Started on: 09-18-2002 12:36 AM
Replies: 12
Last post by: Joe Torma on 09-21-2002 12:56 PM
Joe Torma

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2002 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post
I got a crappy little digital camera(and yes it takes crappy little pictures) but figured I'd post a couple of my dash. Not too much progress, I've been working on the computer. Pics of that when done :P

Not sure if I'm happy with with the dash, but it will work for now. Keep in mind that the vent bezels(primer right now) and the CD changer will be silver to keep up the color scheme.

[img]

------------------

DECALS,FIERO SHOWS,STUFF...www.purplefiero.com

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2002 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Wow Joe, Is that the same purple one I saw when I got the rims?? Those pics don't do it justice. This dash is REALLY nice.
sqoach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2002 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post
I will agree with the crappy little pictures
But that doesn't matter. It's looking real good. I'm glad you're going with better sized speakers in the dash. Are you doing some custom door panels too? Looks like it from how the sides of the dash look.
Keep up the good work!

------------------
-Adam
sqoach@yahoo.com

86 SE V6 - daily driver

Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2002 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post
Yup, Jnco, same color that you saw. This purple is so deep it looks black unless its in sunlight!

Sqoach, thanks And yes I am using the Pioneer Premier Refernce Series 6 3/4s Putting 165watts to those and the tweets. I'm not sure what I'm doing about the doors yet, but they are going to be custom. Oh yeah...no more kicking the dashboard on your way out, made sure of that.

There are a lot of things missing that I have yet to make...the LCD panel mount, bezel, center surrouding pieces, O-Sh!t handle on the pass side. Too much work

and now a teaser pic of the computer

[This message has been edited by Joe Torma (edited 09-18-2002).]

onfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2002 03:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for onfireSend a Private Message to onfireDirect Link to This Post
The dash is coming along great. I just have a few questions.

Where are you mounting the computer?

And could you P.M. me, on how much the Electromotive Tec 2 cost you? And if you were too do it over again, would you choose something else?

Thanks in advance.

------------------

FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2002 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Just my 2 cents - make sure you secure that PC card - don't rely on the motherboard holdin' onto it!

Where are you mounting it? beware of da evil condensation!

wingman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2002 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wingmanClick Here to visit wingman's HomePageSend a Private Message to wingmanDirect Link to This Post
what r u making that out of,ive got some designs id like to try.but i dont know what to make them from
thankx
Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2002 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post
The PC Cards are screwed into place like a normal computer. I may make another retainer piece...or just hot glue the edge to socket. All jumpers and cables will get a dab of hot glue to hold them.

The computer is mounted in the front compartment. I have new weather stripping and have sealed the compatment well. I hope I don't have any corrosion falures. Not much more I can do.

The dash is fiberglass. Part painted, part vinyled. Other parts are MDF.

Wipe0ut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2002 02:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Wipe0utClick Here to visit Wipe0ut's HomePageSend a Private Message to Wipe0utDirect Link to This Post
Is that a Pentium II? What are you using it for? What are you doing about the bootup time; is it going to be running all the time?
Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2002 03:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Joe Torma:
The PC Cards are screwed into place like a normal computer. I may make another retainer piece...or just hot glue the edge to socket. All jumpers and cables will get a dab of hot glue to hold them.

The computer is mounted in the front compartment. I have new weather stripping and have sealed the compatment well. I hope I don't have any corrosion falures. Not much more I can do.

The dash is fiberglass. Part painted, part vinyled. Other parts are MDF.

Way back when I talked to you about your setup, as my friend is putting a computer in his car and was interested. I asked about condensation then, and you said it was something you hadn't solved yet.

So, figure anything out to eliminate condensation in the compartment? I was thinking about it today, and it's not all that hard to make a *simple* condensation eliminator, but it's requires a little maintenance.

At the hardware store they sell these units called "Dry-Z-Air" that have silicate (sp?) in a container to absorb moisture (just like the things in your new shoes, but much larger). You could make a canister to contain one of these in the trunk, and swap it out once a month. The silicate bags are only a buck or two each.

I work for Harley-Davidson, and when we get new bikes, they're in huge plastic bags that are taped shut. Inside the bags they have this HUGE silicate bag to absorb any moisture. The thing weighs about a pound and a half, maybe two pounds. It keeps any moisture from getting to the bike, to keep the chrome pretty (we've left bike crates in the Alabama rain for weeks without any noticeable corrosion). They work awesome, and are the same principle as the dry-z-air.

Something you may want to consider. It'd be HORRIBLE if something shorted out due to condensation and messed up your hardware.

Also, if you've sealed the compartment well, how are the fans going to circulate any air? Maybe this isn't an issue with your processor, just curious.

Bryce
88 GT

Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2002 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post
Ya know, and I was going crazy eating all these vitamins just to get the silica packs from them

Well, what I ment is the compartment is sealed from water...moisture is a problem I suppose. I will probably find those big silica packs and try that. The other disaster waiting to happen is the A/C accumulator. All it does is bead water off of it! But for that I have a shield between it and the computer. That of course doesn't stop ambiant moisture.

Heat is a concern and have come up with the "compartment=hot, computer=cool" plan. The computer gets cool air from the intake air ducts and then is vented to the compartment where a larger fan removes it. The A/C air does have a drying effect(like defrost) and is piped into the computer air intake.

PFF
System Bot
Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2002 02:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
Ya, that's a good idea to direct a little of the AC air onto the computer. Like you said, cool and dry...good thinking.

Keep us updated with progress; it sure will be nice to see you get that thing back together and running, you're probably getting almost fed up with it by now!

Bryce
88 GT

Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2002 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nashco:
...you're probably getting almost fed up with it by now!

you have no idea
2 years w/o drivable Fiero.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock