Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Watch me install T-Tops in Proud-2 (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
Watch me install T-Tops in Proud-2 by jscott1
Started on: 05-25-2003 10:31 PM
Replies: 130
Last post by: GT86 on 02-11-2004 10:51 AM
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2003 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Well, after lurking in T-top threads for over a year I've decided to install T-tops in Proud-2.

You recall earlier seeing the Firebird interior install that took place over 6 months, (and still isn't done ) But the T-tops will be completed in one long weekend.

I thought about having Lloyde at FastFieros or Ed Parks at the Fiero factory install them, but being an up and coming Fiero enthusiast I decided to do it myself. I've never done anything like this before, but there is a first time for everything.

The donor, an entire roof section from an 1987 Med red metallic SE, (non CJB of course). I don't know anything else about the donor because I bought it from JubJub2m6

I had it shipped from Idaho to Houston

Glass and the hard to find seals I got from Pondski, (a great guy to deal with)

Install Manual I got from T-Top Fiero and I am ready to go...

------------------
If you find my advice useful, then please give me a positive rating, thanks...

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
GTFiero1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2003 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

But the T-tops will be completed in one long weekend.

sure they will.....

------------------

--Adam--
1987 Blue GT 5-speed
IM AOL: FieroGT5speed
16 years old and already selling my stuff to pay for repairs to my Fiero...which i sold my stuff to buy in the first place

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2003 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Step one, remove frame from donor car. There are about 50 1/4 " rivets that have to be drilled out. That sounds harder than it really is. You just need a good drill. None of that cordless stuff.

JetroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2003 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JetroGTSend a Private Message to JetroGTDirect Link to This Post
It looks bent.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2003 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Steps 2 through 10, measure, measure, ...

(added note: yeah the frame was bent...the donor car was hit on the driver's side, it's real flexible once removed and it was bent back into the proper shape)

My brother was in town for the weekend, he did all the measuring...
A little reality check with the frame.

My job was the cutting:

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 05-25-2003).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2003 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

jscott1

21676 posts
Member since Dec 2001
Old roof gone and home made spreaders installed. Boy that Targa looks great, but the frame has to go in there for strength.

JetroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2003 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JetroGTSend a Private Message to JetroGTDirect Link to This Post
Your a brave man. I hope it turns out ok.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2003 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
A bunch of rivets to put in:

lowfierogt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 247
User Banned

Report this Post05-25-2003 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lowfierogtClick Here to visit lowfierogt's HomePageSend a Private Message to lowfierogtDirect Link to This Post
GOOD JOB!!!!

Hey come over and help me with mine..jk .

keep the pics coming!!

------------------
" TARGET=_blank rel="nofollow">http://www.fiero.mn.org

86.5 GT, 18" wheels, GA CD brakes, ST brace, Leather, getting 3800 SC
88 Formula 5 speed T-Top stock,
88 GT,Leather, T-Top,S1-3800,

White88cpe
No longer registered
Report this Post05-25-2003 11:07 PM   Send a Private Message to lowfierogtDirect Link to This Post
Looks good.

------------------
Ray - 1988 Aero Coupe 'Mio Dolore' - FieroNews.com
"If life had been meant to be dull, it would have come with a manual" - Anonymous Author

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2003 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Here's the first look at Proud-2 with the T-tops and the Firebird interior:

All that's left is the trim and the headliner and put the quarter windows back on.

PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2003 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

jscott1

21676 posts
Member since Dec 2001
First Test Drive

My brother and I loved it!!

fierodustin_86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2003 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodustin_86Send a Private Message to fierodustin_86Direct Link to This Post
Good job. It looks really great!

------------------

86 Fiero SE
email: fierodustin@yahoo.com

jubjub2m6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
User Banned

Report this Post05-25-2003 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jubjub2m6Click Here to visit jubjub2m6's HomePageSend a Private Message to jubjub2m6Direct Link to This Post
i saw the thread and i sat there thinking damn i thought that was the guy that i sold the t-tops to...u lucky snot!!! i really wish i could of put them on my fiero... glad you found all the parts and everything

looks totally cool man!! good job
*sure got alot more guts then me cutting in to my car*

------------------

86SE Gold & Primer Pink
zr-2 hoodscoop
rear coil overs
6"wingstands..&more
JUGGALO!!!!

My7Fieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2003 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for My7FierosSend a Private Message to My7FierosDirect Link to This Post
Wow great job! Man that looks completly do-able. (ideas!) Can you mention any parts that were a PITA or tricky?
jubjub2m6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
User Banned

Report this Post05-25-2003 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jubjub2m6Click Here to visit jubjub2m6's HomePageSend a Private Message to jubjub2m6Direct Link to This Post
oh ya if anyone is interested, i wanted to purchase the entire car that the t tops came off of but looks like it was smashed really hard from the passenger side if i remember right like atleast 40mph or so and it was bashed in pretty good.....plus it was only a 4cylinder which it came from so why bother? lol..j/k....

specs on the donor car was
t-tops, 4cyl, power nothing, 4spd manual

fierogt88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2003 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt88Send a Private Message to fierogt88Direct Link to This Post
I have a couple of questions!

1.) any welding?
2.) any bondo?

I think I might have to do this....

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2003 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
no welding...no bondo. Just cutting and riveting...Completely doable job in a weekend with minimal tools
skitime

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 332
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2003 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post

no welding...no bondo. Just cutting and riveting...Completely doable job in a weekend with minimal tools

Wow cool! As easy as that looks you would think I would have an easier time selling my t-top kit. Great Job!

Xantavar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2003 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XantavarSend a Private Message to XantavarDirect Link to This Post
That looks great!! Good job with the cutting and fitting. You do have kahunas....

mcaanda

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2003 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mcaandaSend a Private Message to mcaandaDirect Link to This Post

Personally, I'd never trust anybody to cut my car, and second, I'd never have the brass b*lls to di it myself.
Talk about one hell of a weekend,
Looks great!

PFF
System Bot
GTFiero1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2003 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
well you actually pulled it off in a weekend and it looks great!
Fierotech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2003 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierotechClick Here to visit Fierotech's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierotechDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mcaanda:

Personally, I'd never trust anybody to cut my car, and second, I'd never have the brass b*lls to di it myself.
Talk about one hell of a weekend,
Looks great!

Yeah, having done a couple sets on customer's cars...I can say the only thing scarier than taking a sawzall to your roof is taking a sawzall to SOMEONE ELSE'S roof...

Looks great...congrats on the job, and welcome to the "I've installed T-tops" club!

Jeremy B.
(thinking ya decided to do it yourself after meeting me in Daytona and finding out I was the dude that was going to be slicing on your car if you brought it to the Fiero Factory...lol...)

Elenor84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2003 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Elenor84Click Here to visit Elenor84's HomePageSend a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post
Yes, truely a very nice install. Great work, and enjoy!

------------------

$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2003 02:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
sweet!!, nice job!!

------------------
Rich
white 86 se, 2" drop, coil overs, KYB's. CRX intake, ported manifolds

SOLD the mitsu. and looking for a replacment..
scratch that, the replacment HAS been Found!!!

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2003 02:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
My 7 Fieros: as far a PITA you are drilling overhead for the most part so I had hot metal bits falling in my face. ouch. Notice that I had my interior completely covered to protect it, (it would be safer to remove it, but I didn't want to remove it after I spent 6 months putting it in )

Fierotech: I would have loved for you to slice into my car, but my Brother works a lot cheaper than you do

As far as tools, I should mention that I needed a couple of tools that I didn't have such as a 1/4" riveter, and they are not a common tool that you will find at Sears or Home Depot. I had to order it from Harbor Freight.

And I needed an angle grinder. I purposely cut on the inside of the line, so I had to manually grind away a little metal.

The other thing is that although the C&C installation manual is great, some of the drawings are confusing. I would have found it a lot more difficult if I didn't have the donor roof there to compare and take measurements from.

I'll take more pics in the morning...I hope you like what I'm doing?

Jonathan (Jscott1)

Kelvin Vivian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2003 02:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kelvin VivianSend a Private Message to Kelvin VivianDirect Link to This Post
Nice job JScott... Enjoy your T-Tops, open top cruising is nice.

kv

------------------

88 GT T-Top 5-spd #338 of 1252
87 SE 4-cyl 5-spd has performance sound
85 2M4 base coupe 5-spd, hardtop, rackless decklid, 13-in rally steel rims

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2003 02:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kelvin Vivian:

Nice job JScott... Enjoy your T-Tops, open top cruising is nice.

kv

Thanks KV, I couldn't have done it without you.

RossT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2003 03:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RossTClick Here to visit RossT's HomePageSend a Private Message to RossTDirect Link to This Post
All I can say is the you got more guts than I do!!!!

Great job!

Now, have you done the leak test yet??

Arizona85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2003 04:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arizona85GTSend a Private Message to Arizona85GTDirect Link to This Post
Despite all that work you put into it, you make it look easier than riding a bike, very nice job man..

Adam

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2003 06:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by RossT:

All I can say is the you got more guts than I do!!!!

Great job!

Now, have you done the leak test yet??

Thanks for all the good words...

The glue for the weatherseals is still curing, and I have a few loose ends to fill in before I try the leak test. I know that factory T-tops of the Fiero era tend to leak anyway, so I won'd be too upset if I get a drip or two.

I am getting closer to that dream Fiero I always wanted...Red, 88 GT, 5 sp, T-tops, what's next?

RossT, it would have been easier just to buy your car, but not nearly as much fun.

PFF
System Bot
JKFIERO

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2003 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JKFIEROSend a Private Message to JKFIERODirect Link to This Post
Man do I hate people with Talent, Knowhow and Ambition. Actually, I changed my own wiper blades once.....Without any help!!
Seriously...A FANTASTIC job, and a POSITIVE rating to boot. One question...On a car with a sunroof, do you feel it would make the job any easier?
Thanks
And again...Fantastic Job

------------------
Jim
www.jkfiero.com

87GTSleeper

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2003 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTSleeperSend a Private Message to 87GTSleeperDirect Link to This Post
Outstanding work! I wonder how many folks are gonna booger their roofs after watching that install. Man, you made it look easy. Anybody who has the 'nads to take a sawsall to their sweet ride gets a "+".
JKFIERO

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2003 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JKFIEROSend a Private Message to JKFIERODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skitime:

Wow cool! As easy as that looks you would think I would have an easier time selling my t-top kit. Great Job!

What are you asking for the "kit", and what all is included?

------------------
Jim
www.jkfiero.com

chester
From: State of insanity...moved in and comfortably numb...

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2003 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post
Looks killer dude. It'll help show off all that hard work on the interior. T-tops rock. I miss mine already! I see another in my future someday!

Rob D.

------------------

383 V8 installed awaiting final hookup and light-off!! YEEEHAWWW!!!!
2.5" Drop
11" Brakes
17" Revolutions
RCC Coilover Suspension
Updated May 19 '03 www.dirtyratracing.org

skitime

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 332
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2003 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JKFIERO:

What are you asking for the "kit", and what all is included?

It was removed from our wrecked 88 GT. I have all the piece including grey interior trim and a newly professionally done headliner. $900 but rather not have to ship it. It was removed by cutting the A&B pillars so you have the entire roof secion like jscotts1 so you can check and get all the measurements needed.

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2003 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Thanks again for all the good words, but my brother deserves a big round of applause. He had barely ever seen a Fiero before but he came in and made all the measurements. I had so much confidence in him I didn't bother to double check them, I just cut on the dotted line. It appears my confidence was well placed.

JKFIERO - As for a sunroof car, it would be a little bit more difficult, because you would have to remove all the sunroof hardware before starting. Once you make the first cut, the roof skin comes off and it doesn't matter whether you had a sunroof car or not, all Fieros have the same spaceframe.

If anyone is interesting in buying Skitime's kit, I would be glad to help in providing tips and instructions.

A kit would be a lot easier than getting the parts from 3 different cars. At one point the trim holes weren't lining up and I realized that the trim was from a different car was the reason.

Was it worth it?

YES!!

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 05-26-2003).]

Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 310
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2003 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post
Look's awesomw like the rest of the 'proud family'... I am full of envy right now.... I am going outside to work on mine..

Skitime... $900.00?? WoW!
I know that's about right, it just caught my little brown eye this morning..lol Someone buy it from Ski, so I can stop thinking about it for me...!!!!

------------------

SmoothFieroGT@Yahoo.com

fierogsmith

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2003 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogsmithSend a Private Message to fierogsmithDirect Link to This Post
Hey Jonathan , You and your brother did an outstanding job ! Did you have to re-inforce the under carriage , like they do for Fiero convertables ?

Gave you a + rateing , for the nice layout of pictures ,and your ambition .

Galen Smith
Red '85 Sport Coupe
Founder of Suncoast Fiero Club
Florida Fiero Council

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2003 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
That's an excellent piece of work you have there. As some have pointed out above, it takes some guts to cut your car up. Excellent work, you da man.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock