Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Improvement on "standard" 11 1/4 inch brakes (Page 15)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 
Previous Page | Next Page
Improvement on "standard" 11 1/4 inch brakes by Will
Started on: 12-29-2004 05:37 PM
Replies: 640
Last post by: fierofan25 on 07-19-2011 05:20 PM
rjblaze

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2007 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
I was figuring on drilling the hub to the 5 X 100 bolt pattern. Not sure of the outer bearing "boss" OD (part that fits inside of the center hole of the rotor). Don't know if rotor ID would need to be machined or if front LeBaron rotors would work OK. I have to find the hubs first.....none on e-bay I could find.
IP: Logged
sactodreamer

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2007 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sactodreamerSend a Private Message to sactodreamerDirect Link to This Post
Anyone know how to separate the rotor from the hub? My machine shop didn't work out.
reone98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2007 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for reone98Send a Private Message to reone98Direct Link to This Post
anybody else having any more brackets made? i just ran across this thread. thanks
reone98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2007 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reone98Send a Private Message to reone98Direct Link to This Post
ttt
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2007 07:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
I was one of the people getting these brackets made, but the requests for them really died out. If there were at least 10 to 15 people that wanted some made, I could probably get it done. So far I only know of two people who have asked recently. You and one other guy. If it doesn't pan out, I can send you the CAD files for you to try to find a metal shop to laser or water-jet.
reone98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2007 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for reone98Send a Private Message to reone98Direct Link to This Post
thanks rjblaze, i'll take a set if you get enough. can you send me the drawing anyways?
superdave

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2007 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for superdaveSend a Private Message to superdaveDirect Link to This Post
Hello rjblaze, I'm interesting about the cad files, I sent you a PM about this and no reply, if you can reply to me it would be nice.

Thank you.

David.
sactodreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2007 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sactodreamerSend a Private Message to sactodreamerDirect Link to This Post
I ordered the hubs from West Coast Fiero today so I don't have to wait for my original ones to be machined. The guys there told me for the Lebaron upgrade you don't need longer wheel studs. I already have them so I'll probably use them anyways, I just found that interesting.
F-I-E-R-O

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2007 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-ODirect Link to This Post
bump.
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2007 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
reone98 and superdave, I was having some 'puter problems with the unit the drawings were stored in, but it is fixed now. I should have them to you shortly.
superdave

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2007 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for superdaveSend a Private Message to superdaveDirect Link to This Post
Ok rjblaze, just send me a pm before sending the cad files, thank's a lot, realy appreciated.
PFF
System Bot
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2007 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
I would love those Cad files as well. I have a few machine shops here that can do the job.

synssins at gmail dot com
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2007 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Bump TTT.

Anyone have the CAD files?

sactodreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2007 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sactodreamerSend a Private Message to sactodreamerDirect Link to This Post
No CAD file but progress pictures.

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2007 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Looks great...

If I could get the cad files, I can have these things cut for me today.

On a side note...

I assume a thick Aluminum is not strong enough.
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2007 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Did you say where u got those rotors?
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2007 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
wherd you get the decals?
Fieroking Jr

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2007 05:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fieroking JrSend a Private Message to Fieroking JrDirect Link to This Post
so did any one use the ssbc calipers ?? i have a set of willwoods but i need to spend about 600 dollars to get them to work on my 88 GT they came off of my 86 SE LOL the biggest thing is the 4 piston calipers 12 rotors...= no brake fade how dose evet one like them compared to stock on a 88 ??

MM3 Sokol
Jurell Baker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2007 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jurell BakerClick Here to visit Jurell Baker's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jurell BakerDirect Link to This Post
Well, after hours of reading while at work.... Um, lol I'm at page 7!!!
Gotta hand it to Will, and Kohburn for their intense research and posting of free information!!!!
Also that this thread is going on 2 years old, and I'm learning on every paragraph. Or getting more confused. As these brackets ,spacers, calipers, and pads were being tried by multiple people, I've had to change my notes a few times.
Gotta love the internet.
Anyways, for what it's worth I'm trying to do my part and field my research. I'm very interested in this conversion, and can count me in on a future front, and rear conversion.
Thanks
Jurell
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2007 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
Synthesis, superdave, and reone.....files are on the way.

It apperas that another group order is in progress in the mall if anyone is interested.

Last bit......has anyone who ordered the set with the 5 degree rear bracket offset seen any real difference?
I am being asked and I have gotten no responses yet to this question.

Thanks

Bob
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2007 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rjblaze:

Synthesis, superdave, and reone.....files are on the way.

It apperas that another group order is in progress in the mall if anyone is interested.

Last bit......has anyone who ordered the set with the 5 degree rear bracket offset seen any real difference?
I am being asked and I have gotten no responses yet to this question.

Thanks

Bob

Bob,

Thank you for the CAD files. I will toss them to my guy at work tomorrow and see what he says.

All of these would be end milled rather than cut if I make them.

Nevermind. One is the 5 degree and one is the 10. I assume that the Third bracket design is the 5 Degree that noone has tested yet?

On top of that, I was reading up on the brackets, and everyone keeps mentioning spacers or washers. I assume these need to go between the original Fiero knuckle and the new bracket to push them back just a hair. Is this a correct assumption?

If so, has anyone thought about having the "spacers" milled directly into the body of the brackets and setting it up for either the front or the rear rotors specifically so that someone could assemble an entire kit?

[This message has been edited by Synthesis (edited 05-31-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2007 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
The brackets that I have had made for people were laser-cut, not milled, out of 3/8" thick steel. To have the "spacers" included into the brackets would require much thicker steel (front) and slightly thicker steel for the rear. A good portion of the steel would be wasted in the process, and another milling step, therefore increasing the total costs/bracket. It makes much more sense financially to do it out of the 3/8" and add the spacers. Remember also that the laser cutting is much more precise and the "extra" tolerance for the caliper is not required.

I am glad you got the files and have good luck with having them made. I just happened to be the first person (as I can see based on the others who have tried and were given some astronomical prices) to find a shop that was really into automotive modification (you should see the stuff they got floating around in there) and gave me what really seems to be a fair price tomake them.

Bob

p.s. File #3 is the 5 degree rear brackets.
Jurell Baker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2007 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jurell BakerClick Here to visit Jurell Baker's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jurell BakerDirect Link to This Post
I agree with mister blaze on that one. I'm a CNC Machinist, and that would add a lot of material+work=money into the process. Also it seems everyone's application is a little different, and may require somewhat of a different offset. Not really if everyone uses the same rotors, going by what I've read the past few days.
I tried to reply earlier today at work, but must've had the wrong password as it didn't post.

Just want to give a lot of credit to Will for starting the snowball rolling. Also Kohburn for his added research and help. And then Rjblaze for his initiative and fielding orders and shipments for basically no charge!
How about RUNDLC? Have you placed any orders with the seemingly cheaper priced bracket vendor?
Very impressed guys!

ANYONE have any feedback with those 5* brackets? Or Braquets for our friends in Canadia lol

Thanks in advance,
Jurell
Red '85 GT Heavy mod. V-8 Conv.
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2007 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Actually rjblaze, I understand where you are coming from on the milling.

This is the CNC Machine at work that would be doing this as a "Government job" Once I get 1 or 2 full sets of brackets cut, then I have a "Prototype" I can take into any other shop along with the cad drawings, and get a better guesstimate. Right now, I have a price from one of the largest shops in the Twin Cities for 38 bucks a piece for the fronts, and 43 a piece for the backs for anything under 5 pieces.

Above that, I am unsure, as I have not quoted them out yet.

At work, I can get them done for the cost of the metal because the CNC machine sits idle for periods of time, which leaves the machinist with nothing to do.
The Engineering supervisor at work and I are good friends (He gave me MLB tickets for the Twins VS Toronto Blue Jays for this last Sunday). He said I could use the CNC anytime I needed it if it was not currently in use.

Milling them with the spacers on them would not be an issue for me. The question I have though: Do the front brackets and the rear brackets require different depth spacers? This is regardless of ANY other part on the vehicle (The LeBaron rotors)...

Next question. I see mention of Front LeBaron brake rotors as well. For this swap, you could use either. Am I correct? Rear is preferred though.

If the person who uses these brackets decides to use the front rotors instead of the rear, will the spacers need to be different?

Basically, I just want to know if there would need to be 2 different sets of brackets for both front and rear of vehicle depending on which brake disc is used.

My goal is to eventually get everything needed, bolts and all into a small kit that would be readily available to anyone who needed it. All of the necessary bolts, washers, spacers if needed separately and brackets. That would simplify things quite a bit.

I am not looking to make money on this, but if it helps get the idea afloat, and makes the installation easier for the "end user", then that will get these out into the community faster, and make more of our Fieros last longer. (No more accidents lol)
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2007 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post

[B]Originally posted by Synthesis

Milling them with the spacers on them would not be an issue for me. The question I have though: Do the front brackets and the rear brackets require different depth spacers? This is regardless of ANY other part on the vehicle (The LeBaron rotors)...

Next question. I see mention of Front LeBaron brake rotors as well. For this swap, you could use either. Am I correct? Rear is preferred though.

If the person who uses these brackets decides to use the front rotors instead of the rear, will the spacers need to be different?

Basically, I just want to know if there would need to be 2 different sets of brackets for both front and rear of vehicle depending on which brake disc is used.

My goal is to eventually get everything needed, bolts and all into a small kit that would be readily available to anyone who needed it. All of the necessary bolts, washers, spacers if needed separately and brackets. That would simplify things quite a bit.

I am not looking to make money on this, but if it helps get the idea afloat, and makes the installation easier for the "end user", then that will get these out into the community faster, and make more of our Fieros last longer. (No more accidents lol)

That is a pretty great price for such a small run. My initial run was $68.00/set (for at least ten sets) and Then I raised the price slightly to include priority shipping and cover some of my costs.

The front and rear brackets require different depth spacers .4375" (I believe) for front and .060" rear for use with the LeBaron REAR rotors......I do not know the thickness for the LeBaron FRONT rotors (these also need the center hole milled bigger).

I would re-check this thread for the complete parts list.
sactodreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2007 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sactodreamerSend a Private Message to sactodreamerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

Did you say where u got those rotors?

I forgot what the name of the place was I bought them from (RUNDLC should know, he's the one that told me about them). I just have the return address on the box with a phone number of (714) 309-3620 in Santa Ana, CA. They were around $160 shipped for four I think.

Originally posted by doublec4:

wherd you get the decals?

It's posted on page 13 but I've heard from one other person on the forum who did not have a good experience with them. So buy at your own risk.
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2007 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
www.rockauto.com had all 4 LeBaron rear rotors for 115 shipped to my door here in the US...
dguy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2007 06:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dguySend a Private Message to dguyDirect Link to This Post
5° rear bracket fittment test

I was able to spend some time with the 5° brackets last night... They're close, but some trimming of the inboard pad is still required. If you install your pads with the wear indicator clip facing down, it will have to go too.

modified pad on the bottom, unmolested pad on the top
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2007 02:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
TTT
WaltR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2007 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WaltRSend a Private Message to WaltRDirect Link to This Post
I have had rotors, calipers and carbomet pads ( don't remember the brand) for this project on hand for several years. The car is back on the road after a couple of years and needs brakes so I am not going to spend money on more stock parts so I am buying brackets from rblaze in the mall. Can somebody tell me what exactly is in the way that requires the corner of the pad to be trimmed? I had wanted to get this all modeled in Solidworks so I can maybee find a solution to that. I think I will take measurements of everything before I put it together so I can do this. If there are any cad drawings for any of these parts out there I can import them into Solidworks to make the solids instead of starting with nothing. I already have drawings and models of the new brackets, both 5 and 10 degree so I do not need those.

If anybody can help I will return anything I discover to this forum.

Thanks
Walt
dguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2007 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dguySend a Private Message to dguyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by WaltR:

Can somebody tell me what exactly is in the way that requires the corner of the pad to be trimmed?

Interference with the lower of the two "arms" on the rear knuckle which the adapter bracket mounts to.
PFF
System Bot
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2007 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone have a link to an onlie bolt supplier who has the M12 1.5 X 40mm bolts?

Thanks
jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
I read the entire thread and, just so I understand correctly, these are set up to use the standard, late GM metric calipers, correct? That's how I'm understanding it and if so, there are tons of possibilities out there since this is the caliper of choice for the circle track folks. Wilwood makes metric drop in calipers as light as 2.97 pounds and this would be exceptional for a race car trying to minimize unsprung weight. There are also cast iron calipers available from a lot of places at a much lower price than Wilwood that are lightened for racing that weigh as little as 5 pounds, IIRC.

Additionally, does anyone know the standard bore of the GM metric as several companies offer multiple bore diameters.

Regarding the LeBaron rotors, anyone know off the top of their head the rotor thickness? Most of the circle track calipers are set up for different thickness rotors, depending on what they're running.

Last, since the Grand Am setup works with front calipers all around, I presume the standard GM metric calipers would work all around if you don't care about the e-brake? I'm going to upgrade the race car with this and I don't need an e-brake. I'd go straight to the 'vette brakes but I have to keep it inside a 15" wheel unless I want to throw out a whole bunch of $$$ in existing wheels and tires.

John Stricker
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
Hi John:

I just measured a rotor and it is 0.868"

Nolan
jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 01:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Nolan, that's the thinnest of the three options (and the least expensive, usually).

John Stricker

Originally posted by Sourmug:

Hi John:

I just measured a rotor and it is 0.868"

Nolan

jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post

jstricker

12956 posts
Member since Apr 2002
I've been poking around and everyone has the grade 8.8 M12 X 1.5 but if you go to 10.9 or12.9 grade everybody's M12 is 1.75. That's most likely why the are drilling and tapping the holes for 7/16 NF, they are much easier to find in Grade 8.

John Stricker

Originally posted by Sourmug:

Does anyone have a link to an onlie bolt supplier who has the M12 1.5 X 40mm bolts?

Thanks

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
Thanks John.

I did find an online supplier for the bolts and they have shipped. Here's the link: http://www.aaametric.com/
The reason I went with the 10.9 grade is that is what the stock front caliper bracket bolts are.

Nolan
87 Fiero GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2007 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 87 Fiero GTDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone have any feedback on the 5* rear brackets?

I think that this brake upgrade has to be one of the best and smartest mods for the Fiero... sure you can make them go fast... really fast... but it's nice to make them stop too.

I am looking to order a set and the 5* seem to have so much promise... any feedback from someone that used them would be great... Or if anyone has some solid reasons to go with the 10* rears... I would love to hear about that too...

thanks,

David

[This message has been edited by 87 Fiero GT (edited 10-14-2007).]

dguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2007 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dguySend a Private Message to dguyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87 Fiero GT:

Does anyone have any feedback on the 5* rear brackets?

See my post above regarding modification of the inboard pad with the 5° rears.

Since that post I have completed the assembly of the rears on my project cradle. I won't have any "real world" observations for a while yet, but everything looks good off the car. For the photo below I wasn't able to support the knuckle in its natural position while working the camera (knuckle is tilted forward somewhat), however the e-brake cable routing appears to clear the CV boot nicely with the control arm raised to ride height & the knuckle held near-vertical.

87 Fiero GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2007 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 87 Fiero GTDirect Link to This Post
Thanks dguy....

I am so ready to have a Fiero that really stops.... looking forward to the brake upgrade and can't wait for the new run of brackets.... once I can get it to stop...then I'll look at getting my 3800 SC in there...

Thanks again,

David
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock