Vector kit by fieroboy_gt
Started on: 11-07-2007 11:28 AM
Replies: 123
Last post by: fieroboy_gt on 02-19-2013 03:48 PM
fieroboy_gt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2007 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboy_gtSend a Private Message to fieroboy_gtDirect Link to This Post
I was just wondering if anyone has ever heard of anyone making a Vector based fiero kit. I dont see what would be so hard about it if they do lambo kits an what just wondering

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2007 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinDirect Link to This Post
I met Jerry Wiegart. The originator of the Vector. I negotiated with him during my time at Chrysler Corp. to get one of his cars into our Norther Calif. dealerships. I sat in the car but did not drive it. I suppose a handy creative guy (Archy? ) could get something resembling the Vector built. All Vectors were built with auto tranny's on the LEFT side of driver. There are so many engineering obstacles to overcome. I don't have time to cover them all. They have recently started to build them again. That is what Jerry told me last August in Pebble Beach.

Cordially,
Kevin J. Sullivan
fieroboy_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2007 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboy_gtSend a Private Message to fieroboy_gtDirect Link to This Post
the vector has always been the car of my dreams. It was the whole reason I bought my first fiero 9 years ago. Ive always loved the body shape an design I saw some computer mock ups of what the newer vectors that there trying to engineer are looking like an I Love them I like the w8 the best thou always been a big fan. I wish top gear or some other car show could get a hold of one an test run them an what not. The show is always saying that there is no such thing as a true american supercar well there it is a vector an I bet it would be like a dream to drive an what not I saw one on ebay a while back the was selling for a little over 500,000 If only I was rich.

I think this car looks awsome. I love the sharp none smooth lines

[This message has been edited by fieroboy_gt (edited 11-07-2007).]

FierociousGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2007 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post
Wow that looks like the F22 Raptor.... Me Likey... Competition for the Lambo Reventón.

EDIT:
Dude that's not real. Thats some 3D concept.

This is a Vector W8 Redesign. I called it Tribun as tribute to the original W8. My point of view was a 2007 W8, so it looks like an actual design. The engine could be the Audi Q7 V8 Tdi or the next coming V12 Tdi. I think it is a very interesting idea and I am interested in knowing how fast it could be.

http://www.seriouswheels.co...y-Stefan-Schulze.htm

Don't let Curly & Troy see this... They may get ideas!

[This message has been edited by FierociousGT (edited 11-07-2007).]

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2007 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Another Audi engine in an exotic

Hopefully this Vector will make more of an impact than the last batch.

On a side note: Wish they would do another McLaren F1. The way the original was built, center seating position, engine behind the driver, and all.. I heard they're making a successor to the F1, but it doesn't have the above.

-M
fieroboy_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2007 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboy_gtSend a Private Message to fieroboy_gtDirect Link to This Post
yea I know its a computer design but it is the idea that there working with an I think that it is crazy good. I like the design better than the lambo an what not. I still like the classic w8 twin turbo model. the m12 model was cool too. looking forward to seeing if they really are going to start making another vector model. an if so that pic would be great for a body desgin. If madcurl an those guys could fabricate any of the two Id pay for them. there'd be better than a lambo kit
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2007 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
It looks kinda '80's though.. Just my opinion. Not that that's a bad thing :-p
The Reventon looks modern at the same time. (wish Lamborghini would go back to the Miura roots though. That is a sweet timeless car.)
fieroboy_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2007 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboy_gtSend a Private Message to fieroboy_gtDirect Link to This Post
yea the lambos are nice an all that but just think you get a frame strech tube renforced a street dreams latitudaly mount engine convertion kit. A super built 350 twin turbo with a tornado tranny hooked up to it an a vector w 8 wigert twin turbo body kit. It would be the same car almost. yea it wouldnt be exact but thats what the power plant to the wigert was an back in the early 90's they were saying the vector was a 200 mhp car with a chevy motor an a cadi tranny. it would be the ultimate Kit car. so close to the original an with a interior kit it would be so close.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2009 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kevin:

I met Jerry Wiegart. The originator of the Vector. I negotiated with him during my time at Chrysler Corp. to get one of his cars into our Norther Calif. dealerships. I sat in the car but did not drive it. I suppose a handy creative guy (Archy? ) could get something resembling the Vector built. All Vectors were built with auto tranny's on the LEFT side of driver. There are so many engineering obstacles to overcome. I don't have time to cover them all. They have recently started to build them again. That is what Jerry told me last August in Pebble Beach.

Cordially,
Kevin J. Sullivan

Explain. More detail.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 01-14-2009).]

Bradley Jay

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2009 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bradley JaySend a Private Message to Bradley JayDirect Link to This Post
Wow...these are built off of Fieros?
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2009 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bradley Jay:

Wow...these are built off of Fieros?

NO.
PFF
System Bot
topher_time

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2009 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeDirect Link to This Post
A few more pics for y'all. They don't even drive all that great, but they are fun as hell once the turbos spool up. Need to get used to shifting the auto with the left hand. They are kinda odd like that. I may put in an offer to a friend for his purple one. Maybe then it will actually be driven.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2009 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
American Exotic and totally cool.

Thanks for posting pics.
------------------

"Friends don't let friends drive stock"

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 01-14-2009).]

Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2009 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2009 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Explain. More detail.

OK Curly (and others)...
The origianal Vector was originally built and designed in So. California in the mid '80's, by a team of auto and electrical engineer's whose exclusive plan was to 'out do' the Europeans in every aspect of car design. Forinstance, hey used every high end component possible including gold plated connectors and fusible links, Huey helicoptor/F15 disigned swithches for headlights, heater controlls etc. Gary also offered a LEFT handed u-shaped gear selector on the drivers side rails. The car was an automatic only based on the Toronado front wheel design of the 60's. The floor is completely flat having a two seat configuration with Recaro leather seats. I got to go, but I well chime in later if you want more info. Just ask...

Cordially,
Kevin

[This message has been edited by kevin (edited 01-14-2009).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2009 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

I got to go, but I well chime in later if you want more info. Just ask...

Cordially,
Kevin

Yes. Please do. Any pics of the interior, motor, and with the pop-up headlamps on?
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2009 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
IIRC, the headlamps don't pop up. The panels in front of the headlamps drop to reveal them.
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2009 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinDirect Link to This Post
Well actually no, I do not have pics of the interior. I wish I did. Nevertheless, I did get to sit in it. The cheif engineer, David, allowed me the opportunity to sit in it at one of the auto shows years ago. What was neet about that experience, was that other people, who were also slobbering over the car, were no doubt wondering why I was allowed past the purple satin rope to sit in the car while the other people were not? Perhaps, I charmed my way in for knowing the genesis about the car and its history. David thought I might be the one guy to actually buy one, with my astute questioning. More details: The first iteration was with an all aluminum Donoan based V8, with two trubos. Early bragging from Gerry suggested top speed would be over 200 mph. In reality, he was correct, it had the power to reach that speed. Unfortunatley, there were too many glitches in the peices and assembly, aka quality controll, that the car never reached this figure. As it raced down the proving grounds, it was soon (and constantly) overheating, where constant road side fixes never fixed the problem(s), so it was parked, again and again. Gerry and the gang were repeately invited by Car and Driver, Road and Track, Car magazine and others for another shot at reaching these speed goals. However, Gerry always declined for one reason or another. In actuality, he was running out of money and fresh investors. So rather than risk a wreck and more expenses, he moved on. They never could figure out how to engineer out this overheating malady. As a matter of fact, Andre Agassi actually bought one at the height of his career. After only a few months, he returned the poor thing after having been stranded numerous times in the Las Vegas desert. He had the white one. I getting tired at the moment...many more stories, I can be prompted....

Cordially,
Kevin

[This message has been edited by kevin (edited 01-15-2009).]

topher_time

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2009 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeDirect Link to This Post
Couple more pics. Just do a search for images, there are thousands out there. And a couple good videos on youtube. And yes, the headlight doors drop down. I need to call Gary and beg him to let me take pictures of his W8.

topher_time

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2009 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeDirect Link to This Post

topher_time

3231 posts
Member since Sep 2005

As a matter of fact, Andre Agassi actually bought one at the height of his career. After only a few months, he returned the poor thing after having been stranded numerous times in the Las Vegas desert. He had the white one. I getting tired at the moment...many more stories, I can be prompted....

Cordially,
Kevin

The white one is now owned by a former Vector Aeromotive employee in Michigan.
Julian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2009 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JulianSend a Private Message to JulianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

American Exotic and totally cool.

Thanks for posting pics.

What are the odds that the guy pumping the meter is going to get in the car?

------------------
Julian - MERA #8071

PFF
System Bot
vinny

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2009 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vinnySend a Private Message to vinnyDirect Link to This Post
I read a little about them on the net a minute ago. Ol' Andre tryed to burn one up. Didn't seem to have enough backing to really stand on its own. Beautiful car though. A kit would be a grand undertaking.

Vinny

------------------
88GT (permanently under the knife)
80 Trans am (also under the knife)
02 Trans am (sometime under the knife)

carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2009 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Julian:

What are the odds that the guy pumping the meter is going to get in the car?

I think the meter he is at is for the next car back...
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2009 02:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2009 02:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
they kinda look like the linester storm i think is whats its called
tesmith66

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2009 06:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by topher_time:

That's definitely SBC, but it's not longitudinal (see the seats behind the glass), therefore the Toronado tranny couldn't have been used. What tranny is in there?

EDIT: After searching the internets for a while, I am not convinced it's transverse, but have not found any information proving it's longitudinal. Maybe the image of the seat backs is a reflection? All of the engine images I found are too close to tell what's what. I did find out that the transmission was supplied by GM and prepared by B&M, so that means it probably used the TH425/325 transaxle or some one-off that GM built. I also found out that Rodeck racing engines were used for the production cars (17 total) and Donovan engines were used for some pre-production cars. Those were both SBC style motors.

Funny, I found more pictures of these cars (only 17 built) than I ever have of the Fiero.

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

[This message has been edited by tesmith66 (edited 01-15-2009).]

DRWBRTq19

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2009 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DRWBRTq19Send a Private Message to DRWBRTq19Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

they kinda look like the linester storm i think is whats its called

I think you mean the Lister Storm

They seem to have some resemblance, but then don't most super cars?

Drew
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2009 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:

That's definitely SBC, but it's not longitudinal (see the seats behind the glass), therefore the Toronado tranny couldn't have been used. What tranny is in there?

EDIT: After searching the internets for a while, I am not convinced it's transverse, but have not found any information proving it's longitudinal. Maybe the image of the seat backs is a reflection? All of the engine images I found are too close to tell what's what. I did find out that the transmission was supplied by GM and prepared by B&M, so that means it probably used the TH425/325 transaxle or some one-off that GM built. I also found out that Rodeck racing engines were used for the production cars (17 total) and Donovan engines were used for some pre-production cars. Those were both SBC style motors.

Funny, I found more pictures of these cars (only 17 built) than I ever have of the Fiero.

As I said, the engine does sit sideways, in the same way as the Toronado, Fiero, Cadillac, etc. did in their configurations. I discussed and confirmed the chain drive used (the conection designed from engine to tranny) with one of their engineers. One interesting note: Take a look at the picture of the dash board, it appears the Fiero and Vector share a common identity, the curise controll is the same

Cordially,
Kevin

[This message has been edited by kevin (edited 01-15-2009).]

fieroboom

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2009 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboomClick Here to visit fieroboom's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroboomDirect Link to This Post
Well, without dimensions, of course, the 'kit' would take a lot of time to eyeball, but... (you guys are about to officially label me as insane...)

- Give it a choptop
- Elongate & point the nose a little
- Flatten the rear fascia a little
- Add Archie's widebody kit, but customize it so the line in the middle is brought out more & more defined
- Add the track widening kit from Held
- Lose the rear glass, and rake the notchback angle a little more
- Fab door skins to match (there's no windows to roll up/down, so it should be relatively easy)
- Find some enormous windshield (Lumina APV maybe?)

...and that would get you pretty darn close... I know it would be a lot of labor, but doesn't look like the skill level needed is that high...
Shoot, if a steel worker can fabricate a Lamborghini Reventon from eyeballing it, then surely we fiberglassers can fab a simple '80s straight-line blocky body... We've got enough images of it, that's for sure....

Yes, I'm crazy, but still think it could be done fairly easily.

------------------
Journal of a concept: http://southeastfieros.com >>> Build Thread >>> Parts thread (for project funding)

[This message has been edited by fieroboom (edited 01-15-2009).]

vinny

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2009 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vinnySend a Private Message to vinnyDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I may be crazy too but I can see it. I'm not crazy enough or welthy enough but if you look at the car it is made up of mostly flat panels with minor curvature on the fenders and such. You only need one measurment to scale the car. You could take your time scale the car on paper and build something very close. This would still be a major undertaking though. With the doors and such. Someone that had time and some money (maybe not alot) with the help of a few dedicated friends (with the same vision) could replicate this.........................Damn. Makes me wish I had the time space and money,,,,,,,,,and friends

Vinny

------------------
88GT (permanently under the knife)
80 Trans am (also under the knife)
02 Trans am (sometimes under the knife)

tesmith66

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2009 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post

As I said, the engine does sit sideways, in the same way as the Toronado, Fiero, Cadillac, etc. did in their configurations. I discussed and confirmed the chain drive used (the conection designed from engine to tranny) with one of their engineers. One interesting note: Take a look at the picture of the dash board, it appears the Fiero and Vector share a common identity, the curise controll is the same

Cordially,
Kevin

Every V8 FWD Toronado or Cadillac I've ever seen has longitudinal, not transverse.

[This message has been edited by tesmith66 (edited 01-15-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2009 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
New 2007 WX8:

hot conceptualization:
larini74

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2009 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for larini74Click Here to visit larini74's HomePageSend a Private Message to larini74Direct Link to This Post
TESmith66 - 1985 and up are transverse v8's in Caddy's.....
fieroboom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2009 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboomClick Here to visit fieroboom's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroboomDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by vinny:

Yeah I may be crazy too but I can see it. I'm not crazy enough or welthy enough but if you look at the car it is made up of mostly flat panels with minor curvature on the fenders and such. You only need one measurment to scale the car. You could take your time scale the car on paper and build something very close. This would still be a major undertaking though. With the doors and such. Someone that had time and some money (maybe not alot) with the help of a few dedicated friends (with the same vision) could replicate this.........................Damn. Makes me wish I had the time space and money,,,,,,,,,and friends

Vinny

I nominate that Curly, Troyboy, and Archie get on it!

Originally posted by larini74:

TESmith66 - 1985 and up are transverse v8's in Caddy's.....

Confirmed, I have an '88 DeVille that's transverse...

Originally posted by tesmith66:

Every V8 FWD Toronado or Cadillac I've ever seen has longitudinal, not transverse.

Did you mean to say RWD? Cuz I've never in my life seen a longitudinal FWD vehicle...
kwagner

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2009 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post
I like the w8, it just seems like they ran out of design ideas halfway back and just wanted to finish the car.
Archie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2009 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
I'm surprised that no one here has searched out any correct information on Weigart.

I remember seeing the Vector for the 1st time in MT in the early 1970's.

Originally it was powered by the FWD driveline out of the Toronado then several engine/trans combos after that.

IMHO, Weigart was the biggest con-man there ever was. He was all over the magazines thru-out the 70's & 80's. I was really a fan of the Vector & thru the '70's I bought every magazine that had anything on the Vector.

To get accurate information, I'd suggest you Google "Weigart Vector"

I know that Wikipedia is suspect of having marginal information. However, I have read the info here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_Motors & it appears to be very accurate & reflects what actually happened as I remember it.

The only thing I didn't find in the above linked page was the armed standoff that occured when the cops surrounded his headquarters trying to evict him when people he owed money to took over control of the company.

The put him in a mental hospital after that but I wonder what ever happened to him.

Archie
larini74

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2009 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for larini74Click Here to visit larini74's HomePageSend a Private Message to larini74Direct Link to This Post
1967 to 1984 Eldorado's are longitudinal, 1985 to 2002 are transverse....
fieroboom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2009 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboomClick Here to visit fieroboom's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroboomDirect Link to This Post
Can you say.... Camaro?

fieroboom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2009 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboomClick Here to visit fieroboom's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroboomDirect Link to This Post

fieroboom

2132 posts
Member since Oct 2008

Originally posted by Archie:

I'm surprised that no one here has searched out any correct information on Weigart.

I remember seeing the Vector for the 1st time in MT in the early 1970's.

Originally it was powered by the FWD driveline out of the Toronado then several engine/trans combos after that.

IMHO, Weigart was the biggest con-man there ever was. He was all over the magazines thru-out the 70's & 80's. I was really a fan of the Vector & thru the '70's I bought every magazine that had anything on the Vector.

To get accurate information, I'd suggest you Google "Weigart Vector"

I know that Wikipedia is suspect of having marginal information. However, I have read the info here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_Motors & it appears to be very accurate & reflects what actually happened as I remember it.

The only thing I didn't find in the above linked page was the armed standoff that occured when the cops surrounded his headquarters trying to evict him when people he owed money to took over control of the company.

The put him in a mental hospital after that but I wonder what ever happened to him.

Archie

I just read all the wiki articles, and it all tells me one thing... He has a metric crapton of money... Geez.

"Following a battle for control related to a hostile take over attempt by a third world millionaire and his cronies...Mr. Wiegert won back the company assets, trademarks, and copyrights in the courts. Wiegert has revived the Vector brand name as of 2008 and is seeking investors for the new Vector Motors Company. Wiegert now holds all Vector assets. Wiegert has renamed his company Vector Motors and is producing a new sports car codenamed WX-8."

A court battle is not cheap, even if you win your ass(ets) back... and he still has enough $$ to try to pick it back up. Must be nice.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2009 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ryan.hess:

New 2007 WX8:

Dude, that's sweet!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay