Started on: 11-07-2007 11:28 AM
Replies: 123
Last post by: fieroboy_gt on 02-19-2013 03:48 PM
madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2009 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

I'm surprised that no one here has searched out any correct information on Weigart.

Archie

I saw that too while on the same site. A lot of dough to lay down for a car and have over heating issues. Funny that the famous tennis star (despite being warned/early delivery) drove the heck out of it and left on the side of the hwy.

I too remember the car in magazines many years ago and it was featured in a TV special (I forgot which one, but somehow I think it was 60-minutes?).
IP: Logged
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2009 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by larini74:

1967 to 1984 Eldorado's are longitudinal, 1985 to 2002 are transverse....

Apparently I've never seen one newer than an 84 . Thanks for setting me straight on that. So, what tranny is used on the 85 and up? My ex mother-in-law had a late 80's (I thought) Caddy FWD with a longitudinal motor. Never paid enough attention to remember the details.

Furthermore, what tranny was used on the W8, and how is it able to withstand all of that power? Does FieroX need to get one of those?

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2009 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakDirect Link to This Post
The original Olds Tornados were north/south engine-tranny arrangements.
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2009 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinDirect Link to This Post
Hey Archie,
Let the others know that the Vector's engine deseign was for a rear engined, SIDEWAYS mounted, twin turboed, intercooled, all aluminum V-8, hooked to an automatic tranny. If the other good folks reading this hear your insight and acceptance of this knowledge,it might provide more credibility.
Second, like I said above, I taked to Mr. Weigert, again, this last August while I was in Carmel, Ca. He told me aother car is on it way. At that time it was only on the drawing board. The above first car is now being built. I expect to see it in person within 7 months.

Cordially,
Kevin
Daredevil05

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2009 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post
Don't kill me for saying this but it kind of reminds me of the Aztec 7 which is my favorite car next to the Fiero.

[This message has been edited by Daredevil05 (edited 01-15-2009).]

larini74

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2009 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for larini74Click Here to visit larini74's HomePageSend a Private Message to larini74Direct Link to This Post
'79 to '84 Riviera's used longitudinal trans too.... Eldorado, Seville, Toronado, and Riviera were all on the same platform....
fieroboom

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2009 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboomClick Here to visit fieroboom's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroboomDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:

Apparently I've never seen one newer than an 84 . Thanks for setting me straight on that. So, what tranny is used on the 85 and up? My ex mother-in-law had a late 80's (I thought) Caddy FWD with a longitudinal motor. Never paid enough attention to remember the details.

Furthermore, what tranny was used on the W8, and how is it able to withstand all of that power? Does FieroX need to get one of those?

The '85-'88 DeVille had the Turbo-Hydramatic 440-T4, which is what my DeVille has.
As far as I know, they kept that one in (at least the DeVille line) until '94, when they started using the 4T60 & 4T80
Here is the full wiki on the DeVilles.
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2009 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kevin:
One interesting note: Take a look at the picture of the dash board, it appears the Fiero and Vector share a common identity, the curise controll is the same

Cordially,
Kevin

That means.... it's broken?

Oh... sometimes I crack myself up....
IFLYR22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2009 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IFLYR22Send a Private Message to IFLYR22Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by blakeinspace:

That means.... it's broken?

Oh... sometimes I crack myself up....

HAHAHAAAA ... so true.
chrismclubm

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2009 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrismclubmSend a Private Message to chrismclubmDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

American Exotic and totally cool.

Thanks for posting pics.

oh my, that's the nice **** i've ever seen hands down

------------------
1986 GT Fiero Owner & Enthusiast
For Fiero updates, visit my site and don't forget visit our google ad sponsors
http://educatorstop15.com/fieropage.htm

larini74

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2009 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for larini74Click Here to visit larini74's HomePageSend a Private Message to larini74Direct Link to This Post
I've always liked the later wx series that they made after Lambourghini bought them (1991-1995)...

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
PFF
System Bot
vinny

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2009 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vinnySend a Private Message to vinnyDirect Link to This Post
I've done a little looking but I can't find any DETAILED body drawings maybe like you would find when a new car comes on the market. Is there anywhere I can look?

So far I know the W8 is:
wheel base 103"
length 172"
width 76"
height 42"

As compared to the Fiero (gt) is:
wheel base 93.4", 9.6" shorter
length 165.1", 6.9" shorter
width 68.9", 7.1" narrower
height 46.9", 4.1" lower in height (which is pretty much a variable)

Ideas?
Vinny

[This message has been edited by vinny (edited 01-15-2009).]

fieroboom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2009 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboomClick Here to visit fieroboom's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroboomDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by vinny:

I've done a little looking but I can't find any DETAILED body drawings maybe like you would find when a new car comes on the market. Is there anywhere I can look?

So far I know the W8 is:
wheel base 103"
length 172"
width 76"
height 42"

As compared to the Fiero (gt) is:
wheel base 93.4", 9.6" shorter
length 165.1", 6.9" shorter
width 68.9", 7.1" narrower
height 46.9", 4.1" lower in height (which is pretty much a variable)

Ideas?
Vinny

- Stretch & nose elongation takes care of the length & wheelbase.
- The Held track widening kit is good for up to 8" in the rear & 6" in the front.
- The height will take care of itself when it's chopped & dropped (which WILL happen...)

You're actually considering this, aren't you? You sneaky little gremlin! I want in on it! Remember, we're only about 2.5 hrs apart....
JumpStart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2009 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JumpStartSend a Private Message to JumpStartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

IIRC, the headlamps don't pop up. The panels in front of the headlamps drop to reveal them.

Thats an idea I havent seen tried on a Fiero.

Steve
vinny

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2009 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vinnySend a Private Message to vinnyDirect Link to This Post
I am half heartedly looking at this because I know it isn't practical for me any time soon. I have even thought about a steel tube frame with steel body panels (I'm a welder) because in certain ways it would be faster https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/072098.html . You would base it off a stretched Fiero of course. Find a windshield and build it around the windshield and chassis. A 9or so inch stretch would be enough for a longitudinal engine layout. The doors would be built similar to a Lambo kit. It would be very time consuming, but fun I think.

Vinny
fieroboom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2009 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboomClick Here to visit fieroboom's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroboomDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by vinny:

I am half heartedly looking at this because I know it isn't practical for me any time soon. I have even thought about a steel tube frame with steel body panels (I'm a welder) because in certain ways it would be faster https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/072098.html . You would base it off a stretched Fiero of course. Find a windshield and build it around the windshield and chassis. A 9or so inch stretch would be enough for a longitudinal engine layout. The doors would be built similar to a Lambo kit. It would be very time consuming, but fun I think.

Vinny

I'm serious... I wanna help on it... For comparison, here's a Lumina APV windshield:

It's a lot more square than I remembered...

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2009 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroboom:

Can you say.... Camaro?

ehhhh close but no cigar. camaro's and firebirds are a perfect 10 in my book same with fieros.
fieroboom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2009 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboomClick Here to visit fieroboom's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroboomDirect Link to This Post
Man, that is one odd windshield.

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2009 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroboy_gt:

I was just wondering if anyone has ever heard of anyone making a Vector based fiero kit. I dont see what would be so hard about it if they do lambo kits an what just wondering

it also looke like the child of a ferrari and a lamborghini (sorry not a speller)
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2009 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

pontiackid86

19632 posts
Member since Sep 2008
i know im probabley gona get my *** shot up for this one but iv always kinda liked this car its not a super car but kinda cool from mazda saw it in a video game and wanted one ever since. its a mazda AZ1

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 01-16-2009).]

fieroboom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2009 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboomClick Here to visit fieroboom's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroboomDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

it also looke like the child of a ferrari and a lamborghini (sorry not a speller)

I'm sorry man, but this is too funny to pass up... You actually spelled ferrari and lamborghini correctly... but misspelled looks...
We still love ya tho!
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2009 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

I'm sorry man, but this is too funny to pass up... You actually spelled ferrari and lamborghini correctly... but misspelled looks...
We still love ya tho!

hahaha holy **** i did somthin right for once hehe
Falcon Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2009 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon FieroSend a Private Message to Falcon FieroDirect Link to This Post
One on ebay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...Q5fEverythingQ5fElse

------------------

vinny

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2009 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vinnySend a Private Message to vinnyDirect Link to This Post
To me the W8s are the best looking by far. That car on Ebay looks like a Berreta from the front.
And Pontiackid. That maybe the uglyest car in the world.

[This message has been edited by vinny (edited 01-16-2009).]

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2009 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Did you mean to say RWD? Cuz I've never in my life seen a longitudinal FWD vehicle...

Multiple Audi's come of the top of my head. I'm sure there is more cars.
Renault traction avant might be the very first car - I'll have to double check that though.
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2009 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinDirect Link to This Post
Fellas,
Did you guys know that the original Vector design was actually based on a '70-ish Ferrari? I saw an actual car (in the picture gallery), built by Ferrari in my collection of Automobile Quarterly magazine from the same period. The two designs are remarkably similar. This is not to dispairage Mr. Weigart, rather perhaps to praise him for seeing a great design and putting the forces together to make it happen.

Cordially,
Kevin

[This message has been edited by kevin (edited 01-16-2009).]

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2009 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
That silver one totally screams '80's sci-fi movie. (not that it's a bad thing. )
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2009 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ryan.hess:

New 2007 WX8:

I saw one of the W8 cars at a LA auto show back in my teen years. My father took me, I think I was 17, and it was summer of 89 right before I left to go to school in AZ. I really liked it. And umm, I really like that one in the picture to!

fieroboom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2009 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboomClick Here to visit fieroboom's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroboomDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

Multiple Audi's come of the top of my head. I'm sure there is more cars.
Renault traction avant might be the very first car - I'll have to double check that though.

Wow, I learned something today.... From a different forum:

"Found a couple of Intrepids, '99 and '00, pretty new for the scrap yard. Both had 60 degree aluminum block longitudinal mount front wheel drive V6 engines. Potential 'modern' replacement DMC engine?"

From the Intrepid Wiki:
"The Intrepid, Concorde, and Vision were collectively designated the LH, Chrysler's codename for the platform which underpinned them."

And then the LH Platform Wiki:
"The LH platform was Chrysler's best-known automobile platform after the Chrysler K platform of the 1980s. The platform was loosely based on the AMC-developed and Renault-derived Eagle Premier. Like the Premier, the LH-cars featured a longitudinally-mounted engine with a front-wheel drive drivetrain, unusual in most American front-wheel drive cars."

I did not know that, and have never seen it... Now I gotta go to pull-a-part just to see it...
vinny

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2009 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vinnySend a Private Message to vinnyDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I believe you can buy a adapter plate for these transmissions to bolt a V8 if you want one in your kit car. These are all over the junk yards.

Vinny

------------------
88GT (permanently under the knife)
80 Trans am (also under the knife)
02 Trans am (sometimes under the knife)

MoneyNoMo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2009 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MoneyNoMoSend a Private Message to MoneyNoMoDirect Link to This Post
1991 vector in Wilmington, CA on eBay $50,100.00 {reserve Not Met}

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
PFF
System Bot
joshh44

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2009 02:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joshh44Send a Private Message to joshh44Direct Link to This Post
i remember getting this car in Grand Turismo 3!
it reminds of a shark mixed with a fighter jet and abit of a fiero combined.
FieroGTRwideboby

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2009 04:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTRwidebobyClick Here to visit FieroGTRwideboby's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTRwidebobyDirect Link to This Post
I saw the new one at the LA Auto show. That car was a mess. The body work as horrible, the lining of the windshield was covered with tape. The quality was gruesome really. Jerry Weigert had an awesome idea going, and is trying to bring back the old Vector. But, come on with such competition, whats the point. The windshield was camaro if I remember, the taillights were off of a truck, just turned sideways, and the headlights are supra. The car needs major development and a design rethink. It is funny because he went to my college for car design, after he graduated he didn't go to work for any major companies, mainly did small odd design jobs, it shows in the design. The original vector is the car that was actualy done correct, this new one is not good at all. Just a mock-up.

Sorry, to be so negative, but u don't bring a mock-up to the LA Auto show.
cnander51

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2009 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cnander51Send a Private Message to cnander51Direct Link to This Post

Did you mean to say RWD? Cuz I've never in my life seen a longitudinal FWD vehicle...

If my memory is correct, volkswagen made a car called a fox that was fwd and longitudinal. Before subaru made all of its models all wheel drive, they also made fwd longitudinally mounted engines. The volkswagen was an inline 4 and the subaru was a flat 4.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2009 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Clean design.
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2009 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
just found the vector website = http://www.vectorsupercars.com/index1.html
Rolling Thunder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2009 03:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rolling ThunderSend a Private Message to Rolling ThunderDirect Link to This Post
+1 for the Vector M12

[This message has been edited by Rolling Thunder (edited 05-22-2009).]

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2009 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
[hijack]
Anyone have other rear/mid engine cars they like?

[/hijack]

[This message has been edited by Gokart Mozart (edited 05-22-2009).]

mikejhjr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2009 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mikejhjrSend a Private Message to mikejhjrDirect Link to This Post
I thought Vector moved to Florida around the time when they started making the M12. I think they still owe rent on some of the property near by, but it's been a while since I've heard anything.
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2009 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 05-22-2009).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock