Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  pr0j3c1 turbo 3800 71k mile guru wheelie machine (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
pr0j3c1 turbo 3800 71k mile guru wheelie machine by Justinbart
Started on: 01-13-2013 02:55 PM
Replies: 505 (21937 views)
Last post by: Justinbart on 02-21-2015 08:58 AM
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2013 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tweeder:

Looks like you ran the curb at that point, the camera shifted.

which vid? I didn't notice it.
IP: Logged
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2013 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

Is it still doing it after the mini tuning session we had? I though it was driving better but I don't think the tune completely fixed the issue.
I know you were throwing trans errors but I am NOT sure what was causing them. I'm sure I can figure it out IF I can play around with the various settings and see how they respond.

I was referring to when my swap first was put on the road. The issue u worked on got much better after the tuning seccion. I think the little issues I have now is non tuning. Parked the Fiero when I picked up the GTP until I can pull motor for a refresh.

Tweeder

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2013 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ericjon262:

which vid? I didn't notice it.

The last one.

------------------
86 GT Convertable 3800

[This message has been edited by Tweeder (edited 01-18-2013).]

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2013 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I assume the TCC settings. Do you have higher line pressure on cruise tables?

Is it still doing it after the mini tuning session we had? I though it was driving better but I don't think the tune completely fixed the issue.
I know you were throwing trans errors but I am NOT sure what was causing them. I'm sure I can figure it out IF I can play around with the various settings and see how they respond.

Scott said it's all stock...

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.17@132.6

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2013 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is really making me want a turbocharged 3800...
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2013 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMaster88:

This is really making me want a turbocharged 3800...

Same here, but at least I got a good start to work with...
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2013 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

Scott said it's all stock...

Change them to 2004 GTP settings.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2013 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Scott says there is no line pressure or cruise table
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2013 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

Same here, but at least I got a good start to work with...

Yes and I have a pace car I could do an engine swap in...

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo.
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project!

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2013 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All better

------------------
11.17@132.6

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2013 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

All better

What was the fix?
PFF
System Bot
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2013 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What was the fix?

Pushing Scott to do something. You'll have to ask him what all he changed. It's great now. It can easily be putted around town without even knowing it has a high stall. It seems to have really good street manners now.

------------------
11.17@132.6

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2013 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

What was the fix?
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2013 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is the anti-lag difference. As soon as it start making boost it pushes the front tires. It dead nuts at 3500 rpm when it pushes the tires. Keep in mind it was around 28*f out. After this video Scott changed it from -14* timing advance to -6* timing advance and it responded a lot better. At -14 is bogged the engine down quite a bit.

Did a little run. Windows up with the full exhaust. I waited a second before punching it to save the tires from spinning. It made my stomach hurt a little. This thing may actually do wheelies at the track.

I'm thinking about ditching the boost controller for now. I don't like how the boost is moving around so much.
------------------
11.17@132.6

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 01-18-2013).]

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2013 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here is the anti-lag difference. As soon as it start making boost it pushes the front tires. It dead nuts at 3500 rpm when it pushes the tires. Keep in mind it was around 28*f out. After this video Scott changed it from -14* timing advance to -6* timing advance and it responded a lot better. At -14 is bogged the engine down quite a bit.

Thanks, + 1 4 U
I really appreciate the Video.....I guess I HAVE TO run Anti-lag....as that $h!T was awesome.
So the Stall Spec is accurate as hell...

I'm thinking about ditching the boost controller for now. I don't like how the boost is moving around so much.

The controller is suppose to help NOT hurt. What Spring is in the gate?

[This message has been edited by nosrac (edited 01-18-2013).]

Formula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2013 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I really appreciate the Video.....I guess I HAVE TO run Anti-lag....as that $h!T was awesome.

I think the anti-lag is magic....
Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2013 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Formula

5339 posts
Member since Jul 99

Did a little run. Windows up with the full exhaust. I waited a second before punching it to save the tires from spinning. It made my stomach hurt a little. This thing may actually do wheelies at the track.

Is it actually pushing the front tires, or just over powering the brakes? The brakes on it are new, but not much of an upgrade over stock (fierostore big front brakes, new rear brakes, big bore master, dual diaphragm booster, and all new lines and hoses, sadly it has the "good" brake pads that need to be heated up to work well).

[This message has been edited by Formula (edited 01-18-2013).]

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2013 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The brakes feel really good. The front tiers are locked and it's just skidding forward. It doesn't matter with anti lag.

------------------
11.17@132.6

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2013 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the fiero brakes are horrid for trying to spool turbos.. the balance is front heavy and not much pressure stays in the rear for any length of time.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2013 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How much more boost are you going to put to it? I saw 15psi.

I really want to use my cosmetic gaskets to push the PSI envelope but....I think the stockers can take 19psi without issue.... Maybe 20

However, Since I have CNC heads then 19PSI may be all I need to take over on the 1/4 list...

Hell, Formula may be the first 3800 Fiero to run a 9.
mptighe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2013 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

the fiero brakes are horrid for trying to spool turbos.. the balance is front heavy and not much pressure stays in the rear for any length of time.

I get that it comes down to cfm, and that bigger turbo = more cfm, but if it's mainly a track car, why not use a slightly smaller turbo that may not have as much flow but will spool quicker? Will it not make a difference after a certain point?

Also, why did you repurpose your ST2? Are you going with something else?
PFF
System Bot
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2013 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Formulas goal was at least 11's. LOL

------------------
11.17@132.6

mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2013 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Formulas goal was at least 11's. LOL

Question, how much HP would you say gets lost through a manual in your car? I know you guys aren't big on dynos but if you made 550 WHP what level would you say your BHP would be at? Just curious about my own numbers.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2013 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How much more boost are you going to put to it? I saw 15psi.

I really want to use my cosmetic gaskets to push the PSI envelope but....I think the stockers can take 19psi without issue.... Maybe 20

However, Since I have CNC heads then 19PSI may be all I need to take over on the 1/4 list...

If you have the heads off, why wouldn't you put MLS gaskets back on if you have them? I picked up some used ones this week for next time...

------------------
11.17@132.6

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2013 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Justinbart

3259 posts
Member since Sep 2009

Originally posted by mptighe:

Question, how much HP would you say gets lost through a manual in your car? I know you guys aren't big on dynos but if you made 550 WHP what level would you say your BHP would be at? Just curious about my own numbers.

Who cares.

------------------
11.17@132.6

Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2013 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I would put my bet on dh
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2013 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If you have the heads off, why wouldn't you put MLS gaskets back on if you have them? I picked up some used ones this week for next time...

Why would they seal the second time if they didn't the first. Installer used copper RTV?
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2013 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Why would they seal the second time if they didn't the first. Installer used copper RTV?

Use 2 cans of copper spray and spray multiple coats on each side of each layer of metal on each gasket. Do it in a well ventilated area...it's good stuff.

------------------
11.17@132.6

mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2013 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Who cares.

Pretty much what I expected.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2013 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mptighe:

I get that it comes down to cfm, and that bigger turbo = more cfm, but if it's mainly a track car, why not use a slightly smaller turbo that may not have as much flow but will spool quicker? Will it not make a difference after a certain point?

Also, why did you repurpose your ST2? Are you going with something else?

I want to run 8s.
mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2013 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I want to run 8s.

I assume you'll need significant changes in other areas in order to get the power to the ground? You going past "daily driver" levels with the car now? Good luck on the 8's.
PFF
System Bot
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2013 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Use 2 cans of copper spray and spray multiple coats on each side of each layer of metal on each gasket. Do it in a well ventilated area...it's good stuff.

i am curious why you guys use copper spray when Cometic says not to (and they are specific about not using copper spray)?
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2013 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:

i am curious why you guys use copper spray when Cometic says not to (and they are specific about not using copper spray)?

Because they don't seal properly...

When installing MLS head gaskets, Cometic does not recommend the use of any type of sealants. However we have had very good success using Permatex® Copper Spray-A-Gasket Sealant with these gaskets.

^ ^ ^
From ZZP and Intense sites

[This message has been edited by nosrac (edited 01-19-2013).]

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2013 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the "no copper spray" is recommended on aluminum heads.
Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2013 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

the "no copper spray" is recommended on aluminum heads.

What about stock heads, is it ok for added assurance?

------------------
86 GT Convertable 3800

mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2013 02:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Holy crap those videos are awesome, anti-lag is the shizz-nit. I'm so building one of these.
Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2013 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL this cracks me up man. I mean I KNOW DH and company are kind of smart asses and always annoy many on here with their comments. The funny thing is that these guys are ALSO the only ones who routinely post REAL videos of Fiero's with built 3800 turbo engines in them hauling major ass and working properly. It is even more impressive when you realize that these guys are apparently just a bunch of kids.... My hat's off to you guys you may not know how to make an engine bay look all that pretty (pretty is a relative term here, to me pretty is something that WORKS no matter how much paint or polish it has) but you sure as hell know how to make a fiero GO!!! That boost setup is really cool and watching the video it almost looks like it has some kinda line lock or something and then it is GONE..... that should be a really quick car. What do you figure the max boost to be on that monster? Peace

Pete

------------------
"May the grins begin when you turn the key and hear the engine roar over your shoulder" ......Gall57 (slightly modified LOL)

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2013 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe 18psi. I don't know. It may be safe now while it's bellow freezing out and not safe when it's 90*+. Hopefully we get some warm weather before formula want's it back.

------------------
11.17@132.6

Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2013 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Maybe 18psi. I don't know. It may be safe now while it's bellow freezing out and not safe when it's 90*+. Hopefully we get some warm weather before formula want's it back.

I'm not in any rush. I wouldn't mind you guys testing it out when it's warmer anyway to make sure the axles and everything hold up running at the track
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2013 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know AL is better for a number of different reasons if you can hook while launching under boost but I gotta ask...Why not 2 step for some sweet ass fireballs?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock