Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  pr0j3c1 turbo 3800 71k mile guru wheelie machine (Page 11)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
pr0j3c1 turbo 3800 71k mile guru wheelie machine by Justinbart
Started on: 01-13-2013 02:55 PM
Replies: 505 (21942 views)
Last post by: Justinbart on 02-21-2015 08:58 AM
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2013 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It will feel slow soon enough, lol. I was always confused when I didnt feel like it was accelerating on 16psi... 23 did a bit better at scaring me, probably picked up 80whp.
IP: Logged
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2013 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still on 16psi ?
Formula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2013 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yeah, I haven't messed with it much. I did get torque up and running on it though. This weekend I want to put the loud exhaust on and turn up the boost.
Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2013 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put the dump pipe on and messed with the boost controller a little bit. It is right at 21psi now. I only got to run it through 1st and part of 2nd so its hard to tell how much power it picked up. My butt dyno isn't very accurate because it always seems like quieter cars are faster when the drag strip and dyno say otherwise. The idle sounds pretty good with the dump pipe, it sounds a bit like a tractor when your actually driving though lol.
lildevil

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2013 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thats why i have a electric cut out on mine....can you put one on your set up?
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2013 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am going to use an exhaust silencer and just remove whenever I feel the need for moar speed.

Mine isn't too loud but I want it a lil' quieter for cruising around the neighborhood.
Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2013 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My parents took some video at the flashlight drags, they didn't turn out very well because the sun was so bright they couldn't see the screen on the camera (only half of them are even viewable).

Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2013 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Oh my goodness he is going to kill himself"

It sounds like a jet taking off from a distance.

Get rid of that -supercharged- sticker!

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.17@132.6

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 05-12-2013).]

Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2013 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

"Oh my goodness he is going to kill himself"

That would be my mom, lol
Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2013 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Formula

5339 posts
Member since Jul 99

Idle with the dump pipe. It started raining before I could take it out again. Maybe next weekend.
Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2013 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Formula

5339 posts
Member since Jul 99

Get rid of that -supercharged- sticker!

I'm waiting for it to warm up some, it's on there pretty good.
PFF
System Bot
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2013 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula:

I'm waiting for it to warm up some, it's on there pretty good.

I don't know if you noticed but I had some masking tape covering the 'super' and wrote "turbo" on it when I was at the track.

------------------
11.17@132.6

Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2013 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't know if you noticed but I had some masking tape covering the 'super' and wrote "turbo" on it when I was at the track.

I might have to do that. Everybody kept saying it was supercharged while looking at the motor...
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2013 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just found similar event next Saturday about an hour and half from me but there is also a car show meet and greet that day that I like to go to. hmmm...

------------------
11.17@132.6

Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2013 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I just found similar event next Saturday about an hour and half from me but there is also a car show meet and greet that day that I like to go to. hmmm...

They are a blast, I actually like them more than the real drag strip. I think because it's not timed people have more fun with it.
Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2013 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Formula

5339 posts
Member since Jul 99

I took it around the block, but because it rained a few hours ago anytime it would get into boost it would spin the tires.
NoMoreRicers

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2013 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

Still on 16psi ?

Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2013 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I put the dump pipe on and messed with the boost controller a little bit. It is right at 21psi now. I only got to run it through 1st and part of 2nd so its hard to tell how much power it picked up. My butt dyno isn't very accurate because it always seems like quieter cars are faster when the drag strip and dyno say otherwise. The idle sounds pretty good with the dump pipe, it sounds a bit like a tractor when your actually driving though lol.

Originally posted by NoMoreRicers:

I'm running around 19 now, at 21 it was spinning through first gear on the street. 19 seems like a pretty good spot for it.
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2013 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Meh, I say disconnect the wg and see what they spark will hold. Once it blows out, back it down a psi or 2 and you're all set.
Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2013 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took it to the track tonight, but it was really windy so they made it 1/8th mile. On 18psi with the dump pipe it ran a 7.18@101.8mph. That was launching off the converter and it did spin some when the turbo spooled. I think the track was still a little moist from the rain we had yesterday. I was pretty happy with the mph.

edit: corrected time after looking at time slips

[This message has been edited by Formula (edited 05-25-2013).]

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2013 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I took it to the track tonight, but it was really windy so they made it 1/8th mile. On 18psi with the dump pipe it ran a 7.1@102mph. That was launching off the converter and it did spin some when the turbo spooled. I think the track was still a little moist from the rain we had yesterday. I was pretty happy with the mph.

Nice,what was your 60' ?

Why U not using the ALS?
PFF
System Bot
Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2013 07:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

Nice,what was your 60' ?

Why U not using the ALS?

It would have just spun, here was my first run (7.22@102). I didn't get the other ones on video.

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2013 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you post the slip? It looks like its moving quite a bit better on the big end. Too bad they didn't have the full 1/4 running. Did you do a burnout?
Who says 3800 's sound bad!?
------------------
11.17@132.6

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 05-25-2013).]

Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2013 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know what I did with the slip from the pass with the sti, here is the other run:

60' 1.88
330' 4.78
1/8 7.18
1/8mph 101.8

Just a small burnout to get the water off. Next time I go if it's 1/4 i'll do a bigger burnout. I didn't drop the tire pressure either, it was disappointing that they dropped it to 1/8th lol.
Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2013 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Formula

5339 posts
Member since Jul 99

Who says 3800 's sound bad!?

I actually got a ton of compliments on how it sounded going down the track. I really like the idle with the dump pipe. It's a little bit choppy and really deep.

I have my gopro videos uploading, they should be done in a few years.

Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2013 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Formula

5339 posts
Member since Jul 99

LFiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2013 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good. Makes me want to drive mine. Can't wait to see some full passes from yours with the new converter.

------------------
10.263 @ 134.44MPH - 1.49 60'
Billet 6262 Precision turbo, PT1001 intercooler, ST1 cam, 130lb springs, comp pushrods, HV3, ARP Rod bolts, otherwise stock L36.

Old M90 XP Cam time -
11.425 @115.60
1.543 60'

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2013 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LFiero67:

Looks good. Makes me want to drive mine. Can't wait to see some full passes from yours with the new converter.

X4....to all of what he (LFiero67) said to you (Formula) but it applies to me (Nosrac) too.

I'm really happy that JB and DH hooked you up very nicely. It turned out great. Way to represent the 3800 + Fiero.

Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2013 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

X4....to all of what he (LFiero67) said to you (Formula) but it applies to me (Nosrac) too.

I'm really happy that JB and DH hooked you up very nicely. It turned out great. Way to represent the 3800 + Fiero.

Its unbelievable how good of a job they did. It's definitely making Fieros popular up here.
Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2013 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hot lapped it about 10 times and melted the plastic part of the shift cable lol (I read thats a common problem with the 3800sc swaps). I'll order a wcf one to replace it. Came in 2nd place (1/8th mile not timed) behind a pretty much straight drag car that claimed it was a street car. It didn't do too bad, there were probably 30-40 10/11/12 second cars in the tournament. I should get the videos next week.
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2013 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice!
PFF
System Bot
1fast2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2013 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I hot lapped it about 10 times and melted the plastic part of the shift cable lol (I read thats a common problem with the 3800sc swaps). I'll order a wcf one to replace it. Came in 2nd place (1/8th mile not timed) behind a pretty much straight drag car that claimed it was a street car. It didn't do too bad, there were probably 30-40 10/11/12 second cars in the tournament. I should get the videos next week.

I melted mine this weekend to. are you going to have to replace the entire cable or just the end. I'm on my way to the shop now to figgure out if I can fabricate some kind of all metal end for the shift cable, and then maybe drill a hole in the shift arm and use a nut & bolt to attach it. we shal see.

------------------
1986 SE 3800SC/4t65eHD (12.871@104.96)
1985 GT 3800SC (swap in progress)

Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2013 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saw Rodney Dickman has a fix for it. Im going to email him and see what he thinks before I replace the whole thing.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2013 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im dang impressed you were able to get it hot enough to melt that.. Mine sits right on the exhaust and it has only given me minor issues if I dont slam it down on the peg right.

The trick is going to be replacing the "peg" on the shift arm with a hole that you can run a bolt through, as well as probably welding on a hunk of metal with a hole to the shift cable.

The old janky shift adapter that was on that swap orginally was a turd (was very hard to shift, and it didnt let you feel out the clicks between gears), and I would for sure just convert the current setup to an all metal setup if you can manage it easily enough. Any shop in town there would probably weld a chunk onto the shaft for you, and you could prepare the arm with a grinder and any drillmotor.
1fast2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2013 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I never got around to fooling with mine today, mine only melted because I wanted to do a longer burnout at the track without shifting into 2nd, so I popped it all the way down to L or 1st, did my burn out and made my pass and noticed my shifter wasn't working, when I parked I checked it out the end only had gotten hot and made the plastic soft and I guess there was a upward force that pulled the plastic up off the pin. It was fine until I drove home, at some point it popped back up and just layed on the X-over pipe. It's done now just a melted nubbin on a stock Fiero shift cable.

If there was an all metal solution all would be well.

------------------
1986 SE 3800SC/4t65eHD (12.871@104.96)
1985 GT 3800SC (swap in progress)

Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2013 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney suggested something similar to dh except threading on a metal helm end instead of welding on a piece of metal. I kind of like threading it as I could do that while is in the car. He also said to replace the ball with a bolt.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2013 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was worried about how close it came doing the shiftier that way. I put some heat shielding tape around the shift cable. Was that still there?

------------------
11.17@132.6

Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2013 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
About a square inch of it. I don't think anything would have protected it, it was hot enough that you could feel the heat standing next to it. I'm going to avoid hot lapping it so much in the future.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2013 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where you scanning trans temps, knock, etc?

------------------
11.17@132.6

Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2013 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Knock, it wasn't showing anything. I wonder if 1/8th isn't enough load on the motor. I should add trans temps, it cost as much as the car...

I still haven't ran the car more than 105mph, but it's a blast getting there.

[This message has been edited by Formula (edited 06-10-2013).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock