Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Improvement on "standard" 11 1/4 inch brakes (Page 12)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 
Previous Page | Next Page
Improvement on "standard" 11 1/4 inch brakes by Will
Started on: 12-29-2004 05:37 PM
Replies: 640
Last post by: fierofan25 on 07-19-2011 05:20 PM
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2006 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rjblaze:
Will, do you know the distance between the centerline of the caliper bolt holes (verticle line between them) and the inner curve you machined to clear the hub?

Thanks

I don't know it right off and I haven't been able to find my AutoCAD CD since the last time I loaded my OS.
IP: Logged
rjblaze

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2006 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BrewCheese:

Hmm..wonder where my brackets are. I cant wait to get workin on em!

Thanks for your input on rotors and calipers.

Jason

You didn't get them yet? I can't believe it is taking so long. They were sent out last saturday morning. Several guys got them wednesday and thursday. Sorry it's taking so long.
topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2006 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
Okay... I am done and took it around the block for a quick test.

First the backets are a quality product no probleMs wih this transaction at all.

The front calipers went on so easy so I had to run into some sort of difficulty, right? The rear was not as easy as the fronts. The rear inboard brake pad needs to be trimmed on the corner to clear the spindle (as indicated early on in this thread). Sounds easy enough, and if I had a high speed grinder it would have been real easy. I had to make due with a hack saw and metal file. It was slow going, and it took several try outs before I got them trimmed enough to fit. That took more time than I had hoped. So I get them on then I realized that I had to pull the rear clipers off in order to bleed them since the bleeder port is on the bottom... so off they came. I got them bled, went to try the brakes and the pedal went right to the floor. After pulling them off and bleeding them again, I had the same problem. My junkyard M/C was bad... so off to autozone for a replacement. It took all of 10 minutes to swap the M/C out. I bench bled it got the lines hooked up, pulled the rear calipers again to bleed them, put them back on and the right rear caliper bolt decided to strip its threads.

Off to Autozone again for a new caliper bolt/pin. Got them back on and then the parking brake refused to adjust enough to engage so I futzed around with the cables, parking brake levers, and calipers for another two hours. I got enough parking brake to hold the car on a small incline but nothing like what they should be. I will fart around with them later.

Put the wheels back on, and took it for a ride. First impressions are that I need to bleed the brakes more. I was solo today, so I used a vacuum pump that was leaking around the bleeder ports so I do not think I got a good bleed on the rears. The pedal is not as firm as I think it should be. However if I jump on the brakes the car stops very very fast.. I did not try to lock them up since I need to break the new pads in but there is no doubt in my mind the car will lock all four in a pinch. They are more responsive than the stock brakes... even with the rears having what I suspect as air in them.

Overall I am very pleased, they look great, stop great and this modification was very easy on the wallet. The only thing I do not like is having the bleeder port on the bottom. But I can live with that,

[This message has been edited by topcat (edited 11-11-2006).]

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2006 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by topcat:

Overall I am very pleased, they look great, stop great and this modification was very easy on the wallet. The only thing I do not like is having the bleeder port on the bottom. But I can live with that,

I thought that with the info in the post, it took care of the "bleeder on the bottom" issue?
topcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2006 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kohburn:

yeah bleeders are on the bottom - I pulled the calipers off to bleed them, been thinking of a way to drill and tap for a new bleeder up top.

i made -3 based on some measurements I took off my modified break pads - it "should" fit but i can't guarantee it as i never bothered making another set of adaptors - might be worth making something out of wood for a mock up

On page 6
Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2006 03:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Got mine yesterday! Can't wait to get out and get all my parts together so I can do this.
Kohburn

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2006 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

You didn't get them yet? I can't believe it is taking so long. They were sent out last saturday morning. Several guys got them wednesday and thursday. Sorry it's taking so long.

mine came Friday - look good - If it ever stops raining i may try the 5* calipers this week.
Vonov

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2006 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post

Put the wheels back on, and took it for a ride. First impressions are that I need to bleed the brakes more. I was solo today, so I used a vacuum pump that was leaking around the bleeder ports so I do not think I got a good bleed on the rears. The pedal is not as firm as I think it should be. However if I jump on the brakes the car stops very very fast.. I did not try to lock them up since I need to break the new pads in but there is no doubt in my mind the car will lock all four in a pinch. They are more responsive than the stock brakes... even with the rears having what I suspect as air in them.

I thought this would be a good place to interject a little relevant gearhead know-how.

FWIW...AutoZone, and most of the other parts dealers, sell a brake bleed fitting with a check valve that allows you to bleed brakes solo. I have them on my Formula, and they're a breeze to use.

As insurance against getting air in the lines, however, I simultaneously use another "solo" trick, and slip a snug-fit piece of clear plastic tubing over the end of the bleed fitting, and run the other end into a mason jar about 1/4 full of clean brake fluid. A spring-loaded clothes pin on the tubing at the rim of the jar will help keep the tubing in place. The idea is to keep the end of the line covered in brake fluid. Air is expelled as bubbles, and only brake fluid is sucked back into the line. Once you don't see any more bubbles (it helps to make your line long enough to see the jar from the driver's seat) you tighten your bleed fitting and move to the next one. Make sure the master cylinder stays topped off so you don't get air in that way.
Of course, if you're rich, you can use FOUR mason jars...lol

Ok. back to our regularly scheduled topic.

[This message has been edited by Vonov (edited 11-13-2006).]

BrewCheese

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2006 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrewCheeseSend a Private Message to BrewCheeseDirect Link to This Post
Just wanted to say I got my brackets today and they look really nice! Now I just gotta collect all the parts to do the job.

Also, I was wondering if I could just swap out the front and leave the back stock until I redo the rear end sometime next year. If I would do that which MC would I use?

Thanks,
Jason
sactodreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2006 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sactodreamerSend a Private Message to sactodreamerDirect Link to This Post
I got my brackets the other day and they look great also, Thanks Bob for the great work. I too have to collect all of the other parts before starting this project. It is good to hear the completed updates.
tesmith66

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2006 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
I know it's probably posted somewhere in this thread (but I can't seem to find it), but could someone please post the Blazer master cylinder part number? Thanks!

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

PFF
System Bot
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2006 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:

I know it's probably posted somewhere in this thread (but I can't seem to find it), but could someone please post the Blazer master cylinder part number? Thanks!

Before you get the master cylinder. Has anyone tried this upgrade with the S-10 booster install without the master cylinder upgrade? Has anyone tried the upgrade with the stock booster and stock master? I was wondering if the master was really necessary.
Vonov

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2006 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post
I just realized...this setup is for 84 - 87, right? Unless I'm mistaken, looks like I'll have a set of brackets for sale, lol...
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2006 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
OOOOOOHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!! (Mr. Bill?)
Let's find out for sure.....I'm pretty sure they won't work on an '88. Don't worry, I haven't deposited the M.O. yet (just got it yesterday) and haven't sent the brackets yet. I'll just mail back the M.O. you sent and see if someone else wants them. I think if I sign the M.O. and send it back you can deposit it (no?).

Help from out there.....they won't work on an '88 right?
topcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2006 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
If I am not mistaken these will not work for the 88 FIero. Archie sells the correct brackets for the 88 year model.
Vonov

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2006 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post

OOOOOOHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!! (Mr. Bill?)
Let's find out for sure.....I'm pretty sure they won't work on an '88. Don't worry, I haven't deposited the M.O. yet (just got it yesterday) and haven't sent the brackets yet. I'll just mail back the M.O. you sent and see if someone else wants them. I think if I sign the M.O. and send it back you can deposit it (no?).

Ok, that'll work...I started reviewing the thread in preparation for starting on this project, and realized my error. As it happens, though, Archie is overstocked on the '88 brackets, and is having a sale ($140 as opposed to $240) so, I'll take advantage of that; I spoke to him this afternoon, so the M.O. you'll be returning will take care of half of that.
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2006 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
I'll just sign it and return it to you. Won't be able to hit the P.O. until maybe saturday due to my work schedule. I'll try earlier if possible.
LFiero67

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2006 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Direct Link to This Post
any bracket sets available??

the 5 degree version if possible, but the 10 degree set would be fine too.

Email : the_icy_1@yahoo.com

Thanks.

Cory
Vonov

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2006 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post

I'll just sign it and return it to you. Won't be able to hit the P.O. until maybe saturday due to my work schedule. I'll try earlier if possible.

At your convenience, sir, and thanks.

LFiero67, I think one set just became available, lol...
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2006 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, the last set has already been spoken for. I will be trying to get another 10 (or more) orders from PFF'ers after the holidays sometime after new years so keep watching.
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2006 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
Well, the last sets of the first run have been shipped. It seems everyone has been pleased with them. I will be checking on interest for another group of 10 (or more) order after the Holidays. If you are interested in ordering, just send me a P.M. (please include which rear brackets you want).

Thanks to the first group for getting this rolling and special thanks to Will and Kohburn for this great upgrade thread.

Bob
PFF
System Bot
topcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2006 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post

Put the wheels back on, and took it for a ride. First impressions are that I need to bleed the brakes more. I was solo today, so I used a vacuum pump that was leaking around the bleeder ports so I do not think I got a good bleed on the rears. The pedal is not as firm as I think it should be.

I put the car up on jacks today to bleed the rears. This time I used a little teflon tape on the bleeder screws, then used the vac pump on them. I got a good seal, and a good bleed this time. The pedal felt much firmer. I readjusted the parking brake, so it works now. Took it around the block and...
THE BRAKES ARE AWESOME! The car stops on a dime, and I can easily lock all four. Again, I did not try locking them, but it ain't hard. The money spent on this upgrade was cash well spent.
sactodreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2006 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sactodreamerSend a Private Message to sactodreamerDirect Link to This Post
I found these on Ebay..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AAAQ%3AUS%3A1&viewitem=&item=260052850410

These are for the front so I emailed them asking if they were available for the 89 rear and they said yes. The list on page #5 says I need four 89 rear rotors. They (on Ebay) also have the rotors listed with a 2.5 or 3.0 in the description, I believe that's the engine size. That shouldn't be a factor when ordering. I would just like confirmation from the experts on the forum before I order them. Thanks

[This message has been edited by sactodreamer (edited 11-21-2006).]

topcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2006 03:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sactodreamer:

I found these on Ebay..

These are for the front so I emailed them asking if they were available for the 89 rear and they said yes. The list on page #5 says I need four 89 rear rotors. They (on Ebay) also have the rotors listed with a 2.5 or 3.0 in the description, I believe that's the engine size. That shouldn't be a factor when ordering. I would just like confirmation from the experts on the forum before I order them. Thanks

Just make sure you get the larger diameter rotor. These fit the 14" wheel so they are the smaller 10" rotor.

From eBay auction:
VEHICLE: 91-96 CHRYSLER LeBaron 3.0
VEHICLE DETAILS: 14" Rim
PART NUMBER: GD7067G
FRONT/REAR: Front

The 11.25" rotor came with the stock 15" wheel. You also want to make sure the ones you get are vented.
FierOmar

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2006 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarDirect Link to This Post
The 89-90 LeBaron GTC came with the vented rear rotors. As I recall, the IROC Daytona had the same set up. Most Chrysler FWD cars from this era cam with solid rotor on the rear (if equipped with disc brakes).

------------------
FierOmar

PTFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2006 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PTFieroSend a Private Message to PTFieroDirect Link to This Post

Well, the last sets of the first run have been shipped. It seems everyone has been pleased with them. I will be checking on interest for another group of 10 (or more) order after the Holidays. If you are interested in ordering, just send me a P.M. (please include which rear brackets you want).

Thanks to the first group for getting this rolling and special thanks to Will and Kohburn for this great upgrade thread.

Bob

Just wanted to say that I got mine over the weekend and they look great. A big thanks to Bob and all his effort.

sactodreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2006 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sactodreamerSend a Private Message to sactodreamerDirect Link to This Post
tharvey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2006 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tharveySend a Private Message to tharveyDirect Link to This Post
these are for 91-96 seville, I thought you needed 85 seville calipers

tim
sactodreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2006 03:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sactodreamerSend a Private Message to sactodreamerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tharvey:

these are for 91-96 seville, I thought you needed 85 seville calipers

tim

HAHAHA oops your right.....I looked at this part:

CADILLAC
ALLANTE (V BODY FRONT & REAR WHEEL DRIVE)...........1992-1987
ELDORADO (E BODY (FWD & RWD)..............................1991-1986
SEVILLE, STS (K BODY (FWD & RWD)..........................1991-1986

I didn't look that the begining years, just saw the ending years as 1986 and thought the start (to the left when most normal people put the starting year) was 1981 or something lower then 1986. Good catch.......I was just testing you!

[This message has been edited by sactodreamer (edited 11-24-2006).]

Scythe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2006 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ScytheSend a Private Message to ScytheDirect Link to This Post
Bump, payment for shipping & paypal is sent.
GODFATHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2006 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHERDirect Link to This Post
I don't know if the brackects that archie sells and yours rj are the same design but on my 86 my rear caliper bleeders are on top. In archie video you switch the e. brk levers from side to side r\r on l\r and l\r on r\r. Hope this helps anyone.

Joe

[This message has been edited by GODFATHER (edited 11-30-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
Brembo-Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2006 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brembo-FieroSend a Private Message to Brembo-FieroDirect Link to This Post
Hi,

has anybody done this conversion with the SSBC calipers?
Would like to see some pics. Is it worth the money?

------------------
Jürgen Martin
white GT 87
Germany

sactodreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2006 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sactodreamerSend a Private Message to sactodreamerDirect Link to This Post
I just called rock auto and it's going to run me $456 shipped for the cheapest loaded remaned 1985 calipers. This is with the core charge included (core: $10 each for the fronts and $69 each for the rears). Does that sound right? The rear cores are what hurts.
sactodreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2006 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sactodreamerSend a Private Message to sactodreamerDirect Link to This Post

sactodreamer

169 posts
Member since Nov 2003
I just checked autozone online and with core loaded would be $310 +tax. A much better deal especially if I can get a hold of some cores.
topcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2006 03:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post

I just checked autozone online and with core loaded would be $310 +tax. A much better deal especially if I can get a hold of some cores.

The price of the rear calipers sounds about right. I went junk yard shopping and found a pretty decent looking 85 Seville in the last yard I checked. The calipers looked good, so I paid 20 bucks each for them. Took a wire wheel to them, painted them, bought new bolts from AutoZone for 8 bucks and you can never tell they were used. It was a gamble but the yard I got them from had a money back warranty on them, so I really had nothing to lose.
sactodreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2006 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sactodreamerSend a Private Message to sactodreamerDirect Link to This Post
Do the seville 86-91 rear brake calipers work for this??
topcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2006 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post

Do the seville 86-91 rear brake calipers work for this??

It does not look like it.

Here is a link to an AC Delco webpage that you can use to cross reference parts for GM vehicles.
http://198.208.187.182/internet/VehiclePartFits.jsp

sactodreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2006 01:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sactodreamerSend a Private Message to sactodreamerDirect Link to This Post
Cool, Thanks for the link.
sactodreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2006 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sactodreamerSend a Private Message to sactodreamerDirect Link to This Post
I just ordered my loaded calipers from AutoZone. The total was $330 including the core charge. The core fronts were $23 and the rears were $68. I have to decide if it's worth combing through U-Pull-It for some rears as cores. I think it's $20 per caliper there, the fronts aren't worth it, but is it worth the $28 for the rears.....probably not.
sactodreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2006 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sactodreamerSend a Private Message to sactodreamerDirect Link to This Post

sactodreamer

169 posts
Member since Nov 2003

so get the front and rear calipers from an 85 seville - the 4 rear rotors from an 89 chrysler lebaron - and the rest of the parts list

thats what I just ordered -
1- 92 blazer 1-1/8" bore master cyl
4- 85 caddillac seville front and rear calipers
4- 94 chrysler lebaron vented rear rotors
10- wheel studs (610-323)
2- 86 fiero front brake hoses (to use on the rear)

I was about to order a set of rotors before I caught this............Do we need 89 Lebaron rotors or 94? I ask because the place I was going to order them show years 91-96 not 89-96.

[This message has been edited by sactodreamer (edited 12-06-2006).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock