Thread Closed  Topic Closed
  Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Trinten's SBC/F23 build - The work has begun! (Page 1)

Printable Version

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
This thread has been moved here: The Construction Zone.
Trinten's SBC/F23 build - The work has begun! by Trinten
Started on: 08-17-2009 10:48 PM
Replies: 237 (7932 views)
Last post by: Trinten on 11-18-2013 11:08 PM
Trinten

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2009 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi guys,

So in Mooresville, Scott over at LKN Speed Shop is taking care of the engine build, and in the meantime, Jeff over at Vixen Cycles in Charlotte is working on tearing apart the rear end of my car, dropping my current engine, cleaning up the bay, and starting the process of taking care any rust and then coating the frame! (obviously they do more than just motorcycle stuff!)

Maybe overkill, but this way I'll never need to worry about it rusting. He's also going to be replacing the bushings with the poly stuff (some of them he's fitting with grease fittings).

In the process of the tear down, he apparently found a tiny crab under the trunk carpet (the car was in California at one point near the sea... but still weird! lol), and I guess to tear down the rear of the GT requires some interior disassembly, and my headliner is in worse shape than I thought it was, so he suggested replacing that. :/

So, here's pictures so far!

http://rides.webshots.com/album/574171694NnsSGd

And then once Scott is done with the engine and I get all the pics from that, I'll put that up along with dyno sheets and any other fun stuff!

On a side note, until I get things fixed/ready with the 6 speed transmission, I was thinking about trying to replicate the girdle that at least one person used on his 4 speed muncie. I've only found one thread with pictures of it, and not a whole lot of details... does anyone know where to find enough details so a duplicate of it could be made?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2009 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The engine is finally complete and going through heat cycles and break in!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbSJ8JPnfkE

Should have the dyno numbers next week, and have it back in the Fiero in the next few weeks!

MooCow

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2009 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MooCowSend a Private Message to MooCowEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very cool. I'm sure you can't wait to drive her again. I am actually just down the road from Jeff at Vixen. Might have to stop by and take a look

Ken~
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2009 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Ken!

Yeah, it's been a long four months man. But hey, things happen. I just feel bad that I might be out of town when they put everything back together. I really wanted to be there.

Ah well. I'll need to get ahold of Jeff in some shape, way, or form and see about hammering out the last few little things on my to-do list, like the exhaust and changing the transmission fluid - going to put in some of Red Lines high shock absorbing stuff to try to help the muncie along for now, though I'm going to be sure to baby it and/or work on that girdle until the five-speed is done (And eventually the six speed...). lol
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2010 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well the engine is done with the dyno! His dynostand isn't the super nice computerized ones that we're used to, it's a bit "old fashioned" and when he was explaining it to me (and from what I've seen), alot of it went over my head (it's got gauges and some mechanical controls... pretty much the only thing electircal is the parts that run the ignition controls). The reason why I'm posting all that so the cut-and-paste from his email below will make sense. (and yes, I realize trying to fully utilize the power is next to impossible. For now.)

---email---
Are you sitting down?.................
She put down 455hp @6500 and 447ft-lb @5000!!!!
.....and thats not adding in the 20-30 that my dyno has always 'hidden'- these numbers are what came up on the box!!
Man, even "I" didnt expect to see numbers over 420 or so, considering the relatively small 700cfm holley I used, and our basic 'street' intake manifold........ In 'real world' numbers- you have yourself an honest 475hp/460tq 355 smallblock, and ill bet with a good efi setup and a good tune, you could be inching up on 500hp!!
Needless to say, i am probably as excited as you are LOL!!!!!
This made my new years eve, and hopefully yours too!
Thanks again, and Ill get ahold of ya when I get back in the shop monday!
-Scott
--end email--

YAY!
So when I get the Fiero back on the street I'll find a dyno to roll it to and see what it does and get a dyno chart!
Dracor

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2010 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DracorSend a Private Message to DracorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice! That thing oughta move pretty good when its all done.

------------------
'84 3800SC, XP cam, 3.2 pully, HPTuners, N* TB, 4sp, SPEC 3+ clutch, Aluminium flywheel, pacesetter headers, F355 body kit, weight reduction

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2010 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting what a good 'ol Holley carb will do The 700 cfm may be about right for the motor. The bigger carb will go more to top end but the smaller one will give more low/mid torque. I'd run it a while before I'd swap it.

Arn

------------------

Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2010 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the comments guys!

Yeah, Scott wanted to dyno it with a 750, but he didn't have one in his shop, so he borrowed a 700 off one of his cars, lol. Mine is only a 650. I don't think I'm going to worry about upgrading the carb, just saving up to do an EFI swap, using the FIRST tpi intake/runners and stuff from eficonnection.com.

What's left on my list after this (in order of importance to me) is:
brake upgrade
efi and nitrous
transmission(s) upgrade(s)

And then appearance stuff. Better hood venting, Roberts 355 noseclip and F355 interior swap (sorry, his PFF name escapes me at the moment)... and then trying to find out if there's anyway to fit the Autoloc 120 degree doors (preferably the motorized ones). If it's a matter of the things not fitting between the panel and the frame, I might try commission Robert to work up new panels for the front quarters and doors to give it extra room, and then hope the rear quarter scoop panels (still deciding on style) let the new lines flow correctly.

Lastly a paint job and wheels.
Ultimately hope to have it all done by 2012 - sooner if I get out from under my house first! (damn thing has been on the market since July and only 5 people looked at it).

Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2010 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New clutch and pressure plate ordered!

This seems to be one of those topics that people are fairly passionate about, filled with a wide range of personal experiences. As some members can attest to, I've been reading all the threads I could find on clutch preference, and sending PMs to quite a few people asking for more input. Thanks to all who were kind enough to take the time to get back to me with that information!

At the end of the day, with the funds I have to work with at the moment, I decided to give Clutchnet a shot (Though I was *severely* disappointed with the person I spoke to when I called - enough that I send an email to them about it).

Another member on here has their six puck sprung hub unit for his V8, and said the engagement was great. Others have said similiar things. So I got that along with the 2x pressure plate (which is what the guy who answered the phone finally suggested after initially trying to get me to go to Centerforce).

My old clutch and pressure plate wasn't in terrible shape, but it was beat up a bit, so I'll hang on to it in case of an emergency.

Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2010 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Big compliments to Oleg, the man who owns Clutchnet. He got my email and (after a few days of phone tag), we finally connected. He apologized that "Everytime you called, you either got the answering machine or talked to someone stupid." seriously, that's exactly what he said. So he was very sincere in apologizing for the discussion I had with one of his employees, and wanted to get more details on the Fiero to make absolutely sure I had ordered the right thing. Once I explained that the flywheel was designed to allow the SBC to hook up to the trans using practically any Fiero clutch and pressure plate.

So he confirmed my transmission, year and sub-model of my car, and said he'd get the order fulfilled right away!

Overall, very impressed that he took the time to call me directly and apologize and say that he would try to make sure the employee was handled.
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2010 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My clutchnet clutch and pressure plate came in this week! Jeff is about done with another big project he was working on ( a custom turbo), so he says he'll be able to turn full attention to the Fiero soon.

In the meantime, here's some pics of the clutch/PP

http://rides.webshots.com/a...1694NnsSGd?start=120
PFF
System Bot
Darth88Formula

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2010 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth88FormulaClick Here to visit Darth88Formula's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth88FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good! I'm also in the Charlotte area, Mooresville actually. Nice to see a local car getting some work done!
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2010 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fear my totally amateur fiberglass/goopy-stuff-skills! http://community.webshots.c...61340093744752GsPXoO

lol. I know there are guys on here that could run circles around me with fiberglass, and have done a WAY better job than I did in MUCH LESS time, but it's my first attempt, and once it's painted, the vents should look factory, instead of obviously being an add on from the "lip" of the vents sitting on top of the hood.

For those curious - I used my dremel to cut/groove out the top layer of the hood material, so the vents (snuggly) dropped in and rested on the bottom layer. It wasn't flush, so I used an angle bit to grind down the top-layer-edges, giving it a gradient, and then started with the fibergoopy stuff, and then used the glazing stuff.

There are still some small imperfections that you can feel, but I think I've reached the limit of my ability, so I'm going to try to convince Joe at Vixen Cycle to do the "finish work" for me before he paints it.

And there's also other pics up there - the engine on the cradle, the test fit, etc.

http://rides.webshots.com/p...61340093744752GsPXoO

It did require having the decklid hinges modified due to the tall valve covers, and they're going to have to gut out a bit more of the trunk to fit my Mezzeire electric water pump in (it's longer than my old electric water pump). We were talking about using fittings to mount it vertically, but I had concerns about vapor lock or other complications.

Feedback/suggestions welcome!
Fierfly

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2010 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierflySend a Private Message to FierflyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you know we are about to do a swap in mine?
He broke it in January; spun a bearing. Replacing the bearings wasn't enough.
We picked up a 3400 in Winston last week and will get started after Cowspatoot comes back from Daytona. We will be starting a build thread.
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2010 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet! Good luck on the swap! I called CP last week, haven't heard back from him - dunno if he got a new number or something.

Looking forward to the thread!
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2010 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth88Formula:

Looking good! I'm also in the Charlotte area, Mooresville actually.

I'm in Charlotte too! Nice to know there is another one of us around here. Don't happen to have a red or white 88 GT? I've seen each of them driving around with this warm weather lately.

------------------
--1984 3800 Turbo / 5speed
--518hp on a Dyno-dynamics
--11.8 @ 128mph

Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2010 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, Jeff at Vixen had given me a 5/1/10 deadline for his end of the work (which was everything but the girdle and exhaust), but some things came up and he couldn't make it. I talked to him last Sunday and he asked for another 30 days, I said okay. The car is looking good though!

His business partner Joe got the hood painted... so now it's STARK white in contrast to the rest of my sun/dirt dulled car. They were like "Oh **** , now he's going to want us to paint the whole car!" lol. I told them no, that was waaay later after the exterior mods are done. But with Joe cleaning up my amateur fiberglass/bondo of the vents and painting it, it looks stock.

Jeff has almost all of the body panels back on, he has the new headliner in (though he has to pull out one of the A-pillar plastic pieces and reseat it), and has finished the rest of the mods to the engine bay so the engine will fit and the valve covers will have plenty of clearance in all directions (I hope). So he's now got to re-coat the newly cut metal areas with POR 15.

I'll keep you posted! In the meantime I need to bust out the dremel and start modifying the decklid for the clearance I'll need, since the new intake makes the top of the air cleaner sit 1/4 inch higher. Hmm.

MooCow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2010 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MooCowSend a Private Message to MooCowEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I actually saw your car last month when I was there picking mine up. I had Jeff put in a new fuel pump for me. The engine is very nice, and HUGE! I am sure you can't wait to drive it.

Ken~
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2010 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, maybe if they have another party this July over there... I'll be able to pick it up then. lol
blacksaleen95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blacksaleen95Send a Private Message to blacksaleen95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Trinten:

I'll keep you posted! In the meantime I need to bust out the dremel and start modifying the decklid for the clearance I'll need, since the new intake makes the top of the air cleaner sit 1/4 inch higher. Hmm.

Are you already running a drop base cleaner assembly? If not, and you can fit it, you'll gain some clearance that you need without cutting.

http://www.summitracing.com.../KNN-08984/?rtype=10

Also, you'll want to check the cfm rating on the filter you're using, it's most likely a 14". Back in my carb'd days (ford 351w) using a stock style filter and lid did not provide enough airflow for the engine. You may want to calculate how many CFM that engine will consume (355 is pretty healthy), or maybe ask LKN as I'm sure he'll know off the top of his head.I ended up getting the K/N xtreme Lid to help aid with the airflow and it helped quite a bit. When using those you want to try to keep a 1/2 min to the decklid.

EFI would fix all these problems

[This message has been edited by blacksaleen95 (edited 06-10-2010).]

Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jeff had sent me a link to one, but I don't know what my clearances are between the carb and the distributor, and I have no idea how well they flow.

I see you edited your post! lol, I'll check out the link and more info you gave... and probably edit my post again. hehe

[This message has been edited by Trinten (edited 06-10-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
blacksaleen95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blacksaleen95Send a Private Message to blacksaleen95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The clearance to the dist is something that will have to be checked, but you should still be able to get a bit of room with the drop base. Not knowing what you have for a current base setup, as well as carb/intake, it's tough to say off the top of my head. The drop bases are made more for the Holley style carbs vs q-jet/carter/edelbrock. Unfortunately if the base does contact the dist, and you need some clearance and don't want to cut the decklid, if you've got an MSD distributor, you can probably pickup their smaller cap setup and that will get you some room for the base, but it's also more money you're spending..

Here's some lids... I'm guessing you'll end up with a 14" dia as the 16 will probably hit the dist. http://www.summitracing.com...Plates/?autoview=SKU

Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, here's the distributor the engine has now-

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-850001-1/

Scott (LKN) said - for a carb setup, I'd want to get a 700 CFM flowing intake and carburetor. The carb that is on there now - if I remember right, is a Holley 650 cfm, I don't remember the exact model. Jeff suggested this - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPE-98499/

And yes, going to EFI is on the list. I found a place that will make the MAF-type wiring harness for me, very nice quality from what I can see, for 290. The big expense is the intake manifold I want to get, which runs around a grand, but it'll flow well enough to support the engine!
blacksaleen95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blacksaleen95Send a Private Message to blacksaleen95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, Not sure where my head was at before... lol..

Discussing the issue with Jncomutt and he informed me you can't use the traditional style round cleaners because it will hit the pass side rail, my apologies for the misdirection.

The current option is the 7" or the triangle, which both wouldn't come close to flowing well enough for that 355.

I wouldn't put anything spectre on anything I owned, overpriced junk imo.

Some options would be to get a forced induction style bonnet for the carb that is connected to a fabricated air box or tube that would allow the use of an off the shelf k/n rectangular or conical filter. Similar to the spectre idea, but exponentially better quality and will function better.

Efi will fix this jk

What intake are you looking at for 1k?!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-29785/ , 60# injectors, OBD2 computer & MAF, 4barrel tb, lsx coils and you don't have to change your air intake setup you're about to have made, and you have a FI setup that will suit whatever needs you may have.

Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the intake I'm looking at using -

http://www.firstfuelinjection.com/

It's basically the TPI setup on steroids, the internal diameter of the runners is way larger than the stock TPI (I think even bigger than the SLP runners...), and can be honed out even further if necessary.

I want to do the coil near plug setup, though with the tall valve covers I had to use I'm not sure where/how I'll be able to mount the coils, so that might be off the table. That place does have a full blown package, too, they call it their "retro fit" package for just a little under 2k.. but I didn't want to get into the specs with them over the phone until I was at that stage and had cash in hand.

I was looking at some of the triangle air cleaners (that's what I currently have now, but it's got this terribly thick foam filter), the plan was to cut out the notch in the decklid so it would clear and put a rear-facing scoop of some kind on there. But again, missing some measurements to get that done. I'll probably be out there again before it's ready to be picked up and be able to take those measurements and get that ordered.
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2010 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, looks like Jeff will have kept up with his deadline. I got this update from him today.

"I'll have the body and interior finished within the next few days. I'm waiting on the headers before I put the engine back in to finish that up. I'm avoiding multiple installs of the engine to prevent accidental scratches and other possible damage. I have a spare cradle and will have the car complete sans engine until the exhaust is squared away."

I was hoping to have it back in time for Triangle Two-Seaters this upcoming weekend and Korey's party... but what can you do, right? :/

On a side note, Scotts dad has a TPI setup that he's getting rid of, Scott is sure he'll sell it to me cheap! So a big part of the way towards the fuel injected setup!
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2010 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alot of hiccups and set backs since my last post.

1) Found out (by complete accident, thanks to a thread by CaptFiero) that the pressure plate I have may not clear the bellhousing properly. Capt also gave me info on how to test and check that and some measurements, all sent along to Jeff who said he'd check it.

2) Joe had been inexplicably putting off starting on my exhaust. Jeff finally said he'd take over, and we went back and forth putting together a list of exhaust parts, headers, mufflers, etc.

3) After I order I discover that the offsets I got on the mufflers I wanted (Borla Pro XS) might cause headaches, but Jeff would see what could be done.

4) Everything arrives, Jeff starts test fitting, finds out the headers will need to be modified. Gets Joe to agree to modify them immediately, and he does. Headers now fit, though a little closer to the trunk. Jeff will put in some insulation on that side until I get the exhaust coated.

5) Joe is now interested in the exhaust again, and started trying to figure out how to make it with a crossover and keep it quiet and no resonance. He asked me if it was okay if they cut out the bottom half of my trunk and make a new trunk-floor for it so he'd have room for the piping configuration. I said sure. He said this also opened up options for even larger mufflers, which would be even quieter, so I dug around and send him a few other mufflers, though I didn't know the exact dimensions this modification would give him, so I didn't go too crazy - and I did let him know I'd rather him try to use the Borlas so I don't have to deal with shipping stuff back to Summit and reordering more stuff again.

So that's where everything is at... in short, the last month and a half has been full of exhaust-drama, with a one-day (on my end) panic about the pressure plate. lol

No new estimated completion time yet.
La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2010 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can't wait to see it running dude! I live right here in Mooresville also, near UTI. I know how you feel with this waiting thing. I have my block in Mooreville Machine Shop in downtown Mooresville. Good lord, this fricking guy has a stupid story every time. I paid him $300 advanced of a $450 for the total cost of the job. Nothing extraordinary, just bore and deck, installed cam bearings and fit my new pistons to the rods. He said it will be ready this Friday coming up (that is what he's been saying the last 4 fridays). I had to put some pressure on him. If I don't get my stuff by this Saturday you'll proly hear my name on the 6 o'clock news.
I did an LT4 for a friend and LKN Speed got us the right crank (had to take it apart again) and he also balanced it for us.
Well, if you need help with something let me know, I'll PM you my phone number.

Rei Moloon

PS. Planning to go to Carolina Motorsports Park in September for a track day. So far its going to be me (Fiero), a '94 Camaro with a 377, and a GTO. Let me know and I'll give you some info.
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2010 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Rei!

CMP, isn't that a course-track? I've never been on one of those, not sure how I'd do since I've never taking the Fiero through it's paces on something like that. If you want to PM me the details and I can ask you some questions, that's cool.

LKN is an awesome shop, if your guy still hasn't done your block, call up Scott and see how much he'd do for the same work, demand a refund from your guy and get over to Scotts place! lol

Before I go to pick it up I'll let you know, I'll likely be heading right from Vixen to Scotts place so he can retune my carb, so we can meet there if it's not too much of a drive for you.

La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2010 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Trinten:

Hey Rei!

CMP, isn't that a course-track? I've never been on one of those, not sure how I'd do since I've never taking the Fiero through it's paces on something like that. If you want to PM me the details and I can ask you some questions, that's cool.

LKN is an awesome shop, if your guy still hasn't done your block, call up Scott and see how much he'd do for the same work, demand a refund from your guy and get over to Scotts place! lol

Before I go to pick it up I'll let you know, I'll likely be heading right from Vixen to Scotts place so he can retune my carb, so we can meet there if it's not too much of a drive for you.

You'll do fine at the roadcourse and you'll see how fun your Fiero is, specially with that engine. There is chasis dyno not too far from LKN Speed. It's called Taylor's Imports, that is where I do all my dyno tunning. When you're ready to go let me know and I'll take you there. It has a Mustang dyno.

[This message has been edited by La fiera (edited 08-06-2010).]

CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2010 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Vince....you need to remind them that Run For The Hills 15 is only 6 weeks away, and that you can't go without your car. I am trying to get the 3400 swap in the yellow car done by then...but at least we have the convertible to fall back on if I don't make it.

Rei....more info on this track day, please....even if the 3400 isn't done, I can likely drag along Chris and his Lotus.
PFF
System Bot
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2010 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey CP,

I'm not sure telling them that I need the car for anything in particular is going to make it go any faster. I had told them I wanted it in time for the July Triangle 2-Seaters meet, and as you can see.... lol

I thought the convertible was Fierflys as well? Or did she give you that?

Rei,

Thanks for the additional info. What I'll probably try to do is find a parking lot someplace in the middle of nowhere to hit late at night to practice - last thing I want to have happen is lose control of the car and smash it into a wall, or cause an accident or something (don't know if multiple cars run at the same time).
CowsPatoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2010 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes...they are both hers....but my project is nowhere near completion. If we have the 3400 ready in time, she will be driving the convertible at the back of the aggressive group at RFTH and I will be driving the 3400 in the insane group.
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2010 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any more info on this RFTH thing?

Vince, don't you practice driving the Lincoln pretty much everyday? just kiddin with ya..
CowsPatoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2010 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/079441.html for information

Some videos of the scouting run:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LOdoEatao8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUFmECOnY4c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJD4k0eakbQ

There were 22 Fieros at last years run. It was by far the most exciting Fiero get-together we have done. If you have a Fiero that will run it, then you don't want to miss this.
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2010 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright,

I got the decklid prepped, next weekend I start glassing. Looks like what I'll need to do is glass up the slope that's along the narrow part of the decklid till it meets with the wider part of the decklid, it's the only way to bring up enough of a surface to mate with the lip on the scoop. Then I'll grind down the lip a little bit so it's not riding the edge of the narrow part of the decklid and glass it on! Probably use a smear of epoxy along the bottom of the lip to help secure it.

Also heard from Joe over the weekend. He's got the trunk modifications done and said he should have time to work on the exhaust (another job had apparently cancelled on him). He said he'd get some pics if he could get his camera to work. So I'm hyped!

Jeff also said it would be pretty easy to move over the lock and electric lock popper from my old decklid to the new one, which is good news.
MooCow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MooCowSend a Private Message to MooCowEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any pics yet? I might have to stop over myself and get some since I live close by

Ken~
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Ken!

No, no pics. Just an email from (Very) early this morning from Joe asking me what sort of exhaust tips I wanted to go with. I'm making an assumption that it means he's nearly finished. lol

If you're not too far and wouldn't mind taking pics, I'd appreciate it!
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2010 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright, tomorrow I'm heading out to Vixen with the decklid and scoop and all of my fiberglassing supplies to make sure everything is going to clear, fit, etc, then going to start working on it there if Joe has no objections.

This Sunday will mark the 365th day that my car has been at Vixen. lol

In slightly sadder news, Jeff is moving his electronics shop out of Vixen. He'll still be working with Joe and selling his products to the shop/customers, but business has been sort of slow for him so it's a financial decision, and not anything falling apart between the two guys. Jeff will still be doing all of his electronics work, just out of a different location for now.

Because of this he is also selling/sold all of his car stuff, including his own Fiero project.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this won't cause any other delays in getting my car back. I'm not sure what else is left to do once the exhaust is done besides reconnect all of the cables, wires and such to the engine. Hopefuly I'll find out tomorrow, though Jeff said he wasn't planning on being in the shop this weekend.

On another note - Thank you to the guys who have sent me emails and PMs giving me their condolences and offers to help out/finish the work in Vixens place. I can't say I'm not frustrated (mostly since being given the first deadline over 3 months ago), but at this point - besides the exhaust - we're down to the minutia (I hope). So I want to tough it out with them if at all possible.

Also I don't want to get into a "who owes who what" situation with anyone, nor go through the additional expense of having to move a non-running car to someone else who is going to have to spend alot of time re-checking everything to find out exactly what is left to do, and then of course do it.
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2010 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay!

I got out to Vixen today and met up with Joe (he was running a litle late due to unexpected visitors, but kept me in the loop on his ETA... mostly).

He went over with me what he planned to do with the exhaust and it's a solid plan, looks like it'll turn out nice! The modified trunk will still have enough room to put a dufflebag or something similiar in there, so that's good. I asked him point blank "How long?" He said that realistically it would take a week to get the exhaust done, but did say "If I can get Jeff in here and we both hammer away at this thing, we could probably get the whole thing done in 8 hours." He also said the guys that handle ceramic coating for them work fast and it probably only take 2 or 3 days. He said he'd get that taken care of.

He also said that there was a day that he tried to get Jeff to come in and work with him on it, and couldn't get Jeff to do it. From what Joe was saying, Jeff is suffering from major burn out. Could just be a matter of perception. He did say that he'd try to get on Jeff about getting it done. I stressed to him that my patience was wearing out.

I put on my cut decklid and laid the scoop over it. The air cleaner didn't come up over the decklid as far as I thought (maybe a 1/4 inch) - BUT I didn't fully assemble the unit. I just laid the cleaner on top of the carbuerator, the raised-plate-thingie was not in place, which I figure will bump it up another inch. Still plenty of clearance. Also took measurements and the spoiler wll clear (with about an inch to spare if put in the stock position), and shouldn't interfer with it opening!

I talked with him about how to glass it on, he threw out a few ideas that would make it look much cleaner and nicer... and also WAY outside of my abilities. So I asked him if it was something he could do, he said he'd either do it or he had a buddy that was excellent at fiberglass work, and then he'd repaint the whole thing. I had brought my dremel, some other assorted tools, and all the stuff for the fiberglass application, I gave him all the stuff but the dremel/tools.

All this means I still don't have a new definited estimated completion time, but at least my exhaust should be done this week. One major step closer!!!

I'm off to shoot him and Jeff an email.
This thread has been moved here: The Construction Zone.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock