Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Improvement on "standard" 11 1/4 inch brakes (Page 13)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 
Previous Page | Next Page
Improvement on "standard" 11 1/4 inch brakes by Will
Started on: 12-29-2004 05:37 PM
Replies: 640
Last post by: fierofan25 on 07-19-2011 05:20 PM
sactodreamer

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2006 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sactodreamerSend a Private Message to sactodreamerDirect Link to This Post
First pics of my install. The fronts are painted and ready to install. The rear calipers I got from AutoZone didn't have the e-brake brackets so I'm gonna go pull some from a wrecking yard or something.....I'll get my core back which is the other plus to that. I contacted a place about getting some cross drilled slotted rotors, they have to create a part number/production for them since they didn't actually have the rears in production. I'm happy with how these fronts turned out, but I'm still a long way from installing them on my car.

[This message has been edited by sactodreamer (edited 12-08-2006).]

IP: Logged
DandRauto

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2006 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DandRautoSend a Private Message to DandRautoDirect Link to This Post
these look great. How was the letting done? again a great job
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2006 06:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
Anyone interested in 10 pot brakes? http://www.tarox.com/english.html The conversion kits fit C4 and C5 Vettes with 16" and 17" tires.
sactodreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2006 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sactodreamerSend a Private Message to sactodreamerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DandRauto:

these look great. How was the letting done? again a great job

Thanks. I found the stickers at http://www.XenonMods.com. They were about $8 shipped for six stickers in my choice of color. I think they have other names available.
Hurricane

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2006 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HurricaneSend a Private Message to HurricaneDirect Link to This Post
id like to get a set of brackets as well, when will you be running the next order? any definitive word if the 5 degree brackets work?
rjblaze

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2006 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
Send me a PM and I will put you on the list. I should be ordering sometime in the first couple weeks of January. I need at least 10 orders for a run and I believe you would make number four. I will be e-mailing my manufacturer soon to make sure everything is a go and then switching the bracket ordering over to the MALL section. I will let everyone that PM's me know when the order is going in. The price will be $80.00 + shipping for this batch and all remaining batches. Lots of work/time to get them all packaged and shipped.

Bob
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2006 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
Since guys have been asking me and I haven't tried them yet:

Has anyone tried their 5 degree offset rear brackets yet and did it really make any difference?
Kohburn, I think you ordered a set if I remember correctly. Any feedback?

Bob
TG oreiF 8891

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2006 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TG oreiF 8891Send a Private Message to TG oreiF 8891Direct Link to This Post
I have a question that is slightly off the current topic; if anyone happens to know, I'd appreciate hearing the answer.

If I upgrade from Stock to the Seville / S-10 Blazer calipers and want to put SS braided flexible lines on the car, do I order the standard Fiero SS lines, or will the fittings not work with the Seville calipers? If they don't fit, where can I get adapters or are there lines for a different car which will fit?

Thanks

------------------
1988 Fiero GT
Cleveland Fiero Club

topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2006 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TG oreiF 8891:

I have a question that is slightly off the current topic; if anyone happens to know, I'd appreciate hearing the answer.

If I upgrade from Stock to the Seville / S-10 Blazer calipers and want to put SS braided flexible lines on the car, do I order the standard Fiero SS lines, or will the fittings not work with the Seville calipers? If they don't fit, where can I get adapters or are there lines for a different car which will fit?

Thanks

THe Fiero lines will fit the Caddy calipers.

kevin23k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2006 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kevin23kSend a Private Message to kevin23kDirect Link to This Post
Hey RJblaze sent you a PM.
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2007 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
Hey all.....long time no chat! Just letting everyone know that I am taking orders for the brake bracket sets (front and rear) for this upgrade. If you are interested, just drop me a PM to place an order. I have already heard from : bluefiero, 86goldse4speed, Kevin23k, htexans1, Hurricane, MartyK, 87FieroGT, LFiero67, and GODFATHER. Please contact me as soon as you can so I can get this order rolling. I only need one more request to start the order. Please be sure that you DEFINITELY want these before you PM me (sorry....had a few issues the last time), as I will hold you to your order.

Just so there is no question.....the sets are $80.00 + shipping for both front and rear (add $40.00 for an extra of either) and will contain 2 front brackets and 2 10 degree rear brackets. If you want the 5 degree rear brackets, please notify me (no change in price). I will be posting this in the mall with a very similar title so everyone will recognize it.

Thanks
rjblaze
PFF
System Bot
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2007 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
Just an update........Bracket sets will be $92.00 (shipping included in U.S.) which is for four brackets.

Check the mall for "Improved 11 1/4 inch brake brackets"
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2007 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
These are excellent parts. I highly recommend them. Thanks again!

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

BrewCheese

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2007 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrewCheeseSend a Private Message to BrewCheeseDirect Link to This Post
I agree, very very good product! Not to mention a great price!

Jason
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2007 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys....I appreciate the creds!
Oslo

Feedback score:    (53)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2007 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post
hmmm
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2007 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
hmmmm?
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2007 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone who ordered the 5 degree rear brackets actually tried them and are they really any better? Inquiring minds want to know.
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2007 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
Just an update....Please check the Mall for ordering information.....time is drawing near!
LS1 Troy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2007 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LS1 TroySend a Private Message to LS1 TroyDirect Link to This Post
Can someone post a couple pictures of the modified front hub? I'd like to see what material was left after the rotor was removed.

Thanks,
Troy
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2007 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
Here you go Troy:

Nolan

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 01-16-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
LS1 Troy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2007 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LS1 TroySend a Private Message to LS1 TroyDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Nolan.

I've noticed that most people only remove the flat portion of the rotor from the front hub. Has anyone removed the rest of the material that connects the rim mounting face to the rotor? If these questions make no sense, here's a picture of what I'm talking about. It's a cross-section of the hub. the red represents the removed material. The right half is (more or less) how it appears Sourmug's hubs are cut. The left half is another possible way to cut them. Has anyone done it this way? Is there a reason why it can't be done this way?

Thanks,
Troy

[This message has been edited by LS1 Troy (edited 01-16-2007).]

tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2007 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
Mine are cut the way you are saying, but they were done that way for a Grand Am brake swap I currently have on the car. It would cost more to remove the extra material and really doesn't gain you anything. The weight savings would be minimal. It's easy to just remove the rotor portion.

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2007 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Actually, it's easier and cheaper to do the way LS1 Troy asked about. My rotors were done that way and it is VERY easy and VERY quick to do it that way on a lathe.
LS1 Troy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2007 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LS1 TroySend a Private Message to LS1 TroyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

Actually, it's easier and cheaper to do the way LS1 Troy asked about. My rotors were done that way and it is VERY easy and VERY quick to do it that way on a lathe.

Heck, If your careful not to get into the gussets between the flange and the bearing housing, I think you could do it with a recip. saw (sawsall).
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2007 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
I don't know if I'd do that...
Aside from the potential balance issues, I just wouldn't want to put it on my car if it looked like someone hacked it up with a sawzall.
LS1 Troy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2007 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LS1 TroySend a Private Message to LS1 TroyDirect Link to This Post
I would have to agree. That's why the word "CAREFUL" was used above

I guess the correct term might be "extremely careful." Also, what I was thinking of was removing the disk with the sawsall, leaving some room for error, and then cleaning up the hub to make it look nice. I'll give it a shot and send back some pictures.

Later,
Troy

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2007 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
removing that much material can be done - and has worked for some - but it has also cause the hub to crack at the stud holes when inserting new studs one a couple occassions. its slightly higher risk.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2007 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
I had a hub done in the conventional way crack when I put new studs in it. They're cheap hubs.
psychosurfer

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2007 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for psychosurferSend a Private Message to psychosurferDirect Link to This Post
I searched and found a few diagrams but nothing that is really clear. When Using this upgrade bracket, what exactly do I need to do to the stock rotors. I know I lathe off the friction surface where the factory pads sit, but do i need to machine the hub surface down to accomodate the added thickness of the lebarron rotors, or do I just use longer studs? Thank you for the any infomation to clarify and pics would be GREAT!
Thanks!
Surfs Up!
topcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2007 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
The front rotors have to have the disc parted off, but you do not want to try to machine the "hub" portion that is left. You buy longer studs to make up the difference. Stud part number is 610-323 and available at most discount parts stores.

When I did this upgrade, I took the time to replace the front wheel bearings since I had everything out of the way, and the bearings should be serviced on a regular basis anyway.
PFF
System Bot
psychosurfer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2007 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for psychosurferSend a Private Message to psychosurferDirect Link to This Post
Topcat, Thanks for the quick response. So I just remove teh friction surface are a of teh rotors on teh front and use the longer studs, what about on teh rear? How much further will this make my wheels spaced out? Im assuming just the thickness of the Lebarron rotors?
topcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2007 05:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
The rears have a hub that will accept the LeBaron rotors without any mods to it. You simply remove the Fiero rotor and install the Lebaron one. The stocks studs fit okay.

psychosurfer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2007 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for psychosurferSend a Private Message to psychosurferDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info! Teh rears sound simple, the fronts sound easy enough, just wish they didnt space the front tires out any, my current offset looks perfect with the alignment of my rebody and dont want teh wheels to "hang out" of the wheel well.
DandRauto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2007 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DandRautoSend a Private Message to DandRautoDirect Link to This Post
On the rears, The Lebaron Rotors need to have the large center hole made larger to fit over the raised portion of the rear hub. It is not much, but is needed to have the rotor lay flat on the face of the hub.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2007 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
??

You sure you have the right rotors? The wheel pilot on the rear hubs is the same diameter as the wheel pilot on the front hubs.
topcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2007 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
^ ^ ^ ^

What he said

Originally posted by DandRauto:

On the rears, The Lebaron Rotors need to have the large center hole made larger to fit over the raised portion of the rear hub. It is not much, but is needed to have the rotor lay flat on the face of the hub.

psychosurfer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2007 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for psychosurferSend a Private Message to psychosurferDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, one more question...I know this conversion is suppost to use the rear calipers from a 85 seville. Well, I was at teh yard today and snagged some from an 86 seville. I got teh bracketts, parking braek levers etc for a few bucks. Will they work. Auto Zone shows a different part number between teh two years.

NAyone have any pics of this conversion completed on the rear?

[This message has been edited by psychosurfer (edited 01-30-2007).]

topcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2007 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
It looks like they changed the design in 1986. I did a part number search on the AC Delco Website, and it shows the caliper working on cars from 1979 - 1985.

I am not sure of the differences.

I think I have a couple of pics on my other PC. If no one past pics in the next couple of hours, I will see about uploading them when I get home in a few hours.

BTW, here is a great website to demystify part number applicability.

http://198.208.187.182/inte...2&autosel=A&pageno=0

[This message has been edited by topcat (edited 01-30-2007).]

psychosurfer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2007 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for psychosurferSend a Private Message to psychosurferDirect Link to This Post
Great web site. Well, looks like Ive got some extra caddy calipers...Oh well! I woudl really appreciate the pics if anyone gets a chance!
-Scott
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock