Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Improvement on "standard" 11 1/4 inch brakes (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 
Previous Page | Next Page
Improvement on "standard" 11 1/4 inch brakes by Will
Started on: 12-29-2004 05:37 PM
Replies: 640
Last post by: fierofan25 on 07-19-2011 05:20 PM
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2004 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
I've been looking at the "normal" 11 1/4 brake setup using LeBaron rear rotors and 3rd Gen Camaro front calipers. I've never been really satisfied with it, as the location of the banjo fitting on the Camaro caliper is very close to the mounting ear on the Fiero knuckle and interferes with things too much for my taste. The fitting is so close that factory hoses can not be used and aftermarket braided steel lines MUST be used. Yes, it does work, but it always seemed like backyard engineering to me.

I just found a solution that satisfies my finicky sense of design. I took the front caliper from an '84 4WD Blazer in a junk yard. It is EXACTLY like the 3rd gen F-body caliper EXCEPT for the position of the banjo fitting. Instead of being on the bottom of the caliper as with the F-body unit, the Blazer banjo fitting is on top of the caliper, right next to the bleed screw.

IOW, the Blazer caliper will bolt directly in place of the F-body caliper on all 11 1/4" kits, but will not require longer brake lines, and can be used with factory hoses. Slight modification to the Fiero fitting will be necessary, but this can be done with a file.

I'll have the proper applications list for this caliper in a couple of days.

------------------
Turn the key and feel the engine shake the whole car with its lope; Plant the gas pedal and feel in your chest neither a shriek nor a wail but a bellowing roar; Lift and be pushed into the harness by compression braking that only comes from the biggest cylinders while listening to music of pops and gurgles. Know that you are driving an American V8. There are finer engines made, but none of them are this cool.

Luck, Fate and Destiny are words used by those who lack the courage to define their own future

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2004 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Just looked up the application....

The calipers come from 4WD '83-'94 Blazers.
The left is CarQuest P/N 18-4129 and the right is CarQuest P/N 18-4128 for unloaded calipers.
The loaded caliper P/N's are 16-4128(9) for right and left, respectively.

Do NOT get 2WD calipers. Those are exactly the same as the F-body calipers.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 12-29-2004).]

USFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2004 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroDirect Link to This Post
Wasn't there a Camaro (Special Ed?) that had alloy calipers? Wouldn't they be the hot ticket?

------------------
John DuRette
***Custom 85 under construction, 87 Coupe in the driveway. The fun never ends!***

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2004 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
The 1LE third gen's had aluminum calipers, but they are rare and expensive. Much more cost-effective to use the iron ones.
Besides, that's what the market is already built around.
Hank is Here

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2004 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereDirect Link to This Post
Full sized blazer or S10
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2004 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
S10 Blazer....
I just realized I had been looking up the wrong number in the catalog. P/N's corrected.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2004 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Nobody else is interested in this?

Oh well... genius is lonely work...

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 01-01-2005).]

Puckhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2004 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PuckheadSend a Private Message to PuckheadDirect Link to This Post
Archived for future reference.......Will, as always, stellar work!!!

(I just wish I had the time to explore the local yards, and the skill to do something with it!)

-T

JacobHaley

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2004 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JacobHaleySend a Private Message to JacobHaleyDirect Link to This Post
I have those brakes and don't really like the way the brake line runs either. I will look into those other calipers. Thanks!
Vonov

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2004 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, Will. I have an 88, and the brakes are acceptable, but I also may acquire another pre-88 car soon...

------------------
'88 Formula - 4.9 conversion by The Fiero Factory
Shifter surround resto by Fierotech
SUPPORT YOUR FIERO MERCHANTS
Proud member of the Lightbar Fraternity
PFF Supporting Member
"He who does not oppose evil, commands that it be done!" ----Leonardo da Vinci

Bobert

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2004 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobertSend a Private Message to BobertDirect Link to This Post

Nice work Will, a + for the lonely genius!
PFF
System Bot
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2005 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinDirect Link to This Post
Will,
Your efforts and focused energy have not been lost to our community. Personnaly, I do follow your stellar dedication to the brake upgrade. The present lack of "hits" to this particular S-10 caliper upgrade is probably due to the Christmas season. Posting this again in a few months will definatley show more immediate interest.
A.J. Foyt, Roger Penske, Ak Miller, Andy Granetelli, Roger Moore, Dan Gurney...etc, all exceptional thinkers of new ideas. Yet their genius is not, or was not, always apprecaited and they were not discuraged. Keep on keeping on. We know your busy and look forward to your ideas.

Sincerley,

Kevin J. Sullivan

TG oreiF 8891

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2005 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TG oreiF 8891Send a Private Message to TG oreiF 8891Direct Link to This Post
Nice work Will! Now if you could just figure out the 11.25 brake upgrade for 88's. . . .
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2005 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Talk to GSXRBobby about his 12" upgrade for '88's
FierOmar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2005 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm! Wilwood makes some lightweight calipers that are a direct replacement for some GM products. Has anyone considered using them? See:
http://www.wilwood.com/Products/001-Calipers/025-GMM/index.asp
and
http://www.wilwood.com/Products/001-Calipers/024-GM3/index.asp

------------------
FierOmar

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2005 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

Nobody else is interested in this?

Oh well... genius is lonely work...

thats what you get posting during the holiday

I'm interested since this is the brake upgrade I was planning to do

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2005 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FierOmar:

Hmmm! Wilwood makes some lightweight calipers that are a direct replacement for some GM products. Has anyone considered using them? See:
http://www.wilwood.com/Products/001-Calipers/025-GMM/index.asp

I've seen these before, and I've considered them as a possibility, but I've never seen the backs of them, so I don't know where the connection is. I'll email them about it and find out.

http://www.wilwood.com/Products/001-Calipers/024-GM3/index.asp

These are replacements for the calipers used on the '98 and newer Grand Prix, among other things... With GP brackets for 12" rotors, you could run these with Purple Reign's setup using LS1 F-body calipers...

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 01-03-2005).]

thecage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2005 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thecageSend a Private Message to thecageDirect Link to This Post
Good work Will I will be doing this swap in a month or two and this should help. Now can you find something for the rear?
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2005 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thecage:

Good work Will I will be doing this swap in a month or two and this should help. Now can you find something for the rear?

Rear calipers are installed reversed from the original Cadillac Seville application to allow the hand brake cables to pull to the rear.

Stock Fiero hand brake cables and return springs are used.

1 each CarQuest P/N 18-4138 Rear Caliper, rebuilt, 80-85 Cadillac
1 each CarQuest P/N 18-4139 Rear Caliper, rebuilt, 80-85 Cadillac

from zettner brake write up

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2005 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
There are, as I understand it, a few minor issues with the rear brakes as well... I haven't looked at them yet, however.

One possibility that comes to mind is that the LeBaron uses a mechanical drum inside teh hat section of the rotor for a parking brake. Perhaps this mechanism could be adapted to the Fiero...

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2005 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
downfall of the cadillac calipers is they are 100$ a pop vs the non ebrake blazer calipers being 15$ (plus 15$ core) each
PFF
System Bot
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2005 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kohburn:
downfall of the cadillac calipers is they are 100$ a pop vs the non ebrake blazer calipers being 15$ (plus 15$ core) each

being mine Fiero has a manual trans, the parking brake is a little more important for me. I already have the brackets for the calipers, but no rotors or calipers yet. got a little time while the car sits thru the winter. planning on the cadillac rears & camaro fronts & Lebaron rotors.

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2005 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
yeah - e-brake is essential for me passing the state safety inspection - not to mention a good idea..

so the cost of the cady calipers is worth it - i'll use the blazers for the front

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2005 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Will I had alot of guys asking about a brake upgrade for the pre 88's when I put together my brake upgrade for the 88 Fieros. I think you would have alot of guys join in after you got all the info together! I was going to do this as my next project but desided I am doing 2 others ideas I have.

An aftermarket mirror and replacement taillights for both the Notchback and Fastback cars.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
93 Northstar and 5 speed Getrag
219customs@verizon.net
My build thread

kslish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2005 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kslishSend a Private Message to kslishDirect Link to This Post
To further the discussion, here are some pics I found on the web showing the location of the fittings:

First the Camaro caliper (correct me if I'm wrong...just trusting Advance Auto's website):

This should be the Blazer caliper (again correct me if I'm wrong):

And finally, here is Wilwood's aluminum replacement (appears to cost about $100 a caliper and weighs 2.97 lbs). Anyone know how much a stock caliper weighs? The banjo fitting is directly opposite (across from) the bleed valve.

Who wants to be the first to try it???

Ken S.

[This message has been edited by kslish (edited 01-03-2005).]

Fiero STS

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2005 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero STSSend a Private Message to Fiero STSDirect Link to This Post
Will, nice find on the calipers. If you replace the LeBaron rear discs with front discs on the front, it will move the caliper farther away from every thing, as the offset is alot less. But you will need longer bolts and thicker spacers for the mounting brackets.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2005 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kslish:

Well the top picture is the Camaro caliper, but this is not the same caliper as I had picked out. This is a full size Blazer caliper. It appears to have promise, however, I haven't gotten one in my hands to check. The S10 (small) Blazer caliper is the one to which I was referring. I'd like to get one of these to look at as well... I'll talk to my parts guy about that tomorrow...

And finally, here is Wilwood's aluminum replacement (appears to cost about $100 a caliper and weighs 2.97 lbs). Anyone know how much a stock caliper weighs? The banjo fitting is directly opposite (across from) the bleed valve.

Who wants to be the first to try it???

Looks like this will work well... The big problem with the Camaro calipers isn't that the fitting is on the bottom... it's that the acces to the fitting is restricted to a specific direction. This does not seem to be the case with the Wilwoods, so they should be fine to use. I'd like to prove my system with the factory calipers before I change to aftermarket calipers.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 01-03-2005).]

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2005 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

looks to be the 18-4208

here is the 18-4128

and here is the cadilac caliper for the rear

spearce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2005 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spearceClick Here to visit spearce's HomePageSend a Private Message to spearceDirect Link to This Post
Hi Will

This is really timely information. I'm just getting ready to collect some hardeware for this brake conversion. I think I'll go with the Willwood calipers.

Steve

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2005 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Might want to find out more first...
The Wilwood Dynalites are not really street calipers because they don't have dust boots on the pistons.
I don't know if the GM Metric has a piston dust boot or not. You ought to find that out before you commit to using those...
kslish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2005 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kslishSend a Private Message to kslishDirect Link to This Post
I sent an e-mail off to Wilwood to see what they have to say about the dust boot question on their GM Metric calipers.

I also found another aftermarket supplier....these are dual piston aluminum replacements that replace the standard GM brake caliper and run about $150 each from Stainless Steel Brake Co....

Ahh the possibilities..... just need to do more research....

Ken S.

PFF
System Bot
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2005 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
and they're RED!!!!!!111
FierOmar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2005 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

Might want to find out more first...
The Wilwood Dynalites are not really street calipers because they don't have dust boots on the pistons.
I don't know if the GM Metric has a piston dust boot or not. You ought to find that out before you commit to using those...

...Wilwood's aluminum replacement (appears to cost about $100 a caliper and weighs 2.97 lbs). Anyone know how much a stock caliper weighs? The banjo fitting is directly opposite (across from) the bleed valve.

Looks like this will work well... The big problem with the Camaro calipers isn't that the fitting is on the bottom... it's that the acces to the fitting is restricted to a specific direction. This does not seem to be the case with the Wilwoods, so they should be fine to use. I'd like to prove my system with the factory calipers before I change to aftermarket calipers.

O.K., so the GM Metric would be the one to use? That makes me wonder whether using Wilwood's GM Metric would allow the use of 15" wheels. I have put some 11.25" Lebaron rotors on a Shelby Dodge Charger and the stock 15" Fiero lace wheel fit fine. Thus, it appears that the need to use a large wheel is due primarily to the size of the GM calipers that are normally used in the swap.

------------------
FierOmar

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2005 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Compared to the Camaro caliper, the GM Metric and S10 Blazer (and full size Blazer) have much better access to the brake hose fitting location. We don't know if the Wilwood GM Metric calipers have dust boots on the pistons or not. If they don't I'd advise against them for street use...
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2005 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

I sent an e-mail off to Wilwood to see what they have to say about the dust boot question on their GM Metric calipers.

I also found another aftermarket supplier....these are dual piston aluminum replacements that replace the standard GM brake caliper and run about $150 each from Stainless Steel Brake Co....

Ahh the possibilities..... just need to do more research....

Ken S.

nice but do they offer one with a mechanical e-brake?

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2005 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

[/IMG]

As has been said before, this is the full size Blazer caliper. I just looked at one today. It is MUCH bigger than the Camaro/S10 caliper and would not fit the same brackets. I think it's too large to be appropriate for the Fiero.

Flyguyeddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2005 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyguyeddySend a Private Message to FlyguyeddyDirect Link to This Post
it also looks like they dont have a dust boot. might not want to use them on the street, as will has stated before...

is there any turning radius and turning stop issues with the zettner upgrade?

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2005 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kohburn:

nice but do they offer one with a mechanical e-brake?

The standard Force 10's don't, but the Force 10 Sport R1 does...

http://www.ssbrakes.com/products/sportR1/

thecage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2005 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thecageSend a Private Message to thecageDirect Link to This Post
Will, are the blazer calipers direct replacements for the camaro, do you use the same spacers and brackets or not?
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2005 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Yes. The S10/Blazer caliper uses exactly the same brackets, spacers, and other hardware. The full size Blazer caliper will not work with the same brackets. This thread is about the S10/Blazer caliper. Said caliper caliper will not require as long a brake hose as the Camaro caliper. It should be useable with the factory hoses already on your car.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 01-04-2005).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock