Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Skitime considering selling his GT. What is it worth? (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Skitime considering selling his GT. What is it worth? by skitime
Started on: 06-26-2007 09:49 PM
Replies: 55
Last post by: johnyrottin on 11-05-2007 04:42 PM
mtownfiero

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2007 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mtownfieroSend a Private Message to mtownfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scythe:
I think he's talking about: http://www.autoblog.com/200...oupe-headed-to-sema/

The Fiero is still the only American mid-engine car to ever go to production.

what about the pantera. Isnt that made by ford and is a mid engine?

IP: Logged
litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2007 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mtownfiero:
what about the pantera. Isnt that made by ford and is a mid engine?

The Pantera was built in Italy by De Tomaso. It had a 351 Cleveland Ford engine in it, and it was sold through Ford dealers in the US, but it wasn't considered an American car.

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2007 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I'm just now seeing this thread and I agree with most, that your car is at the top of the food chain as far as Fieros go, but the demand at the top is real low. Like you already know, you don't get out of it what you put in...But If you are patient I think you could get 15K to $20K.

If I could start over I wouldn't even be building Fieros, just wait for the good ones to go on sale. It's much cheaper, and quicker too.

htexans1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2007 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post
This Fiero (Skitimes) and several other Fieros like the one Mr. Fiero had (N* Convert) the GBCT and th e 'Stinger' are all cars that will always be remembered by their former owners given names.

Keep me in mind 'Skitime' if you still wish to sell the Fiero in Aug. Then i'll be in a position to afford it. Outside of the fact i'll be in Houston/Clear Lake with it, it'll still be "Skitimes Fiero"

------------------
1988 Fiero Formula T-tops
CJB 143 of 1252 "factory T-top cars"

[This message has been edited by htexans1 (edited 06-30-2007).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2007 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dcfox:

Huh?Did I miss something?Since when is the Corvette a mid engined car?

Skitime...your car is awesome...wish I was in the market.

Sadly, you never get near what you put into one unless its a rare old classic. I put almost $20K in my V8 Fiero and sold it for $5000, put nearly $35K in the Ferrari kit and happy to get 1/3. You never recover your own time/ wages.

Mid engine by tech definition is ' engine ahead of rear axle and behind the front axle '.....thus is Corvette.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 06-30-2007).]

30+mpg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2007 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skitime:

I have been considering selling my GT. This car has been a part of me so this would be a hard decision. I have put a lot of my heart and soul into it. I have no idea what it would be worth. So what would you think? If you are not familiar with it check out the link in my signature.

How many road miles have you put on the car in the past year? Don't count the miles it spent riding on a trailer.

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2007 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
After Dave reads this thread you can bet that he keeps his Fiero. I just don't see a large market demand for top end Fieros. I'd say that the car is worth much more but he'd be lucky to get $10K. Let's face it a Fiero is generally a poor mans collectible car. It got a bad rap as a fire trap in 1984 by Ralph Nader and it's reputation is so tarnished that it's become an oddity not a valuable collectible. There are other cars that fit this category so we know that price is a matter of demand. Vehicles like 57 Chevys, Vettes, Vintage 60's and 70's Muscle Cars, Old Antique cars, Grand Nationals, & some limited production cars are in high demand and can sell for big dollars. Others like Studebakers, Kaisers, late 70's smog cars, Volkswagens, Corvairs , many kit cars and Fieros just don't demand much resale value. I build my Fiero for fun , not investment and enjoy driving it. To restae a point that has been made here many times-YOU WON'T GET BACK WHAT YOU INVEST INTO A FIERO.

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo- 0-60 5.2 seconds
2006 3800SC Series III swap in progress
Engine Controls, PCM goodies,
re-programming & odd electronics stuff
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2007 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by htexans1:

Outside of the fact i'll be in Houston/Clear Lake with it, it'll still be "Skitimes Fiero"

Wooopie! That means I get to see it.

trots

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2007 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotsSend a Private Message to trotsDirect Link to This Post
i just sold mine last week. as said above you will never get back what you put into it. luckily i sold mine before i dropped too much into it.
MP5Na3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2007 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MP5Na3Send a Private Message to MP5Na3Direct Link to This Post
$10,000 to $15,000 (probably closer to the $12,000 area).

Is it a nice car. Darn skippy.

But. It is a 20 year old car that has that wonderful legend of being a piece of crap. Sorry but when you tell people it is a Fiero, there reaction is usually less than positive.

I have seen kitcars on ebay with $50,000 in them sell for less than $10,000 (bought a testerossa kit car that had verifiable receipts totaling over $38,000 for $6,800 two years ago).

Other than rare exceptions, expect to get "maybe" a quarter for every dollar you invest in your car (if that).

Sorry.
skitime

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 332
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2007 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post
I appreciate everyones comments. I believe I am I going to put it up for sale. If anyone is interested, please PM me. No tire kickers please. I would like to keep selling this car a private thing between buyer and seller.

------------------

Red 88 GT T-Top 3800 INTERCOOLED SUPERCHARGED
White 88 GT Stock

Click here to read the History of Skitimes Car

PFF
System Bot
Mr.PBody

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2007 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
That sucks I guess, but I understand it reaches a point when you are bored and need a new project, regardless of how nice the final product was. If you do sell, will we see a new project?
skitime

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 332
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2007 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mr.PBody:

That sucks I guess, but I understand it reaches a point when you are bored and need a new project, regardless of how nice the final product was. If you do sell, will we see a new project?

Oh, I am always working on something. I always try to make things better. Currently I have been playing outside the Fiero world. We actually have both our Fieros for sale. We need to sell at least one. Depending on what sells we could keep the other one.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2007 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pacethis:

I've seen cars 88GT TTops bring 10k w/o much trouble on eBay...I really think 15k is realistic. Someone will pay that for your car. Like I said, you may get closer to 20k, but it depends on finding the right buyer. It might be worth 25-30k, but it's pretty unrealistic to actually try and get that much out of it.

Oh, and by the way, the Corvette, at least from 97 on, is a mid-engine car. It's engine placement is still forward of the driver, but it is truly a mid-engine car by definition. Now, we Fiero owners like to define mid-engine as it's natural rear mid-engine, but there are other mid-engine configurations. Personally, the rear mid-engine is what I love about the fiero, and the handling that comes with it

Actually C4s (84-on) are also mid engine by tech def. The engine is between the front and rear axle lines.

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2007 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
Not true. There is a front mid-engine where the engine is set back behind the front axle. Example is the McLaren-Mercedes SLR.

Originally posted by cwatson:

The corvette is a mid engine car? Mid engine is if the engine is behind the front axles...

[This message has been edited by yellowstone (edited 11-05-2007).]

johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2007 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
Ski,

I was one of the guys looking at buying your car butI have got to tell you mate, I would keep it if I were you. I have sold a couple over the years and have regretted it every time. Having said that I knew what I wanted and that was the "top of the food chain" model 88 gt T-Top with a 5 speed. You are already there and the car is paid for. Just buy another and hold onto it...you can't go wrong that way. Also, and I hate to say this so please noone take this the wrong way, I differ in the opinion that your car would bring 10, 12, or 20 grand or whatever. I just bought a spotless 11kmile example for less than 8 grand and it was loaded with leather. I may be wrong and I would love to see you get this kind of money for your ride. I think we all would. I know that I can't buy it for that kind of price. In short, keep your car and continue to enjoy it. When I get back to the states next year I will pm you and see if it is still yours. If you still want to sell it then, I am sure we can come to some kind of arangement.

Cheers,
John
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock