Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  New design Getrag slave cylinders (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
New design Getrag slave cylinders by Rodney
Started on: 01-08-2009 08:02 AM
Replies: 45
Last post by: CoolBlue87GT on 10-06-2009 10:04 AM
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2009 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post
I've made some progress on having new slave cylinders made for the Fiero Getrag. They will be an aluminum housing and have a double seal on the aluminum piston like the MR2 slave pistons some are using in their Isuzu/4 speed slaves. I hope to have both the piston and housing hard anodized. Don't get too excited yet. From what I have found so far I should be able to get this done. It will take time. A mold has to be made for the rubber boot. Dies or what ever it takes to make the aluminum castings etc. Maybe by mid summer I will have them in stock. Once I have them I will look at making them for the Isuzu's and 4 speeds. I'm not sure on the price. The tooling costs are high and I have to spread them out over projected sales. I would guess they may sell in the $80 range. They should last long term and be rebuildable. I will offer rebuilding parts for them also. These will be complete with a new bleeder and new push rod. Good bye rusty slaves!!

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2009 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
Way to go Rodney!!
Will the piston be avail. at auto zone if it ever needs rebuilding? As in is it from a popular car or homemade?
Fiero38SC

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2009 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero38SCSend a Private Message to Fiero38SCDirect Link to This Post
I can't wait. When they are available, we will all be thanking Rodney again.

Jason
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post01-08-2009 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by JazzMan (edited 04-21-2009).]

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2009 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

Way to go Rodney!!
Will the piston be avail. at auto zone if it ever needs rebuilding? As in is it from a popular car or homemade?

This will be made by a company that makes automotive slave cylinders. I sent them an OEM GM Getrag slave for reference. I am contracting with this company to make these. These will only be available from me. All the rebuilding parts will be available from me only. I am pressing them hard for top quality material and machining. I have told them the slaves available today are fair to poor quality and these have to be top quality.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

www.rodneydickman.com
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2009 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post

Rodney

4715 posts
Member since Feb 2000

Originally posted by JazzMan:

Are you keeping the bore diameter the same as stock, 15/16"? You might consider reducing the bore diameter a tad to give a slightly higher clutch release point than stock, which seems to often be all the way to the floor. As soon as I find a rebuildable steel Isuzu cylinder I'm doing the MR2 rebuild for my Getrag; the 13/16" bore should get my clutch release point about halfway through pedal stroke, though increase pedal force slightly.

JazzMan

They will be the same in bore size. For myself - I have a dual friction Center Force clutch in my 88 and my clutch pedal action is excellent. Changing to a smaller bore my be a problem for some people. My clutch starts to engage around 1/2 way up. Making the bore smaller my not be a good choice.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

www.rodneydickman.com
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Fiero Owner

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2009 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero OwnerSend a Private Message to Fiero OwnerDirect Link to This Post
Excellent Rodney! I just bought a new slave last year and in a month it was all rusty, should have painted it. I will be sure I will pick one of these up from you when they become available.
LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2009 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
Awesome!!!

Little by little, I'll quite happily convert my cars from Pontiac Fieros into Dickman Fieros... whoohoo!

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com
1988 Red Fiero Formula Convertible
*Desktop Photo Here* (click either link for pics)
click here for my MySpace page

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2009 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Excellent!

You are the man!
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2009 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LZeitgeist:

Awesome!!!

Little by little, I'll quite happily convert my cars from Pontiac Fieros into Dickman Fieros... whoohoo!

I love it! I too am working on a "Dickman" Fiero.....lol

Way to go Rodney!

foxgapfiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2009 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for foxgapfieroSend a Private Message to foxgapfieroDirect Link to This Post
Excellent Rodney! As soon as I get yours my brand new from the Fiero Store slave will be for sale. I have the same problem as others, engage near the floor.
PFF
System Bot
kevin

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2009 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinDirect Link to This Post
Rodney, you are an inspiration! Perhaps that beautiful lady freind of yours is giving you an extra spurt of stimulation. Your insight on what we need is extrodinary. The quality you offer will be the best---as always Cannot wait for your product(s).

Cordially,
Kevin
MOBILE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2009 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MOBILESend a Private Message to MOBILEDirect Link to This Post
I too, am very proud to own a "Dickman Fiero". Love everything I've bought...In fact, I think I'll need a few more things in the next month or two!

Thanks Rodney!

Chad

------------------

Member MN Fieros Forever
Self Installed SC3800/getrag. 4 years in Avionics & 14 years in Car Electronics Experience........ 19"s.. w/ 13" Brakes all around.

fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2009 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Owner:

Excellent Rodney! I just bought a new slave last year and in a month it was all rusty, should have painted it. I will be sure I will pick one of these up from you when they become available.

If you have a chance, put POR-15 on the slave. That's what mine has, and I like it.

Just a thought so it doesn't look all rusty.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, loaded, 5-speed

Samohtneas

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2009 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SamohtneasSend a Private Message to SamohtneasDirect Link to This Post
Definitely adding this to my favorites! I've heard great things about you Mr. Rodney, hopefully soon I'll be able to pick this up for the 4 speeds.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2009 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post
These aluminum Getrag slave cylinders are finally getting assembled. After many discussions with the manufacturer the final design is now finished. One long discussion we had was the piston. The piston will be plated steel. The manufacturer says this is the best option. I wanted the piston to be hard anodized aluminum. They told me they have never made an aluminum cylinder and used a hard anodized aluminum piston. They told me they had no idea if they would last long term. Using a plated steel piston in the cylinder is a time tested and well proven method. The diameter tolerance and surface finish of the piston is critical to long term durability and this can be easily controlled using a steel piston. So I agreed to this. I will be offering rebuilding parts so if a piston is a problem it can be replaced. The biggest problem I have seen is the bore of the cylinder would rust on the steel GM slaves and the cast iron aftermarket slaves. This aluminum housing Getrag slave eliminates that problem. Corrosion on the steel piston should not be a problem. The plating will insure the piston does not rust.

They will have this double seal on the piston.

They will be complete with a new bleeder and new plated push rod.

I can not send out my sample because the piston is not plated and will rust right away.

I should have these in stock around the end of July. Price will probably be $79.99 plus shipping. Considering the poor quality cast iron versions available today are over $80.00 these will cost less and will be a very good quality replacement for the original steel GM version Getrag slave.

Later this year I will add the rebuild and replacement parts for this aluminum Getrag slave cylinder to my web page. Every part (except for the aluminum cylinder) will be available at a reasonable cost.

Later this year or early next year I will have the Isuzu/V-6 4 speed slave in stock also.

Thank you
Rodney Dickman
Rodney Dickman's Automotive Acc's
Web page: www.rodneydickman.com
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/fax 262-835-9575
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2009 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
As soon as they are ready, I'll be ordering one. Keep us informed.
mid engine monsters

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2009 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mid engine monstersSend a Private Message to mid engine monstersDirect Link to This Post
:d you rock dude...
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2009 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
hey rodney,
have you thought about getting a speed bleeder as a add on for the slave?
I sent my old bleeder in to a company and they "converted "it to a speed bleeder. Gotta tell ya, that thing made the whole bleeding process so much easier! They did it for under $12.
Pm me and I will give you the info.

------------------

88 GT, 3800SC, Getrag 5sp. 12" Vette Rotors,Custom stuff done

TopNotch

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2009 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

have you thought about getting a speed bleeder as a add on for the slave?

Great idea! Or just make the bleeder screw a common size, so you can go to any parts store and get a speed bleeder for it off the Help pegboard. Why they made the bleeder screws in stock slaves such an odd size is beyond me.

[This message has been edited by TopNotch (edited 06-30-2009).]

jpfiero

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2009 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jpfieroSend a Private Message to jpfieroDirect Link to This Post
Excellent! It will be great to have a good quality replacement available! I would also like to having the speedbleeder available if posible or have a standard size bleed screw, It would be nice to be able to order everything from one place.

Have you thought of making a master cylinder as well? The replacements cause lots of problems and and you can make one for all fieros since they are the same bore for all cars. The company that you are dealing with may even have something that is very close to working as is. The '90 chev 1500 2wd truck has a very similar master, Check out my thread "help me build a new clutch master" in technical questions for some info and picks.

P.S. I love the parts I got from you Rodney excellent quality!

------------------
*Formerly RockChip*
'86 GT, fwd 5spd, 3400v6, megasquirt2 v3, 11.25" brakes, front mount battery, 1" chopped springs,sollid cradle bushings, poly all around, ect.
'92 AWD Astro,4.3l cpi v6, 5" lift kit, flopro muffler
'69 amc ambassador, 2 door hardtop, 390ci, 3spd auto, future project.
'01 yz426f, stock
'07 Subaru Forester
'01 Grand am GT - for sale

PFF
System Bot
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2009 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
I apparently need one of these. I will wait and keep adding fluid until you have them ready to sell Rodney.

Speed bleeder would be a plus.

Brad
ltlfrari

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2009 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
These folks sell a speed bleeder conversion kit (SBBMWS 7m x 12m) that fits the suzi/muncie slave, would that fit a getrag slave?

http://www.racerpartswholes.../3854/Speed_Bleeders

Basically it's an an adapter and a speed bleeder.

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2009 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post

This is my new slave bleeder. Take the stock bleeder out and put this in. The one way valve stops any fluid from reversing. Once you are finished remove it and install the stock bleeder. It makes bleeding the slave a one person job. It will be on my new web page. My new web page is taking longer than I thought. I do have them in stock. $14.99 plus shipping.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

www.rodneydickman.com
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2009 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
Consider another one sold (both the slave and the bleeder) once they're both ready. I've been thoroughly happy with everything from you so far, I don't anticipate this to be any different (actually, you're the only Fiero vendor I haven't had a problem with).

Thanks for having these slaves made!

-Steven
ProjectPb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2009 04:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ProjectPbSend a Private Message to ProjectPbDirect Link to This Post
Rodney i dont know if i missed it in the post but will u have a slave for the Isuzu 5 speed 4 cyl. i have the autozone junk one now and will thats all i need to say.

thanks jeff
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2009 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
I have enough confidence in Rodney and his products that I'll send the money whenever he says he's ready to accept it for this product. I know it will be as advertised.

Rodney, just let me know and I'll send the money for the first, second or one hundreth made. I need one yesterday, or actually about three months ago.

Ron

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 07-04-2009).]

TopNotch

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2009 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

Once you are finished remove it and install the stock bleeder.

Won't air get in while you're doing that?
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2009 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TopNotch:

Won't air get in while you're doing that?

Since the master and slave is about the same height no fluid will move in the few seconds it take to remove my bleeder and reinstall the stock bleeder. Maybe if you remove my bleeder and go for lunch some fluid may come out of the slave but no air will go into the slave. Possibly if the rear of the car is raised higher some air could go into the slave but this would take a long time.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

www.rodneydickman.com
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post07-08-2009 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Owner:

I painted mine and it still rusted

This does sound cool.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2009 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post
Looks like I will have some here the end of next week. Maybe 20-30 of them. They hurried to get some finished so I could get some ASAP.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

www.rodneydickman.com
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

PFF
System Bot
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2009 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
Great job Rodney!

Thank you for offering this. I can't stand the ones available today. They are all junk. I know your stuff will be fine because you cross all the "T"s and dot all the "I"s.

PS... I am currently testing your endlinks. So far so good.

------------------
Paul

My IMSA Build: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/789315
HHP Adjustable Sway Bars: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/036556.html

twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2009 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
Bump, I really need a new slave.

P.M. sent.

Brad
FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2009 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYERDirect Link to This Post
I just installed one of these for a friend last week and it works great, bolted right in and bled real easy. He has around 500km on it so far and it is still working fine.
Rodney I was checking your web site to get one for myself but could not find them on your site, will they be on your site soon or do I have to contact you directly to get one. Dan
CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2009 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post
Ready also. PM sent.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2009 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post
I have several (maybe 20 or so) in stock. Waiting for the rest. They will get here in a few (maybe several) weeks. $79.95 plus $7 shipping. If you have paypal let me know and I can send a paypal request. Or call me.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

www.rodneydickman.com
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2009 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
Paypal sent.

I LOVE YOU MAN! And I don't even want your Bud Light.

Brad
TK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2009 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
Got mine Monday and installed it. 15 minutes later I'm cruizin'. Works like a champ!

Now for the time test. The dual seals should do the trick.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2009 03:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
Just hit the 5k mile mark on mine and still works beautifuly. if you have a getrag transmission with the stock or non rodney slave get this for when the sh** hits the fan. worth every penny.
CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2009 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post
Got my order yesterday. Thanks Rodney for the quick response.

Check & fill reservoir

Check often

Since it was a hot day, I put up my tent. Boy, glad I did.
It might look stupid to the neighbors, but kept me comfortable.

Had trouble the the bottom connection. Both connections are right hand thread,
but when one is upside down, you need to turn the wrench the other direction.

When I removed the nuts, one side came off stud and all.

New slave in place, with Rodney's bleeder. It worked pretty good. I found after getting
all the air out of the lines, I pushed the slave in three times, got the remaining air out.

Replace the bleeder for the regular plug. I put the rubber plug on top

Took the car for a test drive, the clutch works just great.

Special thanks to TK , pontiackid8g & Rodney, they answered a few of my PM questions, and Rodney even took a Sunday phone call.

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 10-04-2009).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock