Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Katatak's Next Big Fiero Adventure! (Page 5)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Katatak's Next Big Fiero Adventure! by katatak
Started on: 05-03-2012 11:43 PM
Replies: 242 (7142 views)
Last post by: katatak on 07-15-2014 11:03 PM
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2013 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Page 5 Ownage!

More work completed today! Laid out another fiberglass door panel. Cut a "template" door panel out of some 1/4 inch ply. and finished fabbing the internal door pieces for the left door. Hope to get all the metal work on the left door done tomorrow - then on to the right side. Been soaking all the cradle bolts in PB for several days now. Plan to drop the cradle/motor/trans next weekend - Start vacation on the 22nd for 2 weeks. My plan is to get the car completely stripped down and get the roof off of it while on vacation. Can't wait to spend everyday tinkering on the Fiero.

Door Panel template

Fiberglass door panel blanks!

Laying out the panels with the template

Fabbing the last inner door piece.

Love these dimple dies!

A few bends in the Brake

Some "pre" fit!

And some fitting in the door!

Now just double it for the right side!

More later!

Pat

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 11-16-2013).]

IP: Logged
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2013 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A little more done today!

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2013 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some more tinkering on the driver door accomplished. Re made the top plate - went to Speedway in Lincoln this AM and brought back some cool sheet metal tools.

Started working on the end filler

And my new set of Cleco fastners!

More later!

Pat
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2013 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's been a long time since I checked in on this thread... too long. It's looking really good Pat. I'm anxious to see how the plan inside your head materializes into something we can see too. Are any of those lightening holes going to be visible in the end design? (They give it the old hot rod look, you know, the ones with drilled I beam axles and windshield headers?) You've got to figure out some use for those punch dies that will show, even if it's only under the decklid.
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2013 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pat, I know that the window track is removed in these shots, but which way is the easier way to remove the two bolts from the lower door hinge. Threw the interior side of the door, or from the door skin side of the door?
-Joe
DonP

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2013 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DonPClick Here to visit DonP's HomePageSend a Private Message to DonPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

And my new set of Cleco fastners!
Pat

Got that right. Clecos are invaluable when working with panels. Got my first batch in, oh.. 1998. Ouch.

Don
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2013 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

It's been a long time since I checked in on this thread... too long. It's looking really good Pat. I'm anxious to see how the plan inside your head materializes into something we can see too. Are any of those lightening holes going to be visible in the end design? (They give it the old hot rod look, you know, the ones with drilled I beam axles and windshield headers?) You've got to figure out some use for those punch dies that will show, even if it's only under the decklid.

That's part of the problem Blooz - it's all in my head - and I keep changing my mind! All of the dimple die holes will be visible - the door will be "inset" as I plan on a side bar to the cage that will bump out slightly to accommodate my "width". That "old school" roadster look is what I'm going for. I've always wanted to build a Track "T" but after trying a few out to see how I would fit, it was apparent that I would have to do major car body mods to make it work. I changed my focus to a Factory Five - Cobra - again, I don't fit - even in a stretched / widened version. So I went back to the old Fiero - this will be my version of that old school Track T / Cobra / track car with an aviation flare.......... if that makes sense?

Thanks for checking in!

Pat
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2013 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

katatak

7136 posts
Member since Apr 2008

Originally posted by josef644:

Pat, I know that the window track is removed in these shots, but which way is the easier way to remove the two bolts from the lower door hinge. Threw the interior side of the door, or from the door skin side of the door?
-Joe

I'll take a closer look today Joe - I'll get some pics but I'm thinking with all the window tracks in place, it's probably easier from the outside? I'll post some pics this evening.
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2013 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

katatak

7136 posts
Member since Apr 2008

Originally posted by DonP:

Got that right. Clecos are invaluable when working with panels. Got my first batch in, oh.. 1998. Ouch.

Don

I seem to be gathering more and more cool tools these days. tube bender, tube notcher, Clecos, dimple dies, plasma cutter, cardboard templates (best / cheapest tool ever)....etc. After 35 years of building cars, I'm finally figuring out that car building is a lot easier with the right tools. I think Speedway is going to become my favorite hot rod vendor - at least for this build as they seem to have everything I'll need to complete this one. I think I'm having more fun gathering the tools and working through the fab issues than actually "finishing" the car. My wife keeps asking me what I'm going to do when I finish this one - that's simple - build another one...... . I find myself looking for the next project already. It's got to be some kind of sickness!
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2013 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL...love reading your thread! Now when can I bring my Indy out for a 3800SC swap???
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2013 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

LOL...love reading your thread! Now when can I bring my Indy out for a 3800SC swap???

Anytime John...... But it might take a while! I'm not as motivated as I use to be! My original plan was to be driving this thing by now. I'll probably have Archie do the LS setup - I'm getting lazy (and I can't get off the concrete floor very well anymore!)
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2013 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I seem to be gathering more and more cool tools these days. I'm finally figuring out that car building is a lot easier with the right tools.

I think Speedway is going to become my favorite hot rod vendor - at least for this build as they seem to have everything I'll need to complete this one.

I think I'm having more fun gathering the tools and working through the fab issues than actually "finishing" the car.

I couldn't agree more to those statements!

Keep up the good work!
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2013 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

I couldn't agree more to those statements!

Keep up the good work!

Thanks Guru - words to live by!
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2013 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I had an idea about the inside door release - not sure I like it but I have not given up on it just yet. Plan is / was to use a bicycle brake handle @ cable to attach to the Fiero door latch mech. Incorporate that into a internal "pull" handle for closing the door! Still on the fence with this one!

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2013 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

katatak

7136 posts
Member since Apr 2008
Starting to tie up lose ends and start on some finish work for the Driver's door. Had to fab some "end" caps for the top of the door plate. I'm not a good welder - especially when working with sheet metal! It's a good thing they make all kinds of grinding goodies so I can smooth out my sorry welds. I'm thinking I should change over to gas and .025 wire for a cleaner sheet metal weld? Maybe when I do the other door?

The hole to fill:

My new favorite - cheap tool - the Cardboard template:

Cut out the sheet metal and make a small bend:

Add a "handle" for fit up:

Weld it in and butter it up:

Then do the same for the other end!

More later!

Pat
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pat did you get a chance to look at the bottom door hinge bolts? From the inside or outside?
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Pat did you get a chance to look at the bottom door hinge bolts? From the inside or outside?

Sorry Joe!

Definitely from the outside!

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great. Thanks
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2013 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Went to the Pick & Pull today. Scored! Thanks to "AL68" for the tip. First Fiero had the Driver side seat but the tracks were gone. Second Fiero had the Driver side seat and - bonus - was not bolted done - yanked the seat out, flipped it over - perfect set of no rust seat tracks! Also found a perfect left front fender for my ZR2 Blazer - was needing a fender and fender flare - been looking on line and was not having much luck. I actually bought one off of EBay and when it arrived, it looked like it was used as a tire chalk for the UPS truck that delivered it! This one tuned out great - gave me a chance to "learn" how to pull the fender - got it off in about 20 minutes and was way easier than I expected. This was my first trip to a pick & pull since I left Texas. It was exactly what I needed. When I got home, my wife asked me "How was Church?" Amen Sister!

Did a little "roof removal" work yesterday. Here's some pics for you Joe!

Driver side windshield

Passenger side windshield

Got the rear roof panel off

And some random roof pics for reference.

More later!

Pat

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2013 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe one shot of a T Top glass upside down? Lots of rivets there !!!!!
-Joe

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 12-04-2013).]

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2013 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tinkered some more today! Man, 3 days in a row working on my Fiero! Got to love it!. Spent most the day today prepping to remove the cradle. Was worried about rusted cradle bolts. Been soaking them in PB for several weeks now. The rear bolts came out pretty easy and the nuts came off the front bolts real easy. I can spin the left side forward bolt so it will pop out but the passenger side may be a problem. I've soaked it all day in PB and will put some heat and the air hammer to it tomorrow - worse case will be the cutting disc! All that's left is the trans lines and the passenger side bolt and the boat anchor will be out!

With my limited sheet metal experience and sheet metal welding experience, my big hurdle this week was to get the outer edge of the top panel on the door welded. My original plan was a "flange" that would fit over the edge of the door frame and sit behind the piece of metal that the door skin hangs on. I drilled several 3/16" holes in the "flange" and my intention was to "spot" weld it in place. What I figured out through trial and error was that there was no way I would be able to get to the holes to make the welds. Now what? I was watching an episode of Overhaulin and they were cutting the spot welds to remove a panel. I ran down to the Auto parts store and picked up a spot weld cutter - cut the spot welds on the piece that the door skin hangs on and then was able to make the welds - at this point, I trimmed the flange off and just seam welded the entire length to the door frame. Turned out way better than I expected. Just another reason to get the right tools to the job! I have spent a lot of time on the Driver side door but I have learned a lot and will make the passenger side go way faster.

Outer door panel strip removed:

Top plate welded in:

Door panel strip welded back in place:

With the door panel installed:

And when I was trying to break the axle nuts loose - my 3/4' to 1/2" impact adapter decided to let go - I was laying on it pretty good when she went snap and I nearly did a flip - good thing I was fairly close to the floor when she let loose - could have been a serious face plant into the concrete!

More later!

Pat

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 12-04-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2013 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I looked up your weather forcast a few days ago. It was supposed to get down to -1* that night. We have had one night that had a low of 33* a few days ago. I went out and checked the mail last nite wearing flip flops and shorts.

Stay warm.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 12-11-2013).]

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2013 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I looked up your weather forcast a few days ago. It was supposed to get down to -1* that night. We have had one night that had a low of 33* a few days ago. I went out and checked the mail last nite wearing flip flops and shorts.

Stay warm.

The flip flops and shorts comment was not nice! It's been too cold to even think about going to the garage. I spent the last 3 days of vaca wrapped up in a blanket in the living room/ We had a Hi of 29 degrees today - that was at 12:30 in the morning by 8:00 this am it was 3 degrees and windy! This sucks!
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2014 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still too cold for work in the garage - was just out there and it was 9 degrees inside. Here's some pics requested by Joe.

B Pillar Bracket -

B Pillar Filler -
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2014 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Still too cold for work in the garage - was just out there and it was 9 degrees inside.

Wuss.
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2014 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wuss.

You have to give Pat a break. He lived here in "Hell Paso" for quite a few years. His blood is still thin.

That being said, it in the 40's here with a wind chill making it feel much colder.......Brrrrrrrrrrr
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2014 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wuss.

You are 100% correct Blooz - I'm a wuss - but a warm wuss!
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2014 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

katatak

7136 posts
Member since Apr 2008

Originally posted by Rick 88:

You have to give Pat a break. He lived here in "Hell Paso" for quite a few years. His blood is still thin.

That being said, it in the 40's here with a wind chill making it feel much colder.......Brrrrrrrrrrr

OMG - 40 degrees in Hell Paso? I guess hell can freeze over....J/K Rick. I miss working in my garage in El Paso - wearing shorts - drinking Ice Tea in February! In a few months, I'll be whining about the heat and humidity. I can't win!
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2014 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
26 on my back porch.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2014 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool metalwork man.
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2014 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Cool metalwork man.

Thanks! It's a work in progress - real slow progress.

PFF
System Bot
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2014 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

OMG - 40 degrees in Hell Paso? I guess hell can freeze over....J/K Rick. I miss working in my garage in El Paso - wearing shorts - drinking Ice Tea in February! In a few months, I'll be whining about the heat and humidity. I can't win!

Humidity? I am not familiar with that word. The Fiero project looks to be coming along nicely. Even without me there cracking the whip. Somebody had to do it or else you guys would be on permanent "Union Break". Maybe you could convince you employer you need to keep an eye on El Paso operations from time to time......
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Went to Harbor Freight and picked up a welding cart. Spent some time cleaning the garage - I had tools spread out all over the place. Dodgerunner stopped by to pick up a 87 nose and dropped off a door skin. It's time to go in and get warm - watch the game and pig out on game day snacks!

Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pat tried to sell me on the fact he had not done metal work before. You can tell by the pictures it's a quality job.
If not experience then it's all talent, patience and "just do it" attitude.

Great to meet a fellow Fiero "nut"

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2014 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dodgerunner:

Pat tried to sell me on the fact he had not done metal work before. You can tell by the pictures it's a quality job.
If not experience then it's all talent, patience and "just do it" attitude.

Great to meet a fellow Fiero "nut"

Thanks Dodge! It was great to finally put a face to the name. I think I told you that I went through a lot of sheet metal to get what's done to the point it sits today! Hopefully through all the mistakes (I prefer learning opportunities), the rest of it will go a little quicker.

If the weather would break and warm up about 30 degrees, I could really dig in and get busy.

More later!

P
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Warmed up some today so I thought I'd get out in the garage and drop the motor. Both front cradle bolts are rusted tight. Started the process of cutting the bolts. I was just about done with the driver side and was leaning back to slide back under the car - caught the back of my head on wheel stud. Was out cold for a few minutes! Got a nice bump and gash on my head! Fiero 1 - Pat 0! Round two tomorrow.
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ouch!!!!!!
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fiero 1 - Pat 1.

Got the motor out today. I bought some high dollar reciprocating metal blades for my Sawzall - burned up 5 of them on one bolt and never did get through it. Got out the hot wrench and melted them off. Motor is out! Tomorrow I will remove the roof!

Getting setup to drop.

Booyah!

More later!

Pat

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2014 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here ya go Joe!

Roof is off. Just need to separate the T Top piece from the B pillars and remove the reinforcement piece from the windshield frame. That black goo is terrible stuff. Got to get the windshield trim off and I'm afraid I will destroy t getting it off. It appears that when they installed the T Top, they used plenty - plus of the goo and it's stuck pretty good. Looks like a lot of work just cleaning it up.

More later!

P
355Fiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2014 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Katatak;

Looking good. I was going to recommend you go through the frame reinforcing before you cut the roof off but I see that is a bit late....

When you start your reinforcing, take LOTS of measurements in the door jambs and cross corner in the cockpit area. I had a few issues with my convertible back in the day when I was doing the reinforcing. I ended up with a slightly off cockpit on the passenger side to begin with and had to fix it. Support the rear frame behind the strut towers on each side with some sort of jacking devices and adjust the gaps and cross cockpit with those.

Good luck and have fun
Don
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay