Started on: 04-15-2011 11:35 PM
Replies: 476 (14457 views)
Last post by: mattwa on 07-28-2013 01:26 PM
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I left them on the car and painted them, covering everything else with newspaper and painters masking tape.

Edit: Page 7 ownage, woo! Take that Raydar!

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 07-20-2011).]

IP: Logged
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey... at least you didn't quote yourself like I did.

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Installed a new air filter today, hopefully fixed the oil pressure sender's ground issue, and did some more painting! It does make my 4.9 look "better". I admit while its a solid swap and thing are routed semi-nicely, it's still filthy and and not "pretty". It's driven almost daily so I just didn't bother.
It's now so shiny I had to take a close-up to get the detail or else it just washes out!

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 07-24-2011).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2011 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 07-24-2011).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2011 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mattwa

7106 posts
Member since Sep 2008
Here is what I did today. I sanded down the IMSA spoiler and got it all smoothed out, and attached it to the decklid by drilling holes for the studs.

VikingRedBaron

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2011 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VikingRedBaronSend a Private Message to VikingRedBaronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is gonna looks SWEET on that Gold car !!!

Can`t wait to see it.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2011 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by VikingRedBaron:

That is gonna looks SWEET on that Gold car !!!

Can`t wait to see it.

Yes it is! For sure will not be done by Frazee but that's ok, still looks good as it is.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 07-21-2011).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2011 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not good news today. I went to a performance shop to get an alignment done, and they said they could not do it for the following reasons:
Loose passenger lower front ball joint
Front sway bar bracket not fastened properly (knew this already, nothing I can really do about it I don't think, one side of the bracket is down from the frame about 1/4" at most),
Both rear wheel bearings are worn/loose, you could move the whole assembly up and down 1/8" or so.
Rear coil-over springs need to be held to the plate/strut more securely, as they are able to move and are off-center somewhat on the strut.(knew this already, too. I know I gotta fix it, it's just a matter of how)

So I didn't get an alignment, and they didn't charge me anything. Very nice shop and staff, they know what they are doing and are very friendly. So I went home, and tightened the axle nuts, as they were loose somewhat. Hopefully that took care of that.

What concerns me is the bad ball joint so they say. I jacked up that wheel, and it didn't move up or down, but I could move it side to side, but that was turning the steering wheel and the other wheel. Exact same thing with the other side. My front wheels when my steering wheel is straight are toed out. When I drive it, there is some on center slop, but it's not a "disconnected" feeling like our dodge Dakota has.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2011 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mattwa

7106 posts
Member since Sep 2008
Just took it out for a short drive on the highway since I haven't done that since the 88 cradle was installed. Drives pretty good, steering wheel shakes a little bit at 70MPH but not nearly as much as it did to Carsile. Besides that it was good. 70MPH at 1700RPM's, yea!

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 07-23-2011).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2011 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today I jacked up the back of the Fiero to give things I have been having issues with in the past a check up. All looks good, and the rear wheels no longer have any play in them that I could notice by eye or feel. Tightening the axle nuts did the trick in this case. After words I did some more work on the decklid project, I inserted some rubber plugs in most of the holes for now, need some more or I can just a nut and bolt. Some RTV/sealant will be good until I get a full paint-job done on the whole car. Also bought gloss black and gloss clear paint for $9 (still not the cheap stuff, they had a sale going on. The cheap stuff is 97 cents a can.)
VikingRedBaron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2011 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VikingRedBaronSend a Private Message to VikingRedBaronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

I inserted some rubber plugs in most of the holes for now, need some more or I can just a nut and bolt. Some RTV/sealant will be good until I get a full paint-job done on the whole car.

Keep the RTV away from the paint if you plan on repainting it.

The point of contact where the RTV touches the paint is where the new paint will flake off.
PFF
System Bot
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2011 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Keep the RTV away from the paint if you plan on repainting it.

The point of contact where the RTV touches the paint is where the new paint will flake off.

Ok, thanks for the warning. I'll just do it on the underside then.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2011 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Fiero got an average of 30 MPG today with traveling 450 miles. Not changing that final drive ratio now. Lol.

Picture at the hotel in Beloit, WI.
fierofury

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2011 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofurySend a Private Message to fierofuryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What size tires are you running? Looks good.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2011 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
205/60/15 front, 255/60/15 rear.
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2011 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Go, Matt, go!!! Car's looking good, and apparently running good too, except that it's overheating, I think...
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2011 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The car looks good! That's a lot better mileage than I got with my 4.9 behind the Isuzu.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2011 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh my gosh, was it overheating! I got really stressed when it hit 160F, almost had a panic attack when the fan kicked on...
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2011 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mattwa

7106 posts
Member since Sep 2008

Originally posted by FieroMaster88:

The car looks good! That's a lot better mileage than I got with my 4.9 behind the Isuzu.

Ha! Most people pick the Isuzu for good MPG on the highway, and not as high final drive ratio, BUT, I got better mileage AND a stronger transmission.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 07-27-2011).]

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2011 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, now I have a Getrag and a 4 cylinder, lol. Still looking for another car to put my 4.9 into.
Ridgelandbaseball

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2011 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RidgelandbaseballSend a Private Message to RidgelandbaseballEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hulki U. My-BFF:

Go, Matt, go!!! Car's looking good, and apparently running good too, except that it's overheating, I think...

Andy, you had me thinking Matt's car really overheated! Then he told me and I remembered the Carlisle incident
PFF
System Bot
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2011 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Fiero and I won a trophy at the Frazee Car Show today! It was really a great surprise.

Reallybig

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2011 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What was the trophy for? If it won the category "goldest fiero at the show", I wouldn't be surprised. I'm not sure if that is a category though...so don't kill us with the suspense! We need to know! 4.9 install looks great by the way!
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2011 02:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh, it was one of the voter's choice awards.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2011 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

My Fiero got an average of 30 MPG today with traveling 450 miles. Not changing that final drive ratio now. Lol.

Picture at the hotel in Beloit, WI.

That's really great mileage.
I don't believe that there is any other route to a swap that will give 275 ft lbs of torque, 30 hwy mpg and can be done for under $2000. The only thing that I'd like to see is a way to improve the 4.9L looks and I'm thinking about that. .
BTW, did you retain the EGR function and all the emissions stuff? Scrapping the EGR might decrease mileage but I'm not sure of the effect..

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2011 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Made it back home from the Frazee trip in one piece! Very tired, but we did it. Took some pictures before we left our Perham hotel, and when we got home.

Hotel:

2000 miles later, she is back home.

There is a few things I need to address, like the starter suffers from heat soak on a long trip, at least I think that's the issue, so I'm thinking about getting either a new starter and/or a heat blanket for it. Also, there is heat pouring into the center console area from the bent metal around the engine harness plug thing, so I think I need to seal it better or add a vent to the center console someplace.

N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2011 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tire shine my friend! It works wonders and will really make your car look great.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2011 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I know, but I'm not going to apply that when I was going to be driving 2000 miles, I had much more to worry about. I should do it now though.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2011 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mattwa

7106 posts
Member since Sep 2008
Here are some pictures of my Fiero from Frazee weekend!

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 08-03-2011).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2011 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Removed some things that I didn't want from my 4.9 today, I'm started the process to make it look less "cluttered".

Next is fuel lines. After that...I would like to do something with the air intake, but we will see.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 08-03-2011).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2011 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I checked my fuel pressure today and I got a solid 25 PSI at idle, not good. Maybe that's why I got such good MPG, LOL! So it's either a clogged filter or the pump. I'm changing the filter first.

After that, I removed the ugly, not even purposeful fog lights I had in the front bumper, and re-wired the switch to turn on the Radiator fan at will! I also re-installed the wiring jumper that gives constant power to the window motors.
PFF
System Bot
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2011 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mattwa

7106 posts
Member since Sep 2008
No luck getting the fuel filter off, everything is too rusty. The fitting seems to be seized to the line, and I was actually twisting the line. The return line looks pretty rusty too. Guess this is my chance to totally re-do the fuel lines like I wanted too. But chances are that it's my fuel pump since it was vibrating real bad earlier, then for some reason stopped?
VikingRedBaron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2011 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VikingRedBaronSend a Private Message to VikingRedBaronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What does your car use for a fuel pressure regulator?

I am guessing fuel pump may be bad, as it made noise, but the pressure only rises with restriction, and thats the regulators job.

Gotta love rust !!!
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2011 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What does your car use for a fuel pressure regulator?

I am guessing fuel pump may be bad, as it made noise, but the pressure only rises with restriction, and thats the regulators job.

Gotta love rust !!!

It's the stock 4.9 regulator. I already changed the pump with a new AC Delco one 2-3 years ago, so I don't know what happened.
Yes, I LOVE RUST! Not. There isn't much left of my floor pan drain plugs, either.
VikingRedBaron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2011 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VikingRedBaronSend a Private Message to VikingRedBaronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its the stock regulator, but is it any good?

Does the fuel pressure hold when you shut the key off, or drop to zero?

If it drops, its junk. If memory serves me well, the fuel pump for the Fiero and the 4.9 would be the same one, and the pressure would be there.

Check the regulator, thats where I am betting my money.

Oh and low pressure is not why you got the good MPG. You got that cause you lucked out and put all the correct parts for the formula together !!!

Congratulations !!!
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2011 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Its the stock regulator, but is it any good?

Does the fuel pressure hold when you shut the key off, or drop to zero?

If it drops, its junk. If memory serves me well, the fuel pump for the Fiero and the 4.9 would be the same one, and the pressure would be there.

Check the regulator, thats where I am betting my money.

Oh and low pressure is not why you got the good MPG. You got that cause you lucked out and put all the correct parts for the formula together !!!

Congratulations !!!

Nope, i turn off the key and it stays at 25PSI for a while before slowly dropping. Nothing abnormal there.
VikingRedBaron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2011 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VikingRedBaronSend a Private Message to VikingRedBaronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any way you can get another gauge to check and see if yours is skewed?

It happens.

What does it have for pressure while running?
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2011 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Matt you have a PM.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2011 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Any way you can get another gauge to check and see if yours is skewed?

It happens.

What does it have for pressure while running?

Yea i'll look into that, I know it won't hurt.

Same pressure while running.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2011 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mattwa

7106 posts
Member since Sep 2008
So I re-checked my fuel pressure, and I might have been reading it wrong or didn't have it fully installed correctly because it now I read it 35 PSI key on, engine off, 32 PSI engine on. If I read correctly that's what Raydar is running as well, so I think it's OK, considering part of fuel lines (that is getting replaced very soon mind you) is a rubber hose, that might cause lower pressure?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 12 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock