Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  SPEC aluminum flywheel for Northstar (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 
Previous Page | Next Page
SPEC aluminum flywheel for Northstar by Will
Started on: 01-08-2004 11:41 PM
Replies: 339
Last post by: Will on 05-27-2005 08:47 PM
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2004 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
I know I've got a lot of irons in the fire right now, but this came up recently, and since I want to upgrade clutch and flywheel along with my overhaul, I thought I should start putting out feelers for this.

SPEC ( www.speclutches.com ) makes an aluminum flywheel for the 60 degree V6. I've emailed them and they said they could put the Northstar pattern in the V6 flywheel for the extra setup cost for the new CNC program that would be necessary. If we could order several flywheels at once, the startup costs would obviously be split among the order and be much less per person.

The SPEC flywheel is more expensive than the KFG flywheel, but the SPEC has been tested to and beyond 10,000 RPM, while the KFG hasn't. I think the SPEC is a better choice for this reason. The flywheel will accept all stock replacement Fiero clutches (Centerforce, clutchnet, etc.)

How many will buy in on this, and when? Budget is tight for me right now, but if we coordinate, we should be able to get the order together at a time convenient for all of us.

------------------
'87 Fiero GT: Northstar, Getrag, TGP wheels, rear sway bar, rod end links, bushings, etc.
'90 Pontiac 6000 SE AWD: Leaking ABS unit fixed, load levelling rear suspension fixed, still slow

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2004 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Direct Link to This Post
might be cheaper to buy the regular flywheel then take to local machine shop to have N* pattern drilled
GSXRBOBBY

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2004 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Count me in, I was hoping to do my swap at the end of this month, but I found my work car will not be fixed until 2 weeks from now so there is not much of a hurry. In Feb. and at the lastest early March for the swap?
(1986 Fiero GT, with a 4 speed Muncie transaxle, Northstar is a 93 Seville L37)
------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
86 Fiero GT, Looking to ad a 93 Northstar soon

[This message has been edited by GSXRBOBBY (edited 01-09-2004).]

FierOmar

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2004 02:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarDirect Link to This Post
What do they charge for the aluminum V6 flywheel? How about the N*?

------------------
FierOmar

DPWood

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2004 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DPWoodClick Here to visit DPWood's HomePageSend a Private Message to DPWoodDirect Link to This Post
Dito on the price question. It's probably going to be a few months before I can swing a large purchase but I'm definitely interested.

David

------------------
His Fiero: 1984 2M4 Coupe

Her Fiero: 1984 2M4 Convertible

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2004 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
www.speclutches.com
Make: Pontiac->Model: Fiero->Year: (year of your car)

Flywheel is P/N SC42A - $399
Stage III clutch is P/N SC883 - $299
Lightweight pressure plate option is $79

Not sure what their setup costs would be, but the more we get, the less extra each person has to pay.
They say they can do it with a 3-3.5 week lead time.

------------------
'87 Fiero GT: Northstar, Getrag, TGP wheels, rear sway bar, rod end links, bushings, etc.
'90 Pontiac 6000 SE AWD: Leaking ABS unit fixed, load levelling rear suspension fixed, still slow

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2004 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
I sent you an e-mail, great deal I think, get ahold of me if you agree!

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2004 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
GSXRBobby has good news. When I emailed Dave at SPEC, he was a bit ambiguous about how much the setup charge would be. He was more clear with Bobby. It turns out that the setup charge to make the N* flywheels is basically nothing, and they will likely cost less than the listed $399.
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2004 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
These are copies of e-mails sent back and forth from Dave at Spec to me at The Speed Shop, if you call to order this or call to ask tell Dave that you got the info. from "The Speed Shop", why? I don't know if he has gave me a good price due to me owning me own business dealing with high perforance parts. I am going to be sending him the needed bolt pattern within a week! here are the e-mails:

I wrote a few days ago about the custom flywheel that I would need to combine a Northstar motor to a Fiero transaxle. I was wondering about the cost of changing the bolt holes or do you just go off the V-6 flywheel cost?

Would there still be an extra cost for that if I send down my auto flywheel so you could just compare the bolt holes from that?

And if there is an addition cost could I get it lowered if I were to buy more than 1 or 2 setups? I will end up needing the SC773 clutch you sell but as far as the flywheel # there isn't one that I know of or you have posted.

Robert M. Anker
The Speed Shop
----------------------------------------
There are no extra costs for set-up. You will be able to use the SC883 style clutch with this flywheel.
Thank You
David Norton
S.P.E.C., inc
800-828-4379
Does this sound about right for a good and proper set up?
Flywheel is P/N SC42A - $299
Stage III clutch is P/N SC883 - $299
Lightweight pressure plate option is $79
The SC42A is 399. The flywheel for your car would be no more than that, maybe a little less.
David Norton
S.P.E.C., inc
800-828-4379
sales@specclutch.com
-----------------------------------------
I like the sound of this, I need a strong set up that is not going to cost way to much. Some guys are using the Getrag 5 speed, and I am using the Muncie 4 speed. If you have a set up that works I will be coming to you later this month, if you can make this work, right? Thanks for your time!
Robert M. Anker
The Speed Shop

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

bushroot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2004 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bushrootSend a Private Message to bushrootDirect Link to This Post
I'm down. Let me know when.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2004 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jb1:

might be cheaper to buy the regular flywheel then take to local machine shop to have N* pattern drilled

I'd rather have one that only had one pattern in it from the get-go. I have a plugged and redrilled iron flywheel in my car now, but I only spin to 6400 RPM. Going to 7500 and beyond to 8500 and even more RPM, I want to be more sure of what's back there.
That's not to say that I wouldn't still use a scatter shield with a SPEC flywheel... 'cause I fully intend to.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
bushroot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2004 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bushrootSend a Private Message to bushrootDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

Going to 7500 and beyond to 8500 and even more RPM, I want to be more sure of what's back there.
That's not to say that I wouldn't still use a scatter shield with a SPEC flywheel... 'cause I fully intend to.

Wuss!

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2004 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I'm a pansie

PAN..... ZEE!

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2004 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Is there something wrong with little bits of metal stuck in your butt, "I mean back"?

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

86 FIERO GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2004 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 FIERO GTSend a Private Message to 86 FIERO GTDirect Link to This Post
Count me in, I been waitin for this group buy for months, I got the cash on hand I want the whole package, stage 3, flywheel and P.P.

------------------

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2004 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
I will be sending in the bolt pattern this week, I'll let you all know.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

86 FIERO GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2004 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 FIERO GTSend a Private Message to 86 FIERO GTDirect Link to This Post
Any news on this? I am ready to get over this hump and get my car running.

this alittle off topic, but Will, when you get your car running again, there is a hot rod shop in Baton Rouge has a Dynojet chassis dyno.

------------------

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2004 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
I am so busy with work I havn't been able to send him my flexplate for the bolt pattern, I am going to try to send it off this week but again I am too busy to do alot of my lil projects. If there is someone that can do it for me I posted his info. Sorry, let me know if you can help, otherwise I will try to send it off this weekend?

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
thespeedshop@sbcglobal.net

86 FIERO GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2004 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 FIERO GTSend a Private Message to 86 FIERO GTDirect Link to This Post
The flex plate is really the flywheel right? If so I have like 3 I don''t need and I could send one.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2004 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Yes, all they need is the flex plate

------------------
'87 Fiero GT: Low, Sleek, Fast, and Loud
'90 Pontiac 6000 SE AWD: None of the Above

Do that again, only mean it this time

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2004 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Yes the flywheel is on a man. transaxle and its called a flexplate on an auto, if you could send one out write me and let me know that you can so I can call him and have things set up, and thanks!!!! Sorry about getting so busy and not having it already done guys.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

PFF
System Bot
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2004 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
What's the word on this?
I absolutely must have mine byt he 22nd of March.
Any possibility of doing a discounted group buy rate?

------------------

86 FIERO GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2004 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 FIERO GTSend a Private Message to 86 FIERO GTDirect Link to This Post
Will, I sent the flex plate yesterday, its all on him at how fast he gets them goin.
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2004 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
86 Fiero GT the new hero!!!!!!

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2004 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
List:

Me
GSXR Bobby
86 Fiero GT
bushroot
Slammed Fiero
DPWood (?)

That's 6 people... Do either GSXRBobby or 86 Fiero GT want to call about a group buy rate, or should I?
Anyone else who wants to get on board needs to get on board soon because it's movin'.

------------------

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2004 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Will you have been here longer, its up to you. I don't mind if doing it?

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2004 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
I can do it. I was just wondering if either of you wanted to because you've been in touch with them more recently than I have...

Anyway, everyone who's interested email me your real names and I'll get in touch with them about the possibility of a group buy rate.

Need to give shipping a few days, however. 86 Fiero GT is in Louisiana... where's SPEC? I don't feel like loading flash on my new computer just to see the navigation bar on their website. (the less crap you install on a windoze computer, the better it's going to work... I just want to keep that new computer smell for as long as possible).

This is going to be sweeet. Am I the only one who can stand around for hours on end and imagine a quad cam V8 revving like a motorcycle?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 02-04-2004).]

DPWood

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2004 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DPWoodClick Here to visit DPWood's HomePageSend a Private Message to DPWoodDirect Link to This Post
It will be April before I have any signifigant $$.

D@mn gov't taxes me into the poorhouse all year and THEN realizes. "Oh, we owe him a heaping whack of money".

David

86 FIERO GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2004 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 FIERO GTSend a Private Message to 86 FIERO GTDirect Link to This Post
Will, he is in hueytown AL. not too far from me or you.

Do you know if Jstricker is going to use an auto or manual, he might be interested.

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2004 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Will I sent 86 GT all the info. about the guy so he could send out the flexplate. I wrote him at Spec and told him to keep and eye out for it. I didn't talk to him about a group rate, I can if you think it would help. But then again you do have more info. on the swap than I do so if there are any questions you could answer them better than I can. If you don't have the info me and him talked about saved I can send it to you if you need it!

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2004 06:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Go ahead and forward that stuff to me, just so I have the whole picture.
Thanks

------------------

PFF
System Bot
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2004 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
I will send you an e-mail in the morning after I find it.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

Patrick Horne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2004 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Patrick HorneSend a Private Message to Patrick HorneDirect Link to This Post
Just caught this thread. Was wondering what happened with it. If it's still in the works, count me in as well. I'm looking to get the whole package also.

Thanks

------------------
Patrick Horne

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2004 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Great! The more the merrier.

I apologize for letting this slide. I've been a busy bee with moving across town and arranging things to have my engine put together by the 19th.

I should have time to call SPEC tomorrow morning and approach him with the group buy idea. Unfortunately I don't have the funds this time around to buy an $800 flywheel and clutch package, but now that it will be available shortly it's a definite for the next round of mods.

To recap, we have:
GSXR Bobby
86 Fiero GT
bushroot
Slammed Fiero
DPWood (?)
Patrick Horne

POC is David Norton: 1-800-828-4379

------------------

Luck, Fate and Destiny are words used by those who lack the courage to define their own future

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2004 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Sweet!!!! Cheers guys

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

86 FIERO GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2004 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 FIERO GTSend a Private Message to 86 FIERO GTDirect Link to This Post
This needs to happen soon, I don't wanna spend all my money on a banshee and not have any for my car.

------------------

86 FIERO GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2004 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 FIERO GTSend a Private Message to 86 FIERO GTDirect Link to This Post
updates?
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2004 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
I will e-mail Will tonight

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
Nextel 2 way is 111*32*19163

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2004 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Today was the third or fourth time I've talked to David and heard a story something like "I need to see how far the designers have gotten with it. What's your number? I'll call you back."

Obviously he didn't call back or I'd let you guys know.

I'll try again tomorrow, but I'm VERY busy this week with the engine and trans overhaul. Got the old N* torn down today. The #1 cylinder has a crack 3 inches long down the side of the cylinder wall and the oil looks like ovaltine.

------------------

Luck, Fate and Destiny are words used by those who lack the courage to define their own future

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2004 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
I e-mailed him last night and this is what he had to say.

"We are about to order material. Making them will not be a problem. We are, however, having to do new programming, so it will take some weeks."

David Norton

S.P.E.C., inc

800-828-4379

205-491-8593-fax

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
Nextel 2 way is 111*32*19163

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9