Started on: 04-15-2011 11:35 PM
Replies: 476 (14457 views)
Last post by: mattwa on 07-28-2013 01:26 PM
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2012 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84se2m4:

I didnt know you could cut the hats from the rotors so easily. I figured you would have needed a lathe. Will this work for the grandam front brake swap as well?

When I did my Grand Am brake swap, the hubs themselves had to be reduced in diameter to fit inside the Grand Am rotor, so this method more then likely wouldn't work. But otherwise I have seen others do something like it without issues, and I see no problems doing it this way. Much cheaper. Of course if I had a Lathe then I would be doing it that way, but I don't...yet.

Page 12 ownage!

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 05-02-2012).]

IP: Logged
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2012 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Capt Fiero:
As for the power, I have driven and rode in other 4.9's with the Auto and found it to be nearly gutless compared to my 5spd 4.9 there is just something about grabbing gears in a V8 that makes me almost giddy. As for miles per gallon, even with the 3.61 5spd I still get close to 30mpg. I would hope that with a 2.73 auto you should be able to get into the mid 30's on the highway.

I feel the same way about mine, with the 5 speed as compared to the automatic. And mine had 2.97s (or there-abouts.)
Since I bumped up my timing, I've gained about 2 MPG, but it's still not stellar. Got ~20 MPG, commuting. Mostly expressway, but some stop and go.
Before that, I got 17-18.

Matt, if we ever end up at the same event, I'll let you drive mine. You'll be amazed at the difference. And let me know how your timing change affects... things.

David, Good luck with your "milkshake". Hope it's something simple.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2012 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Raydar, I appreciate the offer. I bumped it up 2-4 degrees and noted no difference with anything that I could tell after a somewhat short test drive. And i'm still using regular gas.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 05-04-2012).]

deanearl

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2012 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deanearlSend a Private Message to deanearlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mattwa...your scaring me man! I am putting together the parts for my 4.9 conversion in my 88 auto. Plan on doing the 4T60E with 3.33 diff and 35/35 sprockets. I don't need a quarter mile car but just a fun daily driver that isn't a pooch. I hope I don't go through this work and end up not liking it.

Originally posted by mattwa:

Raydar, I appreciate the offer. I bumped it up 2-4 degrees and noted no difference with anything that I could tell after a somewhat short test drive. And i'm still using regular gas.

But I'm not sure what transmission I would use if I did swap over to manual. Now to some that statement may be a shock considering I'm such a promoter of the F23, but the gearing of the 3.94 F23 is wrong wrong wrong for the 4.9. It's kinda pushing it on an 3800 as it is, so NO way would I mate those two together. But anything else would be either very costly (F40, or combining two F23's) or not strong enough (IMO). I have an Isuzu sitting in my garage, but I'd stay with the automatic before using that thing.

Though honestly If I were to go though all that trouble I'm not sure I'd stay with the 4.9 anyway. At the moment I'm really not into swapping this car back over to manual AGAIN. This Fiero was auto, then manual swap, then back to auto for the 4.9. Ugh.

[This message has been edited by deanearl (edited 05-02-2012).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2012 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by deanearl:

Mattwa...your scaring me man! I am putting together the parts for my 4.9 conversion in my 88 auto. Plan on doing the 4T60E with 3.33 diff and 35/35 sprockets. I don't need a quarter mile car but just a fun daily driver that isn't a pooch. I hope I don't go through this work and end up not liking it.

I'm sure it'll be alot more fun with the 3.33 final drive, from what I have heard its a big difference compared to my 2.73, so don't let me change your view on things.

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2012 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today I installed my front Corvette brakes! I had the Grand Am brakes on all 4 corners but that changed when I swapped to an 88 cradle, so for a while my brakes kinda sucked. Hopefully not anymore!

Removing Grand Am brakes

Grand Am hubs (cut to fit the rotors, that's why I made another set of hubs before hand.

Removing ugly rusted stock bracket..so happy to be getting rid of these things. 3 out of the 4 bolts didn't give me trouble, that 4th and final one did. But I got them all out.

New hubs with longer studs and the brackets bmwguru has made. You can also see in this picture that I cut down the stock rotor dust shield.

Corvette rotor and 88 front caliper on!

Other side done next.

88 master cylinder installed, looks so much better then my cast iron rusty Blazer Master cylinder.

Both front wheels re-installed...and also a comparison to the stock 88 caliper/rotor. Looks so tiny now! I plan on doing the rear later, when I actually have money.

I bled the front brakes, but I haven't bled the rears yet. Even so, I went up and down the driveway a few times, and it does stop ok, both front brakes are working, but not great yet. Plan to bleed rears soon.

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2012 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mattwa

7106 posts
Member since Sep 2008
I bled the rear brakes, and took it for a test drive. The brakes are pretty good now! Very different feel compared to the old setup, but it feels more balanced, at least all 4 calipers are now getting the amount of pressure they should be. Now to get a set of Corvette rotors for the rear and brackets/rings for it.

I think I decided to leave it as an auto, at least for a while. I took it for a test drive like I said, and I still very much enjoy it. I think the only thing I'll do, and even this might be a while, is change the final drive ratio in the 4T60e to 3.33. This decision also came from the fact that I drove the 3800/F23 to the alignment shop today with alot of traffic and red lights..it kinda sucked! The high gearing hates that.

VikingRedBaron

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2012 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VikingRedBaronSend a Private Message to VikingRedBaronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good Matt !!!

Is this car coming to the Dells for the final inspection?
I have yet to see this car in person.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2012 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by VikingRedBaron:

Looks good Matt !!!

Is this car coming to the Dells for the final inspection?
I have yet to see this car in person.

No sorry, no dells for me. I know you haven't seen this car yet, I feel bad about it still. You are more then welcome to visit our Fiero land here in Ohio!
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2012 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed Goldie's new auto-dimming mirror with compass and now temperature! Everything is wired up, just waiting for a new outside air temp sensor, my current one is broken in half. My old one without temperature went into Skye today as well. Brakes are still great, lots better then Skye's.

Also, I took these pictures today of our Fieros (this was taken before Skye and My dad's 86GT were washed)

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 05-05-2012).]

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2012 02:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lookin' good man!
PFF
System Bot
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2012 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Last few days I have been hearing a clunk from the front end, i thought a ball joint was going bad, but it turned out one of my Corvette adapter brackets loosened, tightened it up and all is good.

I have been working on a relatively big project for Goldie in the past few days, should be finished tomorrow, stay tuned.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 05-09-2012).]

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2012 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had issues with caliper bolts backing out on the 88. A little locktite and all is good. Might not be a bad idea if you continue to have the bolts on the brake swap loosen up on you.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2012 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMaster88:

I've had issues with caliper bolts backing out on the 88. A little locktite and all is good. Might not be a bad idea if you continue to have the bolts on the brake swap loosen up on you.

It wasn't those bolts, it was the bolts holding the aluminum bracket to the knuckle. But thanks for the info, I'll keep that in mind! If they loosen again I will put locktite on them.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2012 04:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know many guys will cringe at this, but I put red locktite on everything from flywheel bolts, pressure plate bolts to brake parts. Anything that I can get to with my air ratchet or impact gun to remove.

I drive my car harder than most, so I don't want to have to deal with bolts coming loose.

Side, Note O/T

This Saturday is another club meeting. I have not yet torn into the 4.9 to see why it milkshaked the oil, but I am going to fire it up, and drive it to the meeting to see if the milk shake comes back. I have not decided if I am going to increase the Nitrous jet size or not. I figure if I jet it up to 125hp shot and I don't see water blowing out the side of a head I am good. This frustration of not knowing exactly what the problem is, is driving me bonkers. Another side note, we bought a 2000 GTP yesterday to use as a daily driver. So I am learning about 3800's now too.

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2012 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I got my "big" project done this morning. I wish it would have turned out better (the paint) but it was a learning experience for sure. I filled the luggage rack holes and sanded it down, then used spray on primer, gloss black paint, and a clear coat. I'm not a body or paint guy, that's where my skills end. Just wanted to experience some bodywork myself. Still, It's worth it for the DGP spoiler. I'll have someone else fix it whenever I get the whole car painted, and it will most likely be body color.

At least the pictures hide most of it...

Edit: I forgot to add that I got my outside air temp sensor in the mail today, and it works!!! YAY I was so happy to have a working outside temp reading!!

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 05-24-2012).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2012 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mattwa

7106 posts
Member since Sep 2008
Can't forget the picture with the decklid removed!

I wish it was all clean like my 3800 swap, but it's difficult to make a 4.9 look "clean" without going to extremes. That and I kinda threw this swap in, I took alot more time with the 3800/F23 swap focusing on appearance and a "clean" swap...It worked, the engine bay in that Fiero looks almost empty..LOL.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 05-10-2012).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2012 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Going on a road trip with Goldie this weekend!

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 05-20-2012).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2012 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Came back from a weekend road-trip with Goldie, I visited my sister, and got an average of 30MPG! Pretty happy with that. Now if only the city mileage was better...I'm getting around 17MPG city.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2012 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed an S10/Blazer brake booster today, and it definitive improves the brakes! They are great now, no problems stopping Goldie with the heavier rims and 4.9/4t60e.

A little sad thing too note, after I installed the booster, during which you have to hammer in a section of the frame for it to fit, I found a rather large pile of rust on the ground under that spot.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 05-21-2012).]

VikingRedBaron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2012 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VikingRedBaronSend a Private Message to VikingRedBaronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I installed an S10/Blazer brake booster today, and it definitive improves the brakes! They are great now, no problems stopping Goldie with the heavier rims and 4.9/4t60e.

A little sad thing too note, after I installed the booster, during which you have to hammer in a section of the frame for it to fit, I found a rather large pile of rust on the ground under that spot.

Next time you have to hammer on stuff, park off the concrete driveway
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2012 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That's not normal?
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2012 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

That's not normal?

Around here it's normal, but the two other Fiero's in our driveway are 99.9% rust free. Not even a spot of rust, I'm quite jealous about it. Goldie wasn't so lucky.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2012 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed/wired in a 4-wire heated O2 sensor from a Northstar (pull a part) and went for a drive. It didn't make much a difference that I could notice, I just hope it's not worse off. I keep all the old stuff in the trunk just in case.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2012 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mattwa

7106 posts
Member since Sep 2008
Goldie really likes a garage space.

1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2012 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome work on the DGP spoiler! From the pictures, looks like you did a pretty decent job on the paint.

I like how Goldie has taken on its black and gold theme.

With the black extractor vents on your hood, ground effects trim, rub strip, and the black decklid vents, I think a black spoiler would really pop with a gold decklid.

Just .02 from someone who is always impressed by your work and motivation.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2012 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1988holleyformula:

Awesome work on the DGP spoiler! From the pictures, looks like you did a pretty decent job on the paint.

I like how Goldie has taken on its black and gold theme.

With the black extractor vents on your hood, ground effects trim, rub strip, and the black decklid vents, I think a black spoiler would really pop with a gold decklid.

Just .02 from someone who is always impressed by your work and motivation.

Thanks for the suggestion and compliments, but I don't think I'd like that. I just can't see it. However, there is a chance that whenever I am ready ( and can afford) a paint job, I will pick another color altogether. I'm considering GM sunburst orange metallic.

And alot of my work has been focused on the 3800/F23 for the past 6-7 months, but I put a good amount of time in for Goldie too so far this year.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 05-24-2012).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2012 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Goldie got two new door strikers today, as well as the other two Fieros. Total of six new strikers, which are HELP! striker bolts for a FORD #38421. Just need to remove the plastic collar on the inside.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2012 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Snapped this picture yesterday. Stupid front bumper. :/

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 05-31-2012).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2012 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, since life has changed for me alot since I posted here, I'm putting Goldie away in Storage...because I just can't sell her...I have too much into Goldie. For how long, I don't know, but it's not really going to be a short amount of time...

Last picture for a while.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2012 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Things are going to happen in 2013, I'm pretty sure of that.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 11-04-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2013 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well after many many months of sleeping, I brought Goldie out of storage today to move her into my newly purchased house. //www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/091257.html#p0

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 09-24-2013).]

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2013 07:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks great!

You need some clutter in there! Hop to it!

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2013 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I decided to install the rear Corvette rotors and hardware I had for a while.

After that, I went for another test drive, and the brakes do seem to stop better! But what is more noticeable is how much more balanced the braking feels. With Corvette rotors in the front and stock in the rear, it obviously felt front heavy while braking, and I actually locked the front tires a few times because of it. Not anymore!

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After months of debate, I decided I'm moving on to a better power-train (again), so today I pulled the 4.9/4T60e and it has been sold.

NoMoreRicers

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does that mean you are finally gonna slap that Holset on a 3800?
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 07-29-2017).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 12 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock