Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Improvement on "standard" 11 1/4 inch brakes (Page 14)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 
Previous Page | Next Page
Improvement on "standard" 11 1/4 inch brakes by Will
Started on: 12-29-2004 05:37 PM
Replies: 640
Last post by: fierofan25 on 07-19-2011 05:20 PM
LS1 Troy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2007 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LS1 TroySend a Private Message to LS1 TroyDirect Link to This Post
1986 Seville Rear caliper

1985 Seville Rear Caplier

Edit: I own page 14!!

[This message has been edited by LS1 Troy (edited 01-31-2007).]

IP: Logged
x-thumpr-x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2007 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for x-thumpr-xSend a Private Message to x-thumpr-xDirect Link to This Post
Did th 86 seville go to a non-veneted rotor? It looks like it would almost bolt to stock housing.

------------------

psychosurfer

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2007 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for psychosurferSend a Private Message to psychosurferDirect Link to This Post
The 86 I pulled the calipers off of had vented rear rotors.

Edit to add: Do I need JUST the calipers, or teh factory bracket that holds the calipers as well form the '85, Im assuming I need the whole set up?

[This message has been edited by psychosurfer (edited 01-31-2007).]

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2007 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by psychosurfer:

The 86 I pulled the calipers off of had vented rear rotors.

Edit to add: Do I need JUST the calipers, or teh factory bracket that holds the calipers as well form the '85, Im assuming I need the whole set up?

You need everything you see in the picture at the top of this page for the 85 seville. Make sure you get the bracket on the side of the caliper that is used for the e-brake. If you don't have that bracket, your ebrake wont hook up.
anthony_86gt

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2007 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for anthony_86gtSend a Private Message to anthony_86gtDirect Link to This Post
i have a few questions.

1. i already have the grand am upgrade, do i just need the brackets, calipers, and rotors?

2. can i just do the upgrade for the front?

3. what calipers are the best to use? i see there are many different ones.

4. where can i get the brackets?

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2007 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by anthony_86gt:

i have a few questions.

1. i already have the grand am upgrade, do i just need the brackets, calipers, and rotors?

2. can i just do the upgrade for the front?

3. what calipers are the best to use? i see there are many different ones.

4. where can i get the brackets?

1. Correct
2. If you wish. If you still have stock rear brakes, you'll benefit a lot more from doing it all around.
3. There are only TWO kinds of calipers that have been used for this... F-body style and Caddy/Blazer (and others) style. I started this thread because I thought that the Caddy/Blazer calipers were better suited to it than the F-body calipers. Either one will attach to the brackets. The only difference is the location of the brake line fitting.
4. Any place that advertises an 11.25" brake upgrade for the Fiero.
anthony_86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2007 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for anthony_86gtSend a Private Message to anthony_86gtDirect Link to This Post
thanks will! i already have the grand am for the rear, so im just deciding if i should do it all the way around or not. does anyone have any updated cad drawings or are the ones previously posted the ones everyone is using? i have connections with a machine shop so i'm probably just going to have them made up. also with the caddy/blazer calipers i can use camaro brake pads?

another question that i cant find the answer to. i dont have any of the ebrake cables. can i just use the front seville calipers on the rear, like people use the front grand am calipers on the rear? if i go this route will i just need 4 front brackets or will i still need the rear brackets and then use the front calipers. i hope you guys make sense on what i am talking about. i hope you guys can tell me so i can get started on this upgrade!

[This message has been edited by anthony_86gt (edited 02-01-2007).]

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2007 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
you can use 4 front calipers with no ebrake - you will still need 2 front and 2 rear adaptor brackets

and yes you can use camaro brake pads, you can get performance pads to fit from EBC
cyanides

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2007 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cyanidesSend a Private Message to cyanidesDirect Link to This Post
The cad program I downloaded will not let me print the cad files. It will only let me view the cad files. Can someone please e-mail me the printable files that are actual size.

x1cyanides1x@yahoo.com

Thanks,
Marc
anthony_86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2007 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for anthony_86gtSend a Private Message to anthony_86gtDirect Link to This Post
i am just waiting on my brackets!!

RUNDLC

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2007 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RUNDLCSend a Private Message to RUNDLCDirect Link to This Post
I need the cad files also, I have asked before but no response. It may be awhile before RJB makes anymore.

Thanks in advance

RUNDLC

hmdznrcld@comcast.net

I downloaded this viewer
http://www.download.com/Fre...573.html?tag=lst-0-3

clicked on these links:
http://www.viscoustech.com/...s/rear-adaptor-2.dxf & http://www.viscoustech.com/...ds/front-adaptor.dxf

Both come up as invalid DXF. files What gives?? Anybody?? *UPDATE* Someone emailed me the drawings *THANKS*

[This message has been edited by RUNDLC (edited 02-15-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2007 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
I was able to open a set of the drawings I downloaded earlier into AutoCad2006, and converted them to 2004 for RUNDLC, hopefully that will work out. If anyone else is having trouble and would like to see the drawings in another program, I converted them to "Emachineshop" files. The program is free at www.emachineshop.com, I haven't ordered any parts from them yet but basically you're supposed to use thier program to design a part, then you order it directly from them from the proprietary file that comes from the program. It's a super-easy "CAD" program to use, almost as easy as Paintbrush. But it's perfectly accurate (I usually use 5 decimal places) and it prints in 1:1 scale to your printer, so you can draw something up really quick then print it and use that as a template, or anything like that where you need something accurate. (need a ruler? draw one and print it! LOL ) But one other really cool feature is that you can import and export AutoCad .DXF files. (AutoCad 2000 version I think?) Anyway... I've been using the program for a long time, since I've been procrastinating about learning to actually use AutoCad. (Did make a 3-D knob for the HVAC project, but never could get it to render right...) And no, I have no relation to them, just think it's a cool program. I'm not sure what the 2 different versions of the rear caliper brackets were for (I know I read it in one of the 14 pages....) but I converted both of them anyway. They are slightly different sizes for a reason... I was going to cut a set myself, but never got around to it... Anyway --> (suggest doing "right-click save-as")
http://home.comcast.net/~ri...caliper_brackets.ems
http://home.comcast.net/~ri...aliper_brackets1.ems
http://home.comcast.net/~ri...aliper_brackets3.ems

------------------
Bob Williams
Working on the next 3800 swap.. Missing the one that worked!

cyanides

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2007 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cyanidesSend a Private Message to cyanidesDirect Link to This Post
That worked great. The outer dimensions of the two rear brackets are different from each other. The bolt holes that attach to fiero spindle are in the exact same distance from each other. That was my first indication that previous attempts to print them were not in scale. These line up perfectly. The link above did not work due to the comma. Here is a link to the actual download.
http://www.emachineshop.com/download/indexv.htm

Save target as like Riceburner said. After install just go to file and open. Then when you go to print, go to file print, and then select Actual Size before pressing the print button. I forgot this and ended up with a huge bracket printing out. I will cut them out of card board and verify that they are truly actual size.

Thanks so much riceburner. I was about to start begging.

Marc
RUNDLC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2007 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RUNDLCSend a Private Message to RUNDLCDirect Link to This Post
cyanides

Let me know how much they want to charge for cnc work, my first quote came out at 143.50 Each!! No way

RUNDLC
cyanides

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2007 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cyanidesSend a Private Message to cyanidesDirect Link to This Post
I should know by Sunday.
RUNDLC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2007 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RUNDLCSend a Private Message to RUNDLCDirect Link to This Post
cyanides

Good News, I was just faxed a quote from a guy near me. Based on the drawing that riceburner posted, he will do a min. of 10 sets for 40.00 plus tax (7.75%) per set!! Shipping to be determined by your zip code. Thats pretty good. I don't want to step on ANYBODY'S toes in this thread. BTW these would be Laser cut. I can post or fax the quote to anyone who wants to see it. I just don't know how to post it.

But if there are any other guys that need the brackets let me know. I won't order mine just yet. He wants 160.00 just to do one set. So The more the better. I know the forum may be flooded now since RJB just finished a run of these, I just missed that last run and that's why I'm looking at these.

RUNDLC

[This message has been edited by RUNDLC (edited 02-16-2007).]

RUNDLC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2007 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RUNDLCSend a Private Message to RUNDLCDirect Link to This Post

RUNDLC

802 posts
Member since Jul 2005
WOW, I just used the emachines program to do a 3d model-very nice!! Riceburner.

RUNDLC
cyanides

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2007 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cyanidesSend a Private Message to cyanidesDirect Link to This Post
RUNDLC,

Awesome job. Thats great news. I went and talked to a friend of a friend yesterday about cutting the brackets for me. He was hesitant to do so. He was telling me the plasma cutter would weaken the steal and might warp it, told me he would make me any guarentees. In the end he said he would do it, but I could tell he really didn't want to.

I know you said you are not going to order yours ringht now. That is good new to me. My b-day is the 28th. I will have the funds to order two sets. (one 5* and one 10*). If you end up waiting longer than that, that's cool too. This is my toy, not my daily driver. Just let me know when you are ready.

RUNDLC I sent you a PM.

[This message has been edited by cyanides (edited 02-17-2007).]

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post02-17-2007 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by JazzMan (edited 04-18-2009).]

cyanides

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2007 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cyanidesSend a Private Message to cyanidesDirect Link to This Post
That's good to know. I don't know anything about steel. I just got the feeling he really didn't feel like messing with it. Now reading what you wrote seems to confirm my feelings.
rjblaze

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2007 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
RUNDLC.....Wow that's a great price.....$43.10 + shipping! That's like $25.00 less than my first run!

Good luck with this....you can take the heat off of me. It was pretty tough to find enough interest for this last run. I hope everything works out for you.

Guys......you need to jump on this as it is a VERY good price for laser cut pieces! I know....I did alot of shopping before I found my supplier.

Bob
PFF
System Bot
Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2007 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
Hmm, just for giggles I did a price quote from the emachineshop software on one of the rear brackets, $132 each for 2. So compared with some other machinist prices, I guess they're not *horribly* expensive. Just an arm and half a leg. One cool thing about them (besides the software!) is that supposedly you can do injection molded plastic parts and stuff like that. I never drew anything that I'd be able to do a fake price check on though, so they may be really expensive. But still cool. $40 sounds like a great deal! I'm not sure I could find the steel for that much around here! Just to double-check (brain's fried!) is that for a set of 4 brackets, or per front / rear set?
RUNDLC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2007 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RUNDLCSend a Private Message to RUNDLCDirect Link to This Post
Hey riceburner that is for 2-fronts & 2 rears! My only issue is that I would want to check the product of one first, but I guess if the machine follows the drawing it can't be wrong. I just didn't want to spend 160. for one complete set ya know??

He faxed me the quote and said if I ordered 40 pieces they would be 9.95 each!! 1-2 weeks delivery time.

I thought after talking to Archie & WCF at 240.00 for one set this was an absolute steal.

RUNDLC
RUNDLC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2007 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RUNDLCSend a Private Message to RUNDLCDirect Link to This Post
BUMP!! Anyone??

rjb, i know what you mean. I wished I had not missed your last run! I would not even be talking about this.

RUNDLC

[This message has been edited by RUNDLC (edited 02-18-2007).]

psychosurfer

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2007 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for psychosurferSend a Private Message to psychosurferDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sactodreamer:

Thanks. I found the stickers at http://www.XenonMods.com. They were about $8 shipped for six stickers in my choice of color. I think they have other names available.

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THESE PEOPLE!!!!! I paid for my decals on the 30th of Jan, it is now the 20th of feb. THe only thing I have recieved form them is a rude email, no product, no explanation. THey did however have no problem taking my money and giving me nothing in return. Sorry for the rant, just a heads up!
anthony_86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2007 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for anthony_86gtSend a Private Message to anthony_86gtDirect Link to This Post
i completed the conversion! still haven't put the wheels on and tested though due to the nice michigan weather.

RUNDLC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2007 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RUNDLCSend a Private Message to RUNDLCDirect Link to This Post
Anthony, Did the one rear bracket work for the e-brake too? I was told by someone that an additional bracket was needed. nst, can you post a pic of the rear w/ e-brake attached? Thanks alot.
RUNDLC

[This message has been edited by RUNDLC (edited 02-21-2007).]

anthony_86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2007 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for anthony_86gtSend a Private Message to anthony_86gtDirect Link to This Post
i used front calipers on the rear. i dont have an ebrake because i got rid of it a long time ago when i did my grand am upgrade.
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2007 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
RUNDLC:

Check the thread again.....that extra bracket was used on the old Zettner set-up....you do not need it for this conversion.....I am pretty sure you can use the old e-brake bracket.

BTW, I am calling my contact about making one extra set for you....hopefully he won't want to charge an arm, a leg, and half my (your) change purse to do this. I think I can talk him into this tho'....he is a pretty cool guy.
RUNDLC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2007 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RUNDLCSend a Private Message to RUNDLCDirect Link to This Post
Thanks RJB Much appreciated!! just LMK. I'll paypal ya as soon as I here from you. BTW does he do the 7/16 tapping?

RUNDLC

[This message has been edited by RUNDLC (edited 02-21-2007).]

Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2007 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
For something completely (well sort of!) unrelated..... Anyone see the "new" full-disk brake setup they've come up with?? It was on some show around here called "how things are made" or something like that.. The entire disk gets pushed into a brake "pad" on each side that's like a clutch disk - there's "pad" material all the way around. They were more showing how they came up with the part design in CAD then made the prototype parts and did testing, and didn't say who was going to be using them. But they were testing them on some racing Porsche then on some Ford family car, and they looked really really cool. They were developing some really advanced type of ABS to go with them, since I would assume they'd lock up all 4 wheels real easy. Basically the outer "pad" ring was fixed somehow to the hub, and the inner "pad" ring had some sort of piston that pushed it into the "floating" rotor, which then pushed into the outer pad ring. Super clamping action. Lemme know if you get it taken care of RUNDLC - I haven't found any steel yet.. - Bob
PFF
System Bot
superdave

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2007 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for superdaveSend a Private Message to superdaveDirect Link to This Post
Hello guys, I bougth my braket fron rjblaze, I have one question, I notice when I install the rear lebaron rotor on the rear hub of the fiero, I does'nt seat quite well, the thing is, the spindell as a braquet on the bottom that hold the rear fiero caliper, when I put the rotor it touch the braquet, whit my grinder I cut of this piece, and now the rotor fit perfectly, is this normal to cut the braquet for this conversion or not, thank for your help, here's the picture.

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2007 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
as far as I know it has to be done on any brake upgrade that increases the size of the rotor
RUNDLC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2007 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RUNDLCSend a Private Message to RUNDLCDirect Link to This Post
Will, Kohb or anyone else Please a stupid question:

Is it REALLY necessary to change out the spindle bolts with the 7/16"-20 bolts? Why can't the exist threaded bolts be used (longer of course) with the spacers for the front brackets. Why do you need the tap for the new bolts.

Thanks RUNDLC
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2007 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RUNDLC:

Will, Kohb or anyone else Please a stupid question:

Is it REALLY necessary to change out the spindle bolts with the 7/16"-20 bolts? Why can't the exist threaded bolts be used (longer of course) with the spacers for the front brackets. Why do you need the tap for the new bolts.

Thanks RUNDLC

honestly been so long i can't remember. I liked retapping to use the same bolts on all the adaptors for consitency.. but i suppose you should be able to reuse the stock front bolts.

edit: i remember now, the added spacing makes the stock bolts too short and they were an odd size so it was much easier to retap and use the matching 7/16-20 bolts.

[This message has been edited by Kohburn (edited 03-16-2007).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2007 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
The factory bolts are 12mm, but I think they're fine pitch. I prefer finding the correct bolts vs. retapping the holes in the knuckle. www.mcmaster.com is usually good for bolts.
RUNDLC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2007 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RUNDLCSend a Private Message to RUNDLCDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Guys, I was having a very hard time finding those "stock" bolts m12x1.5x30mm you just can't find at the local places, like H.D., lowes etc. I will go w/ Mcmaster-Carr. I was going to try and use the front bolts and replace the "fat" lock washer with a thinner "internal lock" style washer per RCC. I will try this first and see if I can get at least eight turns, with the thicker washer I only get about four, Not nearly enough for my comfort level.

UPDATE: I did use the "internal" lock washers and they made all the difference. The stock bolt is maybe only 2 turns from going thru the spindle holes, I am alot more comfortable with that, now to take the other side apart and insert the washers.

RUNDLC

[This message has been edited by RUNDLC (edited 03-19-2007).]

sactodreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2007 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sactodreamerSend a Private Message to sactodreamerDirect Link to This Post
I started installing my driver's side suspension and the new brakes. I'm still waiting for the rotors and I have to get my front hubs "aparted". I was going to take the hubs to a machine shop but is there another way to get the rotors off of the hubs? I laid by new Lexus rotors on the spindle for this pic.
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2007 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
Anybody think this would work with the conversion AND give us a larger front bearing?

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/081086.html
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2007 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Wrong bolt pattern for this rotor. Lots of rotors are available with the 5x4.75 pattern.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock