Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Fiero to Corvette Brake Upgrade (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
Fiero to Corvette Brake Upgrade by techman2
Started on: 04-05-2005 10:34 AM
Replies: 240
Last post by: PaulJK on 04-21-2006 04:22 AM
techman2

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2005 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for techman2Send a Private Message to techman2Direct Link to This Post
I have been researching Fiero brake upgrades and have chosen the Corvette based one. The only good information I have found up to this point was on this site http://members.fortunecity.com/bubbajoexx/id215.htm

This is great information, but I was wondering if their is any other sites dedicated to this upgrade.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2005 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by techman2:

I have been researching Fiero brake upgrades and have chosen the Corvette based one. The only good information I have found up to this point was on this site http://members.fortunecity.com/bubbajoexx/id215.htm

This is great information, but I was wondering if their is any other sites dedicated to this upgrade.

There are a few that offer the Vette upgrade depending on year. Look at West Coast Fiero or RCC, they both have the upgrade.

1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2005 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Direct Link to This Post
I too am looking at this set-up.

The site that you have is the best one for information that I have found.

Be certain to take pics, and do a "how to" post so others can become informed also.

My conversion will be a ways down the road.

Best wishes.

John

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2005 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
Can't get anymore how-to than this: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/033676.html

BubbaJoe is a regular contributor here, so he should be able to answer any questions you have.

PS, I think the brake upgrade is somewhere in the middle of that post.

Bob

techman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2005 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for techman2Send a Private Message to techman2Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies, I am looking to do all the work myself so a kit would be a last resort, trying to save a little money. I just thought that since the Corvette brakes are one of the best upgrade you can make, more Fiero owners would have aready done them. I was a little suprized that only BubbaJoe posted a "How To" that all.
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2005 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
I'm working on installing that setup now... Soon as all the parts get here, I'll take pics as its installed...

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/061408.html

[This message has been edited by Jncomutt (edited 04-05-2005).]

Soelasca

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2005 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SoelascaClick Here to visit Soelasca's HomePageSend a Private Message to SoelascaDirect Link to This Post
I'm in the process of putting on the WCF 12/13" brakes on my project car. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you have.

Here's the link
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/056622.html

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2005 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
I have the WCF 12" brakes.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 04-06-2005).]

techman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2005 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for techman2Send a Private Message to techman2Direct Link to This Post
Thanks Jncomutt keep me informed on the process.

Thanks Soelasca and Rickady88GT, but I need to know things like where to get the caliper adapters and concentic rings made and where to get the mounting brackets for the calipers. I do have places where I can get the rotors and calipers, but not the other items needed. And since you both bought the kit from WCF I do not think you can answer these questions.

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2005 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

I have the WCF 12' brakes.

12 foot brakes? Sorry had too....

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
93 Northstar and 5 speed Getrag
219customs@verizon.net
My 86 GT build thread
MY 88 Northstar build thread

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2005 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GSXRBOBBY:

12 foot brakes? Sorry had too....

It's referred to as "Flintstoning".

------------------

My Web page | The Turbo Super Duty Build.

PFF
System Bot
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2005 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
OH shoot I almost gave away my secret.....UH MMmm I ment to say 12inch brakes
At least I did not show the pics of the 12foot brakes the wheels cost me a fortune
techman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2005 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for techman2Send a Private Message to techman2Direct Link to This Post
I would like to see the pics of that, 12 foot brakes, could you imagine the rolling mass.
techman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2005 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for techman2Send a Private Message to techman2Direct Link to This Post

techman2

725 posts
Member since Oct 2002
I am having trouble finding where I can get the mild steel for the adapters and concentic rings locally, any ideas where I can purchase mild steel online.
techman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2005 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for techman2Send a Private Message to techman2Direct Link to This Post

techman2

725 posts
Member since Oct 2002
bump
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2005 02:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post

I am having trouble finding where I can get the mild steel for the adapters and concentic rings locally, any ideas where I can purchase mild steel online.

You should use cold rolled, its alot stronger.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
93 Northstar and 5 speed Getrag
219customs@verizon.net
My 86 GT build thread
MY 88 Northstar build thread

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2005 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
I have not tryed any of these, but I've been collecting the sites just in case:
http://www.metalexpress.net/cgi-bin/index.pl?&=&ac=acHome&mod=core&sid=70e8e55b36f288cca8543528753d40a8
http://www.metalsdepot.com/index.phtml

...thought I had more, but it's a start...
Bob

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2005 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
techman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2005 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for techman2Send a Private Message to techman2Direct Link to This Post
Thanks that is what I was looking for, http://www.metalexpress.net/cgi-bin/index.pl?&=&ac=acHome&mod=core&sid=70e8e55b36f288cca8543528753d40a8 had what I needed in thickness. The others didn't and with a project like this you need the right thickness or your spacing will be off. Some of the people went from 1/4" to 1/2" and missed 5/16" and the others went from 3/4" to 1" and missed 7/8". I didn't want to add shims if I didn't need too.

Thanks again + for you both

techman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2005 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for techman2Send a Private Message to techman2Direct Link to This Post

techman2

725 posts
Member since Oct 2002
bump
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2005 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
I bought brackets for both my brake swaps (11.25 & 12) from Sluppy123, I don't know if he still sells them.
PFF
System Bot
Soelasca

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2005 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SoelascaClick Here to visit Soelasca's HomePageSend a Private Message to SoelascaDirect Link to This Post
The front hubs you can buy seperately from WCF. From what it looks like they are just the front rotor assembly machined down. The brackets and centre rings are pretty straight forward, it might take a little bit of trial and error, but you'd get it eventually.

I did find it slightly challenging finding the correct bolts to use to bolt up the adapter plates. If I remember correctly they were 11mm x 1.5 and 12mm x 1.5. Both were oddball sizes at the bolt house I went too.

techman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2005 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for techman2Send a Private Message to techman2Direct Link to This Post
Thanks again for the replies.

It still suprizes me that as good and as simple as this upgrade is not more people do it.

HellYes

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2005 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HellYesSend a Private Message to HellYesDirect Link to This Post
There are some details that are a little fuzzy on that tutorial.

Questions I had after reading:

Are the rotors a set of front and rear 84-87 corvete rotors, or 4 fronts? Edit: Nevermind, the pictures make that obvious. It's fronts and rears.

Are the 88-96 rear calipers which are recommended to avoid the need for a mechanlical e-brake caliper designed for a 12" rotor or a 13"? I'm not sure if the brake size was an option in that year frame, or if the calipers would be different. Edit: Nevermind, the 13" brakes were on the Corvette GS only.

Great information, I just want to be sure before i lay cash down on very expensive corvette parts.

Edit: Amazing what a little sleep can do.

[This message has been edited by HellYes (edited 04-08-2005).]

pollock

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2005 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pollockSend a Private Message to pollockDirect Link to This Post
Do the vette brakes work well? Are you using the stock Fiero master cylinder?
techman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2005 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for techman2Send a Private Message to techman2Direct Link to This Post
I personally haven't done anything yet. I just started the post to collect information and I thought everyone might benifit from it. In the mentime I am collecting the parts I need.
Jim Gregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2005 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim GregorySend a Private Message to Jim GregoryDirect Link to This Post
I'm currently running 12" Vette rotors on my '88 GT. The only metalworking power tool I have is an old Harbor Freight drill press.

I drilled the 5x100 bolt pattern in the Vette rotors accurately enough that I've not needed centering rings. I prototyped the caliper mounting brackets in wood to get it right, then duplicated them in metal. It was a cinch.

Incidentally, almost any kind of steel will do, The castings used for Fiero (and other) front end components are mild steel, so even a properly designed ALUMINUM bracket will be adequate.

techman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2005 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for techman2Send a Private Message to techman2Direct Link to This Post
In Jncomutt website he uses 0.875" mild steel for the front caliper adapters. I am having trouble find that locally, so I was wondering if I could use the 0.3125" thickness as he did in the rear and just add spacers to makeup the difference.
techman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2005 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for techman2Send a Private Message to techman2Direct Link to This Post

techman2

725 posts
Member since Oct 2002
bump
HellYes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2005 04:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HellYesSend a Private Message to HellYesDirect Link to This Post

In Jncomutt website he uses 0.875" mild steel for the front caliper adapters. I am having trouble find that locally, so I was wondering if I could use the 0.3125" thickness as he did in the rear and just add spacers to makeup the difference.

Go to a machine shop, and ask if they have anything adequate in their scrap bin. I am a machinist, and that's where I get all my metals.

HellYes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2005 04:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HellYesSend a Private Message to HellYesDirect Link to This Post

HellYes

736 posts
Member since Mar 2005
I priced loaded pairs front and rear calipers for the swap at autozone's website, and came up with $443.98 after the core charges that I won't get back because I have no cores. I'll try giving them the shitty fiero brakes as cores. If they take em, that's $188 off the price to $255.98. I have the rotors already, I got a good deal on a set of drilled slotted ones. All i would really need beyond this is piece that holds the caliper. I can easily make the brackets, no rocket science there. Personally, I will be using stainless. I just don't like rust.

[This message has been edited by HellYes (edited 04-09-2005).]

PFF
System Bot
HellYes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2005 05:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HellYesSend a Private Message to HellYesDirect Link to This Post

HellYes

736 posts
Member since Mar 2005
I went and read that thread on the streatch fiero wagon build. Thinking I made a mistake. That thread says the rotors are 88.

Originally posted by bubbajoexxx:

This is a comparison of the two setups the stock on the bottom and the Vette on top
the rotors are 88 and the calipers and brakets are 84 to 87

But i read this at the site when i was double checking what to buy:

here they are 12 " front brakes from 85 corvette fitted to Fiero front spindles

I bought 84-87 rotors. I am assuming I am ****ed.

techman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2005 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for techman2Send a Private Message to techman2Direct Link to This Post
I don't think so, measure the diameter of the rotor it needs to be 12". The thing is in 88 Covette introduced a HD suspension and they had a 13" rotor. If the rotor you bought where for a non HD suspension they should be 12".

But according to WCF you can still use the 13" rotors in front, you just need differant adapters and larger diameter wheels.

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2005 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
bubbajoe states that he uses Front and Rear rotors from an 88 corvette. I don't know the year range for these rotors, but if the ones you bought will fit an 88, you should be alright.

[This message has been edited by Jncomutt (edited 04-09-2005).]

techman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2005 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for techman2Send a Private Message to techman2Direct Link to This Post
bump
jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2005 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
OK, maybe I can help clear some of the questions up since I just put these on a car.

I got my adapters from Sluppy123 as well but the adapters themselves are pretty simple to make and any halfway decent machine shop should be able to turn you the concentric rings. While we're on the subject of concentric rings, before you have them turned you should make the thickness of them a few thousandths thinner than the rotor surface that fits around them. Some rotors (aftermarket) have a pretty large bevel on the backside and bubbajoe's instructions call for them to be pretty thin. We actually had to make new rear rotor concentric rings for our rears and Sluppy123 had ours made EXACTLY to the dimensions listed. I suspect this is a variation between rotors so measure yours and make sure they'll work.

You want to use '88 rotors all around to get rid of the interna drum parking brake in the earlier rotors. You need two front and two rear, use the fronts on the front and the rears on the rear. Unless you want to add a spot caliper like Bubbajoe did you will want to use the '88 rear calipers. If you do you will need to use the '88 mounting brackets the calipers and pads fit into on the back. These are still available from GM new if you can't find them used. For the front, you'll want to use the '87 and earlier calipers and THEIR correct mounting brackets. These brackets are NOT available from GM anymore and you'll have to scrounge them up used somewhere.

If you want to upgrade to SS brake lines the Fierostore's kit works just fine BUT the thread pitch is different on the Corvette calipers than on the Fiero so you are going to need new Banjo bolts to attach the lines to them. The Corvette calipers take a 10mm X 1.0 banjo bolt. I think, IIRC, the Fiero stock is 10mm X 1.5. Regardless, that is the correct bolt you need for the 'Vette calipers and it's different from the Fiero.

If you get rebuilt calipers, they may or may not come with the mounting hardware for the parking brake cable. One of mine did, one didn't. We sent the one that didn't back and got another and it didn't have them either so I just ordered the parts new from GM for a few $$ and they're still available. The cables are going to take something a bit creative and I have a line of that, IF it works I'll post what I did and where I got the parts for that.

The adapters are perfectly fine to be made out of aluminum. They will still be much stronger than the factory mounts. Steel will work fine, of course, but is heavier and overkill.

It's very easy for a machine shop to part the rotors off the hubs. It takes me less than 5 minutes in my lathe for the 'Vette swap because you don't have to machine the surface around the hub to fit inside the rotors like you do in the Grand Am brake swap.

You don't need the 11mm bolts for the Bubbajoe brackets, you drill those threads out and the bolts go in the other way.

ALL of the parts are for the STANDARD BRAKES. Many books have two types listed, standard and something else (sport, HD, high performance, etc.). The standard brakes are the 12" brakes, any of the HP versions are the 13". While I'm sure the 13" can be made to work, the adapters and such will not space the caliper properly.

You need to use the master cylinder for about a '77 Corvette. '77 to about '81 or so was the last series that did NOT have ABS IIRC and that's what you want. The MC will be sized properly for the 'Vette calipers.

We were very precise in locating our lug holes as well but I still recommend using centering rings because there is ALWAYS going to be a little play in your system since there is no tapered nut like on a wheel to center the rotors on the studs.

I would not use spacers. Before I did that I'd get some 1" stock and have it milled to .875". Spacers, I think, in this critical area are a very bad idea.

I got unloaded Calipers at O'Reileys. 18-4183, 18-4184, 18-4323, 18-4234. Total coset was just under $275, but I get a little discount. I didn't ahve any cores either. The front cores were only $5, the rears were $50 each. I did have a used set of front calipers that I got because I bought a set of calipers and brackets on Ebay, but for $5 each I kept them.

I think that covers all the questions in this thread so far.

John Stricker

Russ544

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2005 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post
I found a good source for cheep material to make the concentric rings out of and they just happen to be the exact correct thickness any year Fiero rears work fine btw.

Russ

[This message has been edited by Russ544 (edited 04-09-2005).]

techman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2005 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for techman2Send a Private Message to techman2Direct Link to This Post
Thanks jstricker for the ton of information on your reply, did you ever do an "How to" on this forum about your upgrade.
and you too Russ544, I'll see if I have some used rotors lying around.

+ for you both

techman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2005 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for techman2Send a Private Message to techman2Direct Link to This Post
bump
techman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2005 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for techman2Send a Private Message to techman2Direct Link to This Post

techman2

725 posts
Member since Oct 2002
The way it looks only a few people actually have done this.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock