Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Any and all things 3.4 DOHC........... (Page 32)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 32 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Any and all things 3.4 DOHC........... by pavo_roddy
Started on: 11-22-2006 12:30 AM
Replies: 1247 (67337 views)
Last post by: fliphone on 01-06-2024 02:30 PM
Xenoblast

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2022 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by InThePink:

Can anyone provide this overall/maximum width dimension, please?

I can provide all of those dimensions tomorrow

May I ask what you are going to be swapping this into?

[This message has been edited by Xenoblast (edited 10-21-2022).]

IP: Logged
InThePink

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2022 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for InThePinkSend a Private Message to InThePinkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xenoblast:

I can provide all of those dimensions tomorrow

May I ask what you are going to be swapping this into?

That would be much appreciated, thank you.

Here's a pic of the *tentative* recipient's ('52 Nash Rambler) engine bay:

Being unibody, the inner fenders need to stay, so I'm trying to work with them for now.
Xenoblast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2022 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Took some measurements, it doesnt look good for you...

at 8.5 inches above the bottom of the oil pan, the width of the engine is 24 inches because of the alternator, and this doesnt include the added width with a ac compressor. the tips of the heads are 25 inches wide. the engine is 24 inches long, and 26 inches tall.
InThePink

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2022 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for InThePinkSend a Private Message to InThePinkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for taking the time to do this, I very much appreciate it.

I wouldn't need the A/C compressor and might not need the P/S pump (though that appears to be the least "in the way" belt driven accessory), and could fab up something to mount the alternator elsewhere. I will do a bit more research and take a few more measurements.

Thanks again for helping out.

[This message has been edited by InThePink (edited 10-23-2022).]

InThePink

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2022 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for InThePinkSend a Private Message to InThePinkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

InThePink

5 posts
Member since Oct 2022
I have exactly 24" of width at the front of the engine bay, forward of the LCA mounts, close to where the alternator and A/C compressor (which would not be used on my application) would be, so I think I am just barely okay there. Plenty of height (I have 31" above the drag link, and I could always switch to a steering rack if need be). Plenty of engine bay length, too.

Question on the oil pan. The oil pump is fairly typical for a Chevy V-type engine, so is the extra length, and the sump section in particular, simply for extra oil capacity? I don't think I'd have an issue with oil pan clearance, and I did read through many of the 3.4 TDC topics which did emphasize oil supply is critical for this engine, so my assumption is the extra large oil pan is designed for capacity reasons, to help ensure oil starvation is never an issue.

I suspect the exhaust manifolds (I would likely use two left(?) side manifolds) will be the main area of interference. From the few pics I've seen, they appear to be tucked in just slightly, and low enough on the head that they would be within the 25" max width mentioned...maybe a bit wider? That measurement (max width with both x-mans bolted to the engine) would be very helpful to have if possible, too.

fliphone

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2023 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fliphoneSend a Private Message to fliphoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First (and hopefully not last!) post here in 2023! Just spent the evening reading about all the history with these motors and seeing everyone else's swaps. Makes me want to get mine finished so bad
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2023 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fliphone:

First (and hopefully not last!) post here in 2023! Just spent the evening reading about all the history with these motors and seeing everyone else's swaps. Makes me want to get mine finished so bad

Thanks for resurrecting this! Looks like the LQ1 "mother lode".
I'm gonna have to do some reading...
fliphone

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2024 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fliphoneSend a Private Message to fliphoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I can finally add my car into this thread, 88GT with a gen2 LQ1 being run by a 91-93 ECU for potential smog purposes.

I have about 200 miles on it so far but as always still have a long ways to go!

------------------
Black 88 GT, a 19 year old here about 20 years to late
-LQ1 Swap in progress-

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 32 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock