Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Official 2011 Stanley Cup prediction thread (Page 4)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
Official 2011 Stanley Cup prediction thread by Patrick
Started on: 04-13-2011 03:29 PM
Replies: 159
Last post by: doublec4 on 06-16-2011 07:53 AM
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2011 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:
Heh heh, remember this from a few months ago. It's going to be sweet when the Canucks sink the Sharks.

Uh...yeah...but I don't care as much about hockey as you probably do. If the Sharks lose, I'll be mad for about 5 minutes. I wouldn't want to be near you if the Canucks blow it.

IP: Logged
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2011 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

I wouldn't want to be near you if the Canucks blow it.

I'm more concerned about my dad. He's 91 years old, and I go over to his place to watch the Canucks games when I can, especially in the playoffs. Anytime the Canucks gets scored on, he acts like he's going to have a stroke!

It would be nice if the Canucks could win it all this year. My dad's been waiting 40 years for this, and although he's in pretty good shape, he may not be around long enough for the Canucks to make another run at the Cup.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2011 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

I'm more concerned about my dad. He's 91 years old, and I go over to his place to watch the Canucks games when I can, especially in the playoffs. Anytime the Canucks gets scored on, he acts like he's going to have a stroke!

It would be nice if the Canucks could win it all this year. My dad's been waiting 40 years for this, and although he's in pretty good shape, he may not be around long enough for the Canucks to make another run at the Cup.

I know what you're saying. My dad was a Cubs fan. Talk about frustration!

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2011 02:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

In game 3, the Sharks defeated the Canucks 4-3 and now trail the Canucks 2-1 in the series. The Sharks power play was deadly, and after way too many undisciplined penalties, the Canucks found themselves behind 3-0 before making a game of it. Game 4 is a nooner on Sunday.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2011 03:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

In game 4 of their series, the Canucks built up a 4-0 lead before defeating the Sharks 4-2 in San Jose. The game was noteworthy as the Canucks scored 3 times on 3 different 5-on-3 power plays, which was an NHL postseason record for most 5-on-3 goals ever scored in a single playoff game. The Canucks now lead the series 3-1 with game 5 to be played in Vancouver on Tuesday.

5 more victories to go.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2011 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
It looks like the second year in a row the Sharks have run into a "buzzsaw", i.e., a team that seems to have it all together and be a team of "destiny", like the Blackhawks last year. Not much you can do when they are outplaying you and/or are on a roll all they way to the cup.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2011 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

It looks like the second year in a row the Sharks have run into a "buzzsaw", i.e., a team that seems to have it all together and be a team of "destiny", like the Blackhawks last year. Not much you can do when they are outplaying you and/or are on a roll all they way to the cup.

The series isn't over yet, the Sharks are a good team. But yeah, the Canucks seem to be rolling right along, the same way they were during the regular season. Doesn't even seem to matter when players get injured. In game three against the Sharks, two of the Canuck's top six defencemen were knocked out of the game. Two replacement defencemen (one of which was a rookie) were brought in for game four, and the Canucks carried on without missing a beat. Depth of talent has made a HUGE difference this year.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-24-2011).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2011 03:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

What a game!

With their goalie pulled for an extra attacker, the Vancouver Canucks scored with 13 seconds left in regulation time to tie the score 2-2 with the San Jose Sharks to send game 5 into overtime. With one of the weirdest goals you'll ever see (or not see), the Canucks scored in the second period of overtime to knock the Sharks out of the playoffs, defeating them 4 games to 1.

No one watching the game on TV initially saw what happened on the winning goal (until seeing replays from different angles). The puck was shot up along the glass into the Sharks zone from the Sharks blue line by the Canucks right D-man. On TV the puck seemed to disappear up and out of play. Most of the players on the ice thought the same thing, as almost nobody knew where the puck was. The next thing everyone saw was the puck in the Sharks net with the Sharks goalie looking the wrong way. It turned out that the puck hit a "stanchion" between a couple panels of the side glass and bounced straight back to the Shark blue line in the middle of the ice. The Canucks left D-man (Bieksa) just happened to be at the right place at the right time and flubbed a bouncing puck from the blue line directly into the net. Very strange goal.

Now to sit back and see who comes out of the Boston Bruins/Tampa Bay Lightning series. Hope it goes to 7 games... 7 very rough games. The Canucks could use the extra days off to nurse a few injuries.

4 more victories to go.
ace35

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2011 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ace35Send a Private Message to ace35Direct Link to This Post
WOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2011 02:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ace35:

WOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I take it you're a Bruins fan.

Bring 'em on, bring on the big bad Boston Bruins! The Vancouver Canucks are waiting...

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 02:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Man oh man, let's get this show on the road. It's been 8 days since the Canucks last played!
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 02:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post
Now that was an exciting way to end a game!

With 19 seconds left in a 0-0 game, the Vancouver Canucks scored to defeat the Boston Bruins 1-0 in game 1 of the Stanley Cup finals here in Vancouver. It took almost two periods before there was any flow in the game due to multiple penalties to both teams, but it appeared that the Bruins were having trouble with the faster skating Canucks. Both goalies played well, but the Bruins stopper held them in the game.

Here's Torres beating Thomas with seconds left on the clock...

3 more victories to go.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-02-2011).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
Seriously... I am grouchy about this season... four division championships in a row... but still no Stanley Cup... after decades and decades... never a Stanley Cup win... ???

EDIT: Hah... sorry, I was talking about the Washington Capitals... (I didn't exactly make that obvious).

[This message has been edited by 82-T/A [At Work] (edited 06-02-2011).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

... after decades and decades... never a Stanley Cup win... ???

Correct. The Vancouver Canucks have been in the league since 1970, and have never won the Cup. This year however, it's finally their turn.

Hah... sorry, I was talking about the Washington Capitals...

The Washington Capitals have been in the league since 1974, and have never won the Cup. This year, it still wasn't their turn.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Correct. The Vancouver Canucks have been in the league since 1970, and have never won the Cup. This year however, it's finally their turn.

The Washington Capitals have been in the league since 1974, and have never won the Cup. This year, it still wasn't their turn.

Damn... that's a long time. Well, I don't like the Bruins... (was more a Hartford Whaler's fan back in the day), so I'll give you a free "bump" for the Canucks.

I used to go to the CAPS games way back in the day... I have a bunch of signed sticks from guys like Langway, and stuff... I used to love going to those games. I watch the Panthers games down here... but I'm not really a fan. It's a lonely walk back to my car when the Panthers play the Capitals... especially when the Capitals win.

One day...

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Damn... that's a long time.

Tell me about it. There haven't been a whole lot of Canucks games over the last 40 years that I haven't either watched on TV or listened to on the radio. And there have been plenty of dismal seasons in years past. Oh how I used to suffer...

So you can see why I'm just a little bit excited about the Canucks during this playoff run.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Tell me about it. There haven't been a whole lot of Canucks games over the last 40 years that I haven't either watched on TV or listened to on the radio. And there have been plenty of dismal seasons in years past. Oh how I used to suffer...

So you can see why I'm just a little bit excited about the Canucks during this playoff run.

Good luck... I hope it goes in your favor!!!

...but know this... when you guys come to Caps territory... (or Panther territory for that matter, hahah...), the gauntlet drops...
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2011 03:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Canucks keep right on rolling along...

The Vancouver Canucks came from behind on Saturday night to tie the Boston Bruins in the third period, and then 11 seconds into overtime, yes 11 seconds, Alex Burrows scored the winning goal (from behind the net) in a 3-2 Vancouver victory. The Canucks now lead the series 2-0.

Vancouver fans are getting a little excited now. Should be an exciting game 3 in Boston on Monday.

2 more victories to go.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Boston defeated Vancouver by a converted touchdown in a 8-1 embarrassment. The less said about this game the better.

The Canucks still lead the Stanley Cup finals over the Bruins 2-1. Game 4 in Boston on Wednesday.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2011 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Well, this is starting to suck...

Boston again embarrassed Vancouver by shutting out the Canucks 4-0 in game 4. The series, tied 2-2, returns to Vancouver on Friday for game 5.

If the Canucks don't get their much vaunted powerplay going, they're done. The larger Bruins will simply pound, punch, slash, hack the Canucks into submission if they don't end up having to pay while shorthanded.

I haven't given up on the Canucks, not at all, but they obviously need to bounce back big-time after these last two games.
Robert 2

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2011 06:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
Since the beginnig of the final
Boston 14 total goals , average = 3.50 goals by game for the 4 games.
Canucks 5 total goals , average 1.25 goals by game for the 4 games
I'm not a fan of either club , just showing the facts .
In my opinion Canucks is the team of the year , but the Bruins goalie is making the difference .

[This message has been edited by Robert 2 (edited 06-10-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2011 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Robert 2:

Boston 14 average = 3.50
Canucks 5 average 1.25

Robert, your post is rather cryptic. What is it you're saying exactly?

Robert 2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2011 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
Boston 14 total goals , average = 3.50 goals by game for the 4 games.
Canucks 5 total goals , average 1.25 goals by game for the 4 games
I'm not a fan of either club , just showing the facts .
In my opinion Canucks is the team of the year , but the Bruins goalie is making the difference .

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2011 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Ah, it's goal averages you're discussing. Okay, gotcha.

I wouldn't read too much into these averages over four games. A couple of blowouts certainly skews the data.

Total goals, or the highest average number of goals per game aren't critically important. I'd be delighted if the Canucks win the next two out of three games by 1-0 scores, but yes, overall Tim Thomas has certainly been playing well for the Bruins.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2011 03:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

After being shell-shocked for 12 goals in two games in Boston, Roberto Luongo and the rest of the Canucks turned their game around and shut out the Bruins 1-0 in game 5 in Vancouver. The game was hard hitting, especially by the Canucks, but devoid of most of the chippiness evident in the previous couple of games.

An excited Maxim Lapierre celebrates after scoring the game's lone goal...

The Canucks now lead the Bruins 3-2 in the series with game 6 to be played in Boston on Monday.

One more victory to go. Yes, one more victory to go.
Xyster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2011 04:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XysterSend a Private Message to XysterDirect Link to This Post
I truly want the Canucks to win but I foresee a bruins victory in game 7.
Robert 2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2011 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
Well Patrick , you said it, it only takes one goal to make the dif .

[This message has been edited by Robert 2 (edited 06-11-2011).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2011 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xyster:

I truly want the Canucks to win but I foresee a bruins victory in game 7.

Well then, the Canucks better wrap it up in six!

The series is too close to call, but the Canucks have shown great resiliency all season. Someone steps up and the job gets done.

Whichever team wins the Cup this year, they're going to deserve it!
jetman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2011 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
There is something really strange, even to this old time hockey lover, about the season going into the middle of the summer, almost up the the summer solstice. Training camp starts in less than 3 months, right?
Fierfly

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2011 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierflySend a Private Message to FierflyDirect Link to This Post
I just hope to see the Cup return to Canada...

If the 'Canes are out, and the Red Wings are out, then GO Canucks!

------------------
A good man is hard to find...but a good Fiero mechanic is "rare".

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2011 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post
In what has to be one of the weirdest Stanley Cup final series ever, the Boston Bruins defeated the Vancouver Canucks 5-2 in game 6 to tie the series 3-3. Game 7 will be in Vancouver on Wednesday.

Each team has won all their home games in the series. The Bruins have humiliated the Canucks in Boston, outscoring them about 100 to 3, while the Canucks have shut out the Bruins in two of the three games in Vancouver. Thank gawd the final game is in Vancouver. The Canucks still have an opportunity of pulling this series out of the fire.

I gotta say though, I have not enjoyed all the hacking and slashing going on by both teams before, during, and after every whistle. What the hell are the refs looking at? It's cheapening the sport and I'm ashamed of how it's portraying the game of hockey. It's supposed to be a game of speed and finesse and yes, grit. However, it's not about punching the league's top scorer in the head at least half a dozen times when the game is all but over while the ref stands there and makes no call. Bush league crap.

Anyway, it all wraps up tomorrow. Will Luongo be a sieve... or will he be a world class goalie? Game 7 could very well make or break his career, or at the very least, determine his future in Vancouver.

It's all come down to one game, one last game to determine the Stanley Cup champions for 2011. The Canucks demonstrated during the regular season that they were the number one team in the NHL. The reward for doing so was getting home ice advantage in the playoffs. In what has to be the greatest understatement of this entire thread, tomorrow would be an excellent time for the Vancouver Canucks to make the best use of that earned advantage.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-15-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
Patrick's Dad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2011 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Patrick's DadClick Here to visit Patrick's Dad's HomePageSend a Private Message to Patrick's DadDirect Link to This Post
Quick bump.

How's LeBruongo donig?
newf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2011 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

Bring 'em on, bring on the big bad Boston Bruins! The Vancouver Canucks are waiting...

How do you like dem apples?
maryjane

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2011 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
oh well, there's always curling.
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
... and now for the rioting in Vancouver
thismanyfieros

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosDirect Link to This Post
well i made money on the outcome...anyone else???
maryjane

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

... and now for the rioting in Vancouver

Wow--I thought you were joking. Down here ya see--they usually only riot if you WIN.

http://www.nytimes.com/apon...tw-nytimes&seid=auto

Parked cars were set on fire, others were tipped over and people threw beer bottles at giant television screens following the Vancouver Canucks' 4-0 loss to the Boston Bruins on Wednesday night in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals.

If it happens on ice and it involves hitting and scoring, The Times's Slap Shot blog is on it.

People chanted obscenities and some leaped over raging bonfires as riot police moved in to try to restore order in the downtown streets strewn with garbage and filled with acrid smoke. Flames shot about 10 yards into the air off the cars and some bystanders tossed firecrackers.

The chaos was reminiscent of a similar scene that erupted in the city in 1994 following the Canucks' Game 7 loss to the New York Rangers.

Patrick Fleming, 15, said a small group took out its anger on cars in the game's dying moments, flipping over two vehicles and setting one on fire.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 06-16-2011).]

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

One more victory to go. Yes, one more victory to go.

don't say it, don't say it, don't say it...

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 04:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

The Boston Bruins defeated the Vancouver Canucks 4-0 in game 7 to win the Stanley Cup for 2010-2011. Boston was full value for the victory, not only in this game, but in the series as well. Congrats to the Bruins, Stanley Cup champs.

After the game I watched the news for the next three hours as rampaging punks swarmed the downtown core of Vancouver leaving a path of destruction. Overturned cars burned in the streets, and smashed and looted stores were left in the wake of this disgusting demonstration of criminal activity. These were not simply disappointed hockey fans.

I can't believe the city would think it was a good idea to invite 100,000 people to watch the game downtown on giant screens without a heavy police presence. Gawd damn ridiculous.

I watched the game on TV at my dad's place which is a few miles from where the game was played. I took the following picture from his high-rise suite. You can see the haze over the downtown core from the burning cars. Bloody embarrassing for the world to see this freakin' nonsense.

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Wow--I thought you were joking. Down here ya see--they usually only riot if you WIN.

Nope, I guess we're a bunch of crazies up here lol. Raise our taxes, gouge us with insanely high gas prices and we'll politely take it. Lose the Stanley Cup finals and we're burnin this motherf***er down.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock