Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  A view to die for ( my newest mod ) (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
A view to die for ( my newest mod ) by tednelson83
Started on: 07-21-2004 08:13 AM
Replies: 83
Last post by: tednelson83 on 03-08-2005 09:16 PM
tednelson83

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2004 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post
well what do you think? this is progress from today. more to come. this is my 87GT.

not bad for just a days work now is it? i still have to fine tune the mounting of the glass, and glue it down. more pics to come.

------------------

1985 Pontiac Fiero 2.5 SE, 219,500 miles and still runing!!!
more pics of my 85 can be found here
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT, 139,000 miles! Cat less, but otherwise damn near stock!
1987 Pontiac Fiero 2.8 SE, 54,000 miles :( parts car RIP

Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2004 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
AWESOME! I've always loved Skitime's decklid window... if I could figure out how to do it on a notchback decklid (it's got more of a hump than the GT decklids) I'd do it...

Please keep posting pics and details through the process...

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com
1988 Red Fiero Formula Convertible

Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2004 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
i've always liked that mod too. what are you using for glass. i remember skitime saying it had to have a slight curve.
datacop

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2004 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for datacopClick Here to visit datacop's HomePageSend a Private Message to datacopDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LZeitgeist:

AWESOME! I've always loved Skitime's decklid window... if I could figure out how to do it on a notchback decklid (it's got more of a hump than the GT decklids) I'd do it...

Please keep posting pics and details through the process...

Cut out the hump, install a mustang scoop, then install the window in the mustang scoop.

LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2004 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
Not a bad idea... just not the right one for me.

I love the flush-fit look - very sleek.

Thanks for the idea, though - never thought about that.

Spyhunter

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2004 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpyhunterSend a Private Message to SpyhunterDirect Link to This Post
i assume you've test fit it on the car. maybe it just looks this way in the pictures because the sense of scale is weird, but the hole looks too close to the rear window.
Saber49

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2004 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Saber49Send a Private Message to Saber49Direct Link to This Post
thats great. now if it works and turns out nice we can come to you to make em on all our cars lol... keep it up.
NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2004 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by datacop:

Cut out the hump, install a mustang scoop, then install the window in the mustang scoop.

Sound's like my old decklid design... I was the first with the window in the stang scoop! There were several picture's but, I can't find em' now...

------------------

Custom Built -- W I D E B O D Y-- GT!!
One of One!!

tednelson83

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2004 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post
LZeitgeist: ill let you know how if i descide to do it on my 2m4 though i dont think the four would look as cool under there.

Philphine: i dont know what skitime did, i asked but he was kinda rude. i used a sheet of lexan.

Spyhunter: i did test fit it, and it is a bit farther back than i wanted, but i wasnt brave enough to cut out the underside support. im thinking of either adding a set of vents that i have, or putting a second window behind the current one.

Saber49: i thought about making a kit, and i may if damand is large enough, but let me see what the finished thing will look like.

if i made a kit who would buy it?

DotTC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2004 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DotTCClick Here to visit DotTC's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotTCDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NotAFieroAnyLonger:

Sound's like my old decklid design... I was the first with the window in the stang scoop! There were several picture's but, I can't find em' now...

You mean your homeplate design

------------------
1988 Aero 88 coupe.. 2.8l v6.. more mods to come.
Photo Gallery - Fiero Links

Philphine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2004 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
since i'm looking at it again it came to me.i don't know why it didn't the first time...

if you cut that section out clean, it's gonna have the slight curvature to it already. so i guess if you took it to whoever makes the glass you could just tell them to copy what you have in tempered glass. sound like it should work?

PFF
System Bot
tednelson83

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2004 05:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post
i dont see why not. but it would be more expensive than what i have for a moot point.
Philphine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2004 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
yeah, i have no idea what a piece of custom emper glass would cost, but i think he said he used it for durability.

how long do you think the lexan will last as far as staying clear is concerned? are you going to make it easy or at least not real hard to change it out if it starts getting cloudy?

tednelson83

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2004 06:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post
yea removing it will be quite simple. i used claer sillicone to hold it in place. it seams to be holding. as for how long it will stay clear, the stuff i used should last more than 5 years. it is high quality and is designed to take the heat and weather.
tednelson83

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2004 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post

tednelson83

1993 posts
Member since Jul 2002
this is what i got done today.

this is before i painted the underside of the window's edges.

this is the final test fit

this is the finished product. i like it!

if you have pic requests let me know. if you are interested in a kit let me know.
illtry to take better pics later with another camera.

EDIT 12-21-04: basicly i cut out the general shape fron the bottom of the decklid. i used the shape that was there already. than i measured half an inch(or thereabouts) in from the top or the lid. i used a dremmel tool to cut through ONLY the top layer of the lid. i separated the parts, sanded it smooth, and trimmed a sheet of laxan to fit the hole. i painted a black ring around the bottom of the window, and attached it with some old sillicone i found in the garage. next time i will use better sillicone. i have had it on my daily driver sence late summer, and it is just fine, only problem comes from washing it. it gets those light swirl marks like the rest of the body. the pics above illustrate what i mean.

------------------

1987 Pontiac Fiero 2.8 SE, 54,000 miles parts car RIP

[This message has been edited by tednelson83 (edited 12-21-2004).]

Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2004 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTDirect Link to This Post
Looks great!

------------------
-Chris - Custom Gun Metal 86 GT 3.4 5spd
3.4 SOLD & 4.9 being installed

"It's too low, too rough, too loud, drinks gas, it's totally impractical, but damn good lookin. In other words, It's almost perfect!"
Build up tread or MODS w/ Pics

Philphine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2004 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
looks good enough to me. looks like a little simpler method. i think this time i'll take a shot at it. thanks for the info.
Philphine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2004 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post

Philphine

6136 posts
Member since Feb 2000
hey is that car silver? mine is. if so, are you considering changing the plenum color? i think part of what made skitimes so nice was the plenum matched the car. i'm thinking if i do it then looking for a polished or painted silver plenum.
LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2004 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH MAN!! That's perfect!!!!

The reason I like it with the red plenum is because the Ferraris that feature this sort of thing also have red on the engine...

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com
1988 Red Fiero Formula Convertible

tednelson83

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2004 06:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post
i currently have the ferrari style fiero fender dacals on the car. they are black with a yellow background.

i have considered going with a changed plennum color, but im still not sure.

the car will be decked out with trans am scoups on the hood and decklid, as well as in a custon design in the quarter panels.

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2004 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Now you have to make sure that whatever is under the glass is detailed to perfection.
PFF
System Bot
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2004 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
Ted, Thanks for posting the pictures, I have a similar mod I'm thinking of doing that requires an opening in the same area. The biggest challenge for me will be getting enough room for stacks to clear on right side.

------------------

Car History: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/025670.html

JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2004 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisDirect Link to This Post
*drool* that's a thing of beauty cali kid, good luck!
Crow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2004 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrowSend a Private Message to CrowDirect Link to This Post
Can Am style, Cool.

A little more modern version.

This is a Ferrari 360

tednelson83

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2004 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post
/\ ooh that last pic may inspire me to make the window bigger! /\

My engine is always detailed. I am VERY picky about that, even though this is my daily!

good luck on that, CaliforniaKid!

Philphine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2004 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
well, you've inspired me into experimenting with it (or maybe messing up a good trunk lid). i cut the section out. a guy at work had a kind of mini router so i was able to make my measurements, set the depth so i didn't cut the underframe work and cut it out in one piece relatively cleanly.

i also drilled some holes around the perimeter first so i can bolt the piece back on while i figure out what to do next. yep i did it without knowing how i plan to finish it. i want try real hard to figure out how to get it to move like a sunroof for extra venting. if i can't work it out affordably then i'll go ahead and work on a stationary piece.

[This message has been edited by Philphine (edited 07-25-2004).]

tednelson83

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2004 05:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post
i want pics!
gomobile

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2004 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gomobileSend a Private Message to gomobileDirect Link to This Post
[/QUOTE] I have been thinking of doing the same thing (glass view) for more then a year. And well since I am going to park my GT for a little while I think I going to go for it. All I need is to start cutting and then find a place that will sell me the tempered glass. Anyway does anyone have an idea on the cost for the GLASS?
Philphine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2004 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
i guess the person who knows is skitime, or possibly the person he gave the extra one he had to (i forgot who. was it capmam or or a name something like that?).

i lucked out. i thought we had plexi at work but i took a pair of channel locks and tried to chip off a corner and it bent instead. that means it's lexan dosen't it? i remember we had some of this stuff before and you could bend it like metal in a bending brake. they said that was the difference bettween lexan and plexi. anyway it seemed more durable that i thought it would be so i cut out a piece and stuck it in for now. if someone comes up with a decent tempered glass price or i've got more cash later and can seriously look into it myself i'll replace it.

two things that might be interesting, the moving glass thing i mentioned before, and more for the car show folks, what if you could get like two way glass where from the outside it was clear, but if the trunk were open it would be like those mirror kits like what chester and maybe some others have?

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2004 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Philphine:

i two things that might be interesting, the moving glass thing i mentioned before, and more for the car show folks, what if you could get like two way glass where from the outside it was clear, but if the trunk were open it would be like those mirror kits like what chester and maybe some others have?

very cool idea

i still want to see if i can window a notchback decklid ontop of the bubble (curved surface)

Iron_Mark_2003

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2004 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Iron_Mark_2003Send a Private Message to Iron_Mark_2003Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by tednelson83:

if i made a kit who would buy it?

I honestly would, shoot me a pm.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
Philphine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2004 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
well, this needs some more lab time. the lexan is warping enough that the silicone let go in about a 6" section.

where i am now...

i used a peice of about 1/8" lexan 'cause it was available to me and about the thickness of the panel i cut out and i figured it would look better flush. i used a high temp silicone and set it in with a few weights to keep it down while it dried. the car then sat for a few days so it had plenty of time to set and cure.

i drove it to work today. about 75-80deg. car warmed up normal and to about normal op temp. the trip to work is about 8mls on normal streets (no highway). by the time i got to a restaurant near work i noticed one high section around the edge. stopped and got food and checked it. then drove another mile or so to work and saw it had risen a bit more.

i was a little afraid of it cooling down warped but i had to go in. came back a couple hrs later and it had actually kind of settled in it's original position, except of course that section is no longer glued down.

so now i'm considering these options...

now i have some 1/4" lexan available that i can get a piece of (i didn't want to cut into a new sheet but some work project's been started so now it's in play). it wouldn't be flush but the extra thickness should resist warping.

i can countersink some small bolts around it. don't really want to till i know this is how i'm going to keep it and/or i give up on making it move or replacing it with glass later.

some combo of both thicker lexan and bolts.

over the couple days it's been in i really like it so iguess i'll keep playing with the idea. gotta do something anyway, the hole's there already.

------------------
Phil T.

start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can. arthur ashe

Silicoan86

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2004 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Silicoan86Send a Private Message to Silicoan86Direct Link to This Post
Looks great! Especially that one on the Ferrari!
tednelson83

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2004 04:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post
i have noticed a small spot over the X-over where the lexan has dimpled just a little, but it is not very noticible unless you know about it. i would rate mine as a success. now the sillicone calking i used to "glue" it in place is doing ok, but the stuff that i used was somewhere between 5 and 10 years old, and it was no good, so it still hasnt dried in some spots, but it is holding well. i think when i get to it, i will replace it with RTV blue.

this is my daily driver by the way. i have driven about 100-200 milesand at speeds of up to 90. the window is holding up to the beatings of daily life just fine.

------------------

1987 Pontiac Fiero 2.8 SE, 54,000 miles :( parts car RIP

tednelson83

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2004 04:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post
well it has been 3 weeks now and the thing is holding up beautifully, so i descided to go out and take more pics. i like it, but im thinking of making it bigger like on that yellow ferrari in the above pics.

gosh now i need a new sig with my gt in it, plus i need to get my ex out of there. Tip: nexer have your girlfriend in your sig, caus than it really sux when she dumps you.
------------------

1985 Pontiac Fiero 2.5 SE, 219,500 currently going under the knife to become a chopped hard top custom convertible, watch for the build up thread
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT, 140,000 miles! Cat less, decklid window, silver guages.
1987 Pontiac Fiero 2.8 SE, 54,000 miles parts car RIP

[This message has been edited by tednelson83 (edited 08-08-2004).]

Philphine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2004 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
i went ahead and switched out to the thicker lexan i also countersunk some beveled stainless steel bolts around it.

because it's been nice i've been in the convertible the last few days, so i haven't tested it yet, but this time i can't see it coming up.

for now i've kind of given up on making it move. i'm not smart enough to figure it out and i can't afford some kind of custom work right now. i think i'll go ahead and see if i can just copy skitime more and pick up one of those center rear vents from kahines (i also emailed kahines to see if they were considering a front hood vent to match. he said he's considering it but hasn't had time to develope it.)

i even cleaned up the engine some. did ya know the top of that thing is red?

The Black Widow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2004 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The Black WidowSend a Private Message to The Black WidowDirect Link to This Post
Instead of glass, I think a set of black louvers would look really sharp.?.
Iron_Mark_2003

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2004 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Iron_Mark_2003Send a Private Message to Iron_Mark_2003Direct Link to This Post
Kevin, I have yet to see any full shots of your GT.
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2004 03:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post

gosh now i need a new sig with my gt in it, plus i need to get my ex out of there. Tip: nexer have your girlfriend in your sig, caus than it really sux when she dumps you.

exact reason why i no longer have a sig...

tednelson83

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2004 05:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Iron_Mark_2003:

Kevin, I have yet to see any full shots of your GT.

ummm...how did you know my name? some of the guys from my club still call me ted!

let me hunt down some pics of the gt.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock