Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  A view to die for ( my newest mod ) (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
A view to die for ( my newest mod ) by tednelson83
Started on: 07-21-2004 08:13 AM
Replies: 83
Last post by: tednelson83 on 03-08-2005 09:16 PM
88White3.4GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2004 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTDirect Link to This Post
how much was the total cost of that mod? if you made a kit i'd buy it = )
IP: Logged
tednelson83

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2004 06:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post
like $10 but all i needed was the lexan.

it has held up beautifully to the abuse of everyday life for the last 2 months.

tednelson83

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2004 06:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post

tednelson83

1993 posts
Member since Jul 2002
BTW: anyone else have any pics or theirs? Skitime? Philphine? others?
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2004 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by tednelson83: well it has been 3 weeks now and the thing is holding up beautifully, so i descided to go out and take more pics. i like it...

This looks totally sweet. I don't know how I missed the build up but as I was reading it i was thinking that you need some counter sunk screws to hold the "glass" down. That makes it easier to replace when it gets too cloudy or scratched. This is definitely on my list of things to do.

One thing I didn't see mentioned is how did you cut the second opening only through the first layer of the decklid? A router? That's the key to making it look good in my opinion.

Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2004 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
no pics, but once i went with the thicker lexan and bolts it stayed in place right. been on a guard trip this past week but my wife hasn't mentioned anything wierd with it so i guess it's still good. i don't think i'll try it on any of the other cars though.

i also put some led guages i had in storage in view under it and that worked out pretty good too, but i still need to get to a spot to put the temp guage sender in. they seem to be taking the heat ok and i guess they're positioned well enough that driving in the rain they haven't shorted out or anything.

tednelson83

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2004 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Philphine:

no pics, but once i went with the thicker lexan and bolts it stayed in place right.

my lexan has not needed bolts at all, even with the 10 year old sillicone caulk that i used the thing is still holding up fine. the lexan does not move, or flex at all.

jscott: as i said the thing doesnt move, so i really dont need screws. if i ever need to replace it, all i do is remove the sillicone caulking.

i did all my cuts with a rotary dremmel drill with a sutting wheel. first i cut the metal shield off the bottom, than i made my cuts of the big piece from the bottom. once that was out i took a measurement of the "lip" under the decklid, and drew a line on the top to emulate that lip. i than took the dremmel, and carefully cut just deep enough to not go through both layers. there is a seperation between the layers, the layers are just glued together, i just made shallow even cuts until i made it through. it wasnt hard, and youll see once you start.

p8ntman442

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2004 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for p8ntman442Click Here to visit p8ntman442's HomePageSend a Private Message to p8ntman442Direct Link to This Post
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2004 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
just go to homedepot or lowes - they always have it in stock
TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2004 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugDirect Link to This Post
but lowes want like 30 bucks for a peice thats 16x16....

------------------
'86 Fiero GT
My Fiero XoticRydz Mid-Rear Madness

Be Excellent To Each Other" - Bill S. Preston Esquire Ted Theadore Logan

tednelson83

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2004 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post
i only paid like $10 for my sheet. lately i have been considering making the window bigger.
vamper68

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2004 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vamper68Send a Private Message to vamper68Direct Link to This Post
you should look into when you finalize your project to get a good quality sheet of pyrex glass it wont discolor warp or break very easily and would look better also setting up some louvers like the ferrari would be a nice touch
PFF
System Bot
tednelson83

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2004 02:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post
well as im sure i have stated above, the lexan has been on my daily driven ungaraged car sence july 21, and the thing has yet to break, warp, discolor, or whatever. personaly given my results with what i used i would have no problem using this stuff again. that may change after a year or so, i dont know, but im happy for now.my only gripe is that it gets those swirl mark scraches on it, and i dont like those.

as for a set of lovuers i have thought about it, but i have no i dea what i would put there. it really doesnt need any thing there due to the vents on the side. that and im not sure i want rain pooring down directly on the engine. we dont have that much rain out here, but i still dont want problems when we do get it. my car sits outside at all times. do you have any sugestions? i would love to hear your thoughts on the matter.

[This message has been edited by tednelson83 (edited 11-13-2004).]

tednelson83

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2004 02:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post

tednelson83

1993 posts
Member since Jul 2002
[double post]

[This message has been edited by tednelson83 (edited 11-13-2004).]

Philphine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2004 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
mines is still holding up. my lexan was essentially free, so even though i'd love to have it in tempered glass, i can just cut another one out if the one that's in gets too cloudy. the guages i put under it are still working too, so far withstanding heat and any moisture that might be getting to them. mine is also ungaraged.

as for vents, i've already decided i want one of the kahines vents similar to skitimes (hey, it's a good look and hard to improve on). i've even went ahead and changed my front hood to an uncut one and keep trying to put the bug in someones ear to make a matching vent for the front hood (uh... kinda like now).

tednelson83

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2004 03:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post
you got pics?
Philphine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2004 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
nope. about the best i could do is snail you one. extream low tech here.
Fiero5

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 367
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2004 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post
That looks great. You did a great job on that, congrats!
But I still find it hard to believe that Skitime was rude. Maybe just an e-mail that came accross the wrong way?
Dave is one of the nicest Fiero owners and person in general that I have ever met.

Steve

------------------

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2004 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
Looks great to me ! even BETTER than ski's (for a 2.8 that is)

------------------

98 3800SC, Getrag 5sp. only one in Austin Texas and surrounding areas

[This message has been edited by revin (edited 11-15-2004).]

tednelson83

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2004 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero5:

That looks great. You did a great job on that, congrats!
But I still find it hard to believe that Skitime was rude. Maybe just an e-mail that came accross the wrong way?
Dave is one of the nicest Fiero owners and person in general that I have ever met.

Steve

well that could be, but i pm'ed him, and he didn't seem very nice to me, or willing to help me out in any way shape or form. i guess he could have been having a bad day. do i think any less of him? ... no. he still diserves respect, and i did not intend to offend him.

[This message has been edited by tednelson83 (edited 11-15-2004).]

skitime

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 332
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2004 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

Judge for yourself. Now as far as being rude????? Do you guys realize how many emails I get from guys wanting to know how I made things. Sometime I have time to answer and sometimes I am in a hurry. Sometime I get some serious attitude (Revin is a good example - see History of Skitmes car) if they do not get the answer they expected. I am getting real tired of people using my ideas and not even giving any credit when they copy it. (Not the case in this thread by the way but notice the first post of this thread.) Some are even selling my designs without ever mentioning where the design came from. So maybe I am just getting tired of all the crap that comes from being the one people try to copy. Sorry for the rant.

------------------

Red 88 GT T-Top 3800 INTERCOOLED SUPERCHARGED
White 88 GT Stock
Please give me a rating if you appreciate my contribution.
Click here to read the History of Skitimes Car

[This message has been edited by skitime (edited 11-15-2004).]

stimpy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 386
User Banned

Report this Post11-15-2004 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stimpySend a Private Message to stimpyDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by stimpy (edited 11-15-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
revin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2004 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skitime:

Sometime I get some serious attitude (Revin is a good example - see History of Skitmes car) if they do not get the answer they expected.

First... I have deleted my bad parts in you thread! AND said my sorries to you and the forum, out of respect for you Ski ? I don't know, maybe I'm just growing up a bit more.I don't know. who cares right! Please drop it.

Second... I was NOT trying to copy anything from you, More like "learn" the process of the 3800sc swap THAT IS ALL. You know as well as I that back then Loyde and Darth did NOT have all the needed info on these swaps. therefor I asked the "few" that did know ( you and a few on the yahoo 3800 fourm) about the wiring and a bracket or two no copying here maybe something "close" but not JUST to copy your GREAT work.

Sorry for the interruption.

------------------

98 3800SC, Getrag 5sp. only one in Austin Texas and surrounding areas

[This message has been edited by revin (edited 11-16-2004).]

Will-Martin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2004 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Will-MartinClick Here to visit Will-Martin's HomePageSend a Private Message to Will-MartinDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by Will-Martin (edited 11-16-2004).]

skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2004 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post
Will-Martin if you would look at the first page of my history thread you would see I posted a pic of the car you posted and gave credit for the idea to them. So that blows your whole premise that I do not give credit for where I get my ideas. Shocks are stock?? Wheels ??? Not sure where you going with that. Seems like a pretty lame argument there.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/025998.html

I never said to anyone that they can not copy my ideas. It is just not appreciated when they present them later as if they were their own idea. Again that is not what I am suggesting about this thread.

So are you suggesting I am a troll? Hmmm, Guess I don't understand that term since I was mentioned in this tread and you were not and are not involved with this mod. Guess it must mean the opposite I thought it did. Thanks for pointing that out.

justa6

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2004 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justa6Send a Private Message to justa6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will-Martin:

APC!! You should post on their forum and tell them how tired you are of people copying your ideas and not giving you credit. And for a Civic no less!!!
Because we are really, REALLY tired of hearing about it.

hey, that is NOT a civic. that is a V6 for an Accord.

on the topic though, i really like this idea of showing off the motor. good job!

------------------

the unfortunate history of my GT here

Fiero5

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 367
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2004 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post
Holy crap! Now we have people ragging on SkiTime? Geeze, what the hecks wrong with this picture?
Come on people, lets please stop all the infighting now and get back to enjoying this forum again and all the great members we have on here as well as all the great ideas. Not to mention all the Fieros we all have or will have

Steve

skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2004 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post

Please drop it.

Revin, Perhaps it is you that should drop it. I go into threads that have nothing to do with me and you are there putting in little snide remarks about me. I don't feel like spending the time trying to find them. I am sure others could point them out. It gets real tiring. This is the one you did in this thread.

Here is one you did in a thread about lighted horn button emblems. As you know I could go on and on and on. So perhaps you should drop it and worry about your own little world and leave me out of it.

QUICK !!! Someone tell Skitime!!!!! LOL He may want a set for his speaker coversj/k

Here is one that is actually about speaker covers.

Looks nice !
So Skitime, What are you going to do to keep them from fadeing THIS time??
maybe a windshield cover (one side cloth) made out a bunch of the fiero emblems all over the place ?? Or even SKITIME writen here and there on it????

Yeah I know...who listens to revin....

People are alway pointing your little remarks out. I never went out and attacked your car or your ideas. So what is your problem anyway.

[This message has been edited by skitime (edited 11-16-2004).]

Will-Martin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2004 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Will-MartinClick Here to visit Will-Martin's HomePageSend a Private Message to Will-MartinDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by Will-Martin (edited 11-16-2004).]

revin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2004 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
pm coming to ya Ski
tednelson83

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2004 02:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post

Judge for yourself. Now as far as being rude????? Do you guys realize how many emails I get from guys wanting to know how I made things. Sometime I have time to answer and sometimes I am in a hurry. Sometime I get some serious attitude (Revin is a good example - see History of Skitmes car) if they do not get the answer they expected. I am getting real tired of people using my ideas and not even giving any credit when they copy it. (Not the case in this thread by the way but notice the first post of this thread.) Some are even selling my designs without ever mentioning where the design came from. So maybe I am just getting tired of all the crap that comes from being the one people try to copy. Sorry for the rant.

ski, i totaly understand your position. frankly i probably would not like it either. notice though that i never tryed to take the idea as my own. in fact i always thought it would be cool, and your car inspired me to make the first cut. actualy it was that pic you just posted that made my mind up. i was not trying to talk down to you, or put you down, or whatever. i did not mean my comments as a flame to you.

anyway, i think im changing it to more closely resemble the one on the new Ford GT im cutting it bigger to go over the whole engine, and doing a ferrari-like vent on the sides like the car on page one.

skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2004 04:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post
tednelson83, I am sorry I came across as rude. That was not my nature as most people can attest. I do not have a problem with you doing the mod in any way. Perhaps I am just getting jaded by all the crap that comes at me from a few folks, none of which were ever attacked by me. I will try to be more careful.
PFF
System Bot
tednelson83

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2004 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post
i have a lot of respect for people like you, kameo kid, California Kid, Mad Curl, and others. your cars are inspireing, and i and others aspire to build our cars up the lever you guys have. trust me, i have some ideas for my cars that have never been done before. but i am just starting out, and some times taking someone elses idea and developing on it is the way to best get started. this is what i have done, and will most likely continue to do for a little longer until im confident enough to do a one off. i am only 21 after all!
Songman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2004 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
tednelson... is for you!

You gave a great response to diffuse a situation that could have turned ugly fast. 21 or 91, you did good.

------------------

Fiero-Performance.com
2nd Annual California Coast Run

tednelson83

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2004 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post
well i am not here to cause trouble. i hae been on this forun sence 2002, and i love this place even in the shadow of recent events. this has been a great place. anyway, that is just the way i am.
SCCA FIERO

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2004 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIERODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tednelson83:

i have a lot of respect for people like you, kameo kid, California Kid, Mad Curl, and others. your cars are inspireing, and i and others aspire to build our cars up the lever you guys have.

Not me! I hate these guys for their cars. Simply because theirs looks as good as they do and mine never will

tednelson83

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2004 02:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post
well why dont you make it nice.
Philphine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2004 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post

hmmm... bigger window. what if you cut out all the section including the area where this rear vent is and the area bettween the it and the glass? then instead of trying to make another vent, extend the side vents so they end further down the trunk. took a quick measurement and you can go about another 5" before you you get to the trunk.

extending the vents would be the hard part (and cutting up a gt trunk experimenting. hate to mess one up), as far as how. i can see finding a damaged set and cutiing all the slats out so you just have the "frame" of the vents. then you can extend the frame and replace the slats with something like perforated stainless steel. if you can work out adding slats to the extened part and match them up good, then that won't be nessesary.

just tossing out ideas.

tednelson83

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2004 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post
ill have to have that come thought and do some drawings. does any one know photoshop? please mock it either on my car or on ski's.
tednelson83

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2004 04:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post
figured i'd bump this, just for fun. the window is still doing just dandy!
NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2004 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

{snickers} Damn troublemakers......

------------------
"EuroSmooth Fiberglass Products"
Side Skirts

~GTStyle(Feb. 15th hopefully)
~Coupe Style (March 15th hopefully)
Sidescoops
~A.K.Plasma (March 1st hopefully)

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)