Started on: 08-27-2001 03:19 AM
Replies: 20
Last post by: Nashco on 08-28-2001 11:15 PM
Joe Torma

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2001 03:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I have been hesitant to post pics because nothing is finished...and the fact that my video card drivers are so screwed up that I can't capture images from my videocamera doesn't help.

Note that these are a couple of weeks old, so I'm alot further on these things.

Here ya go...

Early pic of speakers in fiberglass pods positioned for best imaging. Cut up old(bad) dash used it as a preshaped surround and screwed a plywood/MDF frame to it in later pic. New guage setup. radio/heater vents& controls angled tword me. Using stock-modified guages.

Various things hanging around...IR receiver for wireless keyboard. Center chanel for Dolby 5.1 is by windshield. Rally guages moved over, the 10.4" touchscreen monitor will be above the vents.

A PIII 450 is more useful than the donut. Fix-a-flat will be handy. Delorme GPS(yelllow box) is mounted above the purple neon lit motherboard(under the window,center) The grey carpeted thing is the drive bays. 2 piece fiberglass and hardboard cover to hide all the ugly stuff will be covered in carpet. Fan controller mounted flush(next to window)

Early pic of case. Spans width of compartment. The drives are mounted on a shock absobing mount. The HD is vertical in a pull-out fan cooled mobile rack. DVD and CD are horizontal.

In-car view of case. The compartment and case has been ventilated with cooling fans. Air will be expelled by stock type blower fan.

The whole setup weighs less than the spare tire, but I will eventually make it out of Aluminum to reduce weight.

The computer is working, out of the car right now. Some stuff still need to be installed.

Why the $#%@ do you need a computer in your car??? Uh, to be cool?!

The main function of the computer is to program the TECII engine control system(below, kinda sideways sitting on the engine in that pic). You don't really need a computer in the car, but its a good excuse. All engine sensors are shown on screen and you can change parameters while testing. Why did I get the TEC? I didn't want to be limited to 85mph...what the van 3400 computer is limited to!

Hope you liked 'em...I'll post some new pics soon.

[This message has been edited by Joe Torma (edited 08-27-2001).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
gargoyle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2001 03:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gargoyleSend a Private Message to gargoyleDirect Link to This Post
Man!!! I thought my little project of just installing a stereo system had taken on a life of its own. I don't feel so bad now. Now whenever I start feeling overwelmed by mine I'll just call up this thread for some quick relief.
Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2001 03:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post
Hehe, I know what you mean...I've been "working on it" for too long...whatcha putting in gargoyle?

I guess I should post some pics of the rest of my 3000+watt stereo system next...also half done.

Ok, little tired now(insomnia).

MikeSchaefer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2001 06:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MikeSchaeferSend a Private Message to MikeSchaeferDirect Link to This Post
Wow, that's very cool Joe! I can't wait to see your finished product.
Mike http://surf.to/fiero
falconhulk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2001 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for falconhulkSend a Private Message to falconhulkDirect Link to This Post
Hey man I am working on something similar. I am mounting a laptop to the pass side dash. Hooked up my pocet GPS and loaded my AAA map software. Also hooked up aa FM transmitter to the line out from the laptop so that I can play MP# and CD's through the standard CD player. Was working great till for some reason my GPS stopped picking up sats. I have not really been anywhere to test it yet but it was great during local tests. The laptop swings up so that the screen is fully extended above the keyboard, so its easy to type. This is an older laptop so it does not have DVD but I can see that in the future if this works out after so long run testing. Just have to work on some kind of cover to hide it or pull it out evrytime I go into a store or something!

------------------

Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2001 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Looks cool, Joe!

How are all of the shocks and jolts of a Fiero gonna impact your computer, especially with it sitting right above the front wheels? And how do you plan to expel heat? Seems like it would get awfully hot in there?

I'm very interested in what you are doing.. great project!

------------------

Tennessee Fiero Owners

Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2001 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post
Bumps won't be a problem(I hope) I designed a mushy mount(technical term ) for the drives. I will hot glue everything important in place. The compartment is ventilated.

Here is a pic of the dash with monitor in position...I got a cool pushbutton starter(right bottom guagepod)

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2001 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post
Hey Joe,

Lookin' good! When/If I ever build my custom Fiero, I want to build a custom interior & dash, too. Please keep us updated on your progress. Let us in on a few details and "how to"s or (maybe more importantly) "how not to do"s.

------------------
Roy :D
87 GT

Bluebottlejunky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2001 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BluebottlejunkySend a Private Message to BluebottlejunkyDirect Link to This Post
uh huh wow!!!!

------------------
Mike
85'GT 4sp
AIM: KilleRedGT

pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2001 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlDirect Link to This Post
Dang, that makes my pentium 233 mp3 player project look like kindergarden stuff

------------------
Rice mobiles are like tampons... Every p@#%y has one.

AIM: phool88fiero

Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2001 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
Sweet deal Joe! Keep us updated with progress What are you installing for a stereo? Are you just going to have a free-floating keyboard, or are you going to have an area reserved for it? Do you have any pics of your "mushy" mounting system, or could you just tell us what you're doing with it? As far as your ventilation, where's the vent/fan air coming and going from? Is there a web page for the TECII control system you're using, that sounds awesome...you can tweak the controls on the fly?

Sorry so many questions, but I'm VERY interested, and you obviously have a little know-how Thanks Joe!

Bryce
88 GT

PFF
System Bot
Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2001 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post
Today's updates:
Voice control installed
GPS Functional

"How not to dos"--Got plenty of them. I've been making things as i go along. This makes it a pain in the arse. I had sketches, and kinda threw them out. I originally wanted to make it look like a new Eclipse's dash...yeah that happened?! Instead of fiberglass mat/cloth I use trunk liner carpet. The stuff requires 1 coat of resin to get stiff and another(oter side) to get solid! No time wasted in layering stuff. Just glue & staple to wood, stretch the stuff and you're good. It isn't smooth, but you just spread some bondo glass over things and sand, and you're good to go. I made my lid scoop this way. I made the scoop out of carboard and put tin foil over it and when the resin dried, removed the carboard easily.

The fiberglass, resin actually, is pretty heavy and hard to get flat. I use 1/8" or 1/4" hardboard for these surfaces--it is fairly light. Apply some resin to the edges and staple the carpet to it and it bonds better than glue. Some more resin and it becomes one piece! Note that if you apply the resin to every side of the harboard it is pretty much waterproof...mmm...possibilites. The stuff is super easy to work with.

Fiberglass is my friend! So is my table saw! I used a plywood frame for the dash screwed to what was left of the old dashboard. There is a convenient spot to screw a new frame to below the defroster vent. It isn't that heavy either.

I see a few people have computers going in their cars!!! So I guess I'll be seeing computers in lots of Fieros soon?! I guess I'll have to come up with some surprises...not that I'm telling all right now

Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2001 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post
Nashco...

Sweet deal Joe! Keep us updated with progress What are you installing for a stereo?

*Premier DEHP930, 12 Disc changer, aux-input box
*3 pioneer GMX924amps... 1:65x4 for front/rear, 2 bridged: 150x2 for Pioneer Diamonplate 8's(4 total)
*For SPL comp, 2 Audiobahn AWP310X 10s powered by 1200x2 HCX2300 amp

So a total of 3260watts@RMS almost double that for max.

Are you just going to have a free-floating keyboard, or are you going to have an area reserved for it?

I tried to mount it somewhere, but there is NO good place for a keyboard in a car!!! It will be hidden in the armrest console.

Do you have any pics of your "mushy" mounting system, or could you just tell us what you're doing with it?

My experiments have resulted in the simplest of mushy mount materials. FOAM. I am using 3" thick air conditioner weatherstrip foam. The trick is to absorb the shock. Springs just bounce around. I'll post pics of my experiments later.

As far as your ventilation, where's the vent/fan air coming and going from?

Enters from ductwork on firewall exits through bottom of trunk(long water deflecting path)

Is there a web page for the TECII control system you're using, that sounds awesome...you can tweak the controls on the fly?
www.getfuelinjected.com They have a new TEC3. more expensive, a couple of new features, but not really an "advantage" over the TECII. The new TEC II software allows more tuning on the fly(not that I've gotten the new version to work yet) It is cool. Like for the base timing, I type a number into the box and hit ENTER and the engine instantly responds and runs different! There are other less expensive systems out there too.

Sorry so many questions, but I'm VERY interested, and you obviously have a little know-how Thanks Joe!

No prob...hmmm...
Alright, yous all know too much. Time to fit yous guys for concrete shoes so yous can swim wit the fishes.

[This message has been edited by Joe Torma (edited 08-28-2001).]

Boomtastic

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2001 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoomtasticClick Here to visit Boomtastic's HomePageSend a Private Message to BoomtasticDirect Link to This Post
Keep up the great work! And keep those pics rollin' in!!!

------------------
Boomtastic

Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2001 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
:goes out and looks at his own piddling projects and thinks:
"phil, you ain't done nuthin'"

you go boyyeee!!!

Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2001 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post
...but are your cars drivable? You're one up one me.

Joe

------------------

David Bartlett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2001 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David BartlettSend a Private Message to David BartlettDirect Link to This Post
Do you think you have troubles with the vinyle coverings? How do you plan to get it looking nice?
Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2001 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Bartlett:
Do you think you have troubles with the vinyle coverings?

Absolutely. I'm expecting one hell of a pain in the arse time doing it.

I think I'll be ok... There will be some well placed(read:convenient-crease hiding) screwed in accent pieces. I discovered a little trick too. The vinyl I got has fabric webbing glued to the back...it naturally stretches one way, but if you sand it off you can stretch it any way you want! I'll be doing this in rough spots.
I will be spray gluing 1/4 foam to every surface and then spray gluing the vinyl to that(stapled on undersides).

Wish me luck...I may start this tonight.

------------------

Steve Normington

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2001 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve NormingtonSend a Private Message to Steve NormingtonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Joe Torma:
Wish me luck...I may start this tonight.

"I just want to wish you both good luck. We're all counting on you."
KRMFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2001 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KRMFieroSend a Private Message to KRMFieroDirect Link to This Post
WOW; Thats all that needs to be said
Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2001 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for answering my questions Joe! Good luck with tonight's project, if you're still at it

I sent you a private message, so check your inbox!

Bryce
88 GT

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock