Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall - Archive
  Tired of that quiet V6 exhaust? Want more rumble?? (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Tired of that quiet V6 exhaust? Want more rumble?? by Ramsespride
Started on: 12-12-2010 02:28 AM
Replies: 93
Last post by: steve308 on 04-09-2011 07:54 AM
Ramsespride

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2010 02:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RamsesprideSend a Private Message to RamsesprideDirect Link to This Post
If you are like me then you want more power, Mpg's, and that Mean grumble that the 3.4 and 3800 produce.

But while you can get the two, there seems to be a slight lacking in the throaty grumble department.

For customers that are utilizing the stock Fiero exhaust Y-pipe and dual megaphone exhaust tips, i can fabricate up a Y-pipe that will fit in place of the Muffler, allowing MORE flow and the sound to be further propelled outwards!

In place of the Catalynic Converter a Glasspack can be purchased either through us or a local muffler shop and further "smooth out" the exhaust note.

I havent yet set the pricing on a set BUT im figuring roughly 25 bucks Minus shipping and the setup SHOULD fit in a flat rate box when completed!

Choices of Heat tempered paint will be:
Black
Gray
Lime Green
Orange
Red
Silver
Yellow
Purple
Violet
Or A mettalic blue or purple hue (No gaurantees on the life of this style paint)

The pipes can be made in a "clamp on" or a "weld on" fashion and will come with instructions on installation WITH pictures as a helpful guide.

I take Paypal or MO.
Parts take on average 2-3 days to complete
another 2-3 for shipping provided the order is placed before noon on the beginning day
Parts will be made from quality steel mandrel bent tubing or better.
Welds will be gauranteed for a One year and a day period from time of mailing.

*Note: the stock Fiero exhaust pipe diameter will be used unless otherwise noted and a special charge MAY be placed upon the part if the size is bigger than or altered in appearance.
**Paint is included free of charge and is High Temp Engine paint good for up to 1000*F.
***This is a hobby and life will get in the way BUT with the ammount of time i have on my hands im pretty sure i could pump out atleast 5 a week maybe even more.
****I also have just shy of 10 years of Mig welding under my belt and the welds will most likely outlast the parts themselves as im a BIG fan of overkill

------------------

Originally posted by pontiackid86:
Also what does yoga and farming have to do with eachother?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mbautodesign

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2010 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mbautodesignSend a Private Message to mbautodesignDirect Link to This Post
If you can get some pics if a real piece I'd be very interested
Been thinking of doing this myself
I'd take one in silver
chrishahn87

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2010 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chrishahn87Send a Private Message to chrishahn87Direct Link to This Post
With my engine swap, and custom exhaust, I wouldnt need this item.... but it is terriffic to see someone making this exhaust piece! I know exactly what you are wanting to make, and this is the beginning of an awesome sounding Fiero V6 exhaust system!!!

A long time ago, there was a company that made a "cat back" exhaust system that was nothing but straight pipes back to the tips (was available with or w/o tips) and you would either use the cat. converter as the unit to "muffle" the sound, or you could eliminate the cat. converter and install a muffler in its place (you would have no cat. converter then). ***I have not seen this product for sale for many years, unless you find someone who has a used piece*** Before I did my engine swap, I had this exhaust system, with a 2" Flowmaster 40 series two chamber muffler (center inlet / center outlet) and the exhaust note was WONDERFUL!!! I had countless people stop me to ask if the car had a V8, or tell me that it sounds awesome and want to know what motor I had in there, or had many people comment that my Fiero was the best sounding car that they'd ever heard!

Ramsespride, I hope that you are able to sell alot of these exhaust peices! This is a going to be a great product and anyone who wants an aggressive sound for their Fiero will absolutly love it!!!
Chris
old one

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2010 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for old oneSend a Private Message to old oneDirect Link to This Post
i would like to see some pictures of this in a system to see what it looks like.
Joe 1320

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2010 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe 1320Click Here to visit Joe 1320's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe 1320Direct Link to This Post
I was just looking online for just such a part. When will they be available and how much?

------------------
84 2.5
87 328 GTB replica
87 Coutach replica

sprnt96

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2010 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sprnt96Send a Private Message to sprnt96Direct Link to This Post
My son has been trying to find a way to make his stock Formula sound better, maybe this would do the trick
Ramsespride

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2010 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RamsesprideSend a Private Message to RamsesprideDirect Link to This Post
Im going to get some of the pipeing later today after i dig out my truck from the blizzard. After i get the total price for the parts per unit and the very low labor cost, then i will know forsure how much it will cost
gtxbullet

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2010 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletDirect Link to This Post
I made a muffler delete for my 88 Coupe. and I love it. I had to make a y-pipe out of 2 90* bends though.
Actually I made the whole exhaust set up from the downpipe to the tips from scratch.

FREE BUMP, it really makes a tone difference by having no mufller. plus you get some weight reduction.
Ramsespride

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2010 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RamsesprideSend a Private Message to RamsesprideDirect Link to This Post
bump. While snowblowing i figured out a way to make it look as tho it is a muffler aswell WITHOUT actually being one. For those that want to be sneaky sneaky during inspections.- Note all these parts are for "offroad use only" I know they wont be used there but i have to say it
Ramsespride

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2010 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RamsesprideSend a Private Message to RamsesprideDirect Link to This Post

Ramsespride

1979 posts
Member since Feb 2010
Bump! Spent the evening fabbing up the first one! its almost done so who wants to be the Guninea pig?

Requirements are:
2.8 or higher V6
must be able to install on the Vehicle Immediatly or bring vehicle to me to be installed.
Provide Photos and Video of the setup in use

Whomever would like to be the Lab Rat will receive their First setup for free, after that each set will be 1/2 off the total price
Joe 1320

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2010 07:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe 1320Click Here to visit Joe 1320's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe 1320Direct Link to This Post
Mine is on a lift right now having some other exhaust work done, this would be a perfect time to test one.

[This message has been edited by Joe 1320 (edited 12-13-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2010 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTDirect Link to This Post
I've got a Formula that I FINALLY got running right this weekend and it needs Y pipe exhaust back as now it's about 5 adapters welded and muffler cemented together. It leaks and sounds like garbage. Money is very tight right now with Christmas next week but maybe "Santa" will get me one to try out. Also I live in one of those annoying states that do the visual inspection for a cat so I would have to use one….unless there’s another way..
I plan on keeping this car stock for now so anything to help it sound - non stock would be a plus.
I’d love to see a picture of the part.
GSX-R_JJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2010 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSX-R_JJSend a Private Message to GSX-R_JJDirect Link to This Post
I am running a 2.5 with a 2.8 stock "cat back". My muffler is rotting out tho. Wanna try it on mine?
raysr11

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2010 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Direct Link to This Post
Very interested. When will it be available?
awestfield

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2010 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for awestfieldClick Here to visit awestfield's HomePageSend a Private Message to awestfieldDirect Link to This Post
mine is avalible for a a test run!!!!
raysr11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2010 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Direct Link to This Post
Let me know when you have another made up, weld-on, high temp silver. Zip 98237.
raysr11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2010 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Direct Link to This Post

raysr11

1254 posts
Member since Nov 2008
Let me know when you have another made up, weld-on, high temp silver. Zip 98237.
Ramsespride

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2010 03:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RamsesprideSend a Private Message to RamsesprideDirect Link to This Post
giving a bump with updates! I have 3 made up rightnow BUT i dont want to start shipping untill i have atleast 5 made as im keeping the first one as a sort of memento
Hopefully Sunday ill have some time to get into the shop again and make a few more. Pm;s that i have recieved have been responded to.

still dont have a set price just yet tho. Ive been doing research into the pricing of similar parts and im appalled at the overpriced garbage that is out there on the market for cars and trucks similar to my product!

Im still thinking no more than 45 each but ill have the definate price by sunday for sure!
Shipping on all orders of just the Muffler delete will be the standard USPS large flat rate box and $14.90 American. Either way, my products will be topnotch and quality- even if it kills me!
Joe 1320

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2010 07:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe 1320Click Here to visit Joe 1320's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe 1320Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ramsespride:

Bump! Spent the evening fabbing up the first one! its almost done so who wants to be the Guninea pig?

Requirements are:
2.8 or higher V6
must be able to install on the Vehicle Immediatly or bring vehicle to me to be installed.
Provide Photos and Video of the setup in use

Whomever would like to be the Lab Rat will receive their First setup for free, after that each set will be 1/2 off the total price

Originally posted by Joe 1320:

Mine is on a lift right now having some other exhaust work done, this would be a perfect time to test one.

Originally posted by Ramsespride:

giving a bump with updates! I have 3 made up rightnow BUT i dont want to start shipping untill i have atleast 5 made as im keeping the first one as a sort of memento
Hopefully Sunday ill have some time to get into the shop again and make a few more. Pm;s that i have recieved have been responded to.

still dont have a set price just yet tho. Ive been doing research into the pricing of similar parts and im appalled at the overpriced garbage that is out there on the market for cars and trucks similar to my product!

Im still thinking no more than 45 each but ill have the definate price by sunday for sure!
Shipping on all orders of just the Muffler delete will be the standard USPS large flat rate box and $14.90 American. Either way, my products will be topnotch and quality- even if it kills me!

I posted right after your question about who wants to test one, there was silence....... so evidently either I don't qualify for some reason or you're not interested in using me for a test so I guess I should move on to another solution?

[This message has been edited by Joe 1320 (edited 12-17-2010).]

DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2010 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTDirect Link to This Post
I'm still interested in this for my Formula, i love being a guinea pig AND i'm in no hurry.... It'll stil be in the driveway waiting when you're done making the first run. Just let me know when you're ready to ship. ....

PM sent & subscribed.

[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 12-17-2010).]

DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2010 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTDirect Link to This Post

DLCLK87GT

2696 posts
Member since Feb 2009
I was thinking, if this is replacing the muffler, how loud would it be?
What would you suggest for the rest of the system?
We’re supposed to have a cat in this state and they do the visual inspection but there are ways around that I suppose.
Suggestions or ideas from you exhaust experts out there???

This is going to be all new from the Y pipe, would it be worth it to go larger size pipe from that point back or is it useless?
PFF
System Bot
gtxbullet

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2010 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DLCLK87GT:

I was thinking, if this is replacing the muffler, how loud would it be?
What would you suggest for the rest of the system?
We’re supposed to have a cat in this state and they do the visual inspection but there are ways around that I suppose.
Suggestions or ideas from you exhaust experts out there???

This is going to be all new from the Y pipe, would it be worth it to go larger size pipe from that point back or is it useless?

if you still have a catalytic convertor then the loudness will not change, if you have no catalytic convertor then it will be loud, not terrible, but not smooth and quiet.

remember "loud pipes save lives"

I have a 2.5L with a glass pack in place of the catalytic convertor, and my own home-made free flow exhaust, it sounds great.
2 of my V6 fieros had no catalytic convertors and were great, a bit on the "RASPY" side but good. buy removing the stock muffler you will get more "TONE" from the exhaust and a very nice idle (like a v8)

free bump - because this really is a good idea if you're looking for a bit more for a bit less
DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2010 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gtxbullet:
if you still have a catalytic convertor then the loudness will not change, if you have no catalytic convertor then it will be loud, not terrible, but not smooth and quiet.

What do you think would sound the best, just the cat, replace the cat with a glass pack like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...&hash=item3359b69dc5
or replace the cat with something other than a cherrybomb/glasspack ?
Edit to say i don't want that ricey dirtbike sound

Originally posted by gtxbullet:
remember "loud pipes save lives"
True...they probably get pulled over more by local nothing better to do police as well

[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 12-17-2010).]

drebinpk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2010 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drebinpkSend a Private Message to drebinpkDirect Link to This Post
any pictures yet?
tednelson83

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2010 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post
sounds sweet man, im game! let me know when you have them available. i would want a clamp on, so i can do it in my driveway.

------------------

Wyotech Sacramento Alumni. ASE A6, A8, L1 and Certified. CA SMOG License.
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT 5-speed, 102k -Amber- been sitting for 10 years, the resurection has begun!
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT, 151,000 miles! decklid window, More pics of my 87 GT can be found here <-SOLD
1985 Pontiac Fiero 2m4 auto, 222K miles and counting <-recently lost to arson (6yo bro playing with fire) RIP!
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.7L 4x4, 78K <-Ex. Daily driver -Lost to the repo man
A 4 year olds knowledge of science: No matter how much jello you put into a swimming pool you still can't walk on water.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2010 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chrishahn87:
A long time ago, there was a company that made a "cat back" exhaust system that was nothing but straight pipes back to the tips (was available with or w/o tips) and you would either use the cat. converter as the unit to "muffle" the sound, or you could eliminate the cat. converter and install a muffler in its place (you would have no cat. converter then). ***I have not seen this product for sale for many years, unless you find someone who has a used piece***

It was called a "muffler eliminator" system. I believe that IRM sold them.
I had one on a Formula. Had the straight pipes, a "Y" pipe that was mounted to the right rear, and a pair of Hooker resonators.
I found that it was quite a bit louder than stock. At 30 MPH with the windows down, it would set up a drone that would plug your ears.
I could drive it to work and leave a wake of wailing car alarms behind me in the parking deck.

------------------
Raydar
88 4.9 Formula IMSA Fastback

Read Nealz Nuze! Praise the Lowered!

steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2010 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Direct Link to This Post
bump for pic's.
DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2010 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTDirect Link to This Post
bump for a picture of one you've already made
raysr11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2010 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Direct Link to This Post
Have you arrived at a price yet?

Thanks
Ramsespride

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2010 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RamsesprideSend a Private Message to RamsesprideDirect Link to This Post
Okay for now building has stopped due to some problems at the local postoffice. They think that shipping pipes in a flat rate box will throw up a red flag and the items will be mistaken for a 'Pipe bomb' and the package would be destroyed.

I have spoken to the Postmaster and if she can get the OK from the main hub in Green Bay i will be allowed to send them out.

I am looking for another outlet to ship that wont send an outrageous price down to my customers

I am expecting an answer for a ye or ney by New years so please bear with me as im as excited to contribute to the Community as you all are to buy!
raysr11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2010 03:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Direct Link to This Post
Did you tell them they were pipes? A sheet of tin-foil over the top and bottom should get them through. I just got a muffler, 18 inches, from Summit UPS. That would've really looked like a bomb through X-ray.
PFF
System Bot
Ramsespride

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2010 05:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RamsesprideSend a Private Message to RamsesprideDirect Link to This Post
Yeah i took one with when i got the flat rate box just to see if it would fit and the lady behind the counter (whom i have never seen before and i spent the summer working the back dock at this Postoffice) threw a fit about it. LOL you wouldve thought i had walked in with an AK47 or somthing. Ill see if i cant just send them out from the shops adress itself with a company style return label. Beats having to drive across town to drop off a bunch of boxes XD
DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2010 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTDirect Link to This Post
Your last name isn’t Kaczynski is it?
I would just box it up and ship from your shop, should be fine.

How about a picture while we wait?
raysr11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2010 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Direct Link to This Post
I think the postmaster was taking her job WAY too seriously. There is stuff shaped like that shipped all the time. Parts for lamps, other exhaust parts such as tips etc. The way I do it is go the PO and get the box and take it home, pack it, the take it back and ship it. That muffler I got from Summit looked like an RPG if your mind was slanted that way.
This is like a lot of other things, if you ask the answer is no, if you just do it, no problem. I'm really chomping at the bit for this part.

[This message has been edited by raysr11 (edited 12-22-2010).]

Ramsespride

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2010 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RamsesprideSend a Private Message to RamsesprideDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DLCLK87GT:

Your last name isn’t Kaczynski is it?

No its Robles, moms name Craig. we are from New Jersey orrigionally around Monmouth County

The name sounds really familiar tho. i think i went to school with a few but ill have to dig out a yearbook to check XD
F6GT-86wisconsin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2010 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F6GT-86wisconsinSend a Private Message to F6GT-86wisconsinDirect Link to This Post
Hey Rames this is a great idea, and I'd definetly want one. As you know I live in Kimberly and have a 86 GT 2.8. Do you still need a guinea pig car? Mines right in the garage all I gotta do is fire it up. Just let me know.
steve308

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2010 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Direct Link to This Post
All I want for christmas is a photo of this thing!
Joe 1320

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2010 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe 1320Click Here to visit Joe 1320's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe 1320Direct Link to This Post
Tired of the wish / wait?

Dynomax already makes them. All you do is add a little more pipe and a 90º elbow on the bottom and it's done.

[This message has been edited by Joe 1320 (edited 12-25-2010).]

raysr11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2010 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Direct Link to This Post
steve308

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2010 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Joe 1320:

Tired of the wish / wait?

Dynomax already makes them. All you do is add a little more pipe and a 90º elbow on the bottom and it's done.

Nice pic-- but a truck application - 4" pipe diesel application - don't think it will work on a fiero -- still holding out for a pic of a fiero fit finished pipe before the end of the current year.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock