Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  A H.U.D. unit for only $2.99!!!!!!!!!!!! (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
A H.U.D. unit for only $2.99!!!!!!!!!!!! by KlingonFiero
Started on: 08-30-2003 02:45 PM
Replies: 44
Last post by: TK on 09-22-2003 09:45 PM
KlingonFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2003 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KlingonFieroClick Here to visit KlingonFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to KlingonFieroDirect Link to This Post
I went to the Junkyard looking for a Power mirror switch/plate for my 84. No Fiero's
But, I did find a 1993 Grand Am/Prix(??)SSE.
It had been pretty ravaged, but nobody had touched the upper dash or the rearview mirror.
I grabbed both of them for $2.99 EACH!!!!!

Now I am looking for a wiring diagram for the hud unit and the Auto-dimming Mirror.

The Hud unit is the style that has the mechanical cable to adjust the mirror.
From what I can tell it has a display for:
1. Speed
2. Turn-Signals
3. Check gauges
4. Low Fuel light
(does anybody know if this can be made
to work?)
5. High-Beam indicator

It also can show speed in either MPH or KM.

I really need a diagram for this one.
It has eleven wires coming out of it, if they follow the "regular" GM pattern , I can figure out most of them, but I would like confirmation on what wires are what.

Also, does anybody know what VSS signal (in ppm) is expected?

The Auto-dmming mirror is only auto-dimming, no compass or temp.
It only has three wires and should be fairly easy to figure out, but a diagram for this would be very helpful to.

Thanks a whole lot to everyone who can help.

------------------
1984 SE - 30800 out of 136840. Being modified!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post08-30-2003 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
My favorite yard has a 90's Bonneville SSE that's pretty stripped, but still has the HUD in it, at least I assume it does, the pod's still on the dash with a window that faces the windshield. What all goes with this unit? Modules in the dash? Wiring and controls? I may just go get this.

JazzMan

TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2003 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
VSS is 4000 PPM. I have the wiring somewhere. I'll look.

The rest of the wires are indicators and power.

Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2003 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
Does the unit directly take a speedo signal then?? I was under the impression that it needed to be connected to the car's ECM to work.. If it works "stand-alone" then I've got to get to the junkyard!! The ones I make are OK, but I'd love to have a real one to mess with...

------------------
Bob Williams
Multi-colored '87 Mutt, a work in progress! (3800SC installation in super-slow-motion progress... It's bolted in now!!! WOOHOO!! Just need coolant and gas lines!)

TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2003 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
No, it wants the TTL level signal from the ECM although a simple circuit could be made to convert the VSS signal to a 0-5V signal for the HUD.

You know, the Fiero speedo does have 4000 PPM signal (before the divider) on one pin of the chips. That should be able to drive it. I'll look for that too.

Where do I send the wiring diagrams?

[This message has been edited by TK (edited 08-30-2003).]

David Bartlett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2003 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David BartlettSend a Private Message to David BartlettDirect Link to This Post
I installed one around a year ago. The Pin-Outs should be still around here.

A word to the wise, don't cut your dash to install the silly giant box... find another way, like I'm doing now.

David Bartlett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2003 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David BartlettSend a Private Message to David BartlettDirect Link to This Post

David Bartlett

1090 posts
Member since Aug 2001
TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2003 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
I sent the GM HUD schematics.

Also, pin N of the speedo connector should be 4000 PPM. It's a output of the buffer before the divide by 2. That *should* be able to drive the GM HUD directly but be prepared to add a 1K resistor from Pin N to +12V if is doesn't. If might want a pullup resistor. You should be able to do that in the wiring.

TK

watts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2003 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post
The mirror is probably a Gentex. If you pop the little panel off the back (where the wires go in), the PCB has the pinouts stenciled on it.

I just used power and ground off the overhead lights and skipped the reverse canceler. It uses so little power that having it run all the time doesn't toast the battery if it's a daily driver.

KlingonFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2003 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KlingonFieroClick Here to visit KlingonFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to KlingonFieroDirect Link to This Post
Wow, so many responses!
Thanks a lot for all of the info so far.

TK: I got your e-mail, I will have to check it all out tomorrow. Thanks a lot!

JazzMan: The HUD unit I got was really easy to remove, took about ten minutes.
All I did was to cut the wires where they enter the main harness.
Somebody broke off the knob for the adjustment of the mirror, so I will have to come up with something to fix that. Shouldn't be too difficult, the cable is fully intact and is a simple push-pull type.

David Bartlett: Thanks for the link, it should prove to be helpful.
How are you installing yours? I have an "extra" dashboard I was going to use (ie: cut up to make the HUD fit )

watts: Thanks for the info, I never thought about the board showing what wires are for what.
I have to take the unit apart for a good cleaning and will take a look.
If the info is printed on the board, it should make it real easy to match it up to one of the schematics that TK sent me.

Anybody else use on of these? How did you install yours?

DPWood

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2003 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DPWoodClick Here to visit DPWood's HomePageSend a Private Message to DPWoodDirect Link to This Post
I'm interested in how to wire up this little toy as well. I picked up a HUD out of a Bonneville SSEI about three weeks ago. It cost more than $2.99 though. Man, that's a sweet deal!!

This is a good thread to keep an eye on!!

David

------------------
His Fiero: 1984 2M4 Coupe

Her Fiero: 1984 2M4 Convertible

PFF
System Bot
87convert

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2003 02:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87convertSend a Private Message to 87convertDirect Link to This Post
I have one unit from a 90 Turbo Grand Prix and another from a 91 Grand Prix. They are different sizes but use the same basic wiring diagrams. I have been driving around with each for about two months trying to decide which one to use in what car. To test the unit I only connected up the power, ground and speedo input. I took the signal off of the Yellow wire on the connector below the speedo on the left side of the I/P. This works with either unit and gives the correct readout. It is a little distracting but fun at night. Mine display speed, directionals, low oil pressure warning, high beams, low fuel, and check engine.

My mistake, the correct wire is the yellow wire (4000 ppm) not the green wire (2000ppm).

[This message has been edited by 87convert (edited 09-09-2003).]

KlingonFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2003 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KlingonFieroClick Here to visit KlingonFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to KlingonFieroDirect Link to This Post
DPWood: Give me a few and I will see what I can do about the wiring
As far as the sweet deal, I was really blown away when the Guy told me the price.
He didn't even know what it was.
I told him it was a HUD unit, part of the speedomoter. He said, Okay, Misc. Interior - $2.99.
I didn't say a thing. Usually electronic parts at that yard are in the $12.99 to $17.99 range. Still not expensive, but a lot more than $2.99

87convert: thatnks for the info, that should help when I go to install the HUD.

Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2003 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
87convert - can you see the thing reflect on the windshield in the daytime?? (lots of sunlight) The ones I make with the LED's get washed out in the daytime, and I wondered how well these work on a Fiero windshield. I need to get to the junkyard!!! - Bob
TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2003 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
I opened up the GM hud I have and looked at the VFD directly. It's so bright it's damn near nuclear. They have to be to be seen in the day time. My GTP hud (in the car) is visible on even the brightest days unless the sun shines right into the HUD (rare).

I would guess the GM VFD huds are at least 20 times brighter than the LED huds (at least).

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2003 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
You went to a junkyard to look for a Fiero? It's like Corvette's, you'll never see them in a junkyard. People part them out, not crush em. I've seen one Fiero in a junkyard. It was an 86 SE that was wrecked (severely), and all that was left was the frame, the damaged front end parts, and the roof panel.

Although some Fiero's belong in the junkyard (like all 84's), I've only seen one.

David Bartlett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2003 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David BartlettSend a Private Message to David BartlettDirect Link to This Post
Don't even think about cutting the dash, you'll never be able to get it to look right. I did, and today I spent the dash swapping/painting a new dash.. SO DONT. Instead take the ciruit out and remove the display, and build wire extensions so you can place the display anywhere you like!
KlingonFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2003 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KlingonFieroClick Here to visit KlingonFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to KlingonFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroturbo:

You went to a junkyard to look for a Fiero? It's like Corvette's, you'll never see them in a junkyard. People part them out, not crush em. I've seen one Fiero in a junkyard. It was an 86 SE that was wrecked (severely), and all that was left was the frame, the damaged front end parts, and the roof panel.

Although some Fiero's belong in the junkyard (like all 84's), I've only seen one.

I guess I am lucky, or not, depending on your point of view.
the Junkyard
I went to yesterday usually has at least one, if not more. About a month ago I went there and they had about 5.
They go through their cars fairly quickly there.

I have another junkyard I can go to that currently has about 7-10, but it is a decent trip to getthere, and they have been fairly well picked over.

87convert

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2003 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87convertSend a Private Message to 87convertDirect Link to This Post
Yes you can see it in the day light unless you are driving right into the setting or rising sun. The one out of the 91 is a little different design and is less suceptible to wash out. It is also much smaller and easier to integrate. I just cut a hole for the unit in the dash and set the cover unit down to touch the dash. Had to change the drivers side speaker and modify the defog outlet a little but it looks pretty good.

At first I had it in my convertible but I wound up putting it into a coupe. The backlight from not having a roof in the convertible hurts in the washout department. I am still trying to figure out how to use the 90 TGP unit. It is much larger than the later units but I am determined to use it. I am looking at a PISA ZR2 dash right now as a possible home for the unit in the convertible.

David Bartlett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2003 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for David BartlettSend a Private Message to David BartlettDirect Link to This Post
This is how I'll be extending the display.

87convert

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2003 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87convertSend a Private Message to 87convertDirect Link to This Post
Dave;
I read your old post and had most of the same problems at first. The unit has a hard time reading anything under 10mph but tracks the speedo right on after that. I discovered that by just driving onto a main road and was surprised to see the unit come suddenly to life after numerous failures on the street in front of my house.
As far as cutting the dash, I agree that that is the real problem using the stock unit. I had several old dashes to play with and used two to get the mounting squared away. The TGP unit is not a good fit so I don't recommend it. The 91 and later units are much smaller and seem to work well. On the ZR2 dash it looks like the small unit will fit nicely and look like it was meant to be there.
PFF
System Bot
DPWood

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2003 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DPWoodClick Here to visit DPWood's HomePageSend a Private Message to DPWoodDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to have to go out to the shop and pull that HUD apart for a look inside. Mine has two parts; the dash pod that illuminates the windshield, and a position control. It's like a joystick that varies the angle of a mirror inside the HUD. I grabbed both while I was at the yard. Good thing I have a spare dash to play with they way you do. This is a cool mod but I'd hate to hack into a good dash and have it look like crap..

David

------------------
His Fiero: 1984 2M4 Coupe

Her Fiero: 1984 2M4 Convertible

twentyeight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2003 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twentyeightClick Here to visit twentyeight's HomePageSend a Private Message to twentyeightDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroturbo:

Well then I'm keeping my secret of where to find 50 fieros sitting next to each other... there's only two GT's though...

TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2003 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
San Jose PNP?
DJRice

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2003 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DJRiceSend a Private Message to DJRiceDirect Link to This Post
TK,

Please email me those schematics as well. I picked up a HUD but have not had much time to play with it since. They could prove helpful.

Thanks.

Yellow87FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2003 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Yellow87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Yellow87FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
Living in Northern MN, makes junk yard cars pretty nasty real quick so I'd like to know what cars I could get A HUD off of. - I may just get lucky and find one if I have a list.
I am extremely interested in this HUD idea because my dad has three Vette's - two C5's and the C5's HUD is great. I'd love figure out how to put one on my Fiero.
TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2003 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DJRice:

TK,

Please email me those schematics as well. I picked up a HUD but have not had much time to play with it since. They could prove helpful.

Thanks.

Done.

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post09-01-2003 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Could you email me the schematics as well? If you want, I can put the file on my site so that you don't have to keep emailing everyone.

JazzMan

IcantDo55

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2003 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IcantDo55Click Here to visit IcantDo55's HomePageSend a Private Message to IcantDo55Direct Link to This Post

I got to tell ya those hud units are cool! I rented a ZO6 in Vegas last week and Love the HUD unit. Does anyone sell an aftermarket one?
TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2003 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

Could you email me the schematics as well? If you want, I can put the file on my site so that you don't have to keep emailing everyone.

JazzMan

Do I have it?

David Bartlett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2003 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for David BartlettSend a Private Message to David BartlettDirect Link to This Post
Hud Display all wired up...

Don't mind the ugly hot-glue, thats there to keep the wires in place and it wont be seen later.

I have the tiny little box and fresnel all ready, more pics to come.

Dave

[This message has been edited by David Bartlett (edited 09-02-2003).]

PFF
System Bot
KlingonFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2003 05:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KlingonFieroClick Here to visit KlingonFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to KlingonFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Bartlett:

Hud Display all wired up...

Don't mind the ugly hot-glue, thats there to keep the wires in place and it wont be seen later.

I have the tiny little box and fresnel all ready, more pics to come.

Dave

[This message has been edited by David Bartlett (edited 09-02-2003).]

Can I assume that with this setup, you aren't using any of the mirrors that were used in the original box?

Is this being directly projected on the windshield?

DPWood

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2003 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DPWoodClick Here to visit DPWood's HomePageSend a Private Message to DPWoodDirect Link to This Post
Oh....And could I get on that list of people to get schematics from you TK??

pm or email to dpwood@woodintentions.com

Thanks

David Bartlett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2003 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David BartlettSend a Private Message to David BartlettDirect Link to This Post
No mirrors, seeing as nobody else drives my car.
KlingonFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2003 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KlingonFieroClick Here to visit KlingonFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to KlingonFieroDirect Link to This Post
Have you tested it, since you extended the display? I would be worried about signal loss with wires that long.

Of course, it would make it a whole lot easier to install.
Please let us know

[This message has been edited by KlingonFiero (edited 09-02-2003).]

Ken Wittlief

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 142
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2003 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ken WittliefSend a Private Message to Ken WittliefDirect Link to This Post
unless Im mistaken , the mirrors are there so the image projects at infinity

otherwise all you have are LEDs about 5 feet from your face, and your eyes have to focus at 5' to see the display

when they are projected at infinity, it looks like it painted out on whatever you are looking at through the windshield.

David Bartlett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2003 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David BartlettSend a Private Message to David BartlettDirect Link to This Post
All tested and working. As long as you use a good gauge of wire it shouldn't be a problem.

I found the mirrors made the Hud difficult to see. It had to be adjusted correctly, so any movement from side to side/ up, down and you wouldn't be able to see anything. The reason for the mirrors is simple, magnification. You need a second mirror to flip the image so you can read it correctly.

I'm going to be using a fresnel lense to increase the readout size. More pics to come.

87convert

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2003 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87convertSend a Private Message to 87convertDirect Link to This Post
The two units I have resolve the image about at the front bumper. I have found that the adjustments are good since I often move about in the drivers seat on long drives. Sometimes I even turn the thing off!!!!
TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2003 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DPWood:

Oh....And could I get on that list of people to get schematics from you TK??

pm or email to dpwood@woodintentions.com

Thanks

Just email me folks. I don't always read these threads.

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2003 02:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post
Hmmm....$2.99 thats more than I paid...lol I kinda got a free one. It came with the car I am getting my Quad4 out of. I saw this thing on the dash and wasn't sure what it was, but after reading here about HUDs, it hit me...lol

------------------
'84 Fiero Sport Quad 4 coming soon
http://www.lasvegasfieroclub.com/

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay