Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Building a tube frame fiero (Page 10)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 
Previous Page | Next Page
Building a tube frame fiero by gusshotrod
Started on: 01-14-2005 10:12 PM
Replies: 494
Last post by: PerKr on 01-05-2012 05:39 PM
VenturaFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2005 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VenturaFieroSend a Private Message to VenturaFieroDirect Link to This Post
Just found this topic, what a great Job, would love to get a copy of your cad files when you are ready to hand out... in the meantime keep up the posting, will say it again Great Job.
IP: Logged
Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2005 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Bump...

Me thinks a trip to Oregon may be in order in the future.

88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2005 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTDirect Link to This Post
This is really good stuff, keep up the good work. Can't wait to see the end result!
355Fiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2005 03:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroDirect Link to This Post
Haven't heard anything for a while. Any updates to the frame build gusshotrod?

Cheers
Don

AJ7

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2005 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJ7Send a Private Message to AJ7Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

If it was mine I wouldnt put any body panels on it

i'd do all custom

el_roy1985

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2005 03:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for el_roy1985Send a Private Message to el_roy1985Direct Link to This Post
So what's goin on with those fenders? I'm excited to see more progress on this sexy machine.
joeschmotty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2005 05:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joeschmottySend a Private Message to joeschmottyDirect Link to This Post
umm...i just spent the past 2 and a half hours reading pages 1-9 and about 30 more seconds on page 10.
i have nothing to say. i am utterly speechless.
**pause for several minutes**

ok, wow. this is simply amazing. i have two questions:
1. how many man hours do you estimate to have put into the actual build part of the project so far?
2. how much do you estimate to have spent including parts so far (and can you make that estimate seperate from what youve spent on the engine and tranny)?

now that i know what has happened so far, im stoked about seeing where you will end up with this. whats your hopeful horsepower output without the spray? (yeah, so i asked a third question.) going off the goal of 2200 lbs for the weight, and 5 wtp, i guess it should be somewhere around 440 hp. i assume the spray is 100 shot? (and a fourth.)

alright. i'll just sit back and wait for the updates now....continue the amazing work.

caddyrocket

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2005 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for caddyrocketSend a Private Message to caddyrocketDirect Link to This Post
Hey Guss, is that a 930 transaxle? How did you go about building the adapter?

Work is looking more than awesome! Stellar attention to detail!!!

gushotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2005 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gushotrodSend a Private Message to gushotrodDirect Link to This Post
The transaxle is a Porsche G50 5 speed. This is basically an updated 915 transaxle that is a little stronger and has better synchos. The engine has not been on a dyno, but is somewhere north of 500HP (came out of my race car, won a track championship with it). I will try to get off my butt and post some pics this Sunday.
caddyrocket

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2005 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for caddyrocketSend a Private Message to caddyrocketDirect Link to This Post
I'm looking forward to seeing how well it works for you. I've heard the G50 transaxles are nice and the 930s are very stout but at 5k for the conversion transaxles, I've been out on it. Did you use a renegade trans or just a stock trans and your own adapter?
gushotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2005 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gushotrodSend a Private Message to gushotrodDirect Link to This Post
The adaptor is from Kennedy (KEP). Haven't got into the the trans yet. Want to get a stiffer diff sideplate and am adding cooler for the fluid.
PFF
System Bot
joeschmotty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2005 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joeschmottySend a Private Message to joeschmottyDirect Link to This Post
bump for an update???
gusshotrod

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2005 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
Intermission. Don't forget to vist the snack bar.

Found some pics of a 510 I built. Small block, 6 speed.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

[This message has been edited by gusshotrod (edited 12-10-2005).]

Convertable Indy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2005 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Convertable IndySend a Private Message to Convertable IndyDirect Link to This Post
AWSOME work! I like it! I just wish it was RHD. Still very cool though!
crzyone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2005 06:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
That 510 is awesome, my first car was a 1970 Datsun 510 2 door with a 4 speed, that was a fun car. I would come out of school and my car would be sideways between 2 cars, my friends got a kick out of it. Not many cars you can lift the back end so easily.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2005 07:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
OMG I hit the end button and saw the pictures and thought you had lost your mind and put a truck body on it
Good work as always.
crzyone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2005 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post

OMG I hit the end button and saw the pictures and thought you had lost your mind and put a truck body on it
Good work as always.

Its not a truck, just a square 70s car

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2005 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by crzyone:

Its not a truck, just a square 70s car

never saw one, I bet that was a sleeper

I wish guss lived next to me

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2005 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
My dad used to have a datsun 510. It was a cool car, I wish he could have kept it for me.

------------------

Spektyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2005 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpektyrSend a Private Message to SpektyrDirect Link to This Post
You know some day the ability to build a Fiero frame will be a highly-sought after skill... there's fewer of our beloved cars on the road every year. Before long we'll have to build them from scratch.
gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2005 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
Heater installed from Vintage Air. I had to fab a new defroster plenum and flip the core:

New master cylinders from US Brake. This is a newer company, but the cylinders have stainless steel bores and an intergral return springs like the Afco's. These cylinders have remote reservoirs. The third one is not installed:

And the reservoirs installed:

Gas pedal is part of a hydraulic throttle set-up (which I will be using, system looks too trick not to use):

Accu-sump with EPC valve. This will kick in if I throw a dry sump belt. It will also be used as a pre-oiler.

Mold for the clam shell hood. Need to add fender bulges and radiator vent:

[This message has been edited by gusshotrod (edited 12-18-2005).]

PFF
System Bot
gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2005 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
Dash in progress. Have to add brake gauges, which will go on the left side. The panel will be engine turned when done. The gauges were laid out this way to eliminate blind spots from the steering wheel:

My new power rack. This has the double cylinder, old one had single cylinder:
jayguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2006 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jayguyClick Here to visit jayguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to jayguyDirect Link to This Post
Bump for updates. I love reading all these cool buildthreads!

------------------
Jay
'05 Mustang GT
'94 Ducati M900

ltlfrari

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2006 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
I guess this means we'll be having a load of "let's add power sterring to a Fiero" threads now LOL.
I love reading this thread.

------------------
Dave E

www.ltlfrari.com

m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2006 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
bump to the top

matthew

BITBYFIEROBUG

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2006 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BITBYFIEROBUGSend a Private Message to BITBYFIEROBUGDirect Link to This Post
Have to hear more about this one.

------------------
Live Like You Were Dying

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2006 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
I would just drive it like this

ltlfrari

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2006 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
Th is as close as I'll get......

------------------
Dave E

www.ltlfrari.com

[This message has been edited by ltlfrari (edited 01-24-2006).]

ArbinShire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2006 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArbinShireSend a Private Message to ArbinShireDirect Link to This Post
*Bump*
metoady

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2006 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for metoadyClick Here to visit metoady's HomePageSend a Private Message to metoadyDirect Link to This Post
i got this close
Amida

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2006 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaDirect Link to This Post

Very interesting topic. The long wheelbase (LWB) gives the Fiero a sportier stance. I have be thinking of also doing a LWB Fiero but on a much smaller scale. Basically by shifting the cradle back 3 inches, replace windshield with a curved piece, and changing a few body lines. The rough sketch is just some ideas that I had to put on paper.

PFF
System Bot
Fiero SS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2006 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero SSSend a Private Message to Fiero SSDirect Link to This Post
This has been my favorite build thread. Keep up the good work.
I can't wait for some updates.

Joe

355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2006 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroDirect Link to This Post
Any updates to the progress of this beautiful piece of art GussHotRod?

Cheers
Don

Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2006 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Amida:

Very interesting topic. The long wheelbase (LWB) gives the Fiero a sportier stance. I have be thinking of also doing a LWB Fiero but on a much smaller scale. Basically by shifting the cradle back 3 inches, replace windshield with a curved piece, and changing a few body lines. The rough sketch is just some ideas that I had to put on paper.

That looks excellent! I wish Pontiac would have sloped the door and sail panel up like that on ours..

gusshotrod

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2006 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gusshotrodSend a Private Message to gusshotrodDirect Link to This Post
I am still not dead yet. I've been working on another project for a while. I'm getting kinda itchy to get back into this.
1986 Fiero GT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2006 06:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1986 Fiero GTDirect Link to This Post

I would just drive it like this

Me too, I'd just clear the frame and cruise like that, though it'd be a PITA to get it street-legal and still atractive with headlight buckets and such hanging all over the place. I don't know about that, but I'd love to just clear the frame and drive it like that, kinda like a street-legal sand-rail.

EDIT: Guss, I also, forgot to mention that I'm dying to know how you do your shifter set-up, as I'm working on a project with a 915, and I'd like to know how you run your shift linkage. Thanks for your help Guss, oh and I see that you have a KEP adapter as well, I will most definately be buying from KEP now as well.

I have two and a half CAD drawings of a car like this, but I never finished it. The only reason I can't finish it is because: A. I don't know what the hell I'm doing, and B. I've got no parts to measure and such, but I'm sure I can figure it out. Add me to the list of drawing recipients when you're finished, lol.

[This message has been edited by 1986 Fiero GT (edited 02-09-2006).]

Amida

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2006 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steven Snyder:

That looks excellent! I wish Pontiac would have sloped the door and sail panel up like that on ours..

I'll start a new thread for my design project. My goal is to create an updated look to the Fiero by modifying a few body lines and replace both the front glass and front fascia/nose with a new one that I'm designing. Rob

1986 Fiero GT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2006 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1986 Fiero GTDirect Link to This Post
Also, Guss, did you ever complie that information on your tubing bender? If so, can you do me a favor and send it my way? Thanks a lot.
355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2006 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroDirect Link to This Post
Any updates on the work of art?

Cheers
Don

motoracer838

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2006 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Direct Link to This Post
bump
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock