Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  New Dual Plenum Intakes for Fiero (2.8) V6 (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
New Dual Plenum Intakes for Fiero (2.8) V6 by toddshotrods
Started on: 08-14-2007 11:41 PM
Replies: 192
Last post by: toddshotrods on 01-12-2010 09:26 PM
toddshotrods

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2007 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post
In the thread on custom parts, one of the requests was for a dual plenum intake for the 2.8 V6. I came up with an idea, did a rough sketch model, worked with my suppliers, and am close to putting the parts into production.

The intakes will be a bolt-on part. Each plenum is a four-part fabriacted assembly - fully TIG-welded.

You'll have to remove the middle intake, drill the mounting holes out, bolt the plenums to it, and reinstall the assembly back on the car. You'll need another throttle body too, and whatever type of air induction/filter you choose.

What I need to know, by a show of hands, is how much interest there is in this, so I can develop the final pricing. Pricing depends on quantity. I can make two or them or two hundred...

I am not asking for a commitment, or deposits. I just want an idea of how much serious interest there is; and how much posisibly/someday/if I hit the "number" interest...

------------------
toddshotrods.com - wanna ride?
crazy projects, features, articles, art & more

[This message has been edited by toddshotrods (edited 08-15-2007).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mtownfiero

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2007 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mtownfieroSend a Private Message to mtownfieroDirect Link to This Post
I thought about trying to do this myself but i dont have the tools or skill. Depending on the price im really interested especially if it gets the much needed improved airflow the stock intake doesnt allow.
WisconsinGT

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2007 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WisconsinGTSend a Private Message to WisconsinGTDirect Link to This Post
Awesome!!! Count me in. Thanks!
F-I-E-R-O

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2007 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-ODirect Link to This Post
I'd be interested.
Mr.PBody

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2007 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
If you could give us some idea on price that would help weed out buyers.
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2007 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post
I should have the pricing worked out tomorrow. I have the quotes from my suppliers, and just have to go over everything with a fine toothed comb to make sure I'm not missing anything. So far it's right where I had hoped it would be...

------------------

ceverhart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2007 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ceverhartSend a Private Message to ceverhartDirect Link to This Post
I am in for at least 1, price,performance and quality will be factors for more.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2007 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
the tubes are the easy part of this.
are you going to supply stuff for the vacuum accessories?
for me, I'd like to see a center balancing tube, which also has all the vacuum stuff working of it.
trying to remember all the things that need vacuum:
brake booster, PCV, cruise control & MAP is all I am remembering....
also - the EGR & IAC systems
and, will you have a suggested throttle body sizes & sources? most folk will be around 200 HP's, and 2 X 52mm throttle bodies is a bit oversized.
and a linkage system for the throttle cable, cruise control cable & auto trans downshift cable?
Fiero Owner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2007 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero OwnerSend a Private Message to Fiero OwnerDirect Link to This Post
I'd be very interested in this.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2007 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
I'm not interested, but I was thinking one thing that might make it more tempting is if you didn't have to drill out the bolt holes on the middle intake. That keeps you from having to replace the middle intake should you ever decide to go back to original.

toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2007 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

are you going to supply stuff for the vacuum accessories?
for me, I'd like to see a center balancing tube, which also has all the vacuum stuff working of it.
trying to remember all the things that need vacuum:
brake booster, PCV, cruise control & MAP is all I am remembering....
also - the EGR & IAC systems
and, will you have a suggested throttle body sizes & sources? most folk will be around 200 HP's, and 2 X 52mm throttle bodies is a bit oversized.
and a linkage system for the throttle cable, cruise control cable & auto trans downshift cable?

That's what I am working on today to develop a price.

As for the TB's, they will use two stock throttle bodies. Yes, it may be a bit oversized but this combination has been run successfully by other members. The goal, as per the original request for this part, was for a simple swap that would take away some of the restriction, and add a lot to the under hood appearance of the engine.

There will be provision for the vacuum accerssories. As for engine management, one TB is hooked up as stock, and is installed there as an "air valve" of sorts. This set up is a compromise, it is not an all-out performance dyno-proven part. To develop this part, I read this thread in its entirety and followed what had been done successfully by other Fiero owners, hoping to make some improvements along the way.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2007 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post

toddshotrods

1177 posts
Member since Aug 2004

Originally posted by Formula88:

I'm not interested, but I was thinking one thing that might make it more tempting is if you didn't have to drill out the bolt holes on the middle intake. That keeps you from having to replace the middle intake should you ever decide to go back to original.

My original version was like that, but someone suggested the "drill-and-bolt-from-the-bottom" concept. When I considered it I found that this really took a lot of fabrication work out of making the intakes - which means they'll be cheaper. The savings in fabrication would easily pay for a spare middle intake.

------------------

88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2007 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTDirect Link to This Post
looks good, how about burning chips and tuning with this setup? A good dyno on a stock motor / compared to that same motor with this setup would more than likely seal the deal among buyers.
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2007 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. I am but a small piece of the puzzle. There are some very capable guys around here for burning the chips, and hopefully someone will be willing to put their car on the dyno to see what it does. I'll do whatever I can to help develop it fully though.

------------------

88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2007 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTDirect Link to This Post
its good that there are other possibilities besides the trueleo intake *which is a great intake setup*, but more competition in the market, and different possible setups are great.
topher_time

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2007 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeDirect Link to This Post
I am definately getting one for my 3.4, it will compliment it perfectly. Can't wait to see the final production pieces!
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2007 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
oo! oo! over here! count my brother (merlot566jka) in too. are these made with the correct length and size intake runners and tb bore size and all the other math stuff needed for designing intakes? my brother could give u a bunch of good info on all that since he cant do anything in alaska but read 60* v6 books....pm him

[This message has been edited by americasfuture2k (edited 08-15-2007).]

David DeVoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2007 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David DeVoeSend a Private Message to David DeVoeDirect Link to This Post
I've seen this done and talked to the builder. It works very well and has, in my opinion only one drawback and that is that a portion of the decklid has to be removed to clear the forward TB. Other than that its a flatout winner, and from everything I've seen the 2 TB's are not to much.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2007 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

You know I'm interested.
Do you still need the middle intake for development?
Very sorry. I got sidetracked and haven't shipped it yet.
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2007 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

You know I'm interested.
Do you still need the middle intake for development?

Heya Raydar...

don't you have the Truleo intake?

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2007 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by toddshotrods:

My original version was like that, but someone suggested the "drill-and-bolt-from-the-bottom" concept. When I considered it I found that this really took a lot of fabrication work out of making the intakes - which means they'll be cheaper. The savings in fabrication would easily pay for a spare middle intake.

Ever think about square tubing?
PFF
System Bot
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2007 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:
...Do you still need the middle intake for development?

Yup, and no problem. Did you get the address (PM). Thanks

------------------

toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2007 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post

toddshotrods

1177 posts
Member since Aug 2004

Originally posted by Will:
Ever think about square tubing?

Actually, I did. I made the decision for round tube trying to design a part that would appeal to and meet the needs of the general populace. I think I understand correctly that appearance, and user friendliness, is a bigger priority than those last few tenths of performance potential. With that in mind I tried to develop something that would give a modest performance improvement (due to less restriction), and a huge smile when the deck lid is raised.

That being said, I would love to work with some of you guys (after this one is on the shelves) on a performance version. My guess is the cost will be higher and the installation will be more complicated, but...

I would also love to hear your thoughts on a square version Will

------------------

pswayne

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2007 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pswayneSend a Private Message to pswayneDirect Link to This Post
Somebody in our club (GA Fiero Club) has the exact setup you are talking about (2 round tubes, 2 throttle bodies) on his car (with 3.4 engine). I should have taken a picture at our club meeting this past Saturday. It was a nice looking setup.
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2007 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post
Probably one of the ones that inspired this whole project. It wasn't my idea, it was a request; and those who had gone before were pointed to for inspiration.

------------------

F-I-E-R-O

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2007 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-ODirect Link to This Post

I would also love to hear your thoughts on a square version Will

Something about a square version appeals to me more than the tubed. In my mind it seems to fit the style of a Fiero, and looks more performance/agressive than round pipes sitting on top of the engine. The thing that sticks in my mind the most about the squared version is that I fell in love with this:

Though the more I think of it, this isn't really all that bad- especially if it's nice and shiny...

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2007 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
You should read FrancisT's thread regarding the development of the Truelo manifold. It took A LOT of effort to develop and test it, but a lot of people bought and like it. I hope yours turns out well . I like the rectangular ones better, but skip the huge "fiero" lettering and let people put what thy want on them . They would probably be better for clearance with the rear hatch too.

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 08-15-2007).]

crytical point

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2007 06:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crytical pointSend a Private Message to crytical pointDirect Link to This Post
count me in I would like to see my car get the best out of the stock engine.
David DeVoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2007 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for David DeVoeSend a Private Message to David DeVoeDirect Link to This Post
That round tube pic above IS the guy from Georgia. He drove that car from Georgia to Michigan to attend the MFC show last month and I had a chance to talk to him about it. Very interesting guy and probably someone you should talk to about this.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2007 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by F-I-E-R-O:

I think this is the one pswayne is speaking of. I'm looking at the way the wires, intake hose, and other things are positioned, and they look identical to Tim's 85GT from Columbus, Ga.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2007 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Round would be the most efficient shape for airflow, but that doesn't take any other considerations into account. Transition between the plenums and runners is more difficult with round tubing, and is a potenial spot for lost flow.
PFF
System Bot
Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2007 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
it wouldn't be as convenient runner wise, but aesthecticly i'd need to have them face the front of the car. more like if you took a stock upper, closed off the end and had two inlets kind of branching out toward the rear window. all my car projects have the scoops in front of the rear wheels or over the top scoops and being able to use both left and right as intakes would appeal to me more.
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2007 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mr.PBody:
If you could give us some idea on price that would help weed out buyers.

I should have the pricing worked out tomorrow. I have the quotes from my suppliers, and just have to go over everything with a fine toothed comb to make sure I'm not missing anything. So far it's right where I had hoped it would be...

I apologize for the delay. I have been going over the numbers and trying to mentally run through the process to find the little things that I may have missed, and the problems that can surface.

I am trying to do this for $600. That price would include two complete plenums that are fully TIG-welded, with a natural aluminum finish, and include the necessary ports for your vacuum accessories; and the throttle linkage to connect the two throttle bodies.

I am working on a few options to sell will the intakes. The main items are a matching, TIG-welded, vacuum can; and custom brackets for the accessories that are located near the intakes.

I can't guarantee that price yet, but so far it's working on paper. Are we in the ballpark???

------------------

[This message has been edited by toddshotrods (edited 08-17-2007).]

TT Slick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2007 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TT SlickSend a Private Message to TT SlickDirect Link to This Post
A few things that everyone should be aware of about the intake pictured above. 1. It has no hot water hook-up, there are no lines that run to the thermo. housing. I live in Georgia and have never had a problem with iceing. 2. There is no provision for EGR. I live south of Atlanta and we don't have emisions testing, yet. 3. The vacuum canister has been eliminated, although this could be used because the vacuum points still exists under the throttle body and are still functional. Just some points to ponder. One other thing is I had to modify the deck lid for throttle hook-up, although, this could be solved by making the hook-up next to the "out board" or rear throttle body.
ceverhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2007 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ceverhartSend a Private Message to ceverhartDirect Link to This Post
I am in for sure at that price, let me know when you are ready.
Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2007 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
I am interested in both the round and square.
Coinage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2007 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoinageClick Here to visit Coinage's HomePageSend a Private Message to CoinageDirect Link to This Post
What were you going to do for where the tube meets the lower part on the inside of the tube?
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2007 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ceverhart:
I am in for sure at that price, let me know when you are ready.

Originally posted by Fiero1Fan:
I am interested in both the round and square.

Round tube is the only thing on the agenda right now, The square is a thought and possibility for the future but, honestly, any more work on this depends on how well the first version sells. I am okay with selling only a couple of them, but that would definitely negate the logic of doing another version.

Originally posted by Coinage:
What were you going to do for where the tube meets the lower part on the inside of the tube?

The intake ports on the plenum's base plate will be fully radiused. My understanding is that the biggest disturbance inside would be the air making an abrupt transition into the ports due to them having square leading edges. I decided early on to only offer the radiused port edges. As for the sides of the base plate that protrude into the plenum, I was considering extending the leading edge of the base plate a bit, and tapering it off so that it creates a ramp instead of an abrupt dead end for the incoming air.

Any well-versed types or experts on this issue, I am listening and open to suggestions that I can make, which will not increase the price of the product. The number one goal here was to offer a decent product for a reasonable price for people who purchased and drive budget sports cars. Changes in the model that do not require additional CNC set up time during the machining process are the type of improvements we're looking for; e.g. subtle changes to the shapes that improve the performance and/or aesthetics.

edited for typos - again...
------------------

[This message has been edited by toddshotrods (edited 08-19-2007).]

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2007 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
provisions for EGR (emissions) and vacuum (brake booster (!?) and cruise control) will probably be a BIG issue for a lot of people ....
Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2007 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Round tube is the only thing on the agenda right now, The square is a thought and possibility for the future but, honestly, any more work on this depends on how well the first version sells. I am okay with selling only a couple of them, but that would definitely negates the logic of doing another version.

Understood.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock