Started on: 08-12-2005 03:09 PM
Replies: 24
Last post by: Riceburner98 on 08-13-2005 04:50 PM
dezie36

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2005 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dezie36Send a Private Message to dezie36Direct Link to This Post
Ok, I drove a friends 95 Grand Prix GTP... and it had a Heads Up Display... this is one of the single coolest things I’ve ever seen. SOOOOOO... what would it take to install this in my Fiero? I’m sure I can track down the projector... and splice it into the wiring and mount it... so... any one ever think of this?

or is this one more of my whacked out crazy ideas?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2005 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
its been done - search the archives a bit - the hardest part is getting it to interface with the ecm unless you have a 3800 swap
dezie36

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2005 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dezie36Send a Private Message to dezie36Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kohburn:

its been done - search the archives a bit - the hardest part is getting it to interface with the ecm unless you have a 3800 swap

I did do a search only came up with one thread... not much info... I have a 350... maybe theres one for a corvette or trans am...

86fierofun

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2005 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunDirect Link to This Post
Newer corvettes have hud
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

JKFIERO

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2005 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JKFIEROSend a Private Message to JKFIERODirect Link to This Post
One of the members on here was actually manufacturing them.
And VERY inexpensively.
I can't find it either, but maybe someone will remember who.
87convert

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2005 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87convertSend a Private Message to 87convertDirect Link to This Post
I took the HUD and dash cover out of 4 different cars to play with; 90 GP turbo, 95 Bonneville, 95 GP and 93 Cutlass. All of the units work the same way and will accept the Fiero speedo input signal and work. The last 3 are much smaller than the first one. Integration is a different problem because the radio speaker is where the HUD wants to be in the dash. Sooooo........I bought a PISA ZR-2 dash and integrated the Bonneville pieces into it. There are some pictures in the ZR-2 dash thread.

Rolland

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2005 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Or offered in the N* Caddy
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2005 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by JKFIERO:

One of the members on here was actually manufacturing them.
And VERY inexpensively.
I can't find it either, but maybe someone will remember who.

riceburner98 is his pff name.

------------------
A coward dies a thousand deaths..................A soldier dies but once.

Red 86 SE
Yellow 87 GT
Gold 86 SE (wrecked)
Red 84 2.5 Coupe

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2005 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Interfacing the HUD with the Fiero electronics is the easy part. It's nearly plug and play. The hard part is mounting a HUD in a stock dash. Fortunately my dash is not stock.

------------------

88 GT T-Top, 88 Fastback Chop-top (Archie #14), 1984 Indy, and 88 Chop Top T-top
Firebird Interior Installation Website

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2005 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Hey JScott, you have a pic of the HUD prior to mounting it?
PFF
System Bot
wiccantoy

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2005 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wiccantoySend a Private Message to wiccantoyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Interfacing the HUD with the Fiero electronics is the easy part. It's nearly plug and play. The hard part is mounting a HUD in a stock dash. Fortunately my dash is not stock.

why are there 2 dark greens with white stripe?

now if i make a custom pod for the hud i can hard wire this in to any year fiero ?

------------------

86 and 87 fiero database www.geocities.com/cwandall/fiero.html

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2005 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by wiccantoy:

why are there 2 dark greens with white stripe?

now if i make a custom pod for the hud i can hard wire this in to any year fiero ?

The colors on the left are the colors observed on the Bonneville unit. I don't know why there are two dark greens with white stripe.

The only tricky part is the VSS input on the HUD is expecting a 4000 pulse per mile signal, (buffered square wave). Only the 88 Fiero has that output since it was provided to drive the Electro-hydraulic power steering. On an 84-87 you would have to use the raw output of the VSS which is a 4000 pulse per mile sine wave. I've never tried that but from what I hear it can be erratic at low speeds.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 08-12-2005).]

TK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2005 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
Actually I think pin N on all of the clusters is 4k. It's the output of the bufffer before the divide by 2. I can check the pin if needed. There is 4k output on the Fiero speedo in all years (well, I know for sure 85 and up).

Edit - Confirmed pin N is 4000 PPM output from speedo.

[This message has been edited by TK (edited 08-12-2005).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2005 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Hey JScott, you have a pic of the HUD prior to mounting it?

I forgot what year Bonneville mine came out of, but it's one of the older ones, probably early 90s. It used a cable to adjust the mirror and the newer ones use motors. It's also quite a bit larger than the newer one. If I were to do another one I would look for the smaller motorized version.

Here's a shot of it when I had my dash out.

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2005 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

jscott1

21676 posts
Member since Dec 2001

Originally posted by TK:

Edit - Confirmed pin N is 4000 PPM output from speedo.

This would be great if true but pin N is not used for VSS on any cluster I am aware of. Pin M is the 4000 output on the 88. I'm looking at two GT clusters right now and there isn't even any copper where pin N would be.

What data did you use to confirm pin N?

Edit, I've checked a total of 5 clusters and I have yet to find one with an active Pin N... I may not know a lot about Fieros, but I do know clusters

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 08-12-2005).]

fieroparts.com

Feedback score:    (57)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 185
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2005 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroparts.comClick Here to visit fieroparts.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroparts.comDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kohburn:

I've done 3 of them going back to 1990 in a stock 85 GT and I'm not talking about the cheap one that lays on the dash.

[This message has been edited by fieroparts.com (edited 08-12-2005).]

dezie36

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2005 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dezie36Send a Private Message to dezie36Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierofreak00:

riceburner98 is his pff name.

We're sorry, but the recipient you've entered, riceburner98, is not a registered member of our BB. Please double-check the spelling.

Did he get banned?

87convert

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2005 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87convertSend a Private Message to 87convertDirect Link to This Post
It is true that at low speeds the HUD/Speedo combo can be erratic. I used a signal converter I got from a friend of mine to split the signal to the speedo and HUD and it works just fine now.

Rolland

TK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2005 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
Jscott1, do any of your clusters have a trace from the CS8524 chip pin 7 to the connector? There is also a 10u cap from that trace to ground. Pin 7 is the buffered output before the divider.

At the same time, if you ain't got it, it don't matter.

dezie36

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2005 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dezie36Send a Private Message to dezie36Direct Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2005 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by TK:

Jscott1, do any of your clusters have a trace from the CS8524 chip pin 7 to the connector? There is also a 10u cap from that trace to ground. Pin 7 is the buffered output before the divider.

At the same time, if you ain't got it, it don't matter.

Trust me I want that buffered output! I have just never seen it on anything but 88 speedo boards (pin M). They might have it on a drawing for the earlier years but it doesn't seem to be implemented. The reason I have all these clusters is for donors for my plug and play harness.

I just pulled a board from a 120 mph (GT) cluster and unfortunately I don't see a CS8524. I have a CS8542A but pin 7 doesn't look like what you described. I figured the buffered 4000 ppm output is on here somewhere, but AFAIK it's not wired to any pins on the connector, (except for 88). I guess I can poke around on a live board until I find it.

Edit, can you tell me physically where on the board the CS8524 is located? And you get a big "+" from me for knowing your speedo boards.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 08-13-2005).]

Jax184

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2005 04:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jax184Click Here to visit Jax184's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jax184Direct Link to This Post
Has anyone managed to fit one in the gap between the gauge cluster and the stock dash? Sounds like the best place for a HUD in a stock Fiero to me.
I imagine focal length and such would be an issue, but it shouldnt be too hard to get around.
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2005 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by dezie36:

Did he get banned?

Sorry I should have capitalized his name....Riceburner98

[This message has been edited by Fierofreak00 (edited 08-13-2005).]

Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2005 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
Hehe... Not banned that I know of. Didn't know at the time that the capital "R" was case-sensitive when I was creating my user name. Kind of a pain some times. I've been busy working on an HVAC project for the Kit Car guys, so haven't done much with the HUD lately. I agree with other people though, that if you can fit an OEM HUD unit into your dash (aftermarket dash or otherwise) go for it! The add-on one isn't great when the sun comes out, and the OEM ones can display more information. Also the OEM ones can be had now for fairly cheap at junkyards.. The add-on one I still make occasionally can't go much lower in price unfortunately, just due to the amount of $$ that was spent for parts and circuit boards. It's more of an "easy add-on" for someone that would like the HUD speedometer feature (mostly at night) and doesn't want to try to mod an OEM one to fit. (fits in the space between the dash and instrument cluster) Wish I could say the one I make is OEM quality, but it's not quite there...

------------------
Bob Williams
Multi-colored '86 Mutt, a work in progress! (3800SC running great! Fixed the bent roof, now I need an intercooler! Yeehaa!)

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock