Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  pr0j3c1 turbo 3800 71k mile guru wheelie machine (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
pr0j3c1 turbo 3800 71k mile guru wheelie machine by Justinbart
Started on: 01-13-2013 02:55 PM
Replies: 505 (21906 views)
Last post by: Justinbart on 02-21-2015 08:58 AM
Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2013 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87antuzzi:

I know AL is better for a number of different reasons if you can hook while launching under boost but I gotta ask...Why not 2 step for some sweet ass fireballs?

You can't cut spark without cutting fuel with the 3800 pcm. You could get a stand alone ignition system. I think Jcomutt did it.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.17@132.6

IP: Logged
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2013 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ahh,that makes sense. I wonder how well a boosted 3800 would respond to MS3 with COP?
Formula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2013 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you really wanted a 2-step, you could probably make this work instead of going stand alone:

http://www.npcompleteperformance.com/wotbox

I don't think there is anything engine specific about them (they just cut power to the ignition coils)

[This message has been edited by Formula (edited 01-19-2013).]

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2013 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Something like that would be nice on my car....hmmm

------------------
11.17@132.6

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2013 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula:

If you really wanted a 2-step, you could probably make this work instead of going stand alone:

http://www.npcompleteperformance.com/wotbox

I don't think there is anything engine specific about them (they just cut power to the ignition coils)

Not that easy. Unfortunately spark is fuel and fuel is spark.... the only possible way to cut the coils off is to run a spacer under the coil packs that you can intercept the signal with.

A standalone with a KILLER spark pickup could gain a significant amount of power over 6000rpms assuming you have the heads for it as timing drift is really bad with 3800s.
Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2013 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:
Not that easy. Unfortunately spark is fuel and fuel is spark.... the only possible way to cut the coils off is to run a spacer under the coil packs that you can intercept the signal with.

Forgot about the icm. It probably wouldn't like being turned on and off rapidly.
34blazer660

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-19-2013 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 34blazer660Send a Private Message to 34blazer660Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LFiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2013 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm running the bailey two step on mine. I had some issues getting it to work with the series two ignition and had to send it back to Bob to add a opto-isolator. Not sure if it was an issue with my car or the box, but it didn't work right when i first got it. You have to use mds coil spacers to allow the power to be cut from the coils without turning off the ignition module. I haven't talked about it much due to the issues I had. Don't want to recommend something that might not work. Bob was awesome and got me squared away eventually. He also has a ignition module that allows coil near plug like LS engines and incorporates the two step. That would be awesome for high rpm use, if it would work with our crank sensors and PCM.
Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2013 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is this anti-lag that you speak of?

------------------
86 GT Convertable 3800

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2013 03:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What is this anti-lag that you speak of?

Well...

anti-lag is magic....

Originally posted by mattwa:

anti-lag is the shizz-nit
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2013 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

------------------
11.17@132.6

PFF
System Bot
Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2013 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mattwa:

anti-lag is the shizz-nit
[/QUOTE]

I googled it and all I could find for a system is a mixture of nitrous and methanol. Then something about something with controlling spark and timing to act like a stalled converter to allow the vehicle to be in boost before take off.

------------------
86 GT Convertable 3800

Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2013 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tweeder:

I googled it and all I could find for a system is a mixture of nitrous and methanol. Then something about something with controlling spark and timing to act like a stalled converter to allow the vehicle to be in boost before take off.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wik...m#Retarding_ignition

I prefer thinking its magic though...
Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2013 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wik...m#Retarding_ignition

I prefer thinking its magic though...

I read that article but I'm more of a visual person. What and how are y'all using to achieve this?

------------------
86 GT Convertable 3800

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2013 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tweeder:

I read that article but I'm more of a visual person. What and how are y'all using to achieve this?

There is a micro switch on the shifter. When you click it the timing retards.

------------------
11.17@132.6

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2013 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

There is a micro switch on the shifter. When you click it the timing retards.

I guesS its connected to an additional ignition controller? which one is preferred? If that's the case it's more like a launch control than an ALS. Which I read is quite hard on the system.

[This message has been edited by Tweeder (edited 01-20-2013).]

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2013 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You'll have to PM darkhorizon. It's all in the pcm tune.

------------------
11.17@132.6

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2013 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You'll have to PM darkhorizon. It's all in the pcm tune.

K thanks

------------------
86 GT Convertable 3800

mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2013 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Quote from DH in a previous thread. But -49 degrees? Justin said (and showed) -14 is too much already.

...Antilag is easy. Just toss a switch inline with the air temp sensor so that it unplugs when you press a switch (the safer way is to have it "plug in" when you hit the switch, but you cant watch IATs). When it plugs or unplugs, command -49 degrees of timing in the air temp spark table... Just dont press the button without your foot on the pedal at least 30%. The switch has to be manhandled at all times so I mounted mine on my shifter.. press to lag, release to go, so I could use it in any gear, any speed... You could wire it to your brake switch as well if you wanted to make launching it a bit less reliant on your skill to pop your finger off the button when you lift the brakes.
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2013 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that's pretty clever.
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2013 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

Quote from DH in a previous thread. But -49 degrees? Justin said (and showed) -14 is too much already.
[QUOTE]
...Antilag is easy. Just toss a switch inline with the air temp sensor so that it unplugs when you press a switch (the safer way is to have it "plug in" when you hit the switch, but you cant watch IATs). When it plugs or unplugs, command -49 degree
s of timing in the air temp spark table... Just dont press the button without :your foot on the pedal at least 30%. The switch has to be manhandled at all times so I mounted mine on my shifter.. press to lag, release to go, so I could use it in any gear, any speed... You could wire it to your brake switch as well if you wanted to make launching it a bit less reliant on your skill to pop your finger off the button when you lift the brakes.

:
It is conflicting information like this which makes me uneasy about
the best way how to implement without destroying my engine or turbo.

[This message has been edited by nosrac (edited 01-20-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2013 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
butsigh... you guys just dont read. I said COMMAND -49 degrees, which just removes all of the commanded advance and the actual timing is just going to be whatever you set your min timing to.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2013 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

darkhorizon

12279 posts
Member since Jan 2006
-14 wasnt too much, it is just that -6 was proper for this setup.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2013 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool, good to know when I build mine.
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2013 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

butsigh... you guys just dont read. I said COMMAND -49 degrees, which just removes all of the commanded advance and the actual timing is just going to be whatever you set your min timing to.

Ok, i hear ya but it's still a little confusing for us noobs.

I know how to remove the advance using the air temp table but I was thinking more like -20 * actual an NOT -6*.

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2013 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You can't cut spark without cutting fuel with the 3800 pcm. You could get a stand alone ignition system. I think Jcomutt did it.

I run an AEM system on mine, and I've ditched the 3800 coil packs for 6 individual LS style coils and little short vette plug wires.
rcp builders

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2013 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rcp buildersSend a Private Message to rcp buildersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

1. What size cross-over do the 3800's use, 2 1/2"?
2. Would there be a difference in how the turbo spooled or responded in any way if the exhaust feeds were the same lenght?
3. I see alot of the turboed V8's on the other sites with singles, always try to have even feeds to the turbo, is that for looks only?
Thanks Ray
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2013 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Idk. This goes against every turbo book out there.

------------------
11.17@132.6

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2013 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My thoughts are that, once under boost, the entire exhaust system before the turbo is under the same pressure regardless of length.
KurtAKX

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2013 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...timing drift is really bad with 3800s.

Try living with a distributor!
revin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2013 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
4 pages and NO WHEELIES?!?!??!?!?!?!

slackers
PFF
System Bot
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2013 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

4 pages and NO WHEELIES?!?!??!?!?!?!

slackers

I think we got the wrong drag radials. When it gets warmer out i'm going to have to do a massive burn out just to give it a chance. Ain't nobody got time fo dat.

I need to find out what superchargedV6 used for tires.

Originally posted by SuperchargedV6:
Normal was about 6 inches high but once I got it to go over a foot and bounce pretty good on the let down. I miss that 3800 SC. Rick B

------------------
11.17@132.6

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 01-23-2013).]

Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2013 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I need to find out what superchargedV6 used for tires.

Originally posted by RumbleB:

The tires that were on that car were pretty much like a drag tire to begin with. They were a BF Goodrich tire that really stuck to the pavement. This is how Rick's car was able to pop a wheelie.

bfgoodrich ftw! Looking at the pictures they look like they are all seasons too
revin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2013 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sounds like over inflated front tires ( ie. bounce)
KurtAKX

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2013 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

Sounds like over inflated front tires ( ie. bounce)

Something about "a guy followed me down the street to tell me I was wheeling" definitely sounds over-inflated.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2013 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

From my phone with the torque app, I wouldn't trust this too much. I spun in first pretty good. Not bad for 15psi and a little rich, high 10's afr. I did another run but I must have let off too soon because the numbers were all wrong.
------------------
11.17@132.6

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 01-31-2013).]

Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2013 07:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

From my phone with the torque app, I wouldn't trust this too much. I spun in first pretty good. Not bad for 15psi and a little rich, high 10's afr. I did another run but I must have let off too soon because the numbers were all wrong.

Did you get the bluetooth adapter for torque?
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2013 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes.

------------------
11.17@132.6

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2013 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
350hp is weak
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2013 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

350hp is weak

lol, yea. It said 390 on another run but I let off before the 1/8th and it said 0-60 in 10 seconds.

------------------
11.17@132.6

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock