In dash / car computers??? Interested? by FierosUnlimited
Started on: 03-07-2003 04:05 PM
Replies: 39
Last post by: 85frankenstein on 03-11-2003 07:33 PM
FierosUnlimited

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2003 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierosUnlimitedSend a Private Message to FierosUnlimitedDirect Link to This Post
Hey all!!!
Here we go. I am working diligently to design an in dash computer that could read off the ecm and be presentable. It would be fairly afordable and would fit in the passenger side area where the pedals "would" go on the drivers side. It would have an LCD screen where the stereo is and would totally replace the stereo with a combination MP3/CD/DVD/FM and AM tuner. It would be touch screen of course and would have a wireless keyboard that compliments the color of the car. It would have a plexiglass window with covering that would display the inner components... would have an on screen display that reads off of this ALDL system...
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/012844.html

I am working on mine so i will send pix when i get it finished. Thanks and let me know what you guys think!!!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2003 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
I don't know that I am willing to give up foot space in my car, but I know that lots of people are. I'm interested in seeing your concept and your progress anyway.

------------------

FierosUnlimited

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2003 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierosUnlimitedSend a Private Message to FierosUnlimitedDirect Link to This Post
You really wouldnt lose any foot space. Do you know any passengers that their feet go past the foot pad. Most passengers kick the seat all the way back and have plenty of room. Should work out though. I am in the process of making the box. I will get pix as soon as possible.
Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2003 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Yep, if I ever end up in the passenger seat of my car, my feet go all the way to the end and want more... I'm only 6'2" but all legs! But I know what you mean... show us what you have going..

[This message has been edited by Songman (edited 03-07-2003).]

FierosUnlimited

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2003 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierosUnlimitedSend a Private Message to FierosUnlimitedDirect Link to This Post
More idea...
I am sitting here at work so i have a ton of time for brainstorming. I have come up with a few ideas...
--First--
I see it being a low end computer... more like a 1Ghz or less capable of DVD playback at its highest point. This would pretty much get rid of the cooling aspects... nothing special.
--Second--
Or i could make it a very high end computer... very high end graphic emulating? Maybe a gps onboard, but to help cool it down other than fans i would route the AC vents through the plexiglass case and vent the case. You might think "what if the heater is on??" but if it is cold enough for a heater then you dont have to worry about cooling aspects beyond that of a few fans... this will keep the sound down. And the AC would keep it cool on a hott day in AZ... lol... 100 degrees isnt cool.
--Third--
Wireless keyboard. You may think that is tacky but your touch screen will work as a mouse but not input for a keyboard... they are small and compact and i have found one for 19.95 with a trackball built in just in case
--Fourth--
I have a badass green fiero. So the motherboard you choose would probably come with a complimenting color to the car... in my case Midnight Green.. and a neon light for display at night (the switch for the neon will be in the ashtray)
--Fifth--
You may not want the computer on at all times so it will be a one switch system. You wont be using the computer without the screen and you can turn the LCD to sleep after like... (well whenever) ... So screen burning wont be a problem.

ANY FEEDBACK WELCOME.... thnx

------------------
Avid Fiero Enthusiast
Daniel Caddell

Christine

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2003 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChristineSend a Private Message to ChristineDirect Link to This Post
I would like to see what you come up with and how much it will cost. Post it when your ready.
MR. ANONYMOUS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2003 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MR. ANONYMOUSSend a Private Message to MR. ANONYMOUSDirect Link to This Post
that sounds awesome not sure what it dose but i would take one BUT first i need a driving permit and a car
fiero77

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2003 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero77Send a Private Message to fiero77Direct Link to This Post
I already have an in car PC with GPS, DVD, Wireless keyboard with built in mouse. It is not hooked to any diagnostics though, just for entertainment. I am working on a touch screen controller system for it right now so I will watch your progress with interest.
PAE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2003 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PAEClick Here to visit PAE's HomePageSend a Private Message to PAEDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like a great concept but I would think twice about running the A/C to it for cooling, condensation can kill a computer...
fiero77

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2003 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero77Send a Private Message to fiero77Direct Link to This Post
I just have a couple of fans on the rear of the case, it works great.
FieroRaines

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2003 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRainesSend a Private Message to FieroRainesDirect Link to This Post
DVD, GPS, MP3...geez, do you need all that for a Fiero, hell, in my opinion, the best sound a fiero can make is the sound a that engine when your headin down the interstate doing somewhere around 70

------------------
Ready?

Set.

Gone!

PFF
System Bot
FierosUnlimited

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2003 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierosUnlimitedSend a Private Message to FierosUnlimitedDirect Link to This Post
70??? how about 120... or that is what it maxes at... ... but ne who... Thanks for the feedback on the AC didnt think about condensation

Fiero77- what processor and setup are you running??? all the specs please... just to base your observations on... so i can see i need to worry bout the cooling. And do you have any pics on where the computer is?? or how it is mounted??? thnx just looking for ideas

DustoneGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2003 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DustoneGTSend a Private Message to DustoneGTDirect Link to This Post
If you build this do it right.
Make it a generic case that can accept brand x mobos. That way you can reproduce the case and others can build their own.
If you do it this way it can be a high-end or a low-end system, depending on what people want and they have all the options like whether they want GPS, ECM diagnostics, or anything else.

Personally I would want to have it set up to play music with winamp or wmp, have all the other programs like games, office, etc. and have dragon speech recognition on it so I can type on the go (and correct all the errors and cuss words directed at other drivers when I get to my destination). A little printer would also be pretty nice.

How do you plan on interfacing the ECM with a windows or linux based PC? I am a very experienced computer tech, but have never tried to hook any pcs up to my car before. Is there programs that will display ECM information for windows?

I've tinkered with the idea of in-car computing before, and I think it shows a lot of potential given the right development.

PM or e-mail me with details on the design of your case so far!

------------------
Black 86.5 GT
-Sunroof
-TH125c w/ 3.33 gears
-Fast and Fun car!

DustoneGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2003 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DustoneGTSend a Private Message to DustoneGTDirect Link to This Post

DustoneGT

1274 posts
Member since Dec 2002
I think using a normal heat sink fan combo and case fans for ventilation would work out well with this setup.
watdge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2003 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for watdgeSend a Private Message to watdgeDirect Link to This Post

Thought you may be interested to know that this is no new concept

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20030204-1-020386.html
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20030204-1-021809.html
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20020118-1-009833.html
Picture preview from the last link...
Check out the last link, I think you'll find it really inspiring.

Joe Torma is the man when it comes to computer installing in your car. *Well he an a few other folks out there, but none that I know have accomplished what this fellow has* This guy has got or will have about everything you could imagine.. heh... from controlling the AC to monitoring engine temps... from rolling down the windows to displaying radar detection... from DVD,MP3,GPS,CDs to Digital Video alarm systems... gee golly, makes me want to start thinking about doing it all over again! Anyway.. have a look at those links... it'll give you some good info!

I like the idea of a computer dashes, if I ever did one, I would do it like Joe did, thanks Joe!

------------------

[ 5-speed ] - [ Performance Sound ]

FierosUnlimited

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2003 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierosUnlimitedSend a Private Message to FierosUnlimitedDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the feedback. I know that it isnt a new concept but i plan on changing it a bit. The computers will be a nice visual as well as logical add-on to the car.

Good call on the cases DustoneGT. I was thinking i might market just a barebones kit... also read the first post and go to the link. This guy is where you would get the program and the cabling to hook it up. Great ideas pouring in... keep em coming... and if I am doing a good job give me some feedback please

BlueGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2003 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlueGTSend a Private Message to BlueGTDirect Link to This Post
This is an idea I've been thinking of for some time. Integration of the computer with the car will be the problem area, but it can be done with good results. I hope to see the result of your venture.

------------------
BlueGT

Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2003 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Watdge, thanks for the kind words.

Let's just say that the computer has evolved quite a bit since my trial in that last link there!! I'm very happy with the way it looks now. I've been in the process of evolving it a bit further. I made myself a 5' IDE cable and now the CD & DVD drives will be where the changer was(mmm...what do I do with the 95' of cable I have left?!). There are just so many wires going into the cabin from the front compartment! The touchscreen works nice, have to figure out the dimmer curcuit on the inverter still.

Anyway...good luck Fierounlimited! The only issue with replacing the radio is that the FM cards I've heard just plain suck reception-wise.

Fiero77...can you post pics?! I would love to see another computer setup!

FierosUnlimited

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2003 02:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierosUnlimitedSend a Private Message to FierosUnlimitedDirect Link to This Post
Thank you joe... i have seen your work and am very impressed. i have been around computers since 6th grad and have been building them since 8th grade... as a matter of a fact... the one i am typing on was built by me... i dont know if i should go hi-end... though i think it would be nice I have to say that it really isnt needed... i am not going to do any high graphics rendering... just a thought. thanks.
FieroSTETZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2003 03:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroSTETZClick Here to visit FieroSTETZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroSTETZDirect Link to This Post
xp has an onscreen keyboard, could solve the keyboard issue... there also the VIK virtually indestructable keyboard, rubber and can be rolled up about the size of a deodorant
FierosUnlimited

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2003 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierosUnlimitedSend a Private Message to FierosUnlimitedDirect Link to This Post
Ok... that is a really good idea... i am gonna do some reasearch on those rubber keyboards... problem is that it needs to be a hard enough surface to use on your lap... but it wouldnt matter too much because the touch screen would be the primary source for input. And i will probably use XP or WIN98SE which is another good one... i dont like XP that much right now they still have to work out some bugs. Alright everyone... how do you input pictures into your post??? i have a sketch i did in photoshop that would be where the case would go and what it would look like thnx

------------------
Avid Fiero Enthusiast
Daniel Caddell

PFF
System Bot
FierosUnlimited

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2003 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierosUnlimitedSend a Private Message to FierosUnlimitedDirect Link to This Post
Check this out... i could use the touch screen and just update the motherboard and such
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=177&item=3404160151&rd=1

what do you think... i think i am gonna get it... 30 bucks isnt bad for something i could use

------------------
Avid Fiero Enthusiast
Daniel Caddell

Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2003 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post
I have a wireless mini keyboard, no trackball though.
Don't forget 1 more interface...voice control. Mine seems to work well. Launches applications, checks email, all sorts of stuff.
FierosUnlimited

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2003 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierosUnlimitedSend a Private Message to FierosUnlimitedDirect Link to This Post
Which program are you using for voice recogniton???

------------------
Avid Fiero Enthusiast
Daniel Caddell

watdge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2003 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for watdgeSend a Private Message to watdgeDirect Link to This Post
Hey hey,

No sweat Joe . I hadn't really followed up on your progress since September, sorry about the old photos... which brings me to my next point...new photos... do you have any? I would really enjoy seeing how your project played out, or is playing out. I would love to set my car up with a computer, just never have the time, money, or plan , although Joe, I've been looking into those cameras a bit more... night vision with IR LEDs, I tell yah, sweet.

Unlimited, you will need to download PIP if you want to upload picture to the post. It's the blue button at the bottom of the post page, can't miss it.

------------------

[ 5-speed ] - [ Performance Sound ]

FierosUnlimited

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2003 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierosUnlimitedSend a Private Message to FierosUnlimitedDirect Link to This Post
This is just a really quick sketch i did in photoshop... because the case isnt ready yet

------------------
Avid Fiero Enthusiast
Daniel Caddell

pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2003 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlDirect Link to This Post
Hi!

I was trying to make a car mp3 player out of an old pentium 233 that I had earlier. The project got abandoned when i realized that to buy a portable CD mp3 player, was about the same price as i'd have to buy for parts to get the computer to work in the car.

My big question... what are you doing for a power supply? I never found a way around it, and was going to have to run an Inverter.... but that seemed to be an inferior idea than if i had a DC power supply. Short of running it off a laptop with a real DC power plug... as it seems you want to use a desktop motherboard to do it... how are you thinking of doing it?

Thanks... Matt

------------------

AIM: phool88fiero

FierosUnlimited

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2003 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierosUnlimitedSend a Private Message to FierosUnlimitedDirect Link to This Post
I plan on running an inverter... but it wont be as cheasy as from the cigarette lighter to the inverter... i am gonna wire it on a swith and though a different circuit. gonna be a little harder but it will pay off in the end. :-0

------------------
Avid Fiero Enthusiast
Daniel Caddell

CTFieroGT87

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2003 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTFieroGT87Send a Private Message to CTFieroGT87Direct Link to This Post
I'd definitely be interested if it can play MP3s and can fully integrate with the ECM. I'd love having a full display of temperatures and the ability to turn fans on/off. I think you've got a great plan so far, itd be awesome for driving adjustments and fun while sitting!

CT

------------------
Christian Thomas
87 Pontiac Fiero GT Maroon/Silver

PAE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2003 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PAEClick Here to visit PAE's HomePageSend a Private Message to PAEDirect Link to This Post
Why not just use a laptop computer?
FierosUnlimited

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2003 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierosUnlimitedSend a Private Message to FierosUnlimitedDirect Link to This Post
Laptop computers are cool, but bulky (lol... maybe not) but they arent integrated into the car. I want something that stays with the car and can have a passenger along for the ride without them "holding" a laptop... keep em coming... gotta go get more fiberglass tomorrow

Daniel

------------------
Avid Fiero Enthusiast
Daniel Caddell

PFF
System Bot
Kris Duck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2003 03:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kris DuckSend a Private Message to Kris DuckDirect Link to This Post
Wow, I thought my idea was more original. I've had this idea for several years now. I've got most of it sorted out on paper, though haven't been able to do anything about it yet (money and time, duh).
My biggest hurdle has been what to do about a monitor. I can't afford to dump $500 on a desktop LCD. Laptop surplus would be perfect, but I've heard nightmare stories about hooking one up to a desktop comp. I'm aiming for around 12-14", most of the made-for-cars LCD's are 5-8" and almost as expensive as desktop units. I've seen a couple of interesting ones on Ebay, supposedly made for kiosks in malls or hospitals etc.
For the main box, I've been planning on a flex or micro ATX. The second I saw the Shuttle SV24, I thought it would be perfect for my car. Though I was pointed me to a link where someone made his own box to fit a micro ATX mobo. I have cooling sorted out already, depending on where I put the box. I don't want it to be visible, so it's either got to go IN the dash (reworked for LCD anyway) or in the front compartment (I sorta want to keep my spare, or get run-flats). I've heard you're not supposed to run long IDE cables though. How's this working for you, Joe?

DC Power supply has been talked about already, but I was wondering what the final word is. Also, what about running the computer 24/7? I was thinking about voltage monitoring and auto-starting, though I worry about the car running at random times, without me being there. I'd love to be able to connect remotely to it and send commands from anywhere. I was thinking about trying to reverse-engineer a pager or maybe a direct modem connection? Anyway, as with a lot of you people, mine is just a large bundle of random ideas.

Sorry for the unorganized rant, this thread has helped me a lot though.

Regards,
Kris

------------------
Kris Duck

Little, Yellow, Different

FierosUnlimited

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2003 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierosUnlimitedSend a Private Message to FierosUnlimitedDirect Link to This Post
I also saw the shuttle... but i want something more customized for just the fiero. Something that makes the car unique. Something that makes your friends sh*t a brick when they take a ride. Something logical and usefull... as well as just a "toy"... I have a dream....

------------------
Avid Fiero Enthusiast
Daniel Caddell

FierosUnlimited

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2003 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierosUnlimitedSend a Private Message to FierosUnlimitedDirect Link to This Post

FierosUnlimited

148 posts
Member since Feb 2003
I just went to my fathers today and cut out a piece of wood for the fascia under the dash... the inside might not be fiberglass... i am still working on that... more pics when i get home later...

------------------
Avid Fiero Enthusiast
Daniel Caddell

FierosUnlimited

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2003 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierosUnlimitedSend a Private Message to FierosUnlimitedDirect Link to This Post
*bump*
Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2003 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post
I'm actually using the "Prody Parrot" software that came with the Soundblaster 5.1 card. Works well. The GPS has its own voice recognition system.

The long IDE cable seems to work fine. I am worrying about picking up noise when I lengthen the Audio connector though.

FierosUnlimited

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2003 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierosUnlimitedSend a Private Message to FierosUnlimitedDirect Link to This Post
Joe...
Where did you find the long IDE cable???

------------------
Avid Fiero Enthusiast
Daniel Caddell

Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2003 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post
Bought 100' of cable and the connectors and made it the size I needed. I can make one a custom length for you if you want since I have 95' of it laying around!
FierosUnlimited

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2003 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierosUnlimitedSend a Private Message to FierosUnlimitedDirect Link to This Post
Thanks joe...
I will let you know when i need it done...

------------------
Avid Fiero Enthusiast
Daniel Caddell

85frankenstein

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2003 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85frankensteinClick Here to visit 85frankenstein's HomePageSend a Private Message to 85frankensteinDirect Link to This Post
Did my first one of these units in Mid 1999. The latest one is in my Fiero and is a 333MHz Single Board Computer with a 10.5" LCD on the dash, GPS, MP3, MPG video, Rolodex, Wireless Keyboard in Visor, Remote Control, Hard Wired Navigation Buttons in Console, Custom Front End running in a shell on boot. You can check out the initial pics and install at www.DOHCFiero.com under the "Tips and Tricks" section.

------------------
As Alice Cooper once said...

Feed My.... Frankenstein!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock