Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Improvement on "standard" 11 1/4 inch brakes (Page 10)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 
Previous Page | Next Page
Improvement on "standard" 11 1/4 inch brakes by Will
Started on: 12-29-2004 05:37 PM
Replies: 640
Last post by: fierofan25 on 07-19-2011 05:20 PM
RUNDLC

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RUNDLCSend a Private Message to RUNDLCDirect Link to This Post
FOUND THEM THANKS

Can anyone give me contact info on streetdreams? are the a good company to deal with? Has anyone had any bad experiences?

Thank in advance

RUNDLC

[This message has been edited by RUNDLC (edited 10-27-2006).]

IP: Logged
rjblaze

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
Streetdreams hubs for the front......do you have the link? I am interested in stronger front hubs.
RUNDLC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RUNDLCSend a Private Message to RUNDLCDirect Link to This Post
RJB, here is the link, I talked to the guy today, around 800. for drop spindles & hubs!!
Yikes May be the only way though if I can't spare the 1/4"

http://www.streetdreamsbyross.com/fiero.php

RUNDLC

BTW did you get both my PM'S?
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys..........THEY'RE HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need to know how to post a pic so I can show you them, they look great!

RUNDLC......I got you PM's......just didn't get a chance to respond. I am not sure how to do the paypal invoice thing, but will send you my paypal addy. I just want to give those "couple" guys that have not paid or responded to my PM's about their payment or continued interest 'til Wednesday as I promised. If I do not hear from them by then, (several did answer my PM's but three didn't) a set is reserved for you. I have to be fair about this, you know? It looks like you, multmigs, and one other guy might not have to wait for the next batch of 10 order. I will let you know on Wednesday night or Thursday morming via a PM.
BrewCheese

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrewCheeseSend a Private Message to BrewCheeseDirect Link to This Post
Cant wait to see pics! If you wanna post picture you gotta download the Pennocks Image Poster thats on the bottom of the page. Just click on it and follow the directions. If you want you can send them to me and I'l post them for ya. I only gotta couple more min and I gotta run though. Email Hyhy4u@hotmail.com

Thanks,
Jason
Scythe

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ScytheSend a Private Message to ScytheDirect Link to This Post
PM Sent - My money's in.
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2006 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
Hey BrewCheese,
Can you post these pics? I am e-mailing them to you now.

Thanks
Bob
multmigs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2006 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for multmigsSend a Private Message to multmigsDirect Link to This Post
I was just reading through this thing again and came across the statements regarding using either the front or rear lebaron rotors. Can someone explain the difference to me, I just want to be clear what I'm doing since my car is in 100 pieces and I may not get started putting the brakes on any time soon here. ALso anyone find any other rotors that are nicer than the stock stuff besides the ones listed at summit racing? post a part # / price if you do. Great work otherwise
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2006 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
Multmigs,
The difference between the front Lebaron rotors and the rear Lebaron rotors is two-fold. First, the front rotors would require thicker spacers between the knuckle and the brackets and their center hole is larger than the Fiero original hub/rotor which would require concentric rings to properly center the rotor on the "hub". Check out "brakeperformance.com" for some real nice rear Lebaron rotors. They are a bit pricey at $200.00/set of two, but I think the quality seems worth it. These are the ones I am getting. Slotted, ball-milled (not cross-drilled which can crack), and plated.
BrewCheese

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2006 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BrewCheeseSend a Private Message to BrewCheeseDirect Link to This Post
I got the pics but there WAY to big! I cant get them downsized enough to post them. Help!

Jason

P.S.- They look really good!
topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2006 02:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BrewCheese:

I got the pics but there WAY to big! I cant get them downsized enough to post them. Help!

Jason

P.S.- They look really good!

Send them to me.

tconey01@bellsouth.net

I will resize and post them
PFF
System Bot
Vonov

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2006 02:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post
DANG!!! KNEW I should've kept an eye on this thread...
Mark me down as wanting a set of brackets from the next batch. Hell, if I have to, I'll pay what you paid for that first one. Thanks!
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2006 07:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
Send me a PM so I can put you on the "new" list.
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2006 07:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
Hurry up with the pics!! I'm dyin' over here.

Good work rjblaze (aka Santa)

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

dmancheno

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2006 07:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dmanchenoSend a Private Message to dmanchenoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kohburn:

wrong kit - those are vette parts - this is the one you'd want - http://www.westcoastfiero.com/brakes/brakes_11.html

and the wilwood metrics will fit - the 3's are the wrong size

I was actually thinking of using the 13" rotors with the wilwoods.
BrewCheese

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2006 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrewCheeseSend a Private Message to BrewCheeseDirect Link to This Post
Topcat: Coming your way!

Jason
topcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2006 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
Tada!

Let me know how much I owe for shipping, and I will get it to you via paypal.

rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2006 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
Glad you guy's like them. My next adventure will be to get them all out to you. Looks like Saturday will be my run to the P.O. to get out as many as I can (my work hours...5 a.m.- 6+p.m.... keep me from getting there during the week).

Hey PTFiero! Still haven't heard from you. You helped me get this whole thing rolling. Do you still want your set of fronts and 5 degree rears? Please let me know.

Pontiac boi, do you still want your set?

I will PM everyone that I get a set sent to on saturday with your shipping.

Bob
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2006 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RUNDLC:

RJB, here is the link, I talked to the guy today, around 800. for drop spindles & hubs!!
Yikes May be the only way though if I can't spare the 1/4"

http://www.streetdreamsbyross.com/fiero.php

RUNDLC

BTW did you get both my PM'S?

These hubs will not work with the brackets pictured above.
BrewCheese

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2006 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrewCheeseSend a Private Message to BrewCheeseDirect Link to This Post
Sounds good! Let me know how much I owe ya.

Thanks for the hard work
Jason
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2006 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Will......I guess I will try the camaro spindle retro-fit I saw in another thread to get stronger bearings up front. I do plan to auto-cross mine in the future and am worried about breakage.
PFF
System Bot
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2006 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
OOPS! Forgot an important question. Will these work with Held's 1" drop front spindles? Are those strong enough for what I plan?
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2006 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
I wouldn't worry much about AutoXing on the stock bearings unless you'll be using out-and-out race slicks... I'd be more concerned about sustained high speeds on them.
RUNDLC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2006 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RUNDLCSend a Private Message to RUNDLCDirect Link to This Post
Will, ? What adapters would work with the Streetdreams setup? While I was talking to the guy he did mention your name as a contact person for adapters and the rest of the swap, he said he only provided the spindles/hubs. This is turning into a can of worms for me.

RUNDLC
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2006 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by topcat:

Well.... these brackets *might* work. This is how they have to be made to get around the Street Dreams hubs.
Mine will be available after *I* test them, but I don't know when that will be as I'm bogged down in my engine build due to crank machining/balancing right now.
RUNDLC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2006 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RUNDLCSend a Private Message to RUNDLCDirect Link to This Post
OK , I really see the difference in the setup! Is there a way to get an accurate drawing of the bracket so that a local shop could possibly do some for me If I go the S.D. route? I need to let RBlaze know something real soon on his setup, I do have an issue moving my wheels out AT ALL.

RUNDLC
RUNDLC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2006 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RUNDLCSend a Private Message to RUNDLCDirect Link to This Post

RUNDLC

802 posts
Member since Jul 2005
OK , I really see the difference in the setup! Is there a way to get an accurate drawing of the bracket so that a local shop could possibly do some for me If I go the S.D. route? I need to let RBlaze know something real soon on his setup, I do have an issue moving my wheels out AT ALL.

RUNDLC
Vonov

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2006 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post
PM sent.
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2006 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
Will.....How far apart are the bracket/spindle holes on your brackets that you show with the S.D. hubs? Are they the same distance apart as a stock fiero spindle/bracket holes. It looks like these modified Zettner brackets I had made for everyone would work with the S.D. spindles/hubs with some minor relieving between the bolt holes. I hope this is the case because I too am interested in the S.D. spindles/hubs. Would the same spacers be needed between the bracket and spindle with the Lebaron rotors? As I said a while ago in this thread, "You are da bomb!!!!!!"

Thanks,
Bob
OldBob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2006 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OldBobSend a Private Message to OldBobDirect Link to This Post
Great Thread!!

Has ANYONE actually used the 5 degree (third design) on a conversion?

I have all four calipers and would like to try this setup.

Bob
Vonov

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2006 06:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

I wouldn't worry much about AutoXing on the stock bearings unless you'll be using out-and-out race slicks... I'd be more concerned about sustained high speeds on them.

What's "high" and "sustained," IYHO? I regularly make 45 min runs at 85 mph in my Formula on a mostly forgotten strip of roadway that almost no one uses anymore; some maps don't even show it. In surprisingly good shape; pavement VERY coarse, though, sort of like a grinding wheel; I shudder to think of what it would be like to drop a bike on it, it reminds me of some of the volcanic paving material used in Hawaii---super grip but eats tires at a good clip. Maybe I need to think about the Camaro spindles...
PFF
System Bot
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2006 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

so from left to right you can see the:
-front bracket
-10* rear bracket (requires removing the corner off of the inside pad for clearance)
-5* rear bracket (yet untested)

i don't see any of the 5* ones in the boxes..

[This message has been edited by Kohburn (edited 11-01-2006).]

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2006 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Kohburn

7349 posts
Member since Jul 2003

Originally posted by Will:

looks like at the most some grinding of the bracket to clear the larger center hub would be necessary. as long as the bolt hole centers are the same then it should work.
topcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2006 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post

so from left to right you can see the:

-10* rear bracket (requires removing the corner off of the inside pad for clearance)

looks like you got mostly the 10* ones..

I am sure I will understand what needs to be removed once I get the brackets and calipers mounted, but does anyone have a picture so I can see what I am in for?

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2006 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

I am sure I will understand what needs to be removed once I get the brackets and calipers mounted, but does anyone have a picture so I can see what I am in for?

i never took a picture, but i can draw one... it cuts off really easy with a high speed grinder

[This message has been edited by Kohburn (edited 11-01-2006).]

rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2006 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
The 5 degree ones (most guys ordered the 10 degree ones) are standing vertically in the box in the upper right hand corner in the middle of the front bracket stack. I had both rear sets (5 and 10) made for me and only one other guy ordered a 5 degree set. I might have one 5 degree and one 10 degree rear set extra, but I need to sort out all the orders first. I am trying to see if I can get two front bracket sets made to even everything out. Somehow I got more stuff than ordered.
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2006 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rjblaze:

The 5 degree ones (most guys ordered the 10 degree ones) are standing vertically in the box in the upper right hand corner in the middle of the front bracket stack. I had both rear sets (5 and 10) made for me and only one other guy ordered a 5 degree set. I might have one 5 degree and one 10 degree rear set extra, but I need to sort out all the orders first. I am trying to see if I can get two front bracket sets made to even everything out. Somehow I got more stuff than ordered.

ah well I'd like to try the 5 degrees on my car since i've already got the 10's on there - but i'll use either one since i don't mind modifying my pads to fit.

when are you gonna start shipping them out?
BrewCheese

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2006 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrewCheeseSend a Private Message to BrewCheeseDirect Link to This Post
Whats the difference between the 5 and 10 degree sets?? I just ordered "a set", so what am I getting?

Thanks,
Jason
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2006 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vonov:

What's "high" and "sustained," IYHO? I regularly make 45 min runs at 85 mph in my Formula on a mostly forgotten strip of roadway that almost no one uses anymore; some maps don't even show it. In surprisingly good shape; pavement VERY coarse, though, sort of like a grinding wheel; I shudder to think of what it would be like to drop a bike on it, it reminds me of some of the volcanic paving material used in Hawaii---super grip but eats tires at a good clip. Maybe I need to think about the Camaro spindles...

I'd say over 100 mph. If you rear the Fiero Racing List, you'll find that the bearings that fail are not the '84-'87 fronts. Your Formula can not benefit in any way from the Street Dreams knuckles, as those are for '84-'87 cars.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2006 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Will

14216 posts
Member since Jun 2000

looks like at the most some grinding of the bracket to clear the larger center hub would be necessary. as long as the bolt hole centers are the same then it should work.

The bolt centers ARE the same, but I don't know how much of the brackets currently for sale would have to be removed and I probably wouldn't be wild about it, since they look kinda thin to start with.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock