Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Any and all things 3.4 DOHC........... (Page 27)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 32 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Any and all things 3.4 DOHC........... by pavo_roddy
Started on: 11-22-2006 12:30 AM
Replies: 1247 (67270 views)
Last post by: fliphone on 01-06-2024 02:30 PM
HausFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2010 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HausFieroSend a Private Message to HausFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
if the timing was right I would be all over that qwik. I need to sell my 86 gt right now, then a few years down the road I plan on getting an 88. If I had that and 2 grand laying around that would be me lol. I'm wanting to get a 3.4 dohc in an 88 once I get one. Great price btw.

Btw, reminder that my 86 gt is for sale for those of u looking for a project )
not meaning to hijack or use this for an advertisement but if anyone is interested feel free to pm or info
IP: Logged
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2010 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just picked up my own 3.4 DOHC today, and tomorrow my dad and I be driving home with it and a bunch of fiero swap parts, including a spare four speed and an exhaust system.
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2010 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, it looks like I've pulled the trigger to go with this swap. I have just purchased a zero mile 96 DOHC off of E-bay and It's now sitting in Fieroking's garage waiting for Joe to do the install. So sometime this winter/spring my baby will be getting a new heart!

tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2010 06:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where did that coil bracket come from?

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2010 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:

Where did that coil bracket come from?

You mean the one in my picture? It came with the engine and I believe that's the stock 96 mounting location.

Nolan
tesmith66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2010 06:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
K. Thanks.

My 94 motor has them under the front exhaust manifold and I'm not diggin' that.
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2010 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

K. Thanks.

My 94 motor has them under the front exhaust manifold and I'm not diggin' that.

Ditto my 95. I moved mine to where the battery used to live. Too hot under there with the reduced airflow compared to what it wold have in a front engined car.

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2010 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep, and I tried to keep it there but it didn't work for me. Had to move it to the old batt location too. I put the "dog bone" in that location.

Great looking motor. Great find.

Rob

------------------

88 Coupe, CJB T-TOP, 1996 3.4 DOHC and a GT clip

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 10-19-2010).]

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2010 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Rob but if you would have posted your set-up for sale a few weeks earlier I probably would have bought it

Nolan
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2010 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sourmug:

Thanks Rob but if you would have posted your set-up for sale a few weeks earlier I probably would have bought it

Nolan

If you need any pics, or data, let me know.

rob
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2010 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know where I can get/make the "3.4 DOHC V6" sticker on the injector cover?
PFF
System Bot
L67

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 219
User Banned

Report this Post10-20-2010 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Which year intake manifold?
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2010 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by L67:

Which year intake manifold?

91-95
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2010 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

Does anyone know where I can get/make the "3.4 DOHC V6" sticker on the injector cover?

Its not a sticker, its a metal embossed "plate". Just saying.

Rob
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2010 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

Its not a sticker, its a metal embossed "plate". Just saying.

Rob

Oh really? Didn't know that. Whoops. OK then. Anyone have an extra one laying around?
sspeedstreet

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2010 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
'Nother subject . . . I don't remember of reading about this anywhere during the last 5 years of my build, so I thought I'd add it on here. This week I took my 1988gt in for Cal smog certification with the 3.4DOHC installed. It's an OBD I setup. When the referee hooked the "brick" to the ALDL, it could not communicate with the computer.

Turns out the serial data terminal in the Fiero ALDL (1988 anyway) is in a different spot than in a 1992 Lumina (what I told the tech the motor was out of). It needs to be moved to position "M" in the plug.

If this is old news, I apologize.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2010 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sspeedstreet:

'Nother subject . . . I don't remember of reading about this anywhere during the last 5 years of my build, so I thought I'd add it on here. This week I took my 1988gt in for Cal smog certification with the 3.4DOHC installed. It's an OBD I setup. When the referee hooked the "brick" to the ALDL, it could not communicate with the computer.

Turns out the serial data terminal in the Fiero ALDL (1988 anyway) is in a different spot than in a 1992 Lumina (what I told the tech the motor was out of). It needs to be moved to position "M" in the plug.

If this is old news, I apologize.

Yea, for most OBD 1 computer swaps, you move the serial pin to M. It's for the higher baud rate the newer OBD1 ECM's, like the 7730/7727 and 9396.
L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-28-2010 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recently finished The Aura's harness and thought I would post a picture.

The Aura

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2010 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The AuraSend a Private Message to The AuraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow that thing looks amazing!
msweldon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2010 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for msweldonSend a Private Message to msweldonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok...

Could someone tell me what their DOHC LQ1 rpm is a 70mph. I'm running a 97 DOHC on an 86.5GT with a Getrag 5spd (at least I'm 99% sure its a getrag) and my rpms are about 3000 at 70mph. It has 18" wheels with 225/40's which is pretty close to stock GT rear wheel / tire combo...

I've been away from fiero's for about 8 years and I could've sworn my 87GT V6 5spd only spun around 2400-2500 rpm at 70 mph.

What about you fellas? rpm at 70mph? There's no what this has the 3.94 final drive, correct?

thanks,
Marc

[This message has been edited by msweldon (edited 11-05-2010).]

qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2010 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Marc, has the tach in your car been modified, in other words, was your car a 4cly car or was the tach in a 4cyl car before. The reason I ask is that in my 88 coupe, i put in a 87 GT gauge pack, and had to change the "card" in the tach to run in a 4cyl car. When I had the 2.5 in it, it ran great and worked like a charm. I never changed it back after I put in the DOHC motor, so my rpms were way off. I just changed it back to the 2.8L card and now it works fine, but I need to "re-zero" my needle. Now my RPMs are off by about 400 or so. No help, but just asking if someone had made the same change to the Tach.

Rob
PFF
System Bot
msweldon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2010 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for msweldonSend a Private Message to msweldonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
qwik..

Car has always been a V6, verified the VIN on that one...

I have a haltech E6K waiting to go in when I get a chance that would allow me to get a more precise readout...
L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-06-2010 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The difference between the 4cyl and 6cyl tach is substantial and obviously noticeable.
bonaduce

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2010 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just wondering if anyone that has done a 3.4 dohc swap has wired up the oil level sensor, and if so did you wire it throught the pcm, or wired it up under it 's own circuit.

thanks

dan
L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-18-2010 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The PCM never handles the level warning indicator, there was always a panic light on the dashboard for oil level. That being said, I've never heard of anyone using it, I certainly didn't.
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2010 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lovin' havin' this power every day.
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2010 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fierobsessed

4782 posts
Member since Dec 2001

The PCM never handles the level warning indicator, there was always a panic light on the dashboard for oil level. That being said, I've never heard of anyone using it, I certainly didn't.

I could have put it in, It does run through the PCM on mainly 95 models, it even has its own section of code for "Low Oil Level Logic" to only show you that the oil level is low when the ECM has legitimately determined that it is low, which is not necessarily when the sensor says it is.

Pin A4 is the output to the light, The light is powered by 12V from a fuse, and the computer grounds the other end of it to illuminate it.
Pin D19 is the Input from the float switch in the oil pan. It gets grounded when the oil level is low (which is hardly fail safe!).

L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-25-2010 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My mistake, my mind went to the 3800 level sensor. It's been a while since using OBD1.5+ schematics, and the OBD1 equipment doesn't have provision. I spent a few minutes digging up the information below from schematics.

OBD1
========================================
'91-'93 Chevy Lumina 3.4 DOHC -- No warning indicator
'91-'93 Pontiac Grand Prix 3.4 DOHC -- Not Used
'91-'93 Olds. Cutlass 3.4 DOHC -- Not Used

OBD1.5
'95 Chevy Monte Carlo 3.4 DOHC -- Through PCM (A4- to light) (D19- sensor input)
'94-'95 Chevy Lumina 3.4 DOHC -- Through PCM (A4- to light) (D19- sensor input)
'94-'95 Pontiac Grand Prix 3.4 DOHC -- Through PCM (A4- to light) (D19- sensor input)
'94-'95 Olds. Cutlass 3.4 DOHC --Through PCM (A4- to light) (D19- sensor input)

OBD2
'96-'97 Chevy Monte Carlo 3.4 DOHC -- Through PCM (C1 70 - sensor input) (C2 7 - to light)
'96-'97 Chevy Lumina 3.4 DOHC -- Through PCM (C1 70 - sensor input) (C2 7 - to light)
'96' Pontiac Grand Prix 3.4 DOHC -- Through PCM (C1 70 - sensor input) (C2 7 - to light)
'96-'97 Olds. Cutlass 3.4 DOHC -- Through PCM (C1 70 - sensor input) (C2 7 - to light)

Originally posted by Fierobsessed:

What is the actual coolant temperature when your temperature needle is in that position?
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2010 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like it's at the 1/4 mark, on my logs I found it to be around 200-210 at that position. However... The needle fell off once, so It's not exactly where it should be. It's probably about 1/8th low.
The Aura

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2010 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The AuraSend a Private Message to The AuraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone used the west coast fiero y-pipe does it clear the 4 speed shift brakets... looks like it would be easier than making my own.

Also has anyone made a system that isn't too loud utilizine the stock manifolds and y-pipe exit,
most of the short systems I have seen look like htey'd be too loud.

Let's talk exhaust
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2010 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had headers but a stock position Y pipe, in other words, the trunk side header fed into the firewall side and then down to the cat (stock location) and then out through a 2.5 inch West Coast Fiero system. The Y pipe was made from a local exhaust shop. It had a slip joint so that the trunk side tube could be fit seperate from the rest (two piece Y pipe). It sounded great. I can get some better pics or see this post //www.fiero.nl/forum/F...1/HTML/083204-3.html about half way down page 3 Archie took a few pics. I have better ones at home.

Pics added.

Rob

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 12-29-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 03:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...1/HTML/083204-3.html

Rob

Wait, so it took you 5 years to do the 3.4 DOHC swap, then in two days, you had an LS3 in and running... haha! And the 3.4 DOHC is the easy swap compared to the LS3.

Anyway, exhaust. You can see what mine looks like on this thread page 14
//www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../062728-14.html#p542

Stock Fiero Routing, It is two front manifolds, rear flipped, a X-over pipe made from the parts of the original, including the flex bellow. Off the shelf 2.5" catalytic converter, the muffler is a flowmaster 80 series, with a small section of the chamber modified to fit the fiero's muffler location. The tips are the OE ones for the Fiero. It sounds OK, but in my opinion, it is still a bit on the loud side. Sounds good, just loud.

Erik

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 05:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Love it. Re-adjust the cams and add a 96-97 intake with a throttle mounted on direcrly on the plenum to drop the 0-60 with proper tuning

Also it gives a lumpy idle which fools people as to what you are running although it sounds like a 180 ferrari in the upper rpms or a lambo for that matter
tesmith66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 06:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there a special starting or break-in procedure for these DOHC crate engines? Do they need to be primed? How is that done, just by cranking with the ignition disabled until oil pressure comes up?

Also, is there any detailed information (like a step by step) on timing the cams? I know there are special tool required. I have a good used DOHC that I want to play around with.

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

[This message has been edited by tesmith66 (edited 12-23-2010).]

L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-23-2010 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cam Timing Picture Walkthrough.

It would be nice if someone could throw their car on the dyno before and after the cam timing changes. There are some (including myself) who believe the timing changes are detrimental to performance when the engine's in a Fiero.
Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It would be nice if someone could throw their car on the dyno before and after the cam timing changes. There are some (including myself) who believe the timing changes are detrimental to performance when the engine's in a Fiero.

Thats nice but I dont need to feed your belief
Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Erik

5625 posts
Member since Jul 2002

Is there a special starting or break-in procedure for these DOHC crate engines? Do they need to be primed? How is that done, just by cranking with the ignition disabled until oil pressure comes up?

Also, is there any detailed information (like a step by step) on timing the cams? I know there are special tool required. I have a good used DOHC that I want to play around with.

Prime with spark plugs pulled out retard for topend advance for lowend take into consideration gearing For cam tune
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wait, so it took you 5 years to do the 3.4 DOHC swap, then in two days, you had an LS3 in and running... haha! And the 3.4 DOHC is the easy swap compared to the LS3.

Not sure if that's meant as a slam, but in my own defense, I was active duty US Navy and made three deployments, including a "trip" to Afghanistan and Iraq. And I don't have my own shop like Archie. So yea it took WAY to long to do. I agree. I could do a DOHC swap in a few weeks if I was doing it again, but I also know what to do now. I was way too intimidated with the wire harness, after I was done with it, I kept saying "Why did I take so long to do that, it was easy". And I also had purchased a new GTO and was working on it at the same time, so money was being spent on it too. But yes, I was too long. That is why I decided to take the car to Archie, if i tried to do the LS swap myself, i'd be without the car for another 5 years. :-)

Rob
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nah, all in jest. It took me 13 months to do mine. I know how much work a swap can be, especially if its just a hobby, not a way of life, or critical transportation. Just pointing out that it is funny how you put so much time into one engine, then in just a blink of an eye, an LS3.
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fierobsessed

4782 posts
Member since Dec 2001

I've considered it. I also have a 96 intake on the shelf. Its just such a pain to actually do it. I have to at least do a partial drop to get the cam covers off, the intake has to come off for rear bank work. I've also considered the -6 +6 adjustment as well. But, there is no way I'd do it without dyno time for the sake of just knowing if the work makes actual improvements. I do also have a complete 96 or 97 crate engine just sitting in my garage. I'm considering that one with a turbo... Funds permitting though. But I've been driving it for the past couple of years, and just enjoying it.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 32 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock