Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  pr0j3c1 turbo 3800 71k mile guru wheelie machine (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
pr0j3c1 turbo 3800 71k mile guru wheelie machine by Justinbart
Started on: 01-13-2013 02:55 PM
Replies: 505 (21809 views)
Last post by: Justinbart on 02-21-2015 08:58 AM
Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a Justinbart and darkhorizon quick and dirty collaboration build.

Major parts List:
Precision billet 6262sp turbo (.68 t-4,4" anti-surge)
Precision billet wastegate 50mm
Tial q blow off valve 50mm
Turbosmart dual stage boost controller Turbonetics style regulator top port controller.
ZZP SS powerlog
DEI T4 turbo blanket
DEI header wrap
Stattama ST2 Camshaft
Rollmaster double timing chain
PAC 130# valve spings
Titanium modified retainers
Viton valve seals
Siemens Deka 60# Injectors
ZZP 4T65E (HD) Transmission with ALL the goodies
ZZP aluminum trans pan cooler
Meziere Billet Flex Plate
ZZP 245mm Torque Converter - 3500 2750
Deatchwerks DW300 fuel pump
ZZP mini-afc
Meziere electric waterpump (to replace the motor's water pump)
Meziere intercooler waterpump 20gpm
eBay big a2w intercooler
Series III na uim and lim, zzp tb adapter
ZZP HV3 insert
Velocity stack with 6" air filter
New ac delco coils/wires/ignition module
phonedawgz wiring harness
AEM wideband
Autometer boost gauge
Darkhorizontune

Drove to Pittsburgh, picked up the car.

This is what I had to start with. It didn't run very good at all. I don't think this would even pass for DH quality.

Did a compression check. All was good

Tore down most of the engine for new wire harness upper and lower intakes etc. Later the owner decided to go with a built transmission so the whole thing came out.

Rear mount turbo using Nosrac's adapter welded on.

Made two more engine mounts to eliminate the dog-bone. Made everything straight and level. It was terrible... Dropped the cradle and cleaned it up.

Found this gem

Made a run to ZZP

This thing had factory rubber trans mounts so I ditched those and got Rodney polly mounts.

Out with the old. Pulled the ST2 from DH's car.

New springs, retainers, seals.

Oil drain. an-12

Rollmaster chain

Relocated the alternator

Back in the car

Exhaust

Intercooler stuff

Added another brace for the turbo

It's pretty close now to being done. Need DH to do some tuning

First drive with full exhaust.

Who knows if these clips mean anything...
With muffler from 5 feet

With dump pipe from 5 feet

With muffler from 25 feet

With dump pipe from 25 feet

Went for another short drive, this time with the dump pipe. Windows were down half way. I did some funny things while driving it. I kept letting off the gas trying to shift it like I do my car. lol. I don't think I ever went over 50% throttle. I didn't want to spin the tires while I was watching the wideband.

Still working on this post.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.17@132.6

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 04-19-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As you can see in the video, we were able to wheelie roughly 2 feet in the air.
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good guys! I like the modular exhaust, very clever. Good luck meeting your goals. Oh yeah.. cheeky title!

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 01-13-2013).]

Jfrost

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JfrostSend a Private Message to JfrostEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice build, and I agree, the exhaust set-up is very clever. Any more info on the additional engine mount near the alternator? Did you fabricate the poly mount portion or is that a modified mount? Looks like something I could use on my swap to secure things a bit more.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jfrost:

Nice build, and I agree, the exhaust set-up is very clever. Any more info on the additional engine mount near the alternator? Did you fabricate the poly mount portion or is that a modified mount? Looks like something I could use on my swap to secure things a bit more.

I made it from scratch. I used part of the expanded portion from the factory tip to go around the polly bushing. The bushing is the same as the ones used in the 88 rear suspension. The bottom portion is some square stock that was notched out.

------------------
11.17@132.6

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 01-13-2013).]

nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Neoice. Low 10 sec car

Throw some paint on or wire brush that intake.

1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey now that's an idea...

Do the whole build in one post so you can't let any of the 3800 trolls criticize your processes.

err, wait...
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

Neoice. Low 10 sec car

Throw some paint on or wire brush that intake.

The owner said he didn't care what it looked like. I tried to make it as simple as possible. Some powder coat and fuel rails could easily be added down the road. I hear powder coating adds 6 months to the build though.

------------------
11.17@132.6

Formula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

The owner said he didn't care what it looked like. I tried to make it as simple as possible. Some powder coat and fuel rails could easily be added down the road. I hear powder coating adds 6 months to the build though.

Actually, Nosrac should recognize that intake...
Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good so far!

------------------

Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Because I think there are only 2 or 3 members here from Pittsburgh, I should probably come out and say this is my Fiero (before people start calling Rotrex Fiero).

I bought it in this thread: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/062731.html

I must say, Justin and DH have done a terrific job so far and have always kept me up to date with progress pics. They even drove down to Pittsburgh to pick it up. That's good service!

I pretty much gave them a pile of parts and said that I didn't care if things were fancy and painted unless it adds functionality (like preventing rust). We also added more parts during the build to make it that much better. They are only around 5 months ahead of schedule right now
PFF
System Bot
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula:

Actually, Nosrac should recognize that intake...

LoL, I redneckonize quite a few parts and design que's.

It looks very good already and can go over the top with some
look good parts and hidden components.

I know It is already as fast as hell.
Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It looks very good already and can go over the top with some
look good parts and hidden components.

I know It is already as fast as hell.

That's right, the boost controller is from you too
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What size oil drain was this? It was too long and I wanted something bigger so I got the an-12. Big difference.

------------------
11.17@132.6

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 01-13-2013).]

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think AN12 I will get specs to you when i get to my computer.

I have the same one on mine located under the diff.

[This message has been edited by nosrac (edited 01-13-2013).]

mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Justin, I'm interested in hearing what you think of this setup compared to your 3800 Turbo setup with a manual. Like turbo spool, lag time, overall power, overall drive-ability...?

Either way, very nice!! Makes me want to build my own again...
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good work guys!

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo.
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project!

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

Justin, I'm interested in hearing what you think of this setup compared to your 3800 Turbo setup with a manual. Like turbo spool, lag time, overall power, overall drive-ability...?

Either way, very nice!! Makes me want to build my own again...

its a hard comparison....probably not much you can gauge between the 2.
Nebiros88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nebiros88Click Here to visit Nebiros88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Nebiros88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work.

Any shots of the oil drain with everything assembled?
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nebiros88:

Nice work.

Any shots of the oil drain with everything assembled?

It looks like I missed a few things I wanted to post. I'll have to take more picture this week.

Mattwa, It's going to be a handful unless I can talk Tom into getting some drag radials for it. That video is the only time I've driven it so far. Only gave it about 30% throttle and it was wet. First impressions were it spooled up way faster than I thought it would and it sounds awesome. Hopefully we get a stretch of warm weather soon. I'm excited to put some miles on it.

------------------
11.17@132.6

Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It looks like I missed a few things I wanted to post. I'll have to take more picture this week.

Mattwa, It's going to be a handful unless I can talk Tom into getting some drag radials for it. That video is the only time I've driven it so far. Only gave it about 30% throttle and it was wet. First impressions were it spooled up way faster than I thought it would and it sounds awesome. Hopefully we get a stretch of warm weather soon. I'm excited to put some miles on it.

I was going to buy some anyway, ill send a pm
PFF
System Bot
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Curious about the cost of parts? Getting ready to do a 3800 Swap and am considering going the Turbo route (I know nothing about Turbo's)! PM me if you do not want to "advertise" costs. Thanks in advance.

Pat

Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll send you a pm (just parts), Justin can send labor rates if he wants to

[This message has been edited by Formula (edited 01-13-2013).]

mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea I didn't expect a full answer right now, but I'm interested in what you find out between the two over time.
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
looks good! lets see some track times now!
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My bad it is 10AN.
The actual length according to ebay was 22" and I Think I have a 20" that came in their kit.
The installer said mine was too short so I purchased this one but IIRC he took the 20" hose to a custom hose shop and they modded it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-...&hash=item3a7cf31c9c
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
-4AN is the typical feed size, -10AN is the typical return size. Def nothing smaller.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Air Filter Heat Shield

http://compare.ebay.com/lik...ceItemTypes&var=sbar
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nosrac

3520 posts
Member since Jan 2005

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:

-4AN is the typical feed size, -10AN is the typical return size. Def nothing smaller.

Yeah, but the ID looks kinda small. I did purchase from a quality USA made shop. I think....
The package was never opened so I had NO idea what the ID was like. Bought it and sent to installer.
Well, I'm pretty sure that is whats on my car.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Air Filter Heat Shield

Pointless.

------------------
11.17@132.6

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Pointless.

Agreed.

------------------
there's a Group on 60degreeV6.com for us 660 Fiero owners!

Fiero Owner's group on 60degreeV6.com

I know these lines Look crooked on paper, but I swear I've got them straight in my head.

PFF
System Bot
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2013 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Pointless.

LoL.....
mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2013 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please excuse my youthful ignorance, but it kind of stumps me how the exhaust is routed on a turboed engine. Do you take the exhaust from both manifolds to spin the turbo? One side? It looks like the manifold with the flange on it still has the output for the Y- Pipe, so do just add the turbo on the manifold and let the exhaust pass through normally? I just don't get it. Please help me understand where the exhaust goes as well after its pushed through the turbine.
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2013 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

LoL.....

air moves, a heat shield won't prevent the air from getting hot and being sucked into the turbo. if it were some kind of duct to catch air from away from the turbo, maybe...
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2013 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ericjon262

3082 posts
Member since Jan 2010

Originally posted by mitchjl22:

Please excuse my youthful ignorance, but it kind of stumps me how the exhaust is routed on a turboed engine. Do you take the exhaust from both manifolds to spin the turbo? One side? It looks like the manifold with the flange on it still has the output for the Y- Pipe, so do just add the turbo on the manifold and let the exhaust pass through normally? I just don't get it. Please help me understand where the exhaust goes as well after its pushed through the turbine.

the front manifold has a crossover that joins to the rear manifold, which outputs to the turbo.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2013 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

------------------
11.17@132.6

mptighe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2013 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1988holleyformula:

Hey now that's an idea...

Do the whole build in one post so you can't let any of the 3800 trolls criticize your processes.

err, wait...

Yeah considering the resident build thread trolls are doing this thread I don't see much happening in that area.
Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2013 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes, both manifolds (there is a crossover), after the turbine it just goes into a regular exhaust.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm

[This message has been edited by Formula (edited 01-14-2013).]

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2013 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think that heat shield is a good idea. Not for the heat though. I bet that shield would keep a lot of road crap off the filter making cleanings less frequent.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2013 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The exhaust is setup very similar to the stock 3800 with the front bank dumping into the rear bank via the crossover pipe with a single exit from the rear manifold going to the turbo (with flow from both banks).
The second section of tubing entering the exhaust post turbo is from the wastegate which is mounted on the crossover pipe.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock