get the Indy Hauler on the road this spring.

Joe

[This message has been edited by motoracer838 (edited 02-15-2014).]

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2014 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bob, it's a car down in Az, my guess is it's a Fejure. I've already got wheels and tire sizes worked out, but wont be able to start on it until I get the Indy Hauler on the road this spring.

Joe

Excellent. I think I have a line on one, but can't pull the trigger until the end of the month.

What size wheels are you going with? Changing suspension at all?

Bob
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2014 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Excellent. I think I have a line on one, but can't pull the trigger until the end of the month.

What size wheels are you going with? Changing suspension at all?

Bob

Body will be going on my '88 coupe,
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000024.html
Wheels, I'm thinking TSW Rivage http://www.elementwheels.co...p?prod=TSW-1895RIV-S
Or, TSW Tanaka http://www.elementwheels.co...p?prod=TSW-1895RIV-S
most likely the Tanaka, sizes 17x8 front 18x9.5 rear, after spending a lot of time looking at tire specs, I think I'll wind up with 235-45-17 in the front and 275-40-18 for the rear. overall dia of the tires 25.3 for the front and 26.7 rear, taking into account the larger dia of the rear wheels I have 1/4" more sidewall in the rear than the front, the stagger will subtle.

Suspension will have coilover struts rear, and I'm expecting to have to add coilover shocks in the front.

Hmmm, looks like myfiero.com is down.

Joe

[This message has been edited by motoracer838 (edited 02-09-2014).]

motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2014 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

motoracer838

3751 posts
Member since Jan 2006

Bob, it's a car down in Az,

Joe

[/QUOTE]
Got it, some damn fool tried to outbid me at the last second, glad I incerased my max bid.
Now for my next trick, getting it to Denver, I'm thinking a hairbrain plan ala Hot Rod/Roadkill. of course the last time I did something like this was with the Indy Hauler, it was a known runner and I still had issues getting home.

Joe

[This message has been edited by motoracer838 (edited 02-09-2014).]

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2014 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Got it, some damn fool tried to outbid me at the last second, glad I incerased my max bid.
Now for my next trick, getting it to Denver, I'm thinking a hairbrain plan ala Hot Rod/Roadkill. of course the last time I did something like this was with the Indy Hauler, it was a known runner and I still had issues getting home.

Joe

Congrats Joe. I kind of figured that was it when you mentioned Az. So when does the build start? Looking forward to the build thread.

Bob

PS Did the girl come with it?

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 02-10-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2014 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bob beat me to the real question on everybody's mind.
355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2014 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice find;

Fejer bodies are some of the better ones out there for replicas.

When do you need to go get it?

Cheers
Don
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2014 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL, Didn't get the girl.
I've decided against the Roadkill type of trip, too many variables with getting it running, with as long as it's been sitting, I have concerns about the fuel system. Looking into transport costs.

As for the build, I'm guessing summer before I have room in the shop.

Cherrs beers n gearz. Joe
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2014 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Arranged transport with a company the seller uses, it should be here Saturday or Sunday.

Joe
355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2014 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking forward to a build thread Joe;

Maybe start one up over a MM??

Cheers
Don
Falcon Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2014 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon FieroSend a Private Message to Falcon FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Koenig Ferrari 308

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131...id=p3984.m1423.l2648

[This message has been edited by Falcon Fiero (edited 02-14-2014).]

batousai666

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I seen this and thought of you guys

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fer...60&pt=US_Cars_Trucks
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Joe

There was a kid on here a couple months ago claiming he bought this car. It was in the stinger thread. Exact same picture and everything. I wonder if you bought it off him. Shoot some more pictures when you get it.

------------------

motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Custom2M4:

There was a kid on here a couple months ago claiming he bought this car. It was in the stinger thread. Exact same picture and everything. I wonder if you bought it off him. Shoot some more pictures when you get it.

Yup, that was the guy, car will be here later today.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock