Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  NCTyphoonKid's back to stock build thread (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
Previous Page | Next Page
NCTyphoonKid's back to stock build thread by NCTyphoonKid
Started on: 07-11-2010 01:33 PM
Replies: 225
Last post by: NCTyphoonKid on 11-19-2012 06:41 PM
NCTyphoonKid

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2010 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NCTyphoonKidSend a Private Message to NCTyphoonKidDirect Link to This Post
Well figured I would start a build thread for the 3.4 motor I'm putting in my car. Since the 2.8 finally spun a bearing or something(haven't pulled the pan on it yet) but the 2.8 didn't have much longer with the knocking and noises it was making.Anyway pretty much all of yesterday me and my buddy went to two junkyards with no luck for finding a engine we decided to call it quits and return home,well I came home and started looking around on CL and found a guy parting out a 93 Firebird with a 3.4.Anyway I got this great running 3.4 out of a 93 Firebird with a 5 speed at a deal I couldn't pass up.Pics to follow of the lucky engine thats going in my car and a few of the donor car.
How to pull motor mount bolts and trans bolts lol

engines coming out

Engine out an at home

Tomorrow i'm getting a engine stand from John (Fiero Redux) and can start working on it.
Not using the 3.4 engine anymore
------------------
Korey "Plastic Makes It Possible"
86 Pontiac Fiero SE gold on black options incl luggage rack,power windows,power door locks,sunroof,4 spd,body colored wheels
86 Fiero sport coupe 2.5 4cyl/5speed
86 Fiero GT black,grey ground effects (in pieces)
86 Buick Grand National bone stock
93 GMC Typhoon #1710 black on black bone stock

[This message has been edited by NCTyphoonKid (edited 12-28-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
L67

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 219
User Banned

Report this Post07-11-2010 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post
I have a toolbox just like that.
NCTyphoonKid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2010 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NCTyphoonKidSend a Private Message to NCTyphoonKidDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by L67:

I have a toolbox just like that.

lol I was going to get 3800 but pretty much all the ones at PAP had the oil fill caps taken off of them l;etting water and trash get in the engines.
L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-11-2010 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post
I told you one week was a long time in junkyard relativity.
NCTyphoonKid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2010 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NCTyphoonKidSend a Private Message to NCTyphoonKidDirect Link to This Post

I told you one week was a long time in junkyard relativity.

Yea I know lol.I'm still trying to figure out why they leave the oil caps off on some of there engines though

[This message has been edited by NCTyphoonKid (edited 07-11-2010).]

L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-11-2010 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post
People walk down the rows and pull them off to check for oil buildup and grime, then forget to put them back on.
NCTyphoonKid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2010 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NCTyphoonKidSend a Private Message to NCTyphoonKidDirect Link to This Post

People walk down the rows and pull them off to check for oil buildup and grime, then forget to put them back on.

True or they leave them off when they drain the fluids
L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-11-2010 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post
Go watch the staging lanes, they don't drain oil from the valve covers.
NCTyphoonKid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2010 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NCTyphoonKidSend a Private Message to NCTyphoonKidDirect Link to This Post

Go watch the staging lanes, they don't drain oil from the valve covers.

True

L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-11-2010 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post
I just realized this was your build thread. Sorry about the single sentence floods. Get back to work.
NCTyphoonKid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2010 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NCTyphoonKidSend a Private Message to NCTyphoonKidDirect Link to This Post
Been tearing the engine apart on the 3.4 getting it ready for a good cleaning.
PFF
System Bot
HausFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2010 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HausFieroSend a Private Message to HausFieroDirect Link to This Post
I'll be watching this thread

p.s. U shoulda cut those hood vents out too while u were there, I could see them lookin pretty cool on a fiero
bigals

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2010 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bigalsSend a Private Message to bigalsDirect Link to This Post
Korey what was on the other end of the chain...eric....that is a unique way to do trans mounts....
NCTyphoonKid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2010 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NCTyphoonKidSend a Private Message to NCTyphoonKidDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bigals:

Korey what was on the other end of the chain...eric....that is a unique way to do trans mounts....

I assume you mean when it's on its side? A 4x4 80 something chevy blazer

NCTyphoonKid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2010 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NCTyphoonKidSend a Private Message to NCTyphoonKidDirect Link to This Post
Today I got the 3.4 on the stand(Thanks John) Got the heads pulled off and the cylinder walls look pretty good.

[This message has been edited by NCTyphoonKid (edited 07-12-2010).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2010 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Sure got it torn apart pretty quick, let's see how fast you can get it in and running

Swapping over all the 2.8 parts, or converting it to use a 7730 ECM and DIS? I vote for the latter

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

Fiero redux

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2010 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero reduxSend a Private Message to Fiero reduxDirect Link to This Post
I think he's planning to swap over the 2.8 stuff.
John
L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-12-2010 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post
7730 would be better.
NCTyphoonKid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2010 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NCTyphoonKidSend a Private Message to NCTyphoonKidDirect Link to This Post
I'm using pretty much all of my 2.8 parts.I thought about doing 7730 but wanted to keep my new distributor parts I've put on and I don't want to do any serious wiring.
L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-12-2010 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post
The 7730 upgrade is minimal wiring if anything. If you're not comfortable with it, pay me to build you something. I've heard that with only the addition of the newer computer, the car felt a decade newer. I'd seriously consider this if I was you, now's the time to do it.
NCTyphoonKid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2010 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NCTyphoonKidSend a Private Message to NCTyphoonKidDirect Link to This Post

The 7730 upgrade is minimal wiring if anything. If you're not comfortable with it, pay me to build you something. I've heard that with only the addition of the newer computer, the car felt a decade newer. I'd seriously consider this if I was you, now's the time to do it.

I'll think about it
PFF
System Bot
NCTyphoonKid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2010 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NCTyphoonKidSend a Private Message to NCTyphoonKidDirect Link to This Post
Today I got the two cradle bolts the back ones (near the exhaust tips) loosen up.I'm hoping to have the cradle,engine,trans and etc pulled out by Sunday.Still need to unhook the shifter cables,run the wiring through the firewall, undo the coolant hoses, get the other two cradle bolts ready to go and a few other things pics within the next few days!
NCTyphoonKid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2010 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NCTyphoonKidSend a Private Message to NCTyphoonKidDirect Link to This Post

NCTyphoonKid

1277 posts
Member since Jun 2008
When I start reassembling the 3.4 what injectors should I use the Firebird ones or the stock Fiero Injectors I know I'll have to use the stock fiero fuel rail for the cold start.
NCTyphoonKid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2010 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NCTyphoonKidSend a Private Message to NCTyphoonKidDirect Link to This Post

NCTyphoonKid

1277 posts
Member since Jun 2008
Also if I did the 7730 ecm can I use my stock distributor?
L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-15-2010 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post
Use the 3.4 injectors if planning on a 7730 upgrade. Use the 2.8 injectors if using the stock computer.

Originally posted by NCTyphoonKid:

Also if I did the 7730 ecm can I use my stock distributor?

If you use the $88 code mask, yes.
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2010 02:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Please use the 7730 and DIS. You will thank yourself later.
L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-16-2010 02:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post
John is right, per usual. Although I'm not sure you're prepared to use DIS.

[This message has been edited by L67 (edited 07-16-2010).]

mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2010 03:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

Please use the 7730 and DIS. You will thank yourself later.

Yea, I have this setup. I'm still having some idle/fuel issues but i'm sure it'll just take some tweaking. The DIS coils/electronics generate a stronger spark and are a lot more durable/reliable then the factory stuff. It also cleans the look of engine bay up quite a bit.
Wiring changes to the 7730 aren't that hard, changing to DIS only makes it a tiny bit harder, not that big of a deal. You are going to need to use that EGR that came with that 3.4 if you want to use an EGR, the factory vacuum one won't work.
Here is my engine.

Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2010 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

Jeez, I learn something new every time I log in here. NOW I see how to route those damn plug wires so they don't look like an afterthought! Nice engine, man!!

NCTyphoonKid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2010 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NCTyphoonKidSend a Private Message to NCTyphoonKidDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info guys!
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2010 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post

You are going to need to use that EGR that came with that 3.4 if you want to use an EGR, the factory vacuum one won't work.

Worth it just for this, lol. That stupid code 32 has pissed me off more than a few times..
PFF
System Bot
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2010 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

Worth it just for this, lol. That stupid code 32 has pissed me off more than a few times..

Yea, my Dad's GT has that problem pop up every time on the highway. I removed my EGR system totally so no problems for me. Hope it passes emissions.
L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-16-2010 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post

Hope it passes emissions.

Ermm... yeah, good luck with that.
Midnight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2010 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidnightSend a Private Message to MidnightDirect Link to This Post

Ermm... yeah, good luck with that.

Collector Plates. FTW
L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-16-2010 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post
No emissions testing on OBDI cars in North Carolina FTW.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post07-16-2010 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

No emissions testing on OBDI cars in North Carolina FTW.

They don't have e-Check in all parts of Ohio any more either. It's only in some parts of the north near Cleveland, and some counties around Columbus. I think they had trouble keeping it running, vs. money made from the eCheck itself and whatever other taxes there are that went toward it.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2010 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Midnight:

Collector Plates. FTW

Yea, I could do that, but if it has collector plates it can't be a daily driver, which mine is (my only car).

Originally posted by dobey:

They don't have e-Check in all parts of Ohio any more either. It's only in some parts of the north near Cleveland, and some counties around Columbus. I think they had trouble keeping it running, vs. money made from the eCheck itself and whatever other taxes there are that went toward it.

They still got it in Lorain county.
NCTyphoonKid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2010 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NCTyphoonKidSend a Private Message to NCTyphoonKidDirect Link to This Post
Got the front cradle bolts ready to come out (Thanks Galen) Hoping to have the motor out either today or tomorrow
NCTyphoonKid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2010 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NCTyphoonKidSend a Private Message to NCTyphoonKidDirect Link to This Post
Today is the day I hope almost have the engine ready to come out pics soon
NCTyphoonKid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2010 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NCTyphoonKidSend a Private Message to NCTyphoonKidDirect Link to This Post

NCTyphoonKid

1277 posts
Member since Jun 2008
the motor is out

[This message has been edited by NCTyphoonKid (edited 07-19-2010).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors