Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Skitime considering selling his GT. What is it worth? (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Skitime considering selling his GT. What is it worth? by skitime
Started on: 06-26-2007 09:49 PM
Replies: 55
Last post by: johnyrottin on 11-05-2007 04:42 PM
skitime

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 332
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2007 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post
I have been considering selling my GT. This car has been a part of me so this would be a hard decision. I have put a lot of my heart and soul into it. I have no idea what it would be worth. So what would you think? If you are not familiar with it check out the link in my signature.

------------------

Red 88 GT T-Top 3800 INTERCOOLED SUPERCHARGED
White 88 GT Stock

Click here to read the History of Skitimes Car

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mtownfiero

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2007 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mtownfieroSend a Private Message to mtownfieroDirect Link to This Post
I dont know what its worth and i know i couldnt afford it but i love all the things youve done to it and why would you sell it now when youve got it looking great?
turbo86se

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2007 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turbo86seSend a Private Message to turbo86seDirect Link to This Post
Hey Dave! Is this something you're seriously considering? I wish I hadn't sold my Fiero. I'd love to have it back right now.
fiero86_gt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2007 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero86_gtSend a Private Message to fiero86_gtDirect Link to This Post
What is with everyone wanting to sell there fiero's? I must admit I have thought about selling mine becuase of all the problems it has caused me but I know I would regret it. The fiero is like a drug once you get addicted you won't be able to stop
revin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2007 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
Put it on Ebay with a very high reserve and see what it brings in. If the bidder was close to what you wanted...Sell
thismanyfieros

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2007 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosDirect Link to This Post
i would say priceless dave..i would rather see you sell your soul...some would say for you it would be the same...just a thought..tim
JD86GT350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2007 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JD86GT350Send a Private Message to JD86GT350Direct Link to This Post

never thought I'd see the day

in order to get anything near what its really worth you'd have to find the right buyer, and there aren't nearly as many serious buyers at the level your car is at.

I've also considered selling latey, and honestly I figured I might be able to sell it for half its true value.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2007 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Dave: I couldn't put a price on your Fiero. It has body mods, a 3800SC conversion, great paint, engine mods and so many custom features. You'll never get back what you put into your GT so I would just keep it. All the folks that I knoew that sold their Fiero regretted it afterward, If you are bored with Fieros just start another project like a 4.9L, Ecotec, N* or even a Lambo kit!!! The great thing about a Fiero is that the possibilities for customizing are almost endless. Why sell your great American mid engine classic? Until recently a Fiero was the ONLY Mid Engine American car ever made. Now we have the Corvette but that car costs over $50,000.
Sounds like you need a new project to keep you interested in the hobby. Hope that you'll choose to stay in the Fiero family.

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo- 0-60 5.2 seconds
2006 3800SC Series III swap in progress
Engine Controls, PCM goodies,
re-programming & odd electronics stuff
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

SOULCRUSHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2007 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SOULCRUSHERClick Here to visit SOULCRUSHER's HomePageSend a Private Message to SOULCRUSHERDirect Link to This Post
I don't think you can put a price on yours SKI. It depends. You need to figure out what you would want for it and go from there. There is ALOT of custom work, and that could either help the value or could even hurt it. This is a tough question to answer.
I did have someone offer 15K for mine a year ago, but don't know how serious he was. And mine is NO WHERE near as sharp as yours. That being said, I could see yours selling in the 15-18K range?
Have to ask, why sell it? New Camaro in the plans?

------------------

1988 Purple Fiero GTw/SC3800 conversion
Best ET with 3.0 pulley,XPHOT cam, SS I/C and 105lb Valve springs: 12.38@110mph
Best 60 Foot ever: 1.699

pacethis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2007 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pacethisSend a Private Message to pacethisDirect Link to This Post
I'd think 15k minimum, with a serious buyer trapping high teens, low 20's. Nice ride
LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 06:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
To be entirely honest, I don't think it would sell for what it is worth - not because it's not one of the finest examples of Fieros out there today - I *love* your car! - but because, unless you can find a rare exception, it seems like people in general are always trying to save a buck and get more than what they're willing to pay for. (This isn't a 'slam', just a fact of life.)

I can't even begin to calculate the hours of time and attention to detail and everything you've put - both labor time and parts-wise - into your car... whoever buys it will be one of the luckiest Fiero owners out there. But I honestly feel that the market will not support what your car (or any custom Fiero, my own included) is truly worth in the actual dollars invested into making it what it is.

Good luck! I hope the deal that makes you happiest proves me wrong. ::smile::

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com
1988 Red Fiero Formula Convertible
*Desktop Photo Here* (click either link for pics)

PFF
System Bot
87FieroGTx

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroGTxClick Here to visit 87FieroGTx's HomePageSend a Private Message to 87FieroGTxDirect Link to This Post
Probably worth 15-20k but you'll be lucky to get 10k. Fiero guys are cheap...

dcfox

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dcfoxSend a Private Message to dcfoxDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Dave: I couldn't put a price on your Fiero. It has body mods, a 3800SC conversion, great paint, engine mods and so many custom features. You'll never get back what you put into your GT so I would just keep it. All the folks that I knoew that sold their Fiero regretted it afterward, If you are bored with Fieros just start another project like a 4.9L, Ecotec, N* or even a Lambo kit!!! The great thing about a Fiero is that the possibilities for customizing are almost endless. Why sell your great American mid engine classic? Until recently a Fiero was the ONLY Mid Engine American car ever made. Now we have the Corvette but that car costs over $50,000.
Sounds like you need a new project to keep you interested in the hobby. Hope that you'll choose to stay in the Fiero family.

Huh?Did I miss something?Since when is the Corvette a mid engined car?

Skitime...your car is awesome...wish I was in the market.

------------------
--David

Scythe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ScytheSend a Private Message to ScytheDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dcfox:

I think he's talking about: http://www.autoblog.com/200...oupe-headed-to-sema/

The Fiero is still the only American mid-engine car to ever go to production.
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scythe:
I think he's talking about: http://www.autoblog.com/200...oupe-headed-to-sema/

The Fiero is still the only American mid-engine car to ever go to production.

HA!

Yea forget about that. I completely ignore "concept" vehicles, or even early prototypes that havent started looking like a** yet. They will beat it with half the ugly tree and cut the HP in half before any car actualy makes it to production.
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Not sure how much it would sell for...

Try putting it up on the Fiero Store's website. I think it only costs 40 bucks, and they don't take a cut of the sellin' price...
Earl-R

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Earl-RSend a Private Message to Earl-RDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dcfox:

Two seperate sentences, he wasn't saying the Corvette was mid-engine.
Earl-R

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Earl-RSend a Private Message to Earl-RDirect Link to This Post

Earl-R

1285 posts
Member since Mar 2005
Dave,

I hope your kidding, I can't believe your thinking about selling it. If you do, I want to have a shot at buying it from you. Your GT was in part, the inspiration behind mine. Hopefully your going to wait a couple of months since I just started a new job

I would say $15-20K range

[This message has been edited by Earl-R (edited 06-27-2007).]

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scythe:

The Fiero was the first American mid-engine car to ever go to production.

FIXED...there have been others since, Ford GT is a recent example...
Mister

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
Hi Dave,

First, I would say - Please DO NOT SELL IT ! it is worth more then you'll ever get for it. it should sell for around $25-30K and that is low.

We've spoke about this idea in Carlisle, you might have your reasons and I understand, but the cost of a nice storage space
would be worth it (gives you time to re-think). no one would build a similar car to "your style", it is a one of a kind. store it until the 25th in 2008.

I would say, you can make an auction for it in the 25th show and if it brings the $$$ sell it.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Mister (edited 06-27-2007).]

sspeedstreet

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mtownfiero:

Why would you sell it now when you've got it looking great?

I bought a down and out 1966 Shelby GT350 in 1977. $2500.00. I brought it all back to original over the next three years. Once it was done it sat in the garage. I loved the car, but I realized what I really loved was the hunt, the acquisition and the restoration. Do I regret selling it? Sure. But I've had a lot of fun since with other cars, ultimately taking me to Fieros.

PFF
System Bot
AP2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AP2kSend a Private Message to AP2kDirect Link to This Post
I'll give you tree-fiddy.
Scythe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ScytheSend a Private Message to ScytheDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

FIXED...there have been others since, Ford GT is a recent example...

Thank you sir

That's what I get for waking up too early.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
There's no way you'll get what it's "worth" but then very few custom cars do. I'm guessing $15k - $20k.

But if you're serious about selling it, I'd take it to Barret Jackson with a $25k reserve. At least there you're likely to find buyers willing to spend the money. The question is if they're willing to spend the money on your car.
Skybax

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxDirect Link to This Post
As the saying goes... it's only worth what somebody is willing to pay. The car is worth much more to you than anyone else. Regardless of the amount of time and money put into the professional custom work, I would say around $10,000 to $12,500 is a realistic market value range for a serious cash buyer. Good luck with the sale.

[This message has been edited by Skybax (edited 06-27-2007).]

Chicken McNizzle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chicken McNizzleClick Here to visit Chicken McNizzle's HomePageSend a Private Message to Chicken McNizzleDirect Link to This Post
DAVE!!! DON'T SELL IT!!!!! That was one of the first West Coast Fiero sponsored cars!

------------------
Former West Coast Fiero Employee

New and Pre-Owned Auto Sales Consultant
Power Ford Valencia

pacethis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pacethisSend a Private Message to pacethisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Skybax:

As the saying goes... it's only worth what somebody is willing to pay. The car is worth much more to you than anyone else. Regardless of the amount of time and money put into the professional custom work, I would say around $10,000 to $12,500 is a realistic market value range for a serious cash buyer. Good luck with the sale.

I've seen cars 88GT TTops bring 10k w/o much trouble on eBay...I really think 15k is realistic. Someone will pay that for your car. Like I said, you may get closer to 20k, but it depends on finding the right buyer. It might be worth 25-30k, but it's pretty unrealistic to actually try and get that much out of it.

Oh, and by the way, the Corvette, at least from 97 on, is a mid-engine car. It's engine placement is still forward of the driver, but it is truly a mid-engine car by definition. Now, we Fiero owners like to define mid-engine as it's natural rear mid-engine, but there are other mid-engine configurations. Personally, the rear mid-engine is what I love about the fiero, and the handling that comes with it
Skybax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pacethis:
I've seen cars 88GT TTops bring 10k w/o much trouble on eBay

...and my 88 GT sold for $10k on eBay, but you are talking about a completely different set of rules.

Stock = Apples
Custom = Oranges

2 completely different worlds...

Different potential buyers (night & day)
Available potential buyers (many vs few)

The harsh realities of investing countless hours and money into this type of vehicle when you go to sell it.

CoryFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoryFieroSend a Private Message to CoryFieroDirect Link to This Post
Hmm I would say it would sell in the 15K-18K range. It is a very very nice example of a stock looking Fiero GT with a few mods. It was the best in it's time. Now Curly, Troyboy, and more are rasing the bar even higher with total body modifications, widebodys and tweeking every part on the Fiero.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
The best any Fiero can hope for right now is $15-20K. Im not going to say one might not go for more but it would have to take someone who really wants a car like this and has the money to buy it. There are too many who want to buy but just don't have the funds and when they have enough to pay over $20K they start to look around at what else is available.

Once you get over $20K the sports car market get real crowded and your options expand for even a 308 or 328 Ferarri at just over $30K with the major maintenance already done.

This is a great car and will be at or near the top value for a Fiero but there just is no real demand for high dollar Fiero's. It is not a reflection on this car but just on the model in general vs how many cars are still available.

If a Concept ASC convertible show car could not break $20K few would.

Unless you really needed to sell the car I would just store it. I am sure you have a lot of money in the car and in time you may recover it in a sale if you can afford to store it cheaply.

Cars are very poor investments unless you own a rare high demand model other wise you do it for the love and enjoyment.

The Fiero was a high volume market small Ponatiac and nothing is going to make it a rare Ferarri or a Hemi. Even modified cars have limited appeal and only good documentation on the build can help the value. Not the poor values of many Pro Street car. Only Street Rods seem to overcome the modified car stigma in collector cars or a noted name like Foose, Shelby or Baldwin.
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
I would bet the car would appraise out around the mid $20K range. So I would agree the sale price would be in the $15K-$20K range. It may take a while to sell it for what it is worth as the market is very limited for modded Fiero's. The Highly modified "Purple Pavement Eater" has been for sale since last fall and it is now priced down to $15,500.
My car was appraised at $22K but I seriously doubt I would get that much if I sold it. My appraisal is more for insurance purposes.

Being that your car is also highly respected among the Fiero community it is possible to locate a buyer who is willing to pay what it is worth. But again, it would take time to locate that particular buyer. I wouldn't go thru an auction house (like Barrett-Jackson) as the general opinion of Fiero's isn't high. BTW ~ Barrett-Jackson is a "no reserve" auction.

------------------

Happiness isn't around the corner...
Happiness IS the corner.

ZZ4 Powered !!

[This message has been edited by Oreif (edited 06-27-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
cwatson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cwatsonSend a Private Message to cwatsonDirect Link to This Post
The corvette is a mid engine car? Mid engine is if the engine is behind the front axles...
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
Wow, bizarre time to post that Dave. I had a dream last night that I bought your car.

What's the plan after the Fiero is gone?
skitime

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 332
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AusFiero:

Wow, bizarre time to post that Dave. I had a dream last night that I bought your car.

What's the plan after the Fiero is gone?

LOL Well at least you already test drove it. No plan really. Just checking what people thought it would be worth. Sort of feeling the waters. I would sell it if I felt I got what it was worth.

I appreciate everyones opinion. I had it appraised 5 years ago for insurance and at that time it was appraised at $25,000. I know I could not duplicate the car again for that amount but that is what it is insured at for assigned value. I know some have their cars appaised even higher than mine.

JD86GT350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JD86GT350Send a Private Message to JD86GT350Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by skitime:

LOL Well at least you already test drove it. No plan really. Just checking what people thought it would be worth. Sort of feeling the waters. I would sell it if I felt I got what it was worth.

I appreciate everyones opinion. I had it appraised 5 years ago for insurance and at that time it was appraised at $25,000. I know I could not duplicate the car again for that amount but that is what it is insured at for assigned value. I know some have their cars appaised even higher than mine.

shoot ski, my car is appraised at $19,500, I should think yours would be more like $30k.
Skybax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxDirect Link to This Post
Specialty Car Appraisals are grossly inflated across the board...

My 74 AMX was appraised at $20,000
Most people would ask $17,000 for it
I felt the car was worth an "honest" $11,700
It sold for $12,600

The key word here is honest. Anyone can ask any amount for their car, you see it all the time on eBay, people asking $14,000 for a $7000 car, but it will never sell. Every car I restored in the last 10 years I sold on eBay. They sold every time the first time and always exceeded the reserve. If you can be honest with yourself and ask a fair price, you will find a serious buyer every single time. There are 2 kinds of sellers... the ones who want to sell and the ones who are pretending to sell.

Mike Murphy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike MurphySend a Private Message to Mike MurphyDirect Link to This Post
Appraisals mean nothing except to validate the car for insurance or give a rough estimate of potential value. The only way you will ever know the true value is to find a buyer for the car. Start high and leave some negotiating room. I agree with other comments about the sports car market getting crowded after you pass $20K. Lots of choices. 90% of the driving population have no clue what a Fiero is those that do for the most part are mis-informed and want to talk fires etc. Probably one of the most misunderstood cars next to an Edsel or Corvair. Maybe someday it will improve as memories fade and some of our custom work and mods get the attention they deserve.

Tired of the Fiero and want to move on to another make? It happens to all of us sooner or later. I have owned as many as 10 at one time and had to ask myself why? My wife finally brought me to my senses and we have agreed to keep 2. THe DOHC and 1 Indy. That should last me until I'm at least 70 and that won't be for sometime.... well another 17 years. Maybe we won't have gas then and will just sit and look at our cars sitting in the garage wondering what to do with them?

Put them in a museum I guess.

[This message has been edited by Mike Murphy (edited 06-27-2007).]

RACE

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEDirect Link to This Post
Any car has only two values.

-What you would sell it for

or

What someone else is willing / able to pay.

I like the ebay idea however my advice is to keep it. You won't likely get what you want out of it and you will regret selling it.
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Find an old Nissan and sell your fiero to cover the costs...
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2007 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonDirect Link to This Post
Ski , If nobody said it already,,, "No matter who buys your car, it will always be called Ski-Times Fiero." Now thats real value.

I say keep it.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock